Author: Subject: Most of my expired cards are inactive users
Absynthia

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Absynthia

puzzled.gif posted on 17-10-2015 at 06:59 PM
Most of my expired cards are inactive users

I've only been a member for a bit over a year now. I have 7 expired sent cards, and 5 of those are inactive members. Two I have written to about the card, but not heard anything back. Another one is about to expire to what looks like an inactive member. It's a bit frustrating to have received addresses to send to, of members who are not active. Does anyone else have similar problems with inactive members?
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2015 at 06:42 AM

I have 24 expired cards currently. 16 of those are to inactive users. Also 4 of my cards close to expiring are travelling to inactive users. 1 of them hasn't been seen for 3 months even though my card has only been travelling 58 days.

It's a very sad (and expensive) fact of life :(
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: klaus3428

[*] posted on 14-11-2015 at 06:07 PM

When I request new addresses I also check out the profile. If they are inactive for three months or more I intend not to send the card, instead send a message to see whether they are still live. OK, I have only been a member for six months and haven't come across this issue. But as was said in this and other threads it does cost quite a bit to send cards so it is frustrating if they go into a black hole. I'd rather wait 60 days to free up a slot.
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 14-11-2015 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by klaus3428  
When I request new addresses I also check out the profile. If they are inactive for three months or more I intend not to send the card, instead send a message to see whether they are still live. OK, I have only been a member for six months and haven't come across this issue.

That's because Postcrossing does not give out addresses of members who have been away from the website for a long time. When an address is given out, the person is considered to be active.

Of course, no one can guess what will happen after that... :(
Eva76

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic
Postcrossing Username: Bluefox76

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 01:06 PM

Hello, 7 expired cards in a year is not so many :) I have 3 expired cards after 3 months here. One was my first ever sent card (Russia), then Lithuania and user inactive for 2 months in England. It is strange as the lady was very active before.
Aderina

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: Aderina

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 08:41 AM

I might be selfish, but truthfully I hope Inactive Members who has "last seen" (at least 3 months) should be deactivated/inactivated automatically.
I had 4 cards traveling more than a year where the user didnt active more than 3 months and now Postcrossing already deleted it from my traveling postcards.

And now left these people:

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/kittycat84
https://www.postcrossing.com/user/rgy199861
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 8-11-2016 at 02:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aderina  
I might be selfish, but truthfully I hope Inactive Members who has "last seen" (at least 3 months) should be deactivated/inactivated automatically.

They already are made inactive automatically if they don't log in after a short time (it is less than 3 months actually). They are also sent several emails from Postcrossing and an email notifying them when their account is automatically going to be made inactive.

Quote:
I had 4 cards traveling more than a year where the user didnt active more than 3 months and now Postcrossing already deleted it from my traveling postcards.

I have looked at EVERY postcard you sent that had been travelling longer than one year and had not been registered and EVERY member used Postcrossing after you got the address.

Quote:
And now left these people:

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/kittycat84

That member logged in AFTER you got their address. They were active when Postcrossing gave you the address.

Quote:
https://www.postcrossing.com/user/rgy199861

That member logged in AFTER you got their address. They were active when Postcrossing gave you the address.

Every member we have given you an address to send a postcard to was active at the time we gave you the addresses. Postcrossing doesn't own a crystal ball (maybe someone can send us a working one?) so we cannot predict when a member stops using Postcrossing after we give you an address.

We do our best (multiple emails are sent over the time, accounts made inactive, accounts blocked etc.) in reminding those members about their accounts and postcards they should have received and really other than physically going to each members door I don't feel that Postcrossing can do any more.

Can you suggest anything else we can do?

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-

Mood: We need to keep hope alive and strive to do better. ☮ RIP Kofi Annan

[*] posted on 8-11-2016 at 10:18 AM

Mundoo, the Postcrossing Team do a very good work and it's a lot that you do.

But what's about these users (e.g.)

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/Finaroxos
last online 11 month ago
I got the address last year 31st December

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/Pipu
last online 8 month ago
I got the address 28th March

Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 12:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by -Bille-  
Mundoo, the Postcrossing Team do a very good work and it's a lot that you do.

But what's about these users (e.g.)

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/Finaroxos
last online 11 month ago
I got the address last year 31st December

That member used Postcrossing in the same month you got their address. They sent a postcard that was received 30 December so were entitled to a postcard back at that time. Making an account inactive after two or three weeks is not viable. What if the member went on holidays, what if they had a computer issue, what if they were sick, what if they were having exams and the list goes on. Postcrossing has emailed that member since and made the account inactive.

Quote:
https://www.postcrossing.com/user/Pipu
last online 8 month ago
I got the address 28th March

Exactly the same scenario with this member. Sent a postcard that was registered on 27 March so entitled to a postcard back. Used Postcrossing within the same month. We have emailed reminding etc etc.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 06:06 PM

I am curious how and when the decision is made to close an inactive user's account?

Just a few days ago, I had a card that was registered at 259 days because the inactive user's account was finally closed. I had another that auto-registered at day 60 and that user's account was closed as well.

However, I have other cards sent to inactive users (Fontein-Dordrecht and tiinaeveliina) that expired long before these 2 mentioned . Theirs are almost at the year mark.

While I am glad that other 2 cards got registered (especially the 259 day one sent to my own country), shouldn't the older inactive accounts be deleted first?
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 3-9-2018 at 06:46 PM

Someone can (please!) correct me here if I am wrong, but @SnowApple I do not think Postcrossing will close an account except if they believe someone is abusing it. (edit to add: of course, a person can choose to close their own account at any time!) An inactive account (more than 30 days without log-in) will be ticked so that the person's address will not be given out any more. But simply being inactive will not cause an account to be closed. Someone can log in and start being active even after several years of inactivity. So this means that sometimes you might have bad luck and send to someone who never registers your card but still keeps their inactive account. The card will just drop off after a year, there is nothing you can do about it. It has definitely happened to me, more than once but fortunately not very often.
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  
I do not think Postcrossing will close an account except if they believe someone is abusing it.

That's correct. Postcrossing will only close an account when there's clear evidence of abuse, and the person has not responded to our several messages trying to get them to fix the issue.

@SnowApple Both members that you point out have lost but a few postcards, so there is not sufficient evidence of wrong-doing. Sadly, postcards do get lost now and then. Postcrossing does not have the resources to poke every member that loses a few postcards... that wouldn't be feasible. :(

Go To Top

Imprint