Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  12
Author: Subject: Repeated Countries Stats, Contests, Advice and Discussion (Bragging) thread
xxzhw

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: eglantineh

Mood: NEW address

[*] posted on 1-10-2016 at 05:44 PM

Well, at least I can claim more than 90% cards registered in Russia this month.
My other stats are not going in the right direction. Ugh, I had one card registered at 74 days because the cards were piling up at the post office and not getting delivered (according to the hurray message).
Let's see what happens in October (I have more expired postcards so the average and median travel time are probably not going to get better anytime soon).

Yeah, I also get some countries other than Russia occasionally. I had one card to the US this month.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 04:56 PM

Today: China (not that unusual), Czechia (new name for a common country, still a first for me as repeated country) and Malaysia (!) mixed in among the Russian addresses. How am I supposed ever to get 100 % Russia if postcrossing keeps throwing these other addresses at me? ;) :D
kentish belle

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: kentish_belle

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 05:40 PM

When I first switched to repeated countries I asked for several addresses and got Trinidad and Tobago amongst all the Russian ones. Since then I've been asking for one address at a time, and so far I've been getting only Russia. It will seem very strange now to send anywhere else!
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 8-10-2016 at 06:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honzuki  
I drew an address in Hong Kong this week.

And with this my Russian series stopped at 16 cards registered consecutively - my longest series so far.
xxzhw

Country Flag:
France

France

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 05:38 PM

congratz :thumbup:
siobhan

[*] posted on 13-10-2016 at 10:52 AM

Last time I got France and Japan mixed in, this time: the Netherlands. :D
And I had my streak of all Russian sent cards broken after 11 by a card to the Czech Republic.
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 14-10-2016 at 07:01 AM

I drew the Netherlands today too. :D
kentish belle

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 17-10-2016 at 01:37 PM

I've just asked for an address, and was surprised to be given Finland! So now I've got 12 on their way to Russia and this latest one on its way to Finland.
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2016 at 08:11 PM

I've just ended a run of 30 Russian addresses by asking for 6 more and receiving 2 from Germany and one from the USA.
siobhan

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 01:26 PM

Today's random country other than Russia: Norway! :bouncing: :D
kentish belle

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 01:54 PM

Im now on my maximum of 15 cards travelling - 14 to Russia, and the other to Finland.
angeleye

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: angeleye

Mood: We are exploding colours that shine in purple and green and red

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 08:02 PM

I received an unusual flood of cards in the last two weeks.

By the end of September, my sent and received cards were pretty much even, with a tendency to more received than sent. So I expected that I wouldn't receive many cards in October. However, one day I had seven cards at once in my mailbox (this never happened before) and more cards kept coming, many of them sent on the 1st or 2nd October. By now I have received 12 cards that were sent on those two days, plus a few others from different dates.

None of my sent cards were registered on those days, for the cards that were registered at the end of September, my address was given out on the same day. So I wasn't due any more cards. The only thing I can think of: I sent 15 cards on the 1st October, 14 of them were going to Russia. So could this have been some sort of Bonus for sending many cards that might travel more slowly?

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering, did this happen to anyone else since activating repeated countries?
siobhan

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 09:17 PM

Hmm, I have a constant flow of postcards, with cards getting registered almost every day (usually more than one, too) and me receiving several cards every day. So I can't say that my address was given out on a day that none of my sent cards were registered, and I don't believe that the turnover of addresses is that instant anyway - a card may be registered on Monday, but the address isn't given out again until Tuesday because the queue is so long.
However, I am surprised at how many cards I've been receiving in the past few weeks, reducing my gap from around -60 to currently -19 (it was down to -14, I believe, at some point). Not sure if there's some sort of compensation or bonus going on, I don't really see how that would work. I guess it's more that because I have only very few cards traveling only a week or shorter, the cards I was due to receive are now catching up because my sent cards take longer.
To me this is a downside of sending to repeated countries, because once my cards have caught up and my account is balanced, will I still have a steady inflow of cards? (On the other hand, I'll set my account to inactive in a month or so anyway and I'll build up a huge difference in that time again, so maybe it doesn't matter at all in the end.)
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 09:43 PM

On 14 October I got a message saying "Now YOU will receive...", the first for about a month or so.

On that day my address was given out 3 times.
On the 15th I got another Hurray message and my address was given out twice.
On the 16th I got two Hurray messages and my address was given out 5 times.
On the 17th I got 1 message and so far received 5 cards sent on that date.

And that's only from fast postal services.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 12:35 PM

Yay a place where I can vent ;)

I am not complaining but I want to relate my experience as a fairly new postcrosser :)

So when I joined I read all about how it works and did guess that the 'repeated countries' thing basically means Russia. Cool, I say, I like Russia so I am happy to send a lot of things there.

But I was a bit silly as I drew all my first five addresses with repeated countries on, so they all went to Russia. Which meant I was out of the game for over a month, not able to send anything else or receive anything (in fact I've been around exactly two months and only received my first two postcards last week).

So I was this overexcited new member unable to do much else than waiting (I know, the waiting bit is important) and counting days and wondering if it had been long enough to get to Russia.

I know this is how it goes so as I said, not complaining, just a very impatient first month. Got myself a couple of penpals in the meantime... I now learnt how quickly post gets to Germany and Poland for example!

So from now on I will switch 'repeated countries' on and off a bit... (it was off after my Russian ones started to arrive, so I sent out a couple to other places and it is now on again). Now that I can send more I can maybe aim to have 4 to Russia and 2 slots free for hopefully quicker ones... (just waiting for November now as I exceeded my budget buying too many postcards so I have a stack at home).

So yes. The experiences of a new postcrosser. I don't do stats that much though :)
xxzhw

Country Flag:
France

France

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 03:03 PM

@elikoa: I can relate, when I re-started postcrossing last year I had exactly the same experience...

I wish the "repeated countries" option was available directly on the "send a postcard" page, not hidden in the "edit your profile" page. This way we could easily split the available slots between Russia and other countries.
And additionally it would make this option more visible.
I think I'll go to the suggestions part of the forum right away to suggest this...
DorH

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: DorH

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 03:22 PM

I try to regard it as "slow postcrossing", like the slow food movement -- I try to get a 'favourite' for each card sent (that arrives!), and I signed up for the Russian oblast bingo ;-)
siobhan

[*] posted on 24-10-2016 at 05:28 PM

The last two times I requested addresses with the repeated countries option, I actually only got Russia. :) Since many of my cards to China were registered and some others expired, I now have only 4 cards (of 59) not going to Russia.
Lachgas

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Lachgas

Mood: back again after a long time

[*] posted on 27-10-2016 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by xxzhw  

I wish the "repeated countries" option was available directly on the "send a postcard" page, not hidden in the "edit your profile" page. This way we could easily split the available slots between Russia and other countries.
And additionally it would make this option more visible.
I think I'll go to the suggestions part of the forum right away to suggest this...

That would be a good idea :thumbup:
Lachgas

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Lachgas

Mood: back again after a long time

[*] posted on 27-10-2016 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by angeleye  

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering, did this happen to anyone else since activating repeated countries?

I'm having more received than sent atm too (were constantly between 6-15 more sent before), but I don't think that's a kind of bonus (would wonder why there should be one) although I don't have an idea why they are there (not so many which expired so that the address was in pool a second time) and the russian sents weren't really long in transit either (14-about 20 days often).
Will put off repeated for some cards (had ticked it for all my 20 addresses the last weeks) so that it will even out again.
siobhan

[*] posted on 27-10-2016 at 05:30 PM

Now, for the first time ever (!) in my over 8 years of postcrossing, I have received more cards than I have sent - 6377 to 6379. I'm thinking of setting my account to inactive a littler earlier than I usually do for Christmas, because this is making me feel a little weird. No idea if it is connected to sending mostly to Russia, but I don't want to stop doing that at the moment. Still, I kind of dread my first registration message that won't tell me that now I will receive a postcard from another member ... :mad:
xxzhw

Country Flag:
France

France

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 04:49 PM

ah? It happens to me all the time... so I get postcards back in fits and bursts...

Got a Chinese address yesterday :D
siobhan

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 05:51 PM

I know it's not uncommon for postcrossers from rare countries (read: not Russia or Germany), but for us "commoners" it usually doesn't happen. There is, after all, a backlog - these are the cards we are waiting for. ;) We are due many cards, that's why sending to repeated countries is an issue at all. Germany of course is not half as "bad" as Russia, but our addresses are waiting in the queue as well.

Today's random countries: Canada and United Kingdom.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

[*] posted on 28-10-2016 at 07:21 PM

My longest streak of cards registered to Russia in a row is 27. :)
March 2014-August 2015.
xxzhw

Country Flag:
France

France

[*] posted on 29-10-2016 at 07:49 PM

@fire.maggie: well done :D

This week for the first time I received an official on which the sender commented that he saw the message about country imbalance on my profile and might give a try to the "repeated countries" option.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  12

Go To Top

Imprint