Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8
Author: Subject: Disappointing cards?
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 10:07 PM

Now I'm clearly calling for it, but so far I have never received a card with just 'happy postcrossing' on it. I have got a few short messages, including one where, after registering, I noticed this person's English wasn't amazing, but he replied to my thankyou message with a really friendly message, so I am actually quite fond of this postcard (I quite like the picture on it too).
Waldbaum

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Waldbaum

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nakkinenä  

... with only “Happy postcrossing” on it done by a rubber stamp.

Done by a rubber stamp! :thumbdown:

I think that's really terrible! :(:(:(:(

That's like getting a postcard from a robot! :(
Nakkinenä

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Nakendorf

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 10:48 PM

Exactly, I was intimidated by it. I think 3,4,5 y.o. child could perhaps draw something on the card, just to indicate it was a child. Otherwise looked like someone didn’t want me to see his handwriting for some reason :duh:
wiese

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Wiese

Mood: I send this smile over to you.

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 11:49 PM

Once I received an ad card as an official with lots of printed text on the backside. The sender wrote a few words on top of it with a big black pen (Edding; don't know if they're internationally known).
That was very disappointing.

But at least the picture was nice, and the stamp was really awesome.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 12:45 AM

I got a card once that had only the ID and "Happy Postcrossing." When I registered it and saw the profile, the user asked others to write her a long message! I sent a second message saying it would have been nice to have a longer message same as she asked for in her profile.

I also got a card once that had a typed message like "Greetings! I hope you enjoy this card of _______." The blank was filled in by hand with the topic of the card. It was a topic from my wish list but I was still a bit disappointed that I felt like I was on a conveyor belt of postcards that user was sending only writing one word different from every other postcard.

But, most times I get nice messages.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 08:24 PM

I wish I knew how to discourage this type of thing. Today I got an envelope - Big quote on front and my address and the senders on the back of the envelope??? Inside was a folded Christmas card with three recipe cards (Printing on front and back) inside of the card. I don't even have recipes on my list. None of these are postcards.

They did write a message and asked me to pray for them. I don't even know what to say when I register it.

Last year I put a note on my profile asking people to stop sending tickets, teabags, newspaper clippings, big puffy stickers, coins, maps and especially envelopes. I had a person tell me I was rude and didn't deserve to get anything other then a blank postcard in an envelope if I was going to have a rude profile.

lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 08:56 PM

tb_au: I think I may have received a postcard from your "lazy" Postcrosser's mother. On her profile, she asks people to send a card for her son because "He is a very lazy Postcrosser" who "adores receiving, but doesn't like to send them." she offers to register them and forward them to him. He's 19 years old.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LyndaC  
I wish I knew how to discourage this type of thing. Today I got an envelope - Big quote on front and my address and the senders on the back of the envelope??? Inside was a folded Christmas card with three recipe cards (Printing on front and back) inside of the card. I don't even have recipes on my list. None of these are postcards.

They did write a message and asked me to pray for them. I don't even know what to say when I register it.

Last year I put a note on my profile asking people to stop sending tickets, teabags, newspaper clippings, big puffy stickers, coins, maps and especially envelopes. I had a person tell me I was rude and didn't deserve to get anything other then a blank postcard in an envelope if I was going to have a rude profile.

Since none were postcards, imo you should have reported this and not registered it.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  

Since none were postcards, imo you should have reported this and not registered it.

The last time I did that admin told me to register and tell the person I was disappointed. I did and the person replied that in five years they had sent lots of folded cards and I was the first person that complained. They couldn't understand why I was complaining.
Waldbaum

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Waldbaum

[*] posted on 6-12-2017 at 10:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
tb_au: I think I may have received a postcard from your "lazy" Postcrosser's mother. On her profile, she asks people to send a card for her son because "He is a very lazy Postcrosser" who "adores receiving, but doesn't like to send them." she offers to register them and forward them to him. He's 19 years old.

A so-called "helicopter-mother" ....
balutkid

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: LoloBert

Mood: Ecstatic that you are sending me a postcard

[*] posted on 21-12-2017 at 05:20 PM

I received a card from Malaysia that really disappointed me. It was from someone who simply chose a card from his vast collection of used cards, slapped on a very generic note that I get the impression he uses on all the cards he sends out and was done with it. At least he did use a Malaysian stamp.

It really does take a great deal to irritate me, but this did. His pasted note even says "I hope you dont mind that I didnt send you a card from my home country".
There was no indication that he even read my profile. I suspect he has a stack of cards with this note pasted on them, ready to go, and he doesn't consult the profile. He just addresses them and off they go.

My hurray message was something like "Thank you for sending a card".

ok, I'm done.

-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-

Mood: We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children - Native American proverb

[*] posted on 21-12-2017 at 06:57 PM

The last days I've got a card from Croatia with a cut-out of a used postcard that was applied with glue to an adcard.

"Hope you like the card" was written on the back. Hä??? Why should I like it?

Hurray message was: Thank you.
After that I put the card in a bin.
Nakkinenä

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland

[*] posted on 21-12-2017 at 09:23 PM

Bille,
you are not the only "lucky" one. I just had a look, this user sent similar cutouts to others too. I totally understand your disappointment :mad:
angeldreamer

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Angeldreamer

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
Oh, I know this Postcrosser; I sent him a card about a year ago. I think he may be one of those people who is primarily interested in the collecting aspect of Postcrossing, rather than the connecting-with-people aspect. We're all in this for different reasons, I guess.

:eureka: I'm always more interested in the message, and I often forget to even look at the front side of the postcard until I'm writing the thank-you message. :eureka:

I do the same!!! It's a bonus if the card is something I like or enjoy but my greatest disappointment is if there is little or nothing written. I like to get the mail and read the messages the most!:saint:
wiese

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Wiese

Mood: I send this smile over to you.

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 12:57 PM

Today I received a nearly blank card too. It is the second card like this. They just put it into an envelope, wrote the ID on the card and that's it.

I know, there is no obligation to write a message, but I'm still disappointed :lol:

Oh and the other card I received today had just the standard-text too.

What a not-great way to start the new year^^
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 02:38 PM

I've gotten cards (handful at most) that have just said "happy Postcrossing"

I got one that had only the ID number on it and the word "hello"

I think I've received maybe 2 greeting cards (folded cards) rather than postcards, and one card that was in an envelope inside the traveling envelope. The card was tiny....not even the size of a business card......so no message on it.

I tell myself when things like this happen....oh well, at least they made the effort to put a stamp on it and send it.

But my hurray messages for things like that tend to be just "Thank you for the card" at most.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 22-9-2018 at 11:41 PM

Its pretty rare, but I guess once in a while we all get a bummer card...mine was an ad card for Italian leather purses, but sent from an Asian member. I understand that many people don't have attractive or interesting cards available to them so these things can happen. I commented on the pretty stamps, but didn't bother to upload the image. The Sender (a 10 year member of PC) has this same card on her sent wall many times, while her received wall has a good variety of tourist cards. It would be nice if she could try a little harder to find non-ad cards as her home country is a very interesting place!
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 23-9-2018 at 06:23 PM

I recently received a postcard that was obscene in nature. I'm a lover of birds and I received a 'bird' of a different sort that had the face of a bird painted on the end of it. I was very upset because my 8 year old grandson was here and he loves helping me with the postcards. I sent him out to check the mailbox and he came in laughing and telling me that someone sent a 'clown bird'. Thank goodness he didn't realize what it was. I was annoyed and very disappointed that someone thought it was okay to send it through the mail. I registered it with no message of thanks, although I had lots to say about it, I thought it would be a waste of time... and I did not post the picture.

On the other hand, I had to wonder about the man that would allow a bird to be painted on the end of his &%$#*. I guess it takes all kinds.
Nakkinenä

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland

[*] posted on 23-9-2018 at 08:02 PM

Oh quite an awful case. Maybe you should mention in your profile that you would prefer family friendly cards..
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 23-9-2018 at 09:32 PM

@Sfander I bet I would like it. Your grandson has good sense of humour!
I remember such elephant postcards in the 1980's in Amsterdam. With a part of a male as trunck.

Seriously, some cards are not family friendly. Maybe laughing about it if received is the best and move.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 23-9-2018 at 10:52 PM

my 8 year old nephew received a card with a naked woman (he likes to get the mail out of the box)...he asked his mom why anyone would send a naked card. She tossed it and we are hoping he forgets. Mom did write a message to the sender saying it was inappropriate and his profile clearly says he is a child and lists children's interests
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 25-9-2018 at 08:56 PM

@Nakendorf...I, at one time did include a 'please do not send risque or obscene postcards' and I guess that provoked a couple of senders to send truly obscene postcards, so I took that request down. Just like I had to for my request that I prefer not to send postcards to your pets. You should read some of the comments I got on those postcards...Unbelievable...I almost quit Postcrossing over one of them, as I was new and thought, I didn't need the hassle. I'm glad I've learned to just ignore the ignorant and stayed.

@HMKM...Honestly, I nearly fell of my chair when my grandson handed me the 'Clown Bird' card! I enjoy a good joke, but was annoyed to think someone was so thoughtless.
bluegreenfigs

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: lilacs-and-figs

[*] posted on 27-9-2018 at 05:24 PM

The only "disappointment" I had was when someone sent me a bundle of written postcards that they had received from other postcrossers, in an envelope. They wrote the ID number on a sticky note with a line to me encouraging me to enjoy their recent cards. I registered it, I now think perhaps I shouldn't have done, but there was no malice in it.

I was a bit baffled to be honest.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 27-9-2018 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bluegreenfigs  
The only "disappointment" I had was when someone sent me a bundle of written postcards that they had received from other postcrossers, in an envelope. They wrote the ID number on a sticky note with a line to me encouraging me to enjoy their recent cards. I registered it, I now think perhaps I shouldn't have done, but there was no malice in it.

Actually, that is one of the few things expressly prohibited by Postcrossing:

"Postcrossing is a postcard exchange community, so each exchange that you make must include at least one postcard. It can be a postcard you bought in a store or a handmade postcard, as long as it hasn't been previously used."

I would have reported them.
bluegreenfigs

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: lilacs-and-figs

[*] posted on 27-9-2018 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  
Quote: Originally posted by bluegreenfigs  

Actually, that is one of the few things expressly prohibited by Postcrossing:

"Postcrossing is a postcard exchange community, so each exchange that you make must include at least one postcard. It can be a postcard you bought in a store or a handmade postcard, as long as it hasn't been previously used."

I would have reported them.

Well, if something similar happens again, I will.

At first I felt a bit like I was being used as a recycling service - then I just shrugged and registered.
What a waste of money for them, though -- it must cost more to send 6 postcards in an envelope than to just pop a postcard in the post.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8

Go To Top

Imprint