Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Use my timezone please
Volodya

Postcrossing Username: Volodya_VA

[*] posted on 6-10-2016 at 10:33 AM
Use my timezone please

I know that on the 'Traveling', 'Received', and 'Sent' pages the dates actually have time associated with them, because the time traveled changes throughout the day and not all together. But the sent time for some reason displays time where the server is and not the time where the user viewing the page is.

For example, i have requested two addresses a few minutes after midnight yesterday, but the date that is shown to me right now is 4th of October, which is incorrect. I do know that it was still 4th of October to the West of me, but it was not 4th of October here.

This would be a trivial code to have a timezone in the settings or maybe even get the correct timezone based on the city that the person enters, and then do the trivial math.

Heck, you could even do that on the client's side by Javascript if you are concerned with loading the servers. Then you'd just send the datetime as a parameter of the tag, and then have a simple script recalculate the date and alter the default that's already there.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 12:23 AM

I think I had a similar issue. I had 2 cards that were going to expire on day 60 on the same day. I was anxiously awaiting this because I'm only able to send 7 at a time, so I was ready and eager to start sending. But the slots didn't free up at midnight my time like I thought they would. They didn't free up until almost at the end of day 60. I may just be impatient, though. :P
lew2424

Country Flag:
United States

United States

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2017 at 03:28 AM

I agree. I will often be registering postcards in the early evening and the cards will show up received with the next days date.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Volodya  
This would be a trivial code to have a timezone in the settings or maybe even get the correct timezone based on the city that the person enters, and then do the trivial math.

Interesting and funny video about the not-always-so-trivial math of timezones in computer programming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

(of course most of the time programmers can use open source libraries which solve most of these issues - just to show that the math of timezones is actually very complex).
Princess-Jo

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: J-Francis

Mood: Receiving beautiful postcards

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 04:32 AM

Also why did I pull 12th when I asked for new address at 00:01 am which is 13th

Go To Top

Imprint