Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Postcard wall : favourites and wishlist
Iside82

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: Iside82

Mood: I'm sorry but lately my cards are very slow to arrive. Please be patient!

[*] posted on 24-2-2016 at 12:51 PM
Postcard wall : favourites and wishlist

Currently many people (I am one of them) use to put in their favourite wall either cards they received and liked very much and card they like from other people's walls. In this way if someone look at our favourites wall they can have an idea of which kind of cards we like more, but there is also a risk they will send a card - seen there - we have already received from someone else.

I don't know if this has been proposed before, but what about adding a new postcard wall, to separate favourite cards (cards we like but we don't wish to receive, for example because we already have them) and wishlist cards (postcard from other people's walls we like very much and we would love to receive)?

Nebelung

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nebelung

[*] posted on 27-3-2016 at 06:54 AM

I would like that very much!
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 11:20 AM

I like the idea. But I'm afraid it could be confusing, for instance for newbies and those who don't speak English very well.
Mulle

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Mulle

[*] posted on 6-5-2016 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Iside82  
Currently many people (I am one of them) use to put in their favourite wall either cards they received and liked very much and card they like from other people's walls.

Why do you do that?

When you see a card at the gallery that you like, then give a heart. The sender will be pleased. Maybe you some day get exactly that card. (It happened to me, that was so cool!)

When you receive a card that you like, let the sender know it in your hurray mail. There is no competition like "whose cards are the most favourited", only you can see how much of your cards are popular.

As you wrote - your sender can have an idea of which kind of cards you like more - I think this is the idea of the favourite wall.

When I get an address to send, I first look at the profile (are there special wishes?), then I watch the favourites and choose my country. But if there are thousands of favourites (I think I should say "orders") - I don't know if I would be patient enough to scroll through the mass and when something fits to extra check if the my recipient is the owner of that card already...

Well, I don't know if it is a kind of nettiquette to heart a card you received. I get the hurray mail - the recipient likes my card and I'm happy - and then a favourite mail arrives. Wow, who else likes my card? Oh, it's the recipient, I know already, ... Alzheimer's disease or does he want to show the whole postcrossing world that he likes my card? But why should he do that? A postcrossing member must click on the card to see if it is favourited, so there's a very small chance that the whole postcrossing world sees that my recipient likes my card... :puzzled:

That's just my oppinion, I hope it is understandable, I don't want to insult anybody.
Tigerin81

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Tigerin81

[*] posted on 24-10-2017 at 08:03 PM

This has been discussed many times before, and my opinion is the same - one Favourite wall is enough.
I'm strongly against adding another list and more confusion.

I use my Favourites wall as my wishlist (because I like favourite tags in the forum) and many people do the same.
I'm very confused and angry if I look through someone's Favourites in search of a card for them and suddenly I find that some cards were received by the user! It is very frustrating for me and not at all nice of the user to make me check every card.

I think adding a "heart" to your received cards is quicker and easier for some users rather than take time and effort to write a comprehendable "Thank you" message for the sender (in your Hurray message).

Also, don't forget that there are comments under each card in the gallery, so if you really like the card (but do NOT want to get it yourself) and want everyone to know about it - just drop them a line, they will be notified the same way as if you'd added a "heart", and it will make them happy. No need to actually add this card to your own Favourites if all you want is to let someone know you like their card.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 24-10-2017 at 09:29 PM

I have posted elsewhere that like Iside82 I use my "favorites" wall for received cards. Why? Because I reserve it for cards I especially like to remember. Sometimes when I want to feel good I do a "slideshow" and just watch my favorite received cards flash slowly in front of me. I can remember the good feeling I got from these cards even when I am not in a place where I can access the physical copies of them, or when I do not have time to do so.

Also, sometimes I add cards to my favorites that I really think are great for some reason but that I would not want to receive. I know that may be hard to imagine, but it is true! For example, many people have made the first Postcrossing card, PT-1, a favorite, but I do not think that means they are longing to receive that particular image, it is just that they like that it was the first Postcrossing card.

This is why I would really like to have two distinct walls. "Favorites" for cards you like (whether you received them or someone else did) but that you are not asking other people to send you, and a special "Wish List" wall for cards you would like to receive.

I do not think it would be that complicated, because I think most people would understand what "Wish List" means.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 02:24 PM

I use my favourite wall as a wall of favourites from all postcrossing postcards uploaded. Sometimes a card that I received or sent is on them. I do like to receive cards from my favourites wall, if I receive several of the same, it's fine as well.

My received wall is a wall of my favourite received cards. Cards I do not like so much I do not upload to my wall.

An extra wall is not necessary if you just delete all cards you do not like from your wall, so only your favourites are showed there. This will safe data in the cloud!

lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 04:22 PM

A wishlist wall is a bad idea. It goes against the Postcrossing rule that says you can't request specific cards. Suggestions of themes you like is ok, but having a wall of postcards you would like to receive is basically like saying: Please send me these postcards. It's way too specific. If this idea was implemented, I wouldn't like it and I wouldn't use it.

Quote: Originally posted by Tigerin81  

I'm very confused and angry if I look through someone's Favourites in search of a card for them and suddenly I find that some cards were received by the user! It is very frustrating for me

Why is that confusing and frustrating? I don't get it. I don't favorite cards I receive, but I have no problem with other people who do. It's their wall, so why would the way they use it affect me? It's not their job to make sure their wall is easy for me to browse if I decide to.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 05:30 PM

This idea from 2013 could solve the problem without having separate favorites/wish lists:
https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=75986 - I'd support that.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 10:15 PM

I use the favorites as cards I would like to receive and state this in my profile...once I receive it, I pull it off the list to avoid getting a duplicate (although I would be happy to receive another as the sender, stamps & message would be different).

I like the idea of a wish section!
isinesunshine

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: isinesunshine

Mood: :iink:

[*] posted on 4-7-2018 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ninja  
This idea from 2013 could solve the problem without having separate favorites/wish lists:
https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=75986 - I'd support that.

I think this is the best and most feasible solution to the problem.

But everyone conscious of the problem that others might send duplicates because of "hearted" received cards can write about it in their profile and mention that there are received cards on the favorite wall. In my eyes, giving this information in the profile text is up to each user.
Petre

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Petre

[*] posted on 17-8-2018 at 04:23 PM

You could just make the postcard ID on the favorites wall bold if it has been received by the user.
That would be visible when browsing the wall without huge changes to the page/workings of it all.
jasondavidsforum

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: JasonDavid

[*] posted on 28-11-2018 at 04:49 PM

"You could just make the postcard ID on the favorites wall bold if it has been received by the user. That would be visible when browsing the wall without huge changes to the page/workings of it all."

Great suggestion, petre!
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 08:13 AM

+1 for favourites and wishlist

Go To Top

Imprint