Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Why does everybody write exactly the same?
shc

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: shc

Mood: What now?

[*] posted on 13-3-2017 at 12:54 PM

I just get a hurray: "Hello, Thank you"

The recipient profile is short too. I tried to still write long... And the postcard is my favorite :umm: maybe because I send it late.

I write generic message! But not "my name... From... ". Instead, if I send 2-3 same card, the message is same, like, "this is a...." sometime I feel bad.

About "tell me xzy" I have no idea. Sometime it feels like force, sometime it is nice guidance. This thing make me want to empty my profile. Want to see diverse kind of card and message.

Anyway, what make me sad the most is printed message. Like people don't ever bother to put more effort. Positive thought: they cannot write well.:)
nisnoopy3

Country Flag:
Malaysia

Malaysia
Postcrossing Username: nisnoopy3

Mood: ❤ Mukuro (Reborn!) & ♡Shogo Makishima 【Psycho-Pass】

[*] posted on 14-3-2017 at 02:37 PM

Some people left a small note at the end of their profile. This one I found summary it quite nicely. :)

" I take time and effort to think of replies to each postcard I receive, so the more you write, the more I have to talk to you about! If you only write 'Happy Postcrossing' on the card, I can only send back a 'Thank you'. :("
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 14-3-2017 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nisnoopy3  
Some people left a small note at the end of their profile. This one I found summary it quite nicely. :)

" I take time and effort to think of replies to each postcard I receive, so the more you write, the more I have to talk to you about! If you only write 'Happy Postcrossing' on the card, I can only send back a 'Thank you'. :("

I don't find this "you get what you give" attitude nice at all.
And looking up at that high horse hurts my neck :D (the bold part)

About the topic.
I much rather receive a true human message instead of formalities.
But not everyone is a 'writer', very open or simply does not care. That's just the way it is.
If you want more meaningful human contact, postcrossing is not the best way to go about it :)

siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 14-3-2017 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Farrow  
Quote: Originally posted by nisnoopy3  

I don't find this "you get what you give" attitude nice at all.
And looking up at that high horse hurts my neck :D (the bold part)

I always feel that people are trying to shame me into a certain kind of behaviour when they write things like this, and I find that rubs me the wrong way. Even if I regularly already do what they expect me to do. I won't stop doing it because of this, but I feel less enthusiastic about it.
Speicher3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Speicher3

[*] posted on 15-3-2017 at 08:50 AM

A few years ago my partner gave me Shaun Usher's wonderful book "Letters of Note" as a present. One of the illustrated letters was a letter written by American actor Steve Martin to 17-year-old Jerry Carlson. I love this kind of humour and thought about ordering a rubber stamp with some similar lines in the size of a postcard. Printed on the postcard's text field and sent to Postcrossers without any interest in communication.

The letter is also shown in a Daily Mail article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531205/Letters-Of-Note-Som...

nisnoopy3

Country Flag:
Malaysia

Malaysia
Postcrossing Username: nisnoopy3

Mood: ❤ Mukuro (Reborn!) & ♡Shogo Makishima 【Psycho-Pass】

[*] posted on 15-3-2017 at 01:03 PM

At least s(he) is bold enough to say it on his/her profile. It's understandable how the phrase exist in the first place. Hope s(he) get the long message s(he) hopes for! XD
Green-Zombie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Green-Zombie

[*] posted on 15-3-2017 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shc  

Anyway, what make me sad the most is printed message. Like people don't ever bother to put more effort. Positive thought: they cannot write well.:)

I once received a printed message. At first I was slightly disappointed, but after I registered the card I checked their profile. They had a note on there that they were born handicapped and cannot physically write. I think someone else must glue the printed note on the postcards for them. It all seemed quite nice that this person gets to participate in Postcrossing after all. (If handwritten messages were required they wouldn't be able to.)

So, even with printed messages, you never really know why. Maybe sloppy handwriting, maybe they suffer from Parkinson's disease (makes your hands shake terribly so writing would be hard to impossible), my dad had a stroke last year and he can't write easily because his hands tremble when he tries but he can type, maybe they had eye surgery recently (a lady I know just had that done and she can't write for a few months). So now, I don't mind printed messages. ;) :thumbup:

I used to hate blank profiles (because I actually like to write a lot about what the receiver cares about), but now when I get a blank profile I just write and write about whatever I want to get off my mind. It's kind of like complaining to myself. :duh::tumble:

Also, I would laugh pretty hard if someone sent me a rubber-stamped message of the one posted above, assuming it was sent in good humor. ;) :cool:
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 16-3-2017 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Speicher3  
A few years ago my partner gave me Shaun Usher's wonderful book "Letters of Note" as a present.

Love that Steve Martin letter you posted :bigsmile:
Sounds like an interesting book so thank you for mentioning it.
Mimi-Lucia

Country Flag:
United States

United States

Mood: Relaxing in the sun

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 07:34 PM

I get a lot of cards from a certain country. The text on many of them is the same, starting out, "let me introduce my country". These are school assignments and perhaps the teacher gives them a sample postcard and they just copy it. Yeah, pretty boring but I reply with a message about the long connection between our cities, that there is a statue of one of their historic heroes in the central part of my city, that I once worked for an export company that traded with their country, that I know some immigrants from their country, that their capital is a "sister city" to my city....
popleuse
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 07:17 PM

I have a strange kind of division. I get:

- very lovely Hurray! messages
- very lovely postcards
- very generic messages on the postcards

On my profile I have "feel free to write about anything", that's not even asking for something personal. During the many years I think I have only received one message that has been something else than a regular presentation of the sender/postcard/city. Of course I love these postcards as well but sometimes I wonder a little bit... I do a lot of creative writing so maybe I'm biased, maybe there are just a lot of people who find it hard to come up with random messages for random people?

(I'm also on Interpals pen pal site and a lot of people there start the free presentation with "I don't like writing profiles, I never know what to write" but they seem happy to answer the specific questions there so... I'm kind of starting to lean towards putting questions in my profile...)
popleuse
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 07:29 PM

If I got a postcard saying something like "Hello! I have been thinking about buying a tv, I'm considering between Samsung tv at the Superstore and LG tv from Minimarket, the Superstore tv has headphone connection which I need but I don't want to pay 50 euros extra for that. What do you think?" I think I would faint from happiness. :D
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by popleuse  
If I got a postcard saying something like "Hello! I have been thinking about buying a tv, I'm considering between Samsung tv at the Superstore and LG tv from Minimarket, the Superstore tv has headphone connection which I need but I don't want to pay 50 euros extra for that. What do you think?" I think I would faint from happiness. :D

I think I would faint from confusion! :D (That kind of message is one reason I left Facebook BTW - "friends" crowdsourcing whether they should have broccoli soup or a sandwich for lunch, and then getting upset if you didn't respond...)

Anyway, if you want a postcard like that I agree you should ask a question -- maybe "I love to give advice -- are you looking for opinions on something? Ask me and I promise I will answer!" Of course not everyone will, but you may get to pull out your smelling salts from time to time!
popleuse
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  

I think I would faint from confusion! :D (That kind of message is one reason I left Facebook BTW - "friends" crowdsourcing whether they should have broccoli soup or a sandwich for lunch, and then getting upset if you didn't respond...)

Anyway, if you want a postcard like that I agree you should ask a question -- maybe "I love to give advice -- are you looking for opinions on something? Ask me and I promise I will answer!" Of course not everyone will, but you may get to pull out your smelling salts from time to time!

Haha, well, I just picked random example of randomness! :D I meant I would completely amazed if someone wrote any kind of mundane "thoughts" people usually might have. My dog has been behaving badly, I want to mail this but it's slippery outside, today I ate very good pasta...
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 08:12 PM

Haha, well, I just picked random example of randomness! :D I meant I would completely amazed if someone wrote any kind of mundane "thoughts" people usually might have. My dog has been behaving badly, I want to mail this but it's slippery outside, today I ate very good pasta...

Understood! :D

Still I think you should ask. When I draw a "tell me anything!" profile I explain what the card is and why I thought of them when I picked it, because that is what to me is the most interesting.

If I get a profile that politely says something like "I'd love to know something about your everyday life -- something that happened today, what you had for breakfast -- whatever!" Then I answer with that sort of thing.

In my own profile I do ask people, if they need ideas about what to write, to tell me something that makes them smile. And I get postcards with things like "I love walking my dog in the rain," or "When my granddaughter asks me to read to her it makes me so happy," things like that.
popleuse
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  
Still I think you should ask. When I draw a "tell me anything!" profile I explain what the card is and why I thought of them when I picked it, because that is what to me is the most interesting.

If I get a profile that politely says something like "I'd love to know something about your everyday life -- something that happened today, what you had for breakfast -- whatever!" Then I answer with that sort of thing.

In my own profile I do ask people, if they need ideas about what to write, to tell me something that makes them smile. And I get postcards with things like "I love walking my dog in the rain," or "When my granddaughter asks me to read to her it makes me so happy," things like that.

Last summer I had on my profile "Now that it's summer here maybe you could tell me where you like to go on holiday?" I had that one my profile for the whole summer, but I didn't get any mentions of holidays on the postcards so I thought maybe people don't care about the writing ideas.

But reading your message I will definitely try to add something about regular everyday things, thank you for the advice! <3 The examples of what you have gotten were really sweet! :)
Kleine.Liebe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Kleine_Liebe

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kammers  
Also, I very very rarely start the letter with "Dear so-and-so" because...welp...the reciever... is a stranger. I'm sorry if my "Hi" offends anybody. I'm just going to begin rotating different greetings from now on, so if you're lucky, you wont get the one you hate the most :D

It's not that I hate "hi" or anything like that. I'm sure it has to do with my last name which means "love" in German, that I'm so fond of being addressed as "Liebe Charlotte". I'm really good about joking about my last name or using it for the worst puns I can think of (when you hear a "oh that's a pretty name" at least once a day or you have people saying something about your last name what they think is funny and it would be, when you hadn't heard it for the 500th time, you just have to make fun of it yourself), so I think it's funny.

I got a card once where someone shortened my name to a nickname which I really hate. When people state their own name in their profile (or a nickname of it), I usually pick that name for my "Dear so and so". I wouldn't dare to call a Charlotte anything else. It might be she likes to be called Charlie, but maybe she hates it. I'm okay with it, but I really don't want to be called Lotte or - even worse - Lotti, because that reminds me of my grandmother, who isn't really fond of me...

Sure, there are tons of things you can do wrong with your card, but there is some much else as well. Sure, sometimes I get a card with a picture I don't like, but the message is awesome. It always evens out in the end, I guess.
In all the cards I got (1.110) there are probably only about five I really, really dislike for various reasons. I don't mind them though, it happens. Taste is luckily something that isn't the same for everyone.

I once got a profile from a girl who loves Harry Potter. She asked for the senders favourite book and character, because she put them in a little survey. She even had a link to it on her profile. Sometimes I still go back to see if some things have changed. It's really funny.
On my profile I ask which coloured pencil someone would be and I got lots of answers, which is quite funny, because it's an interesting question.
fbresnah

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fbresnah

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 03:47 PM

I try to keep messages simple and brief on traditional non-English speaking countries because I figure English is not their first language. Of course, I could be wrong, they may speak better English than me. For English speaking countries I usually write more.
DebiLynne

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: DebiLynne

[*] posted on 15-5-2017 at 02:02 AM

I buy post cards of all kinds of things that people like on here. So usually I write about where I live and what it is like. Then I go on to explain what is on the front of the card. I also add stickers that either go along with the front or something the person likes. I guess you could say I try to personalize it much as possible. ;)
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 12:21 AM

I just got a card with a six word generic message, sent by an English speaker. Their profile says "tell me things about you and your country". A case of "do what I say and I'll do what is easiest and quickest for me"! My hurray message was short.

I like it when people tell me random facts about where they live, such as "I live near where Yuri Gagarin landed after his voyage into space ". (a card from Saratov).
Kleine.Liebe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fbresnah  
I try to keep messages simple and brief on traditional non-English speaking countries because I figure English is not their first language. Of course, I could be wrong, they may speak better English than me. For English speaking countries I usually write more.

Sometimes I get very short messages from English-speaking countries and I think it's sad, because I'm fluent in English (I should be, really, otherwise my parents wasted a lot of money so I could spent two years in Canada to graduate from High School). I think it isn't the length of the message but what words are used. When I draw a profile and the person says they speak German, I write in German, but I try to use simple sentences and and not what I would write on a German final to impress my teacher.

Quote: Originally posted by Iambowyum  
I just got a card with a six word generic message, sent by an English speaker. Their profile says "tell me things about you and your country". A case of "do what I say and I'll do what is easiest and quickest for me"! My hurray message was short.

I like it when people tell me random facts about where they live, such as "I live near where Yuri Gagarin landed after his voyage into space ". (a card from Saratov).

I find generic messages very boring, because the text side of a card is sometimes more important to me than the picture side. When I don't like the picture side, the message can turn everything around for me.

Since I really like random facts, I enjoy those a lot. It's always very interesting.
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 08:31 AM

Sort of apropos... sometime ago we brainstormed a few ideas for monthly-topics, which would be completely optional prompts that we'd suggest members write about in their postcards in a given month. Like mini conversation starters, to get things going for the most shy or those looking for something to write.

So for instance, one month it could be "your favourite song" or "the best thing about your hometown", or "your earliest memory related to postcards".

We felt a bit divided about it though. On one hand, it might be handy and helpful, but on the other, perhaps it feels a bit forced and limiting (even if 100% optional)...?

What do you think?
Kleine.Liebe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 08:49 AM

I think it's a great idea. Sometimes, when I draw a profile it seems I have nothing in common with that person, so I write pretty random normal things like how the weather is or something like that. It would feel weird to me to just write about my favourite song or something like that out of the blue. When there is a monthly theme though, I would feel comfortable writing about it.

It's very helpful for me, when people have a "If you don't know what to write" sentence in their profile.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 10:00 AM

I'm fine with getting suggestions for writing, as I would answer those questions if I feel like answering them: either because I can't think of anything else to write, or because I think "that's an interesting question". And if I won't want to answer that question, or I can't think of a answer to that question, I'll just write about something else.

But when I wrote some simple questions in my profile (questions like: What's your favourite colour? What's your favourite book? Do you have any animals?), several members answered all of them, with one short sentence per question. "Hi, My favourite colour is blue. My favourite book is "Dracula". I have 1 cat. Bye". It seemed like those persons felt that they HAD to answer those questions, even if I wrote something like "If you don't know what to write about, here's some suggestions".
I've figured out that it would be funnier to read something like "I have a cat called Oliver. He's a long haired, brown tabby cat. He loves to be cuddled, and he's always happy when he meets one of the neighbours because they always sit down and give him cuddles. He does also go hunting for birds and mice in the forest pretty often." And I therefore think questions that needs a slightly longer answers might would be better; like "your earliest memory related to postcards" as you mentioned, or "describe the room/place you're in while writing this postcard".

KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ana  
sometime ago we brainstormed a few ideas for monthly-topics, which would be completely optional prompts that we'd suggest members write about in their postcards in a given month.

No thanks.
:)

That would annoy me a great deal. Both because I don't like being told what to write ("optional suggestion" or not), and because I imagine I would then receive a lot of cards with the exact same text.

siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 19-5-2017 at 03:15 PM

I'd be afraid of that as well - everyone writing about the same thing then, something I may or may not be very interested in.
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

Imprint