Author: Subject: Postcard writing subjects, looking for ideas
red.panda

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: knuffi

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 08:43 AM

that's a good idea, although most of the suggestions I read so far are the usual stuff that people would write (or not write) anyways.
I think the real sharing, the real connection happens when you share something that hit you in a way, which can be positive or negative but often is negative. We are literally bombarded by media and cultural pressure for optimism, positivity, but many people do not feel like that for most of their lives. Telling a little bit of your 'weakness' or your failure or your uneasesiness to someone is so liberating. And often calls for empathy on the other side.
I would like to read more topics that allow space for real life, rather than happy-go-lucky. Something like 'tell an experience that really hit you in a good or bad way'. or 'tell about the last time you cried', ' tell about a time when you shamed'. 'tell about someone/something you miss'
People often do not GET to talk about this kind of stuff.

Ezri

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Ezri

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
We are literally bombarded by media and cultural pressure for optimism, positivity, but many people do not feel like that for most of their lives. Telling a little bit of your 'weakness' or your failure or your uneasesiness to someone is so liberating. And often calls for empathy on the other side.
I would like to read more topics that allow space for real life, rather than happy-go-lucky.

This is so true, I can only support that.
Nzqu

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Nzqu

Mood: New address 8/2019 ->

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 06:44 PM

In my profile I ask people to write about their ways to save the planet. And it's always nice to read about them!

If I myself can't think about anything else to write, I usually tell what I see from my window(s).
Jen_n_Cats

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Jen_n_Cats

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 11:56 PM

• You favorite recipe (or "cookie recipe" for next month's holiday season)
  • Talk about how the New Year is celebrated in your country
  • What do you like most about [the current season]?
  • Your favorite joke.
  • How did you hear about Postcrossing?
  • How did you meet your best friend?
  • What qualities do you like/admire most in people?

leiste

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: leiste

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 05:36 PM

I just sent a postcard to someone who asked for a "confession," not anything horrible, but just something silly or embarrassing. I thought that was fun.

I like questions about songs, books, recipes, etc. that people would recommend.

Recipes can be too long for postcards, so I will give people a tinyurl for ones I like. tinyurl.com/leistepancake. Or, give them a specific google instructions, such as "Rachael Ray's Pumpkin Black Bean Soup."

The question could be more general to ask about local foods. For instance, I just learned about steamed cheeseburgers, which is a Connecticut, USA specialty. This isn't the kind of thing that people make at home, but it is fascinating.

I also think many of these questions could make good postcard prompts. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/em-and-lo/36-questions-to-ask-a-dat_b...
Elinajam

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: Elinajam

Mood: ;)

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 06:33 PM

Some ideas from me:
- what can make you cry/sad,
- what's your favourite desert,
- what are your origins
WildernessCat

Country Flag:
Israel

Israel
Postcrossing Username: wildernesscat

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 09:26 AM

"I will tell you three things about my country, two are true, and one is false. Try to guess which one I made up"... then write three things; preferably make them all marginally believable.
Green-Zombie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Green-Zombie

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 12:49 AM

To be honest I don't personally care for this idea that much. I hardly ever get postcards that just say "Hi my name is ____, Happy Postcrossing." And I can go and on about just about anything so I rarely have an issue writing stuff.

I hope I don't get a bunch of cards that say "My kids/grandkids/pets/summer/music makes me smile." I think the prompt is too general and is likely to generate messages along those lines. Maybe adding a prompt to write why that makes you smile would be better.

Reading: "Hi my name is ____, my cat makes me smile, Happy Postcrossing" isn't much better than a regular generic message. But if you add the part about writing why this could be ok, for instance: "Hi, I'm ____, my cat makes me smile because she's always there for me when I don't feel good, she sleeps on my tummy, and sometimes she runs around like a crazy cat all through the house!" Sooo... Maybe a prompt but with a gentle nudge to write about the reasons why.

Recipes is an idea I don't like. I'm vegan so I really wouldn't want the back of the card wasted on a recipe I'll never use because it has ingredients I can't eat. Other people have food allergies or religious beliefs that prohibit them eating certain things.
Yelhsa
formerly known as asliej

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: yelhsA

Mood: LET’S GO CAPS!

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by red.panda  
that's a good idea, although most of the suggestions I read so far are the usual stuff that people would write (or not write) anyways.
I think the real sharing, the real connection happens when you share something that hit you in a way, which can be positive or negative but often is negative. We are literally bombarded by media and cultural pressure for optimism, positivity, but many people do not feel like that for most of their lives. Telling a little bit of your 'weakness' or your failure or your uneasesiness to someone is so liberating. And often calls for empathy on the other side.
I would like to read more topics that allow space for real life, rather than happy-go-lucky. Something like 'tell an experience that really hit you in a good or bad way'. or 'tell about the last time you cried', ' tell about a time when you shamed'. 'tell about someone/something you miss'
People often do not GET to talk about this kind of stuff.

Second this! I really love it when someone writes an honest statement about themselves or their lives, which is not necessarily always the positive and the happy side of them. It honestly can get old reading messages about their "happy" side. Seeing honest messages like that tells me that we're relatable and that they (or their lives) aren't perfect too.

One example: Tell me something you regret doing in the past

I'm sure we all regret doing something. On the other hand, I feel like that's a bit of a sensitive topic but that's only if you're comfortable writing about it.
chlebek

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: chlebek

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Green-Zombie  

Recipes is an idea I don't like. I'm vegan so I really wouldn't want the back of the card wasted on a recipe I'll never use because it has ingredients I can't eat. Other people have food allergies or religious beliefs that prohibit them eating certain things.

I think the idea behind the food/recipy is not necesarily to try it out to cootk or eat it but to get some information about the food customs in a certain country. You can treat it as a curiosity or a piece of fun fact about the country you don't know so well. It can also work as a kind of memory - ex. my favourite childhood food was sliced bread, fried on a pan with garlic and butter that my grandma used to make for me... and so on. So I personally think there is a lot of possibilities.
chlebek

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: chlebek

Mood: happy!

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 09:45 AM

My idea for the next month would be:

describe what do you see behind your window at the moment of writing the postcard
johano_sulfuro

Country Flag:
South Korea

South Korea
Postcrossing Username: johano_sulfuro

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 09:00 AM

My idea:

write a very funny limerick (even a dirty one).
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by johano_sulfuro  
My idea:

write a very funny limerick (even a dirty one).

Limerick would be fun. But writing a dirty limerick (or joke or story) to a stranger isn't something I'd do here at Postcrossing. I'm used to hearing dirty stories, but I bet there's other members that would not appreciate it for various reasons.
johano_sulfuro

Country Flag:
South Korea

South Korea
Postcrossing Username: johano_sulfuro

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 12:12 PM

My suggestion:

What was your favorite dream you had?
Petre

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Petre

[*] posted on 16-7-2018 at 07:13 PM

What celebrity do you wish you could send a cart trough postcrossing and why?
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 04:49 AM

I liked these prompts by other members:

local myth or fairytale
local news of the day
open a random book and copy the text on the postcard
write something in your native tongue, and translate it
the meaning of your name

And, of course: draw or doodle something!
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 01:34 PM

thank you for keeping us stocked on ideas for these posts! :)
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 5-3-2019 at 08:24 AM

I have another idea now. If a person could get a special skill for the rest of his/her life, what would (s)he like that skill to be? Either realistic or not realistic!
I would like to be able to speak and understand a language fluently whenever needed. Just like turning a knob; going from not knowing the language to fluency in a second. If I travel to Japan, I'd like to be able to understand Japanese when I'm there. And if I meet a refugee here in Norway which doesn't speak Norwegian very well, I'd like to speak with him/her in his/her own language. Being able to explain something in their own language could be very convenient sometimes.
ana
Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: meiadeleite

[*] posted on 5-3-2019 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Norway_girl  
I have another idea now. If a person could get a special skill for the rest of his/her life, what would (s)he like that skill to be?

This is a cool idea! I wonder what I would choose as my special skill...
tanya93

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: tanya93

[*] posted on 22-3-2019 at 09:12 PM

Hi all :)
new member here!

I love the idea of the writing prompts and would suggest the following:

- what was your dream job as a child
- if you could travel anywhere where would you go and why
- who's your country's national hero
Ineminemutte

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: Ineminemutte

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 11:54 AM

Two questions I've been asking postcrossers:

- What is the most beautiful thing in the world? (Question taken from Sonya Hartnett's "The Ghost's child")
- What books did you read and love as a child?

I love the answers I've received so far, especially on the first question.

Some other questions/themes I can think of:

- What historical events have been important for your country?
(but maybe this question can be tricky if it becomes too political)
- Why are you doing what you're doing?
(A little bit cryptic, but I think it can give some nice answers. Eg "I work as a nurse because I want to help others", "I study history because I believe that you have to know the past to build a future", "I do postcrossing together with my children because I believe it will enrich their world", "I'm a stamp collector because...", etc).
- If you were an animal, what animal would you like to be?
- Tell about a song that recently touched you
- What is your favourite smell? Do you maybe associate favourite memories, places or persons with it?
- Imagine you could send a postcard to the past. To what period and/or person would you send it? What would you write? (remember that space on a postcard is limited :) )
- Imagine you could send a postcard to the future. What would you write?
- Tell about a person that has been inspiring you. It can be a celebrity, but also a family member or friend or even a stranger on the street you only crossed paths with once.
- How did you learn about postcrossing and what made you stay?
- Write about a place you love/that is somehow special for you. It can be an entire country, but also a specific tree in the park.
- Imagine you could travel together with the postcard you're writing to it's destination. What would you like to do/see in the place where the recipient is living? Maybe google can help to give you some inspiration and learn more about the place while mentally travelling :)
- This month, try to give a (sincere!) compliment to the receiver. Maybe the person wrote something kind, interesting or funny on her/his profile, or has an interesting/meaningful job/hobby? Or she/he has shared some of his/her creative work (a blog, self-made cards...)? Maybe you just like the person's first name, or you spotted a cute pet on the profile picture? Don't just think these things, tell them. You could also write something nice or encouraging in general.
- Write about a documentary you enjoyed/found interesting.
- Write about a nice, touching or inspirational experience you've had on postcrossing so far.
- Write a line (or a few lines) from your favourite poem. What do you like about the poem?
- Try to come up with a short poem or five word story yourself, maybe about the postcard.
- If you could travel to a certain period in the past, where would you want to go and what would you like to do?
- Write about something that made you laugh or just happy recently
- Many people collect things. Some collections (like stamps) are very common, while others are more rare. Write about something you collect or used to collect in the past. Why do/did you like to collect this?
- languages (1): What languages have you studied so far, or would you like to study in the future? Why do you want to study this(these) language(s)?
- languages (2): teach something interesting/ funny about your language. Maybe you have a word that cannot be translated into other languages? Or a nice proverb? (proverbs could also be a separate more specific question).

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint