Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Why does everybody write exactly the same?
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Corydoras  
But back on topic: From all your reactions I get the feeling only I am getting these generic Hurray Messages. And I seriously wonder why. :duh:

Everyone gets these generic messages. But there are others that are personal and responsive and funny, and it's better to concentrate on those. :)
Anyway, I doubt you're doing anything "wrong" - if anything you're pobably just a bit unlucky.
Green-Zombie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Green-Zombie

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 10:26 PM

I think a lot of the time it comes down to limited or uncomfortable English language skills. You never know if people are using Google translate, or if English is their 3rd or 4th language, or heck, maybe they don't speak English at all so "thank you" and "I'm xyz from xyz" might be all they can write.

Of course there are lazy people too. We all are bound to get them at times. I think you are just on an unlucky streak at the moment. ;) hopefully it gets better for you soon!!
Corydoras

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Corydoras

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2017 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. :)

As for myself, I'll never stop writing long messages on cards and in Hurrays! :roll:
AnnaofEkaburg

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Dobermanna

Mood: Fun time is over now and still no one is satisfied

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 05:43 AM

I admit it's rather boring to read letters that look similar to each other...:(
In my profile, I mentioned that I prefer informative messages. It didn't help. Most of the time I receive postcards with standard greetings.
But I can excuse people for that. Everyone has their own language skills (=
Also I think one does not exclude the other. So I'm trying to write long, extended messages along with my name, age and occupation. :D I myself prefer to know that kind of information about the sender.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 06:39 AM

[From all your reactions I get the feeling only I am getting these generic Hurray Messages.

Oh no, not at all. I get those too.

Personally I make a point of really trying to write good Hurrays that have something to do with what the sender sent and/or wrote.

But I have a Hurray template of sorts, I tend to write "Dear <name>, Thank you <very much, if I especially liked it> for the <appropriate adjective> card from/about <subject>. <Comment either about subject or something written on the card.> Happy postcrossing!"

Worst case scenario this turns into "Hi, thank you for the card. Happy postcrossing". But that's rare.

BUT when I first started out, I tended to write "Thank you for the card" or even just "Thank you". :alien384: It took me unreasonably long to realize that Hurrays matter! So I figure that may be the case for others as well, those who do short or no Hurrays even when it's obviously not a language issue, for example.
komandorsha

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Komandorsha

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 08:06 AM

I don't pay much attention both to messages on cards and hurrays. I myself usually write the same postcard message: "Dear ...! Greetings from Moscow! Hope you'll like this postcard". I write about the postcard if necessary (if I send something which describes Russian realia), but mostly I just go on with "have a good day" and "sincerely yours". My hurray messages are also the same in most cases: "Dear ...! Thank you for a nice/lovely/beautiful postcard! All the best, Valentina". And, truth be told, I expect the same in return. I find it weird when people start telling me about themselves in their postcards, it's too personal. And I don't expect any praises in hurrays, a mere "thank you for the card" is enough.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 09:02 AM

Hehe of course you would say that, you tend to be a little contrary don't you :)
mchay

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: mchay

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 12:06 PM

But back on topic: From all your reactions I get the feeling only I am getting these generic Hurray Messages. And I seriously wonder why. :duh:

i just checked and one out of my last seven hurrays is a pretty long and nice reaction to my card and what i wrote and the rest is just an average 'thank you very much'. which i take as they still appreciate and like the card so i'm fine with those too.

Quote: Originally posted by komandorsha  
I don't pay much attention both to messages on cards and hurrays. I myself usually write the same postcard message: "Dear ...! Greetings from Moscow! Hope you'll like this postcard". I write about the postcard if necessary (if I send something which describes Russian realia), but mostly I just go on with "have a good day" and "sincerely yours". My hurray messages are also the same in most cases: "Dear ...! Thank you for a nice/lovely/beautiful postcard! All the best, Valentina". And, truth be told, I expect the same in return. I find it weird when people start telling me about themselves in their postcards, it's too personal. And I don't expect any praises in hurrays, a mere "thank you for the card" is enough.

the message is actually the first i read. the reason i've joined postcrossing is not only for the postcards but i like to get to know other countries and i like what people have to tell me, whatever it is. for example i get quite a few cards from people who have cats (like i do) and tell stories about their cats, i love that.
and even when you don't like talking about yourself that doesn't mean you have to write the same two sentences on every card. i usually write about what's on the card, whether it's a touristic card of an illustration or i tell fun facts i know about some animal.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 01:23 PM

I don't like the idea of suggesting topics to write about on my profile, I find it a little patronising. So far, most postcards I got had long and interesting messages. I'm getting a few that list their hobbies, which I find a bit profile-like, but mostly I am pleased with what I get. A couple of them were short and generic but it could be language (also, one of them was a child from Russia - the message was in English so she might know only a few sentences).

When I write on the postcards, I like to write about the postcard, and something on the topic of the place/thing it represents. But I often spend a couple of lines telling about myself (eg. the postcard is from X city but I live in Y), but I am trying to do less of it, or in a shorter way, as it doesn't leave enough space for aaaalllll I want to say. The difficult one is Russia as I tend to write in Russian and I feel that I need to explain why I speak some Russian/why I am writing in Russian, as I think it can be a bit weird to some people to receive a card in Russian from a non-native (of course a lot of people learn it, but not that many overall).

I also don't recall having that many boring Hurrays. One of them, quite early on, was short and I wondered a bit if the receiver had disliked my card, but maybe it was just that they don't write much/were in a rush/had poor English.
I sometimes also have sent quite short and generic thank you messages, depending on the card and the message.

However, when people send a really nice and communicative Hurray message, I feel like replying to them, but maybe it's weird. Is it weird? I think I've done it a couple of times (through the message function on the profile).

komandorsha

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Komandorsha

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KAS  
Hehe of course you would say that, you tend to be a little contrary don't you :)

I always say what I think and don't pretend to be nicer than I really am.

And I also think that this project is not about long messages. If you're asking for longer messages and nicer hurrays - than you have no right to whine about picky profiles. ;)
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 05:52 PM

I dug up a Hooray message I received (I save them all, blank or not). It was from one of those "tell me a secret" people.

"By the way, I like to buy old unused postcards...When cards are used when I buy them, they often have fascinating stories, I have a blog to revive their stories..."

This may be one reason why people keep their messages generic -- who knows who may "revive" your message someday!
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  
who knows who may "revive" your message someday!

me! Part of my research is on postcards...I am interested in the images but also the messages (what were the general social opinions of Indigenous peoples when the card was mailed, did the sender attend a cultural event, any ethnographic details that are included, what racial stereotypes do they reference)...lots of great info in the messages! Plus with the postmark we can identify the date and place which helps too. Anyone who does history or anthropology research using postcards is very interested in messages!
jhbr

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: jhbr

Mood: i can see clearly now, the brain has gone...

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 10:59 AM

i write some personal stuff, but not too personal anymore, since i learned here, that people sell, swap or re-send their official postcrossing postcards.

kind of funny to me is getting cards with messages like:
hi, i am cindy, i am from xxxxx, i am 28 years old etc.
this is still fine, but then, reading their profile, it starts with:
hi, i am cindy, i am from xxxx, i am 28 years old etc.

:):):):):)

Kleine.Liebe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Kleine_Liebe

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:52 AM

I like long messages on cards and I love long Hurray messages. I put a couple of suggestions on my profile with topics to write about, because I think that it can help. Sometimes when I draw a profile I have no clue what to write about, so I look for suggestions like that in the profile I've drawn. Sometimes just reading a profile I know exactly what to write about, for example someone talks about how they love gardening I tell them my mom and I are planning on growing lots of vegetables this year. I recommend books or movies or I write what's on the card. I rarely write "Hi, my name is...", I think I used to, when I started, but now I don't, because the space is so limited and usually, there is something on my mind I really want to write. For example the day I bought tickets to see Ed Sheeran in concert, I was so excited I wrote about that (one card to Russia was later registered with "I like him too, have you listened to the new album "Divide"? It's so good, what do you think?"). It helps me to talk about stuff, whether it's good or bad.

When it comes to the message, I'm not fond of people writing "Hello". First of all, I prefer the term "Dear" or something like that, because "Hello" for me is something I say to a person when they are standing in front of me. I don't like it, when people don't even address me, so it just says "Hello" instead of "Hello Charlotte"

There are lots of really amazing messages I got, both on cards and in Hurrays. Sure I love long Hurrays, but it's also okay to just thank me for a card. I'm guilty to write short Hurrays sometimes, because I really don't know what to write. The card is a generic image or something I don't really like, the stamp is not really special and the message is very generic. If I don't have anything to relate to, my Hurray is very short. However, I've been known to write looooong Hurrays, when I'm very excited about a card or when a card just made my day. It doesn't happen every day, but sometimes I get really excited.
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kleine.Liebe  

When it comes to the message, I'm not fond of people writing "Hello". First of all, I prefer the term "Dear" or something like that, because "Hello" for me is something I say to a person when they are standing in front of me. I don't like it, when people don't even address me, so it just says "Hello" instead of "Hello Charlotte"

that's interesting and funny, esp. because our cultural background is kind of similar (I suppose). I never adress a complete stranger with 'dear' (or 'Liebe' in German). Far too personal (coming from a guy living in a region where communication (greetings) is (was) not very formal).
I don't know if the user is a 'dear' one, that's why most of the time I use Servus (a local Hello among colleagues and friends).
ColorfulCourtney

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stevyy  

...I never adress a complete stranger with 'dear' (or 'Liebe' in German). Far too personal ...
:thumbup:

In English to me "Dear" sounds kind of weird but if someone wrote "Dear Courtney," it wouldn't do more than raise my eyebrow because it is a standard greeting, even if you are writing a formal letter. I absolutely hate it, however, when people start off with "Dear Friend!" Not only does it make it sound like an advertising letter, but...uh...I am neither! And if I were, wouldn't they know my name?:duh:

Personally, I am very comfortable receiving cards with "Hello/Hi Courtney! My name is X." as the intro but if they leave off the "my name is" part it is ok if I can read their signature clearly.

Also I very rarely check the profiles of the people who have sent me cards, usually only if I had a very strong positive/negative reaction, so I do not mind people repeating that info when they write to me!
Ugly_Pheebs

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Ugly_Pheebs

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 05:51 PM

I am so glad I wasn't reading the forum until after few months on Postcrossing, because if I would have seen all the complaints about the cards, messages and kind of stamps people use and kind of profiles the other users have, I would have stopped this hobby straight away! Even now reading these threads make me really worried about the cards I send and it makes me think that I do this hobby completely wrong, because I sometimes write 'boring and generic' messages where I tell about myself. No, I never write my age or start with 'my name is...' but often I cannot think anything else to write about than about my home town or my hobbies. I don't always have exciting stories to tell about the gigs I went to or funny events that happened earlier that week, because usually nothing much happens in my life. And often people don't have things in their profile that I could relate to or know anything about (for example, someone might tell that they like shopping, shoes, handbags and fashion - all of things I really don't care about at all and can't make any small talk about). Oh dear, I was already worried about not sending nice enough cards and that my profile is not good, and now I have to worry about messages, too...

One of the reasons I joined Postcrossing was to get small messages and nice cards from different people around the world; to get a little glimpses of their lives and their cultures to cheer me up and help me to battle anxiety and depression, and it saddens me to see so much negativity here. Not every card is perfect, not every message is perfect, but that’s how life is. Nevertheless, Postcrossing brings all of us closer to each other and we should be grateful for that.
Kammers

Country Flag:
Estonia

Estonia
Postcrossing Username: Kammers

Mood: Omnomnom

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 06:48 PM

There are as many different opinions as there are different people.
I agree with Ugly_Pheebs about the fact that if I had been active on the forum from the day I started Postcrossing, I wouldnt have dared to send a card!

While I'm not too big of a fan of those "generic messages", I always keep in mind that maybe they just cant/wont/cant bother to write more. Luckily these cards havent been the majority for me.

I personally like to get an idea of the person who sends me a postcard, so their name and age is something I definitely dont mind. Also, there are tons of imaginative ways to add it to your message...
If you think writing that is too personal then your choice ofcourse. (which is sad because what am I really going to do with that information? There are tons of Johns, aged 24, in New York City)
I do always check the sender's profile though because not doing that (again- in my opinion-) just shows complete lack of interest to the origins of the postcard.

Also, I very very rarely start the letter with "Dear so-and-so" because...welp...the reciever... is a stranger. I'm sorry if my "Hi" offends anybody. I'm just going to begin rotating different greetings from now on, so if you're lucky, you wont get the one you hate the most :D

Ugly_Pheebs

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Ugly_Pheebs

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 08:10 PM

It's good to hear that many others also check the sender's profile. I do that always, and think which card I might have sent them, if I had drawn their address etc. One of my favourite things is to try to find a perfect card for every person, maybe that is why I worry so much about the cards I sent?
mchay

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: mchay

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ugly_Pheebs  
It's good to hear that many others also check the sender's profile. I do that always, and think which card I might have sent them, if I had drawn their address etc. One of my favourite things is to try to find a perfect card for every person, maybe that is why I worry so much about the cards I sent?

well if you know you did your best then there's no need to worry. it says in my profile that i love monkeys and i once got a card with the most ugly painted monkey but the writer said he hopes i love it cause its a monkey and i just cant help but smile whenever i see that ugly photo.
i also once got an ad card with two kissing people and a 'happy postcrossing' and really dislike that one.

just don't worry too much. whatever you do there's always someone who won't like it so just focus on the good things and do what feels good for you.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ugly_Pheebs  
One of my favourite things is to try to find a perfect card for every person, maybe that is why I worry so much about the cards I sent?

I do also try to select a postcard that fit the wishlist of the receiver. But I've realized that it's hopeless to make everyone happy, so I do my best and don't worry about those "difficult profiles". Although I have a bunch of postcards, I know that I'm not able to fullfill all wishes. So if I can't fullfill the requests of a postcrosser, I think "never mind" and move on.
ColorfulCourtney

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kammers  

If you think writing that is too personal then your choice ofcourse. (which is sad because what am I really going to do with that information? There are tons of Johns, aged 24, in New York City)...

John, aged 24, in New York City, may well remain anonymous. There is however exactly one Courtney in Eitelborn, Germany, and I am sure other Postcrossers are also easily identifiable. I am not saying that Postcrossers are malicious, only that when I send an official I assume it may end up being published someplace and I keep the rule, "Don't say anything you wouldn't want your worst enemy to know" in mind.
Kammers

Country Flag:
Estonia

Estonia
Postcrossing Username: Kammers

Mood: Omnomnom

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 10:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  
Quote: Originally posted by Kammers  

If you think writing that is too personal then your choice ofcourse. (which is sad because what am I really going to do with that information? There are tons of Johns, aged 24, in New York City)...

John, aged 24, in New York City, may well remain anonymous. There is however exactly one Courtney in Eitelborn, Germany, and I am sure other Postcrossers are also easily identifiable. I am not saying that Postcrossers are malicious, only that when I send an official I assume it may end up being published someplace and I keep the rule, "Don't say anything you wouldn't want your worst enemy to know" in mind.

Yup, everybody should just write what they're comfortable with.
PostcardPerfect

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ThePOSTCARDPerfect

Mood: 乂❤‿❤乂

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 02:42 AM

I don't write much on the postcard. Usually, it's just a simple info abt the place, like why it's my favorite summer destination or why I love visiting it. I am also one of those who intoduce myself with, "hi, my name is..." I guess it's just appropriate. For those who says writing about age ( I don't remember mentioning my age in sending cards) and job ( I think I did once) and some generic information about the sender, What is it that you will considered "relevant" and "acceptable" message? I would really love to know, so next time I know what to write so I can avoid my recipient the disaapointing feeling when all they can read from my card is my name and how I live my daily life. Most of the profile always says, "Tell me about yourself" but now,when I tell something abt myself, like how old am I or what I do for a living,someone get disappointed?
PostcardPerfect

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ThePOSTCARDPerfect

Mood: 乂❤‿❤乂

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 02:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mchay  

and yes sometimes i'm disappointed when i get a card that only says greetings from this country but i get a whole lot more amazing cards and amazing messages so i don't really mind those cards. i like the diversity and as long as i still enjoy the majority of my received postcards i don't have a problem with the few i don't like that much.

True. But as we know nowadays, people love to complain, heck, they might even complain if they can't find anything to complain about :lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

Imprint