~Olia~

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: -Olia-

Mood: :love: in love :love:

[*] posted on 4-3-2012 at 09:25 PM
[RUSSIA] Russian Post related questions and comments

Please use this thread to ask questions or make comments regarding Russian Post - their services, postal regulations, addressing method, delivery speed, mail tracking, postage, stamps, postmarks, etc.

Quote: Originally posted by kminova  
Hello, I'd like to ask something too - I've noticed that many Russian postcrossers don't use the Russian abbreviations in their addresses, such as ul., d., or kv. (for street, house or appartment) and instead they use English ones, like str., app., etc. Why is it so? And isn't that a problem for Russian post offices and postmen? Sometimes it takes up to 40 days for my cards to be delivered, but I can't really tell if it can be because of this or for other reasons ... Thank you!

Hi! It is mentioned that we have to write the address in english, so some people translate in english all the words they can. I think, it is better not to translate but to write russian words using english letters (and not english words). So for exemple, "Pushkin street", it would be better to write it like "ul. Pushkina". There are not so much postmen in post offices who speak english, and words like "district", "blind alley" and "highway" will be a riddle for them.
But I think, time of delivery doesn't depend so much on it. All post offices and postmen know theirs postcrossers' addresses by heart :)
This is a problem of our post service in general. When we send a card to another russian city, it usually takes 2-3 weeks :( , sometimes even 1 month and more.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 21-4-2018 at 09:39 AM

@DK28082 where is this from, and how does it work? do you print it on the envelope/card or on a sticker, what size should it have?

I also try to find ways to make Russian Post deliver cards faster. I already write the addresses in Cyrillic, often transcribe them back from the English/Latin transcription (sometimes takes some guesswork, but I always check on maps etc. to confirm it is correct, which is a lot of work).

Something that would really help is if Russian members would also indicate their address in Cyrillic as an alternative to the English version (would be useful if Postcrossing would suggest to always indicate BOTH an translated and a local script version, for those who can write the local script or would print the address).
mike12

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: mike12

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 06:47 AM

The Russian Post service works very slowly partly due to numerous fund cuts and employees downsizing.

Gonna tell my own sad story ... :mad:

After one of two post offices in my neighborhood was closed the remaining one is always packed to the limit with people and to buy a stamp / envelope you have to survive a hour long queue.

So I decided to buy some postal stamps and cards online. My order was sent to me by registered mail.
A month passed and my mail did not arrive.

I submitted Missing Mail Search Request.
Another month passed and nothing happened. No response.

I filed a complain to the Russian Post Head Office in Moscow and another month later got a letter saying that...

"your mail is lost and can not be recovered...bla bla...
we are sorry and by the way your missing mail search request was lost as well that's why we did not respond to you earlier"

The end
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 10:19 AM

Oh dear.

Here in Germany, we complain a lot about our Post service.
Because occasionally the letter or package doesn't arrive on time.
Because occasionally, the postman/woman or package delivery service is in a rush and leaves a notification to pick it up at the post office instead of ringing the bell, or give it to some neighbours instead of bringing it upstairs.
Occasionally, a notification card is missing and we have to call them to ask where our stuff is.
Occasionally, we have to wait 10 minutes in the post office.

Comparing this to Russia, it's a different universe I guess. We are lucky here. :smilegrin:

I find it fascinating how German Post process 66 million letters every day, and over 90% of those sent within Germany arrive on the next working day! Some of the machines they use are insane, can read the address of 40.000 letters an hour, while stamping and sorting them for different postcodes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IQru_YxEp4

Still, we complain if something goes wrong :shocked2:
idus

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: idus

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 04:33 PM

It has gone worse with Deutsche Post, that is my experience over many years.

Especially after the privatisation of it.
Our postman/woman here changes every week now.
If you pay your postpeople poorly they will do a bad job > I had my parcels found in all sorts of wrong places.
If you close more and more branches we have to wait for more than 10 minutes in the remaining post offices or similar ("Postagenturen").
Deutsche Post is an enterprise in the service sector
and yes, if they perform badly I complain.

ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 08:26 PM

Well that's what I said, we complain a lot, of course because it's not perfect... many things are not ideal and I also think privatisation was bad and paying employees poorly is a big problem.

But most of the time, it works fine. I can drop a postcard or a letter in a mailbox today before 5:30pm, and in most cases, it will arrive tomorrow morning anywhere in the country. I ordered stamps twice this week from the post online shop, both times they arrived within 48 hours. Parcels are unfortunately often dropped in wrong places, but it's very rare that they are just "lost".

Now compare that to what mike12 wrote above... so I do think we're lucky here. It's all relative :)
mike12

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: mike12

[*] posted on 30-4-2018 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ninja  
I can drop a postcard or a letter in a mailbox today before 5:30pm, and in most cases, it will arrive tomorrow morning anywhere in the country.

sounds like something from a si-fi movie :)

in Russia it can take a letter days (or weeks) to travel from one city to another

HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 23-9-2018 at 09:37 PM

Q: I received a card in an envelope. It was not stamped but had a printed image of stamp on it. Picturing a large bold D.
Where can I find information about this and the value?
Whitelake
formerly known as Whitelake_

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Whitelake

Mood: a doodle a day keeps the demon at bay

[*] posted on 24-9-2018 at 05:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HMKM  
Q: I received a card in an envelope. It was not stamped but had a printed image of stamp on it. Picturing a large bold D.

46 rubles (letter weighing 20 grams)
https://www.pochta.ru/documents/10231/726549028/%D0%A2%D0%B0%D1%80%D...
kemper87

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: kemper87

[*] posted on 19-10-2018 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HMKM  

https://www.pochta.ru/support/post-rules/write-address

On the site of the Russian post there is no English. Use translator.

À = 22, B = 17, D = 46.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 04:20 PM

Thank you both. That is helpfull.
FredRydr

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: FredRydr

[*] posted on 30-12-2018 at 03:21 PM

For Russia, due to so many late and expired postcards, I have resorted to the following:

- I copy the recipient's address from the email that Postcrossing sends
- Paste into Google translate to create an address in Russian (Cyrillic alphabet)
- Edit to conform to Russian address rules (See kemper87's post above)
- Print a label and stick onto the postcard below handwritten English (Latin alphabet) and above RUSSIA.

I'd like to go one step further and print the postcode in the format that DK28082 posted above, but perhaps that is unnecessary with PRINTED Arabic numbers.

I always wonder which is more reliable for postcards addressed to Russia: the "official format" (see kemper87's post above) or the format each Russian Postcrossing member provides notwithstanding deviation from the rules, given their local knowledge.
kemper87

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: kemper87

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kemper87  
À = 22, B = 17, D = 46.

Since April 12, 2019:

A = 23, B = 18, D = 50.
apost

Postcrossing Username: apost

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 03:46 PM

I shipped to Russia serval times (parcels with tracking, not postcards), no problem at all, as fast as to other part of Europe.

But once it was funny, the parcel arrived at Russia, and updated about 15 pieces of information in the next 10 days before delivery, all saying sorting at center A, then leaving for center B, sorting again.. I don't know why it need so many stops and sorting, the deliver address is in Moscow and all the centers I googled are around Moscow. Most times parcels to Moscow does not need so many stops at all
TinyMouse

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: TinyMouse

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 04:46 PM

I have three outstanding postcards all to Russia. I was beginning to worry that these postcrossers didn't want to register my cards! Are there any tips for making the card/address easier for the post office to process in Russia? or anything to avoid?

Go To Top

Imprint