Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can stamp design affect delivery?
nereism

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: NereisM

puzzled.gif posted on 15-8-2017 at 02:35 PM
Can stamp design affect delivery?

This is my first time on the forum so I wasn't sure where to put this, but I have a sort of strange question:

In Canada, for our 150th anniversary we have a special series of stamps for accomplishments. One of them is for legalizing same-sex marriage. The stamp features the rainbow pride flag and says "marriage equality".

Maybe I am overthinking, but if I used this stamp on postcards/envelopes going to countries that do not support lgbtq+ (at a government level), could there be an issue with it being accepted into the country? Could it be turned away due to the subject of the stamp?
Marnie

Postcrossing Username: Marnie

Mood: =^^=

[*] posted on 15-8-2017 at 03:26 PM

I don't know, but I don't myself use the Tom of Finland stamps when I send mail to our eastern neighbours (or other countries which are not so "liberal"). This is "just in case" thing, I'm probably overthinking too. :)
Kleine.Liebe

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Kleine_Liebe

[*] posted on 18-8-2017 at 10:34 AM

Welcome to the Forum, nereism!

I don't think you are overthinking this issue. In some countries the issue of marriage equality isn't a great topic to talk about. I don't think your card would be turned away, but it might get "lost" (= thrown away/destroyed by "accident" of course!).

It's great, that Canada released those stamps, but I'd use them for countries that support the issue. However, I would have used the stamps to Germany, although same-sex couples will be able to marry starting this fall. It's all about the country you are sending to. Liberal countries will accept the stamp rather than less liberal ones.
Xapphirea

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Xapphirea

Mood: Openminded

[*] posted on 18-8-2017 at 10:37 AM

I don't think you should worry. Most cards are processed automatically, and the mailman would probably be too busy to look at stamps?
Just send them to the Netherlands (to me haha ), those stamps sound really cool!
xx
Bellatrix

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Bellatrix

[*] posted on 26-8-2017 at 05:46 PM

I love the Canada 150 stamps! But I'm avoiding putting the Marriage Equality on cards to Russia etc. Cards are processed automatically, but then they are delivered by hand. And I could imagine a personally offended post person deciding to rather "lose" it. So why risk it.
There are 10 different stamps in the booklet, there's enough choice. And there are also enough countries where a stamp is not a risk, so send it there.
Adil

Country Flag:
Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan
Postcrossing Username: kzswap

[*] posted on 27-9-2017 at 12:34 PM

In my experience when i put many beautiful stamps on card it often not reaching postcrossers. Some postal workers during transit keeping card for it's own collection
humanityera

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: humanityera

[*] posted on 29-11-2017 at 02:37 AM

In the US recently there was some racket on Eid Mubarak stamps where this postal worker openly said that she will not deliver any mail with an Eid Mubarak stamp. I think they fired her for her public outburst. But keeping that in mind, I'd rather be cautious and not send it to a country that is not keen on LGBT stuff.. better safe than sorry
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2018 at 07:23 AM

After getting a homophobic message from a Russian user I put Harvey Milk (first openly gay US politician) stamp on almost all my cards to Russia in a little personal "protest". No more than usual went missing and one person sent me a very nice hurray message saying he was gay and really liked that stamp. It is very subtle, just a picture of him, his name, and a very tiny rainbow flag emblem on one side. If you didn't already know who he was and what he is known for, you likely wouldn't know this was a gay pride type stamp.
circusgypsy

Country Flag:
Phillippines

Phillippines
Postcrossing Username: Circusgypsy

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 05:38 AM

Nah, I don't think so. I don't think anyone really looks at the stamps.
Iside82

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: Iside82

Mood: I'm sorry but lately my cards are very slow to arrive. Please be patient!

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 11:28 AM

I tend not to use very religious stamps (the Pope, Nativity scenes...) when sending to Islamic countries, but probably I'm just overthinking too
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: klaus3428

[*] posted on 14-3-2018 at 01:57 PM

I wouldn't think stamp collecting is such a wide-spread hobby these days, or postcard collecting, unless antique items are involved.

What is more of a problem in the state and private postal and courier business these days is theft by staff of packages, many of which contain valuable goods worth hundreds or thousands. The companies spend millions of Dollars on internal control and security systems to prevent theft.
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 20-3-2018 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  
After getting a homophobic message from a Russian user I put Harvey Milk (first openly gay US politician) stamp on almost all my cards to Russia in a little personal "protest". No more than usual went missing and one person sent me a very nice hurray message saying he was gay and really liked that stamp. It is very subtle, just a picture of him, his name, and a very tiny rainbow flag emblem on one side. If you didn't already know who he was and what he is known for, you likely wouldn't know this was a gay pride type stamp.

That is a very good way to cope with that! Go on doing so!
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 08:38 AM

Hi all,
Swiss Post just issued a stamp for the coming of the pope (only few hours :lol: ). As I'm atheist, I won't use this stamp for any countries (even if it's to the USA, ...). I'm sure that I can offense people if I use this stamp... The only "religious" stamps OK for me are the ones for Christmas. What do you think ?
aloof_apricot

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: aloof_apricot

Mood: cheerful resignation

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 04:01 PM

I'm also very cautious with the stamps I use, it's nice to see I'm not the only one :D

I have some stamps with the old pope (JPII) and I only send them to people who specifically ask for religious things in their profile.

There are also stamps issued with the Cursed Soldiers of Poland and I wouldn't dare send them to Russia for example. Generally most of my historical stamps are going to countries that don't share a border and a lot of history with us, just in case - I wouldn't want to anger the recipient or the post worker.
mousytrap

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: mousytrap

Mood: Keen to sort my life out!

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thubcabe  
Hi all,
Swiss Post just issued a stamp for the coming of the pope (only few hours :lol: ). As I'm atheist, I won't use this stamp for any countries (even if it's to the USA, ...). I'm sure that I can offense people if I use this stamp... The only "religious" stamps OK for me are the ones for Christmas. What do you think ?

I'm also atheist.

I also avoid buying religious stamps, even at Christmas. Often there are both religious and nonreligious ones available at that time. I don't buy many Christmas ones anyway because often they're all self-adhesive.

Occasionally I end up with one or two creeping into batches I buy from a stamp dealer and they tend to be the last ones I use, when I'm running out and desperate.

dianaf

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: dianaf

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 08:50 AM

At first I wanted to answer that I don't really think about what kind of stamp I use. But I realize I do.
Not often, but some I don't sent to certain countries. I can't think up an example.
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 12:48 PM

In a museum I saw stamps from the war and when Germany was split in two, stamps that carried messages the receiver's country didn't like or from "countries" that the receiver's didn't acknowledge. And the stamps were often either ripped off, printed over or completely blacked out :D
Especially the printed-over ones could be very interesting and creative and collectors would probably love to receive a stamp like that. I don't remember the exact one but e.g. there was a stamp with a slogan and just a few words were x-ed out and instead different words were printed so that the sentence became a different meaning. (So much effort!!)
But I don't know what is usual nowadays. I would send it anyways. Shit can happen whatever you decide on and if a stamp with an important message does make its way through, how awesome is that!

Go To Top

Imprint