Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: [USA] USA postcrossers - READ this before posting. USPS related questions/FAQ and comments
DenverGarcia

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: DenverGarcia

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 02:41 AM
I only used one stamp, should I a send a replacement?

So I just joined Postcrossing on Monday and have sent my first two postcards on Monday and Wednesday respectively. Today I was looking through the #postcrossing hashtag on Instagram and noticed that most of the cards had several stamps on them, like five or more. This came as a surprise to me because assumed only one was needed, so one is all I put on both cards. So I Googled it and turns out for overseas mail you need more stamps than just for weight because of the distance. I used first class forever stamps in both cases. Will the postcards likely reach their destination or should I go ahead and purchase replacement cards? I still have the addresses and ID numbers I was given so it would be easy
stampraider

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: stampraider

[*] posted on 18-1-2019 at 11:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DenverGarcia  
Will the postcards likely reach their destination or should I go ahead and purchase replacement cards? I still have the addresses and ID numbers I was given so it would be easy

You will probably be fine. I’ve received many cards from the states which have only a single forever stamp on it. But, perhaps if they don’t arrive in 60 days, send a second with correct postal rate?

I’m sure others will have different thoughts on this....
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 02:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DenverGarcia  
So I just joined Postcrossing on Monday and have sent my first two postcards on Monday and Wednesday respectively. Today I was looking through the #postcrossing hashtag on Instagram and noticed that most of the cards had several stamps on them, like five or more. This came as a surprise to me because assumed only one was needed, so one is all I put on both cards. So I Googled it and turns out for overseas mail you need more stamps than just for weight because of the distance. I used first class forever stamps in both cases. Will the postcards likely reach their destination or should I go ahead and purchase replacement cards? I still have the addresses and ID numbers I was given so it would be easy

I would wait. When I first started I did the same thing, and most arrived and were registered. But when some expired (particularly Russia and China) I looked it up and learned about international stamps and used those from then on.
Something to also keep in mind is that even if they do arrive to their destination, some users may report cards to the admins that have insufficient postage and will refuse to register it, even if it was an honest mistake (I think there is a topic about that on this forum).
The lesson here is buy international stamps in bulk! ;) I am surprised how quickly they run out. :P
DenverGarcia

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 03:53 AM

Quote:
You will probably be fine. I’ve received many cards from the states which have only a single forever stamp on it. But, perhaps if they don’t arrive in 60 days, send a second with correct postal rate?

Okay that's comforting, thanks for letting me know. The addresses were in Germany and Russia, so hopefully that's not too far.
DenverGarcia

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 03:57 AM

Quote:
I would wait. When I first started I did the same thing, and most arrived and were registered. But when some expired (particularly Russia and China) I looked it up and learned about international stamps and used those from then on.
Something to also keep in mind is that even if they do arrive to their destination, some users may report cards to the admins that have insufficient postage and will refuse to register it, even if it was an honest mistake (I think there is a topic about that on this forum).
The lesson here is buy international stamps in bulk! ;) I am surprised how quickly they run out. :P

I'll have to take a trip to the post office get some. Right now I just have a ten dollar book of twenty, I thought ten bucks for twenty postcards was a pretty good deal but looks like it might be more like three cards which isn't. Hopefully I'll be able to get some stamps with a design other than the American flag.
Chieusa
Japanese Community moderator

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Chieusa

[*] posted on 19-1-2019 at 08:06 PM

Yes, get a variety of stamps!!

We are all tired of American flag stamps.
Besides, you will be spending much more than you should, if you're just using domestic forever stamps (including American Flag stamps) for international mail.
You need 3 domestic Forever stamps to send a postcard overseas ($1.50 currently, $1.65 after January 27th) to cover the $1.15 international rate.

This is what you can do:
Until January 26th, use TWO domestic forever stamps + 15 cents worth of stamps.
On January 27th and onword, use TWO domestic forever stamps + ONE 5 cent stamp.

You can purchase commemorative stamps at a local post office, but you have more choices if you order online
https://store.usps.com/store/results/stamps/_/N-9y93lv
Remember to buy domestic forever stamps ($0.50) before the price goes up to $0.55 on January 27!
DenverGarcia

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 20-1-2019 at 04:00 AM

Thanks for the link, Chieusa!
DenverGarcia

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 08:15 PM

Okay so great news! I just got a notification that the first card I sent has arrived safely. It was the one going to Germany. I sent the second one to Russia. That one was a few days after and a greater distance so I'll probably get a notification in a few days time.
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 09:16 PM

@DenverGarcia
Distance means nothing, it just depends on the countries. Sometimes, a card from Seattle to Houston will take the same time as a card to Germany ! :D (PS : China, Brazil and Russia are the slowest countries but they're also very big...) :)
peipei

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Pei_CL

[*] posted on 6-2-2019 at 11:16 PM

Is it still $.71 to send a wooden postcard (within US)?
Chieusa
Japanese Community moderator

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Chieusa

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:34 AM

Assuming it is within the standard letter size
Rectangular.
Height: between 3-1/2 inches and 6-1/8 inches
Length : between 5 inches and 11-1/2 inches
Thickness : between 0.007 inch and 1/4 inch thick.

Go to Postage Prince Calculator
Click "Calculate price based on Shape and Size",
Enter the weight
Choose "Letter"
Choose "Content is rigid" because it's wooden.
Scroll down to
First Class Mail
less than 1 oz = $ 0.70 (1¢ cheaper)
less than 2 oz = $ 0.85

Quote: Originally posted by peipei  
peipei

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Pei_CL

[*] posted on 9-2-2019 at 04:10 AM

thank you so much!
Quote: Originally posted by Chieusa  
Assuming it is within the standard letter size
Rectangular.
Height: between 3-1/2 inches and 6-1/8 inches
Length : between 5 inches and 11-1/2 inches
Thickness : between 0.007 inch and 1/4 inch thick.

Go to Postage Prince Calculator
Click "Calculate price based on Shape and Size",
Enter the weight
Choose "Letter"
Choose "Content is rigid" because it's wooden.
Scroll down to
First Class Mail
less than 1 oz = $ 0.70 (1¢ cheaper)
less than 2 oz = $ 0.85

Quote: Originally posted by peipei  
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 07:10 PM

So I got a little stamp-happy and bought these non-machimable surcharge butterfly stamps without reading about them first.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/eastern-tailed-blue-...

I (now) understand these are for oddly shaped and bulky envelopes, however, will it be turned away if I put them on your regular standard postcard? I was hoping to use them for international stamps (for postcrossers who like different stamps on their cards, rather than just using the general USPS issued international stamp)

cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 03:27 AM

It doesn't matter what the stamp says as far as its purpose. All that matters is the value of the stamp. You can use them for 70¢ postage, no matter if the item is non-machinable or not.

Quote: Originally posted by SnowApple  
So I got a little stamp-happy and bought these non-machimable surcharge butterfly stamps without reading about them first.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/eastern-tailed-blue-...

I (now) understand these are for oddly shaped and bulky envelopes, however, will it be turned away if I put them on your regular standard postcard? I was hoping to use them for international stamps (for postcrossers who like different stamps on their cards, rather than just using the general USPS issued international stamp)

woven
formerly known as Manji

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: woven

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 11-3-2019 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Trinch  
I am sharing this experience as a word of caution to US Postcrossers or a confession of my stupidity if it should have been obvious.

I quickly grew bored at the limited variety of $1.15 stamps so I went to the post office to ask for $0.65 cent stamps. That way, I could add them to the wide range of forever stamps. The stamps were labeled "First Class +"

So apparently, despite being $0.65 stamps, they only have a $0.50 postal value. Something I just learned this morning when I dropped off a postcard at the post office. The $0.65 stamps are called 'semipostal' and basically are $0.50 forever stamps with the extra $0.15 going to a charity.

Sadly, I had already dropped off several postcards in mailboxes with the incorrect postage and have no idea what will become of them as there is no return address. Not knowing who got the global stamp or the forever/first class stamp combo, I ended up resending about a dozen cards with an explanation in case they end up with two cards.

Link to the 65 cent 50 cent stamps if curious:
[url]https://store.usps.com/store/results/stamps/0-65/_/N-9y93lvZjrvppz
[/url]

Yes, that happened to me too! :( I didnt realize and the website wasnt very clear when I was ordering it. I figured it out before I sent the postcards.. I felt like I wasted money. :/
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woven  
Quote: Originally posted by Trinch  
I am sharing this experience as a word of caution to US Postcrossers or a confession of my stupidity if it should have been obvious.

I quickly grew bored at the limited variety of $1.15 stamps so I went to the post office to ask for $0.65 cent stamps. That way, I could add them to the wide range of forever stamps. The stamps were labeled "First Class +"

So apparently, despite being $0.65 stamps, they only have a $0.50 postal value. Something I just learned this morning when I dropped off a postcard at the post office. The $0.65 stamps are called 'semipostal' and basically are $0.50 forever stamps with the extra $0.15 going to a charity.

Sadly, I had already dropped off several postcards in mailboxes with the incorrect postage and have no idea what will become of them as there is no return address. Not knowing who got the global stamp or the forever/first class stamp combo, I ended up resending about a dozen cards with an explanation in case they end up with two cards.

Link to the 65 cent 50 cent stamps if curious:
[url]https://store.usps.com/store/results/stamps/0-65/_/N-9y93lvZjrvppz
[/url]

Yes, that happened to me too! :( I didnt realize and the website wasnt very clear when I was ordering it. I figured it out before I sent the postcards.. I felt like I wasted money. :/

Thanks for this clarification. I received one of these with a regular "forever," registered the card but told the user that the card appeared to be under-postaged. She then wrote back that these were 65-cent stamps. I thought that meant they were extra-value stamps for square cards or whatever and apologized, but it still seemed off. Now I understand what had happened. I think the sender honestly thought these were worth 65 cents in postage.

In Germany charity stamps always have "POSTAGE + DONATION" (e.g. 70 + 30 for a 70-cent stamp that costs €1). I think that makes it a lot clearer, but still my local post office tells me people get confused and think they can use these for €1 postage...
woven
formerly known as Manji

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: woven

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 12:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by huygens  
Is anyone else using this?

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/

I had hoped that this would notify me of postcards in my PO box. So far, it is only notifying me of bulk mail, pre-sorted first class, flyers from non-profits, etc. So far, it is a big disappointment.

I finally signed up for this last month! I love it! Especially the pictures. Although it's not 100% accurate, I'm glad I now have an idea of what I'm getting in the mail. And I can read some of the postcards & know where they are coming from before they arrive that day. :P

Quote: Originally posted by ohmageeitsmak  

Q13. How much extra stamps will I need for an oversize postcard?
International Postcard rate $1.15.
Minimum - Maximum dimensio are
Length: 5 1/2 in. - 6 in.
Height: 3 1/2 in. - 4 1/4 in.
Thickness: 0.007 in. - 0.0016 in.
According to USPS Postage Price Calculator, any rectangular or square postcard that is bigger than the size above, pay the First-Class Mail International Large Envelope of $2.29

Isnt it still $1.15? :shocked2: It will be under First-Class Mail® International Letter, which can go up to..
Max. length 11-1/2", height 6-1/8" or thickness 1/4"
I think it falls under Large Envelope rate only if it exceeds the Letter size first.
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 02:37 PM

LOL - $2.29? Why not just make it $2.30 so it's exactly double the regular rate?
joshua82

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: joshua82

[*] posted on 2-6-2019 at 01:32 AM

Hi, there is an item that needs to be updated in the original post of this thread:

Quote: Originally posted by ohmageeitsmak  

Domestic Letter (up to 1 oz): $ 0.50

That should say $0.55 for a domestic letter.
:)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Imprint