Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Introduce yourself!
volvomom
Education Community moderator

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: volvomom

Mood: “Don't be afraid to be wrong because you can't learn anything from a compliment." Kanye

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 03:12 PM
Introduce yourself!

Hello all!

I thought it would be cool if we could introduce ourselves as educators here! I'll start!

My real name is Kristin, and I've been teaching for over seventeen years. I've taught English (both grammar and literature), Spanish, and French at the high school and middle school levels. I've been an instructor in both the public and private school settings. Right now I am a Spanish teacher in a middle school, but am looking to obtain certification for special education as well, as I have a number of special education students integrated into my classroom.

I truly enjoy my job. I will admit I've had a few tough years (who doesn't), but this year is one of the best! :)
alm74

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: AmberLeigh

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 01:42 AM

Hello! My name is Amber. I've been teaching for 9 years. I've taught Pre-k for 4 year olds, Kindergarten and now 1st grade. Ive loved them all but 1st is my favorite. I have an ESL classroom. Most of my ESL students are Hispanic (from Mexico) but I've also taught students from India, Burma/Myanmar, Pakistan and Vietnam. I've always taught in a public school.

One year while I was teaching Pre-k we actually did a postcard project. I asked fellow postcrossers to send my class postcards and my students "replied" by signing and sending a postcard in return; if they could write their own name that was good for 4 year olds!! We made a bulletin board display with the postcards.

This year I decided we would have penpals. Through a first grade Facebook page I found a teacher at an international school in Japan that was interested. My students have LOVED it! They have really enjoyed reading the letters. Even better, my students want to write! I hope to start some sort of postcard project too.

I'm with you Kristin...this year has been my best year yet. Last year was my worst! It almost did me in! Thank goodness for this year!
volvomom

Country Flag:
United States

United States

Mood: “Don't be afraid to be wrong because you can't learn anything from a compliment." Kanye

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 06:54 PM

You sound like a wonderful teacher, alm74! Thanks for sharing what you've done in the classroom with cards and letters! I actually do a penpal project with a middle school in Victoria, Texas. The kids love it!
Caramiga

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: Caramiga

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 05:17 PM

Hello,
I'm Françoise, teacher since 20 years. I worked in private schools with regional language occitan as language of life in the school.
I began with little children, 2-6 y.o., then since 9 years with teenagers in a middle school with 150 pupils.
This year, I'm in a new school with only 9 pupils (it's the beginning, next year they'll be 25). I began postcrossing with this new class, and they enjoy it.
volvomom

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 01:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Caramiga  
Hello,
I'm Françoise, teacher since 20 years. I worked in private schools with regional language occitan as language of life in the school.
I began with little children, 2-6 y.o., then since 9 years with teenagers in a middle school with 150 pupils.
This year, I'm in a new school with only 9 pupils (it's the beginning, next year they'll be 25). I began postcrossing with this new class, and they enjoy it.

Bonjour, Françoise! It's so nice to meet you! It must be nice to have a middle school with only 150 pupils. That seems to be a perfect size. I personally see 115 students a day! Our school at one point maxed out at 757 students! Yikes!

So happy to hear your kids love Postcrossing! Yea!
Teacherette

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Teacherette

Mood: Carpe Noctem V¨¨V

[*] posted on 17-4-2018 at 10:00 PM

Hi there,

I'm Manuela, a student teacher from Germany. I'm teaching English and maths to Middle School kids (i. e. from 10 to approx. 16 years old) at a school with about 1,500 pupils and 150 teachers. Being a student teacher means that I haven't finished my studies yet and I'm entering the second phase in two weeks (I finished my studies two years ago). And I really love my job, even though there are hard times.

I joined Postcrossing in August 2014 and I'm considering writing a thesis about the effects of Postcrossing in the EFL classroom.
volvomom

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 19-4-2018 at 01:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Teacherette  
Hi there,

I'm Manuela, a student teacher from Germany. I'm teaching English and maths to Middle School kids (i. e. from 10 to approx. 16 years old) at a school with about 1,500 pupils and 150 teachers. Being a student teacher means that I haven't finished my studies yet and I'm entering the second phase in two weeks (I finished my studies two years ago). And I really love my job, even though there are hard times.

I joined Postcrossing in August 2014 and I'm considering writing a thesis about the effects of Postcrossing in the EFL classroom.

I would LOVE to hear about your thesis on the effects of Postcrossing in the EFL classroom! By EFL do you mean English as a Foreign Language? That's what it would be in the US, but just want to clarify. If you'd like any data from over here, please let me know!

It's great to have a new, enthusiastic teacher like yourself! Welcome aboard!
tacobella

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: tacobella

[*] posted on 22-5-2018 at 10:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm Miri from Germany. I have been a teacher for six years already. I teach English, Geography, Geography in English and German as a foreign language at a German high school.
I'm currently doing my second pen pal project with Kristin (volvomom). As you can see things like that CAN actually work! Yes! We are both very enthusiastic about it!

I'm always open for geography projects for high school students (only from 14 year olds onwards). Let my know if you are interested!
volvomom

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 4-6-2018 at 05:06 AM

Hi, Tacobella!

So great to see you here! I heart you! I'm getting things ready for you again!

Postcrossing is the best!
RumDilly

Country Flag:
Japan

Japan
Postcrossing Username: RumDilly

[*] posted on 15-8-2018 at 02:26 PM

Hello,

My name is Ulrike, actually I am from Germany but right now I live in Japan where I teach English at a private language school. I have been teaching here for about 5 years and my students age ranges from 6 months to 60 years.

I would love from some of my students to try writing postcards, but I am not sure how to make it work best.
If you have any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.

1) The age of my students is from 6 - 10 years and their English Level and motivation varies.
Class size is one (private student) or up to 7 students.

2) Since we are a private language school students might quit...

Do you have any ideas, how I could incorporate postcrossing in my lessons?

Best wishes,
Uli
volvomom

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 20-8-2018 at 08:34 AM

Hi, Uli!

I teach Spanish to ages 11-14, and also do a Writer's Club to the same age group. I have all sorts of ideas! Right now I'm in the midst of getting my twins ready for college, but I'm more than happy to get in touch with you over the weekend. Would that work?

I've done both private letters/postcards and ones as a group. It's so cool! You'd be surprised what the students have for a reaction!

You must be a great teacher to think of this!
RumDilly

Country Flag:
Japan

Japan
Postcrossing Username: RumDilly

[*] posted on 20-8-2018 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by volvomom  
Hi, Uli!

I teach Spanish to ages 11-14, and also do a Writer's Club to the same age group. I have all sorts of ideas! Right now I'm in the midst of getting my twins ready for college, but I'm more than happy to get in touch with you over the weekend. Would that work?

I've done both private letters/postcards and ones as a group. It's so cool! You'd be surprised what the students have for a reaction!

You must be a great teacher to think of this!

Hello,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now my school is preparing for the new term/school year so I can earliest start mid september.

I would be grateful for any help :) I would like my students to have a great experience...

This weekend I will be traveling a little bit, but after that I should be free:D
Around the world Club 83

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: French_students

smile.gif posted on 13-9-2018 at 02:38 PM
French teacher looking for penpals all around the world

Hello everyone !

I am a middle school teacher in the south of France and I organize a club named "Around the world" for my students. They are between 10 and 13 years old.

Last year, we made a board game about countries of the world, like "Going for Gold".
This year, we would like to send and receive letters and cards from as much countries as possible ! We would write in English and French.

I would like the pupils to send postcards but maybe also create their own cards with photographs, drawings or paintings. Hope it's not a problem, dear potential penpals ^^.

Can't wait to send and receive your postcards and creations :-D
Pezimaniac

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Pezimaniac

Mood: Anticipating fun.

[*] posted on 17-2-2019 at 09:38 PM

Hello,

I am a mom that home schools my children. We are in a co-op that meets once a week in which I teach a class on world geography using Postcrossing. I have 10 students, ages 9-15.

Some of my students have their own accounts. Some of them use my account to get addresses for sending. I have a note in my profile that if someone gets my name and they want to send to a student directly, they can ask me for an address. I have had a few people do that. Most simply send to my address instead.

My students are enjoying choosing cards for people and looking at the cards that we all receive.

We have 2 blow-up globes that you can write on with a "wet erase" marker. On one, we are coloring the countries we send cards to, and on the other we are coloring the countries we receive cards from.

Nancy
volvomom

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 24-2-2019 at 02:06 PM

It's great to have you here, Pezimaniac! Let me know if you'd like a postcard from New England! :)

Go To Top

Imprint