Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How to peel off self-adhesive stamps?
baron

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sergery

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 03:00 AM

The Bestine and baby powder solution works perfectly, you can find Bestine in arts and crafts stores and it's also great for removing labels as well (like when the post office ruins your stamps with a label or sticker!)
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dst121gr  
Use wd40 and powder for the glue. You can find some videos on YouTube :)

Wow, that's one thing I wouldn't have thought of using wd40 for!
Mimi-Lucia

Country Flag:
United States

United States

Mood: Relaxing in the sun

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 12:54 PM

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Citrus-Magic-Natural-Eliminating-Freshener/dp...

Just spray on the back of the card, stamp can be removed a couple of minutes later. Works very fast and the room smells like oranges. Usually it doesn't destroy the card.
Freezeframe03

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: freezeframe03

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 08:59 PM

I remove stamps from envelopes by dipping a Q-Tip into rubbing alcohol and rubbing it on the envelope behind the stamp. The stamp will then peel right off. A postcard is thicker so it would take a little more/longer to soak the cardstock paper. If you put the alcohol on the stamp, the cancellation marks will bleed, so don't do that.
msteblovnik88

Country Flag:
Slovenia

Slovenia
Postcrossing Username: msteblovnik88

Mood: Let's go Red Wings!

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 11:35 AM

I just found out that most of self adheshives go down from paper if soaking them in hot water but you still have to peel them off a bit... So far I tried it with US, Canadian, Slovene, Estonian, Norwegian, Finnish, Swiss, Austrian, German, UK, Russian, Czech and New Zealandic stamps and it worked well.
I am only warning you that it does not work with FRENCH and some AUSTRALIAN stamps.
Happy collecting!!!
Martin
naello

Country Flag:
Denmark

Denmark
Postcrossing Username: naello

[*] posted on 11-2-2017 at 03:23 PM

So I've tried a lot of stuff underways now.
My top-solution:

Orange-Oil!
I couldn't find it in Denmark but in Germany you can get it at any health shop as organic cleanser. I slit the back of the postcard in a fishnet-pattern and attach some of the oil with q-tips, wait a little to let it soak through – and then I pull the stamp off like nothing. Then i rub the back of the stamp with some more oil to remove the stickyness.
Bonus: Smells awesome.

Number two:
Sticker Remover
It works but it can damage some stamps because it doesn't only remove the glue but in some cases the printings as well.

Other chemicals did not work well for me and I am very happy with the orange oil. :)

MrGrumpy

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: MrGrumpy

[*] posted on 14-2-2017 at 06:03 PM
Citrus-based Air Freshener Removes Adhesive

This works very well on US stamps. I wouldn't recommend it for postcards though. It needs to soak through the paper from the back to work best. For removing stamps from envelope trimmings, I put the stamped pieces face down on a small plate and give them a very quick spritz of spray. It doesn't take much. Let it rest for 30 seconds or so, and then gently slide spade-tipped tweezers underneath the edge of the stamp and separate it from the paper. Go slowly. If there is resistance, don't rush. Let it sit a few seconds longer. You can generally see the stamped paper changing color as the citrus dissolves the adhesive. Once the stamp is free but still damp from the spray, I place it face down on a clean flat surface and, working from the middle out to the edge, gently scrape the glue from the back with a stiff credit card-like piece of plastic. I usually finish by lightly rubbing the back of the stamp with a paper towel or soft cloth. Adhesive is gone. No need for talc or other powder. The citrus quickly evaporates and you're left with a clean stamp. :)
Loli-ts

Country Flag:
Spain

Spain
Postcrossing Username: Loli-ts

puzzled.gif posted on 27-2-2017 at 03:29 PM
"Rough-to-unstick" stamps: an alternative to bestine?

¡Hola! Someone long time ago suggested in the forum that "bestine" was the bes thing to clean hard glue on p. ex. USA, Marianne on Russian castles stamps, I looked for this in an art shop and it really worked!, but it seems that the product isn't sold anymore in Spain :-( So dou you know another way to unstick and clean this kind of stamps?
Please heeeeelp!!
¡Un saludo desde Barcelona!

[EDIT] moved the post and merged to the original thread by the moderator
Dgiles

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Dgiles

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 01:47 AM
How to peel off self-adhesive stamps

Folks:

As a Canadian stamp dealer, I can tell you that the Canadian self-adhesive stamps will soak off in warm water after five minutes or so.

The American and British self-adhesive stamps are stuck there for good. Just leave them on. If you start using chemicals to take them off, you may ruin the stamp, postcard or yourself.

Exercise caution!

David in Ottawa, Ont. Canada

Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 21-6-2017 at 05:36 AM

Australia Post has introduced new technology which destroys peel and stick stamps if you try and remove them. They say it is to prevent fraudulent re-use of stamps that, due to AP's own negligence, do not receive a postmark when mailed. So collectors will have to display them "on piece" or on the whole item of mail.

Most peel and stick stamps in OZ are also available in regular gummed format, but these only account for a small percentage of postally used stamps.When I started collecting stamps as a child, part of the enjoyment was soaking them off envelopes and putting them in albums, but this is no longer an option on the whole.

leaflets

Country Flag:
China

China
Postcrossing Username: leaflets

[*] posted on 23-6-2017 at 02:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Iambowyum  
Australia Post has introduced new technology which destroys peel and stick stamps if you try and remove them. They say it is to prevent fraudulent re-use of stamps that, due to AP's own negligence, do not receive a postmark when mailed. So collectors will have to display them "on piece" or on the whole item of mail.

Most peel and stick stamps in OZ are also available in regular gummed format, but these only account for a small percentage of postally used stamps.When I started collecting stamps as a child, part of the enjoyment was soaking them off envelopes and putting them in albums, but this is no longer an option on the whole.

Yes some stick stamps especially Australian, even they can be soaked off from envelopes, the stamps will become thinner.
Collect used stamps will be a problem.
jmh67

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: jmh67

[*] posted on 4-8-2017 at 09:42 AM

This topic seems to pop up again and again, maybe it is time to put it in the FAQ?

As a rule, any hydrocarbon-based solvent can soften the self-adhesive gum. That can be lighter fuel, turpentine, turpentine substitute, air freshener, petroleum, ... Put some drops of the solvent on the stamp, or better on the back of the paper it is stuck on if it is not too thick. As MrGrumpy already suggested, once the gum is softened, you can pull the stamps or stickers off the paper or cardboard, and scrape the remaining gum off with the edge of a ruler, an old telephone card, or a similar implement. Wipe the back of the stamp or the sticker with a solvent-soaked cloth or paper towel to remove any remaining glue.

Note that these solvents are flammable and may be bad for your health, so do this only if you think you must, and at your own risk. A well ventilated workplace is recommended, wearing suitable gloves may be a good idea. Note also that some printing inks are soluble in hydrocarbons, too. WD-40 or similar lubricants are chemically rather aggressive, if you use them, you better wash the stamps in some clean solvent - so why not use it straight away. Also avoid any perfumed stuff. You'll never know what the additional ingredients (besides the solvent) do.

Lastly, philatelists often prefer "entires" with fully visible (and legible) postmarks, so you might want to consider leaving the stamps on piece, or soak off only the one specimen you want for your collection of single stamps.
CoffeeDrinker

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: CampingGinny

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 12:47 PM

I simply cut off the corner with the stamp, drop it into a bowl of hot water for a couple of minutes. The stamp peels right off.
Loli-ts

Country Flag:
Spain

Spain
Postcrossing Username: Loli-ts

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 08:42 PM

Hi everybody again... I have been using Bestine and it worked well!, but they stopped selling it in Spain one year ago and my last tin is empty :-( I have tried to buy it on the internet and that's impossible... I have asked at some philatelic shops in Barcelona and they used to have also a UHU product but it's out of stock...
Finally I orderer in Am...on a British product called "Sticky Stuff Remover" by De-Solv-It and it works... but it's oily and stamps get "tanned"!!
Have you got a solution for this?
Thord

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: Thord

[*] posted on 18-2-2019 at 06:10 PM

For Spain try using Hand Gel, otherwise known as antibacterial hand wash / Antíseptico de manos.

"Sterillium Gel" is one you can get at most Farmacias and works well, another is called "Cien".
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint