fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-10-2019 at 04:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  

Nope, not "really disappointing". Just puzzled and thought I'd join in, with (what I thought was) jokey remark (which already yielded same sort of jokey remark from our fire-maggie), that's all! :)

I didn't intend my comment to be jokey. I'm sure there are plenty of autistic postcrossers and if they want to use it to share their special interest with everyone, that's completely within the rules even if not everyone wants to receive that type of card.
grizzabella

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: grizzabella

[*] posted on 28-10-2019 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by haathi  
I've had a card with a grey butterfly/moth on it. I thought this rather odd, since I've said nothing about butterflies or moths or other flying insects or any other wildlife in my profile. Then out of sheer curiosity I checked his page. He sends butterflies/moths to EVERYONE. I can only assume that he bought hundreds of these cards and is just using them up. :info:

His scan before posting is wonky. I can't be assed to re-scan it, now that it's arrived. So there. Huh. ;)

He doesn't have a butterfly fixation, neither is he autistic. Postcards here in India are not common so people buy whatever is easily available and affordable. The butterfly postcard you received is from a set of 30 postcards that are sold as pack, they are not sold individually. It's quite possible this is the only set he could find and that's why he's sending butterfly cards to everyone. There are also other sets on Wildlife, Birds and UNESCO sites but some of these are no longer being printed.

You'll find that there are a lot of Indians who send the same set of postcards. They should probably be sending a variety of cards to please everyone but that might not be possible for everyone.

:thumbup::thumbup:
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 28-10-2019 at 08:03 PM

I've had a card with a grey butterfly/moth on it. I thought this rather odd, since I've said nothing about butterflies or moths or other flying insects or any other wildlife in my profile. Then out of sheer curiosity I checked his page. He sends butterflies/moths to EVERYONE. I can only assume that he bought hundreds of these cards and is just using them up. :info:

His scan before posting is wonky. I can't be assed to re-scan it, now that it's arrived. So there. Huh. ;)

"So there. Huh" ?! Cutesy emoticon or not, It makes it sound like you think he sent you a butterfly card as an insult or something and now you are getting back at him by not posting a scan that is better than his was. Please. They are nice cards, and from his wall it is clear he does *not* send the same card to everyone. It looks like he bought a couple of sets of butterfly cards and also sets of some other cards and he also sends some amazing vintage first-day editions.

And even if he was sending butterfly cards to everyone, so what? I first started Postcrossing thinking it was simply "send a card, get a card." I had a single set of Jeffrey Brown cartoon cat cards, and no idea in the world that by sending them I might be branded as "autistic" or otherwise in need of punishment for sending them to someone who did not like cats, or did not like cartoons, or did not like that I sent more than one cartoon cat card in a row...

Not every card you receive will be a home run, right? Trust me (or just scan the posts in the Forum), if you want to post something int the "disappointing" thread just wait. You *will* at some point have something really worth rolling your eyes over!
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 28-10-2019 at 08:39 PM

This thread has really taken an ableist turn. There's nothing wrong with being autistic, I guarantee you there are many autistic postcrossers, who have as much right to do Postcrossing and are as welcome as anyone else, and saying someone might be autistic isn't an insult. I was simply suggesting one possible motivation someone might have for sending a certain type of card... a special interest in that topic.

And by the way, unless you personally know someone and they have disclosed their neuro(typical/divergent) status to you, it really isn't appropriate to state definitely that someone isn't autistic. You simply can't know for sure unless the person tells you.
haathi

Country Flag:
India

India
Postcrossing Username: haathi

[*] posted on 29-10-2019 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  
This thread has really taken an ableist turn. There's nothing wrong with being autistic, I guarantee you there are many autistic postcrossers, who have as much right to do Postcrossing and are as welcome as anyone else, and saying someone might be autistic isn't an insult. I was simply suggesting one possible motivation someone might have for sending a certain type of card... a special interest in that topic.

And by the way, unless you personally know someone and they have disclosed their neuro(typical/divergent) status to you, it really isn't appropriate to state definitely that someone isn't autistic. You simply can't know for sure unless the person tells you.

Why do you even have to suggest that someone could be autistic? If they have stated in their profile that they are autistic, you can go ahead and discuss that. It works both ways fire_maggie. We are not here to discuss people's conditions based on their sent walls. You might not have intended it to be funny or as an insult but there are others here who seem to think it is funny. If the postcard is disappointing, people can state that and leave it at that.
icensnow

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: icensnow

[*] posted on 29-10-2019 at 09:04 AM

People without autism can also have a special interest in a topic. Autism isn't a requirement for having interests.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 29-10-2019 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by icensnow  

People without autism can also have a special interest in a topic. Autism isn't a requirement for having interests.

Where did I say it *was* a requirement? No straw man arguments please. Autistic people are known for having intense interests, more so than neurotypical people. I never said that neurotypical people don't have interests.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 29-10-2019 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by haathi  

Why do you even have to suggest that someone could be autistic? If they have stated in their profile that they are autistic, you can go ahead and discuss that. It works both ways fire_maggie. We are not here to discuss people's conditions based on their sent walls. You might not have intended it to be funny or as an insult but there are others here who seem to think it is funny. If the postcard is disappointing, people can state that and leave it at that.

I see now it was a mistake to mention autism because of the ableism shown on this thread. Disabilities are frequently mentioned in the context of reasons someone might use a postcard printing service like touch note or type their messages, without these kinds of ableist responses and without being viewed as funny.
haathi

Country Flag:
India

India
Postcrossing Username: haathi

[*] posted on 29-10-2019 at 05:04 PM

And you are the authority here on deciding what are ableist responses, what is autism and how people should respond? Maybe consider wording your own responses correctly.

I see now it's a mistake to disagree with people on this thread.
icensnow

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: icensnow

[*] posted on 30-10-2019 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by icensnow  

Where did I say it *was* a requirement? No straw man arguments please. Autistic people are known for having intense interests, more so than neurotypical people. I never said that neurotypical people don't have interests.

I do realize autistic people can have intense interests. But neurotypical people are also capable of pursuing their interests with a high level of intensity. An intense interest doesn't automatically mean a person is autistic.
Bavaricus

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: browntrout

Mood: German by birth - Bavarian by God's Grace ;-)

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 07:10 AM

Dear friends,
don‘t you think we‘re a little bit off topic in this thread now?
PostcardPerfect

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ThePOSTCARDPerfect

Mood: 乂❤‿❤乂

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gait  
I know I know, you have to appreciate all cards you get. And I really do appreciate all cards that I get, really but today I really got a disappointing one and I'm not sure what to do. I have not registered it yet (I will soon)..

I got a very beautiful envelope toda and it made me curious what was inside. The id number was on the envelope but when I opened it there wer three postcards in it. First I thought: oh awesome. But... There is nothing written on any of them. I don't know which of them I will upload as card I received; as I did get all three of them, but at the same time I got three cards that are unwritten and all.

I'm just not sure what to think of it. I'm not quickly disappointed but this made makes me a bit sad. What should I write in the id message? I usually write something but I don't really feel up for writing anything because the sender also did not wirte anything at all.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence,but I received an enveloped with 6 nice postcards from Taiwan. One of the card have have nice message and 2 ID number which I registered both.
I'm just confused it the sender drew my name twice. Not complaining with the blank postcard as well bec they are all nice and I can use it for some "Not from your country" kind of RR in the future or just a give away on my FB group.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PostcardPerfect  

I don't know if it's just a coincidence,but I received an enveloped with 6 nice postcards from Taiwan. One of the card have have nice message and 2 ID number which I registered both.
I'm just confused it the sender drew my name twice. Not complaining with the blank postcard as well bec they are all nice and I can use it for some "Not from your country" kind of RR in the future or just a give away on my FB group.

I remember Paulo saying a long time ago that if someone clicked to send a postcard multiple times in a row opening each in a new tab, that they could get the same address multiple times. I would have thought that would have been fixed though because that was years ago. Was it definitely the same account both times, or could it have been one person with 2 accounts sending you a card from both accounts?
PostcardPerfect

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 11:33 PM

I remember Paulo saying a long time ago that if someone clicked to send a postcard multiple times in a row opening each in a new tab, that they could get the same address multiple times. I would have thought that would have been fixed though because that was years ago. Was it definitely the same account both times, or could it have been one person with 2 accounts sending you a card from both accounts?

Now that you mentioned it. I just checked the card and it was from two different account.
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/TW-2855802

https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/TW-2855781

and both accounts have been active since 2013.
here's the other cards

palawan.jpg - 133kB
PostcardPerfect

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 11:35 PM

Or it is also possible,maybe,they are couple and both of them are members.
StuartH

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: StuartH

[*] posted on 4-11-2019 at 01:21 PM

Now that you mentioned it. I just checked the card and it was from two different account.
https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/TW-2855802

https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/TW-2855781

and both accounts have been active since 2013.
here's the other cards

I had exactly the same from the same two users back in August this year. Different cards though, and they'd obviously been through my profile to choose them
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 12:35 PM

New story...
Today I got a nice card from Taiwan without anything written, OK I understand, maybe she doesn't know English very well.
Then I read her profile :
PLEASE DO NOT JUST ONLY WRITE "Thanks postcrossing.""Hello. Nice to meet you." You can write about your life, your country, where have you been or ask me some questions;-) Anything but not a simple sentence.

:puzzled: :shocked2: :freak: :duh: :lol:
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thubcabe  
New story...
Today I got a nice card from Taiwan without anything written, OK I understand, maybe she doesn't know English very well.
PLEASE DO NOT JUST ONLY WRITE "Thanks postcrossing.""Hello. Nice to meet you." You can write about your life, your country, where have you been or ask me some questions;-) Anything but not a simple sentence.

...maybe she forgot to write on the card, put it with all the other cards to send, and sent it by mistake...
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 07:11 PM

New story...

This is one reason I rarely read the profiles of people who send me cards that I find disappointing. Maybe I will try to find some sort of way this card or the stamp fits my profile, even if it is a big stretch.

If I then check the profile of such a sender and find out they send this same card to absolutely everyone then the card will disappoint me even more. And even worse, if I see that they send this same card to *almost* everyone, but every now and again they send cards that really fit my profile to a few people, but did not send one to me, then I would be really disappointed.

Usually I follow the "Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to" motto. So when I get a somewhat disappointing card I try to appreciate it for what it is and not go any further.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 07:47 PM

New story...

Not shocked or surprised by what people do anymore. On occasion I compare the really nice cards they send to others ( as depicted on their walls) with the absolute piece of crap they've sent me.:duh:
CaliSmiles

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: RuhRohRaggy

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  
New story...

This is one reason I rarely read the profiles of people who send me cards that I find disappointing. Maybe I will try to find some sort of way this card or the stamp fits my profile, even if it is a big stretch.

If I then check the profile of such a sender and find out they send this same card to absolutely everyone then the card will disappoint me even more. And even worse, if I see that they send this same card to *almost* everyone, but every now and again they send cards that really fit my profile to a few people, but did not send one to me, then I would be really disappointed.

Usually I follow the "Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to" motto. So when I get a somewhat disappointing card I try to appreciate it for what it is and not go any further.

I drew the address of such a postcrosser yesterday that has pages and pages of the exact card sent to everyone. But what made me further annoyed was the fact that their own profile was so picky, even stating, "don't send me trash"... well.... :rolleyes:
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 10-11-2019 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  
New story...

...maybe she forgot to write on the card, put it with all the other cards to send, and sent it by mistake...

No I don't think so... The address (written by hand) is on the left side (usual on the Asian cards) + some stickers below.
I like the card but I find it a little disappointing... :)
Moniette

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Moniette

[*] posted on 14-11-2019 at 07:25 AM

I received a similar card from russia recently - the motive on the front was more or less okay, but there were only stickers on the back - not a single word written. And the stickers weren't great also...

fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 08:00 PM

Got a card that was a piece of cardstock with 2 random stickers stuck on the otherwise blank picture side. I figure it fits the definition of homemade card so registered it thanking them but saying it would have been nice to get a real card showing some scenery of their country.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 06:17 PM

I agree with Piscean. Even if that card was from a shop I would be disappointed. I have never been a fan of black and white. We live in a colourful world. The receiver didn't hate the card - she put it on her wall.

I tell people if I am disappointed. I always thank them first for making the effort and sending me something. This is especially true if I receive a folded card. I accept it, register it, and thank them and then let them know it isn't a postcard and tell them to check for stores in their area or shop on line for postcards.

Quote: Originally posted by piscean  
To be absolutely honest, I don't think I would have been bowled over by a bleak photo including a dog waste bin in the foreground, no matter who took it. So sorry.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9

Go To Top

Imprint