Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Why does everybody write exactly the same?
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2018 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stevyy  
I've recieved dozens of words from 'superusers' (>1000 cards) and empty messages from beginners and vice versa.

Yes, I just received the card with the most words written on it ever! The whole card was full of a tiny handwriting. That person has sent over 1000 cards and her profile is empty.
aploessl

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: aploessl

[*] posted on 31-1-2018 at 08:14 PM
Complaints and Grievances?

I've read through a lot of these and I think it just boils down to everyone has their own interpretation of what this site is about. I don't think people should feel entitled to anything beyond the basics. Some people are basic and just like receiving messages from around the world whereas others are expecting something that qualifies as collectible material. I've encountered a wide range of senders and have no complaints, and if they go and send something unexpected, I thank them for their generosity when registering the card and sometimes offer to send something similar back in return.
I have no use for those who register their cards and in the message complain about the quality of the stamps not being suitable for collecting, or the card has writing on it and they can't use it for their collection. Listen, people do this out of their own level of generosity, not obligation, and if your motivation is solely to exploit that to build some sort of collection for free when you'd normally have to spend your own money to build it, well, then, that's a sort of rash entitlement that really doesn't belong.
As the saying goes, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". ;)
TerribleHaute

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: RacewayRoad

Mood: Enjoying a full mailbox :)

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 02:37 PM

I start every postcard with "Hi [recipient's name], Im Jaelen from Indiana", but I always write much more than that. Why should I not introduce myself? I feel that its much more personable. I write as much as I can, most of the time I cant write as much as I want to because of the lack of space.
Phoenix

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: PhoenixNoctulus

Mood: Always remembered † 19 August 2013 // † 2/2018 :'(

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Corydoras  
"Hi, I am [name], I am [age] years old and work as [job] in [town]."

To be honest, that's exactly what I always started my postcards with ;) I guess that's what most people understand as a short introduction. The basics, so you know who that person is.

But, that's only the first sentence. After that, I wrote a lot about my interests and hobbies, and, of course, I refered to something written in the user's profile. If there is something to refer to. Sometimes, if there's only those basics, or maybe not even at all but only a wishlist I cannot conclude any hobbies from, then I tried to write something about my day, or things that I thought of lately.

(Written in past tense, since I haven't written any officials for some time; currently, I mostly write to people I already know from the forums, so no introduction is necessary anymore).
Nakkinenä

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Nakendorf

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 11:38 AM

I usually introduce myself and mention where I live. Rarely I write about my age or job. The following message can be about the image of the postcard or my town, or my hobbies. Some users ask for book or film recommendations which I gladly provide. And sometimes I write about the weather. So no generic messages.
But here it also depends on the language I use. If I write in German, my messages are more generic and primitive (as German is not my strong language) though I try to personalize them too.
balutkid

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: LoloBert

Mood: Ecstatic that you are sending me a postcard

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 02:59 PM

For whatever reason, when I created my profile in 2013, I decided to ask about shoe size, latest breakfast, and whether the sender can fly. I could almost write a treatise on shoe sizes of European women now. :)

And thus far, I've not encountered anyone who can fly.
Facella

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Facella

[*] posted on 20-1-2019 at 10:16 PM

I write whatever comes to mind and it's rarely the same message, even if I write another card right after. I do often introduce myself and say where I live. That's followed by all sorts of random stuff. Sometimes I like to write about the book I'm currently reading, the last movie I watched, occasionally I talk about the weather, often something about the picture of the card... Or I use the monthly writing prompt, when I don't have anything in common with the recipient, nothing exciting happened recently and there's nothing to say about the picture. I usually try to personalize the message somehow. A few days ago, I wrote a card to somebody in the Netherlands and told them about my amazing holiday in Amsterdam and that I will deifnitely visit again, if only to eat more Kibbeling and visit the amazing bookshops.
lutik_sun

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Lutik_sun

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 06:40 PM

I usually receive Hurrah letters like that "thank you for your wonderful postcard. I love it. have a great day" and thought and think it's absolutely ok. The Postcrossing is about writing on the cards rather than in the messages. Even empty Hurrah letters are ok for me, I received a note, that the card is received, so everything is ok :)

Although I myself write very long messages :saint:
elanlei

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: elanlei

Mood: rainy

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 03:33 PM

If your profile is dull you'll get a dull message from me.

If you mention half an interest I will find something to write about - the book I'm reading (a description and my opinion on it, not just name), what I've done today (if it's anything of interest) or what I'm having for tea (people seem quite happy to hear about British food). I might write about where the card came from if it's from a recent holiday. Maybe I will discuss how the weather has been and what I have done to cope with it.

Say i'm writing a card to Corydoras at the start of the thread. She mentions fish in her profile so I will choose a nice PHQ card from my stash with a beautiful fish on. She mentions sports so maybe I will write about one of my husband's recent triathlons and how it went for me. She also mentions American football so I could also write about the one game I've seen.

If I am writing the card to Lutik_sun, above, I've got a lovely card of an old man knitting that I expect she would enjoy. I would write about our shared interest of knitting.

For Facella, also above, I would choose a Tom of Finland card and write about the exhibition I went to some years ago.

It's not that hard to write a message but you can certainly help by giving us something to write about.
Jillz92

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jillz92

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 06:23 AM

I never write that on a card, I think it's not personal enough I write always something about the card.
I had to sent a card to someone who has epilepsy, I have it too. And wrote something about we have in common and bit around it and I had someone who asked is you believe in ghosts etc I wrote him really personal things about some people I lost and some beautiful things happened (like my dad committed suicide and my daughter is born on the same date)

I think those cards are the best to receive and the most fun to write.

yummymayo

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: yummymayo

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 05:22 AM

I have received a lot of fairly unique messages. It's sometimes hard to know what to write about other than the basics. There are some people that get freaked out if you write about "too much" and some people get upset if you didn't "write enough" so usually you have to come up with something in between. Just little hints in a profile that you can launch from are usually enough for the small space in a postcard. I actually forget to even write my name sometimes leaving the recipient to decipher a cryptic signature that has had some hilarious interpretations.. :D

There have been a few members that I've continued a correspondence with in more lengthy letters which last for months or even years and counting.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 01:30 PM

I used to really find it a non-issue what people write or don't write, but later I am getting really bored of the standard "I am X from [city/country], I like swimming, I have 4 children, I live in a big house". To then find the same exact sentence on their profile. It is making me want to add on my profile to please don't introduce yourself but write something else, but I HATE giving people directions and not leaving it to their creativity... But then there seems to be so little creativity... :/

I suppose as I wrote the example above I realised there are indeed small variations (number of children, size of the house, favourite hobby) so I will try and appreciate that, but it makes me think that they would write pretty much the same to everybody...

I find it a bit weird when people don't say anything about the card, especially if there is no obvious relation (e.g. card I got recently from the Netherlands representing a French town. Why? When did you go there, sender? What did you do? And if you didn't go, how did you get that card? It seems to me such an obvious story to tell...). But sometimes I tell myself I should stop explaining why I chose a card and what relation I have with it, because it doesn't leave me space for other things...

I guess occasionally I also come across people that don't inspire me much, then I do just describe the card and tell a few generic things. I remember saying this before: I also should stop feeling like I should explain that I'm not writing from my native country and why...
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

Imprint