Author: Subject: [IRAN] Iran Post related questions and comments
SHDY

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: SHDY

[*] posted on 22-11-2017 at 10:45 AM
[IRAN] Iran Post related questions and comments

Please use this thread to ask questions or make comments regarding Iran Post - their services, postal regulations, postage, delivery speed, mail tracking, postmarks, etc.

The Big Iranian Postage Confusion - How much is it really to send a postcard from Iran?

Dear Iranians and other postcrossers,

I got into a weird situation where I handed three postcards to an Therani friend, who offered to post them for me. She said I don't have to pay, because it costs almost nothing. I accepted.

One month later another friend told me she can't become a member of postcrossing.com (where Iran is rare), because after visiting the post office she was told that one simple postcard costs 80,000 Tomans (about $20). I was shocked.

I talked to my Tehrani friend and she said that she was quoted the price of a express card and that regular postcards are cheaper. I was relieved and asked how much and got a reply that left me speechless: "I payed about 80 [also: $20] for all three of them!". I was shocked. Obviously I would have never sent a postcard for that price and now feel uncomfortable of her wasting so much on three sheets of cardboard in envelopes. How can three postcards cost about 20$?

Some google foo lead me to some posts that said prices where upped 10x-20x a few years ago and my friend said the same. There's no difference in price if you sent a 10g card or a small 500 g box. That again sounded shocking. Based on my knowledge, this is the most expensive postcard postage that I ever heard about (I know, you guys know probably others?). @pashili says on her postcrossing profile: "It costs me less than USD 1 to send an international card from Moscow, while the same card from Tehran would cost USD 10-15. This is why there are so few Iranians on Postcrossing." Several other postcrossers write similar things on their profile. One mentions that he can't continue the activity anymore.

Did confused post workers just give them misleading information? Can that really be true? Now, going into different travel facebook groups I hear something else. A stamp is only supposed to be 3,000 (+9% tax) tomans, which is about $0.73. That's cheap and in the price range that I expected. I talked with a few travellers and they all confirmed that they had no trouble getting stamps for 3,000 tomans at multiple post offices arround the county and sending them to just about any country in the world. They showed me multiple pictures of the stamps and also cards that they sent home or to their friends. I also found other recent posts by people around the net that confirmed the same

Researching this further just made it all more confusing: The Iranian post website shows again different prices. Cheaper than what my Iranian friends quoted, but multiple times more expensive than what travellers I talked with payed. And also: No Iranian that I talked with had an answer or knew what was going on.

Now that I'm here with all you postcard experts I'm sure I'll get an answer. What's the deal? Is this the only thing that's actually cheaper for tourists there or is there just a big confusion in Iran?

1. Were Iranians effectively stopped from sending postcards, because the price is too high for them and does anyone know the exact reasons?
  2. If it's cheaper for tourists, can't Iranians just let some tourists or foreigners buy a bunch of stamps for them?

Thank you! :)
SHDY

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: SHDY

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 03:38 PM

Thanks @klaus3428, even the website of the postal service gives wrong information about the price.

I sent a friend to the post office, but they also quoted her the wrong price, too. Only after she came with a picture of a stamp that I found online they explained her how to send cards that way.

So, yeah. It's actually about 60p to send one card, but my friend somehow managed to pay about 16-17 quid for three. Maddening.

tl;dr: 30,000 RIALS (+ taxes) is the correct price.
TaiYang

Country Flag:
Singapore

Singapore
Postcrossing Username: TaiYang

[*] posted on 15-2-2018 at 10:20 AM

i can confirm i also received Iran card with a 30k rial stamp on it.

Go To Top

Imprint