Author: Subject: Disappointing cards?
Gait

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Gait

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 02:37 PM
Disappointing cards?

I know I know, you have to appreciate all cards you get. And I really do appreciate all cards that I get, really but today I really got a disappointing one and I'm not sure what to do. I have not registered it yet (I will soon)..

I got a very beautiful envelope toda and it made me curious what was inside. The id number was on the envelope but when I opened it there wer three postcards in it. First I thought: oh awesome. But... There is nothing written on any of them. I don't know which of them I will upload as card I received; as I did get all three of them, but at the same time I got three cards that are unwritten and all.

I'm just not sure what to think of it. I'm not quickly disappointed but this made makes me a bit sad. What should I write in the id message? I usually write something but I don't really feel up for writing anything because the sender also did not wirte anything at all.
Heatherw3

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: heatherw3

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 02:58 PM

I would say something like "Thank you for the beautiful envelope. I was very excited to open it and find three lovely cards inside."
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 03:39 PM

I don't think you have to appreciate all the cards that you receive. You have to appreciate the fact that someone sent you something, yes, but you don't have to like any of them.

Just say "Thank you for the cards."
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 03:51 PM

The sender didn't technically do anything wrong, but I understand your disappointment. Maybe when you register the ID#, you will discover that the sender is new to Postcrossing and misunderstands how it works. If that's the case, you can then send a U2U message explaining that it's customary to send just one card that includes a message. Let us know what happens, please.
Gait

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
The sender didn't technically do anything wrong, but I understand your disappointment. Maybe when you register the ID#, you will discover that the sender is new to Postcrossing and misunderstands how it works. If that's the case, you can then send a U2U message explaining that it's customary to send just one card that includes a message. Let us know what happens, please.

I registered the card and the card came from the top 1 sender from Taiwan. So I do think he knows how it works but it still feels bad not to receive a message on them, especially since I do have on my profile that I would like to get more than a message as 'happy postcrossing' and some inspiration if thye don't know what to write.

And I do appreciate every card though, the senders and all if they took the time for it. But I especially love to read the message and that is why this knd of feels like a disappointment.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 04:17 PM

I received several of this 'I want to get ridd off' envelop surprises.
With unwritten addcards I won't use for postcrossing myself.
Register not sooner then you found something suitable for in a Hurray. Check postage: if underpaid don't register but report. Oh well, that is for all incoming mail.
Or register without words. Not uploading is better, it won't remind you.
lydacher

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 04:19 PM

Well, that IS very disappointing. I guess the only bright side is that now you have a couple of extra postcards to send to someone else. ;-)
Pilapaskn22r

Country Flag:
Estonia

Estonia
Postcrossing Username: Tamzin

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 04:23 PM

I once got the same thing - 3 unwritten postcard with an ID on the envelope. Maybe same user? Mine was from the Netherlands.
I uploaded the prettiest one :)
I, too, was a bit disappointed. It kinda messed up my system :D But i liked all of them and I really am thankful, I don't bother to send more than one at a time, I'm cheap that way :)
Gait

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 04:29 PM

@HMKM Thank you for your review. I will think it over the next time. I did register it this time but maybe next time I will just write it in the hurray message that I was kind of disappointed, then maybe it makes the sender think twice about it. Because I'm sure I'm not the only one that dislikes getting this.

@Lydacher Haha I will keep them. I have a special book where I put all my postcards in and they will go in there with a message that the sender send me 3 cards but didn't write anything. I am just waiting for the mailman to arrive with my new paper so I can actually do that xD

@Pilapaskn22r mine was from Taiwan. I might just upload the envelope because I had one pretty envelope xD But I keep all three so I see what I will do with uploading. Either just one or all three. I will see. And why is it called cheap that way?xD I don't send more cards as well, unless someone really asks for it :)
lydacher

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 04:32 PM

Oh, I know this Postcrosser; I sent him a card about a year ago. I think he may be one of those people who is primarily interested in the collecting aspect of Postcrossing, rather than the connecting-with-people aspect. We're all in this for different reasons, I guess. I'm always more interested in the message, and I often forget to even look at the front side of the postcard until I'm writing the thank-you message.
Serenwen

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: Serenwen

Mood: Reasonable

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gait  
I know I know, you have to appreciate all cards you get. And I really do appreciate all cards that I get, really but today I really got a disappointing one and I'm not sure what to do. I have not registered it yet (I will soon)..

I got a very beautiful envelope toda and it made me curious what was inside. The id number was on the envelope but when I opened it there wer three postcards in it. First I thought: oh awesome. But... There is nothing written on any of them. I don't know which of them I will upload as card I received; as I did get all three of them, but at the same time I got three cards that are unwritten and all.

I'm just not sure what to think of it. I'm not quickly disappointed but this made makes me a bit sad. What should I write in the id message? I usually write something but I don't really feel up for writing anything because the sender also did not wirte anything at all.

That happened to me about a year ago. Nice envelope, lovely stamps, I.D. On the back of the envelope that contained 3 blank cards! Can't remember what I wrote in the hurray message. Mine was also from Taiwan.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 06:29 PM

Was this the first time you received a postcard (or postcards) without a message? Wow, you're lucky! We all get them from time to time, the best thing you can do is not to dwell on it and move on. You can tell the sender you were disappointed, but that's not going to change a thing, if you ask me.
As lydacher said, we're all in this for different reasons. Communcation clearly isn't what interests him about postcrossing, so you two were just a postcrossing mismatch. But that's random for you, and sometimes it's good to be reminded that people are different.
Gait

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 07:16 PM

@Serenwen I checked the usernames in your account from received from Taiwan and he was in there yes so I guess we got it from the same person.

@Siobhan I didn't know that it happened more times but yeah, this was my very first time. In all my time in postcrossing I also just got 3 in an envelope (yes, I do keep the envelopes as well) but those other two were just written on. I didn't know this happened more.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 07:41 PM

If I received unwritten, but nice cards, I would probably thank the sender for the nice cards, but also tell that I had prefer receiving the postcards written.
Heepy

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Heepy

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 09:48 PM

I actually think the sender meant this in a positive way, especially since he is a top sender and might be too busy to read profiles thoroughly.

Like already stated, some people do approach this with a collector's mind, and the user probably thought he was doing you a favor by sending blank cards that you can trade/send. His thoughtfulness did come through with the nice envelope.

I've also received cards through here that could be called "disappointing." (Including no message from Taiwan as well). While we're not required to send any text in the hurray message, I have tried to think beyond the disappointment and to compose a nice, polite one anyway.

Also, I have to remind myself that as long as the user followed the rules (sent a POSTCARD, put the ID on it and applied correct postage, he/she has done his/her job.

I'm sorry this happened to you though. Try to focus on all the ones who sent nice messages :)
Gait

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 17-10-2017 at 11:49 PM

@Heepy yet even if he's a top sender then I do think it would be at least nice to look at the cards. Because you are a top sender I think it's not really a good reason not to look at someone's profile, I think that if you are a pro sender then at least take the time to look at who you are sending.

And I have said on my profile that I like to receive cards with something on it because I don't see it as a collectors thing and love to receive messages. And if he did do it from that view he should have looked at my profile to actually see what I might even like to receive (which he didn't either because I got cards that didn't even fit my interests at all. Well maybe one, but I cannot confirm it because he didn't write with it what it was, and my Chinese is non excistance so I cannot read the information from the card.)

Anyhow again; that he's a top sender is no reason not to look at someone's profile. Then send a card lesser and put more efford in the cards you are sending too.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 12:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gait  
@Heepy yet even if he's a top sender then I do think it would be at least nice to look at the cards. Because you are a top sender I think it's not really a good reason not to look at someone's profile, I think that if you are a pro sender then at least take the time to look at who you are sending.

And I have said on my profile that I like to receive cards with something on it because I don't see it as a collectors thing and love to receive messages. And if he did do it from that view he should have looked at my profile to actually see what I might even like to receive (which he didn't either because I got cards that didn't even fit my interests at all. Well maybe one, but I cannot confirm it because he didn't write with it what it was, and my Chinese is non excistance so I cannot read the information from the card.)

Anyhow again; that he's a top sender is no reason not to look at someone's profile. Then send a card lesser and put more efford in the cards you are sending too.

Yes, it would be nice if all senders looked at profiles and followed our wishes. But, it's not required. My advice is just move on, focus on the cards you do enjoy.
jhbr

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: jhbr

Mood: i can see clearly now, the brain has gone...

[*] posted on 18-10-2017 at 08:55 PM

it happened a couple of times to me as well.
i don't choose a certain card then to upload, but upload a picture including all of them...

https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NL-3622194

Waldbaum

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Waldbaum

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
The sender didn't technically do anything wrong, but I understand your disappointment. Maybe when you register the ID#, you will discover that the sender is new to Postcrossing and misunderstands how it works. If that's the case, you can then send a U2U message explaining that it's customary to send just one card that includes a message.

Let us know what happens, please.

Yes, that's an idea.

And I wonder what has happened in the mean time, too.
Lucienn

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Lucienn

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 02:38 PM

Today I received a card from the US and it was only written "Happy Postcrossing " on it.

Ok - I would understand if it is coming from a country where the english language is rare, but the US People should be able to write a few of sentences...

I am so disappointed that I don´t write her a Thank You Message , so I registered the card without it.

That is not the spirit of this site. Everybody can write more then just a stupid "Happy Postcrossing" :D
Waldbaum

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Waldbaum

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lucienn  
Today I received a card from the US and it was only written "Happy Postcrossing " on it.

I can top that experience. :cool:

I once got a card with nothing written on it but the ID-number. :(

I wonder what those people think who send such cards. :question:
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 04:25 PM

I once got a card from Scotland where the sender only wrote, "How are you?"
I registered the card thanking him for the lovely card and said, "I am well. how are you?" :D

Quitospaw

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Quitospaw

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:52 PM

For me, it's more like "Disappointing message" rather than disappointing cards. :)

For example I favorited a card showing multi view touristic stuff. I'm not into that at aaaaall but the sender wrote such a lovely and personal message so I was super happy! A "boring" card can be one of the best, if the message is personal and nice. On the other hand, a super nice card can be lame if it's blank due to the sender being lazy. (there are reasons where I understand blankness) :)
Nakkinenä

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Nakendorf

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 09:06 PM

Once I got an almost blank card sent by a little child with only “Happy postcrossing” on it done by a rubber stamp. My address and ID were printed and taped. Can’t say I was too excited as I had no idea it was sent on behalf of child before I registered it.
tb_au

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Tho84

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nakkinenä  
Once I got an almost blank card sent by a little child with only “Happy postcrossing” on it done by a rubber stamp. My address and ID were printed and taped. Can’t say I was too excited as I had no idea it was sent on behalf of child before I registered it.

I've had something similar however it was an adult and a piece of paper was stuck on the back of the postcard that said "I am lazy but like receiving postcards, Happy Postcrossing!"

What a bummer :puzzled:
 Pages:  1    3  ..  8

Go To Top

Imprint