Author: Subject: [FRANCE] La Poste related questions and comments
rejane begouen

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: rejane

[*] posted on 17-3-2017 at 01:35 PM
[FRANCE] La Poste related questions and comments

Please use this thread to ask questions or make comments regarding La Poste - their services, postal regulations, postage, delivery speed, mail tracking, postmarks, etc.

Election of the french stamp of the year
Hello,

Each year, the French Post organizes a game, the election of the most beautiful French stamp. You can participate, choose the stamp that you like most in different categories and try to win beautiful gifts.

Thank you for your participation

http://www.electiondutimbre.fr/
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 25-2-2019 at 02:02 PM

Can old stamps from before Euro / 2002 in currency France frank be used on postcards mailed out in France?

I received a card with a stamp from 1978 of 1,00 france frank on it (and another stamp of 50 eurocents).

Do you know if there is information about this on the official PosteFrance website?
yabiz

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: yabiz

[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 04:59 PM

Yes you can use stamps with value in francs, they are still valid.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yabiz  
Yes you can use stamps with value in francs, they are still valid.

That is wonderfull!

Sadly the value converted to euro is only 15 cent. With a 50 eurocent stamp this postcrosser cheated 65 cent.

It's a not register item, but reporting.
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:12 PM

I have received mail recently that had stamps in Old Francs, prior to 1960. It's frustrating when people try to cheat the system. These pieces I received were not through Postcrossing, otherwise I would have reported it.
linos203

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: linos203

Mood: There is no rescue from postcrossing

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 11:18 AM

Old Franc-Stamps are still valid. Even the very first stamp of France would be valid. Only the value is very small. They made 100 old francs = 1 new franc. Only some stamps, which were issued during german occupation are no longer valid.
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 03:24 AM

Yeah, the most recent example of what I received was a letter with a "Lettre Verte" stamp and two stamps totally 5 Old Francs. Definitely a purposeful underpayment.
Speicher3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Speicher3

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:17 AM

Hello together.

Does La Poste allow combining stamps of different value to reach the required value of 1,30 EUR for international mail (e.g. 1,00 + 0,10 + 0,10 + 0,10)?
Or do I absolutely have to use a single international stamp?
yabiz

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: yabiz

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 02:27 PM

You can use differents stamps as long as you reach the required value.
Speicher3

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Speicher3

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 08:54 PM

Thank you, Yabiz, for your reply!
LEO

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: lejo

[*] posted on 22-8-2019 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yabiz  
You can use differents stamps as long as you reach the required value.

I have experienced otherwise.
Last week, an card (in an envelope) to the Netherlands was returned to me. When asking for the reason in the postoffice, the lady at the counter told me it was because I had used a stamp for France of € 0.80 and 5 Marianne stamps of €0.10. She said I HAVE to use an international stamp.
When using an envelope I always put my address on the back. On a card I never do. So, I don't know if some of my cards never made it because of this stamp issue.
melilot

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: melilot

[*] posted on 28-9-2019 at 10:09 PM

Recently somebody was surprised to see me using stamps with no face value ("valeur faciale" in french) for international destinations. For example I will use a stamp "lettre verte" and of course will add little stamps, so the total is 1,30€

She was said several times at the post office that the stamps should have a value on it for international destinations. That means that you can use a 0,80 stamp as long as it's written on it (so no Marianne green or red or any other stamp with only "lettre verte" or "lettre prioritaire" like most stickers stamps are, for example). And of course "timbres de complément" (0.10, 0.05, 0.01) so as to have 1,30€

I've searched for some information after that.

On a forum of philatelists, the question was discussed (I don't remember the exact words, sorry, I'll add a link if I can find it again).
- It was said that according to a UPU rule, you had to use such or such stamp, but not another type (I think the criterion was the face value: without it, it was not possible to send abroad - except of course stamps with mention : "monde" ["world"]).
- Then it was said that the french post had a rule to accept mail even without face value, to be less rigid than the UPU rule (a mitigation of the rule, so as not to hurt the clients) It was probably in the "instruction générale" or a "bulletin La Poste"... it would be good if somebody could have access to this... if it was transitory or if it's still ok.
This thread was from several years ago.

I have used often "lettre verte" stamps and other stamps so as to reach 1,30€, to have a large choice, but I wonder now if that's really ok.

Another thing is that I wrote to an address to La Poste to ask questions about this, last spring (so it was before the person told me about the "face value" question), but hopelessly I've never received any answer. My questions were about the possibility or not to use lettre verte stamps abroad (with additional stamps), and the question of face value too.

Maybe now I could write to the UPU...:duh:

That said, I really wonder if the post has the right to refuse mail and above all to delete it, and if it could not be considered as some sort of offense ("suppression de correspondance" according to the penal code).

So for me, many questions stay raised, and for the moment I have stopped using stamps without face value for international mail, except when it's written "monde" on it ("world") (and that's a pity because some are pretty :P).

Some also say that green and red stamps are sold on "carnets" (stamp booklets) of 10 stamps, and this is clearly written on them that this is to use for domestic mail ("à destination de la France").

michiel071

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Michiel

[*] posted on 30-9-2019 at 09:43 AM

There is no UPU rule stating that postage stamps have to show a value, the rule is as follows:

"3 Postage stamps comprise:
3.1 the name of the member country or territory of issue, in roman letters, or, if the UPU International Bureau is so requested by the member country or territory of issue, the abbreviation or initials officially representing the member country or territory of issue, in accordance with the conditions laid down in the Regulations;
3.2 the face value, expressed:
3.2.1 in principle, in the official currency of the country or territory of issue, or as a letter or symbol;
3.2.2 through other identifying characteristics"

So value, letter, symbol or other identifying characteristic is allowed according to the UPU.

La Poste can say that you can only use value stamps, but it is not based on a UPU rule. In my experience with post from France is that La Poste allows anything and doesn't really check if the postage stamp is correct.

melilot

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: melilot

[*] posted on 30-9-2019 at 10:47 PM

I can't find again this topic, I think it was on a google group.
It was a topic from several years ago. I don't know the date of the UPU rule, but it probably changed something, and the french post then had a mitigation of the rule, question is for how long. There's a context there.

I have found this from the post: