Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: aloof_apricot

Mood: cheerful resignation

puzzled.gif posted on 25-7-2018 at 07:30 PM
Polish letters in an address

Hello!
I wanted to ask if it's possible to use Polish letters here on the forum, especially in the U2Us. My address changed recently and the name of the street contains a letter "│" (Wac│awa Lipi˝skiego). On the official site there's nothing wrong with it - but I just got a couple of postcards from the forum and the users can't see that letter at all, it looks like a tiny 3... I remember getting a confused message about that but I didn't know what it was about because when they copied the address in their message the name looked exactly like it should in my inbox :D The "˝" was also Spanish, not Polish - but that's a bit easier to overlook - it's a similar letter. Should I stop using Polish alphabet in private messages here?

37748183_2029958587048633_4760998331679768576_n.jpg - 10kB
Cleeoo

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Cleeoo

Mood: Every person is a new door to a different world.

[*] posted on 25-7-2018 at 08:13 PM

Hi :)
It depends on the language you have chosen in your user control panel. Usually it's in English. You can't see any polish letters if the language isn't polish, unfortunately.

Jak chcem po polsku pisać, to musze zmienić język na polski bo inaczej nie mogę czytać polskich literˇw. Dlatego nie będziesz mogła wysłać twojego polskiego adresa. Nawet nie widzę teraz czy to jest ń, to wygląda jak ˝ hiszpański. A ta trzecia litera jak trˇjka, czy to jest ł? To lepiej napisz "angielski" adres z l i n. Pozdrawiam! ;)
aloof_apricot

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland

[*] posted on 26-7-2018 at 08:11 AM

Hi, thank you for your answer Cleeoo! I assumed that was the case.. I find it a bit surprising though - the default language on my laptop is always Polish, but I can see other letters as well (like addresses of Chinese, Russian or Thai postcrossers). I didn't expect the Polish language to be 'unshowable' to others :D
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 26-7-2018 at 11:33 AM

It's not just Polish though - to read anything in Russian, I have to change the settings on the forum to Russian language. Otherwise it's just gibberish that doesn't even resemble Cryllic.
aloof_apricot

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland

[*] posted on 26-7-2018 at 05:36 PM

You're right, I just checked their community. So unusual letters just don't work here on the forum. I learned something new today - I didn't notice that things work different here than on the offcial site because my previous address didn't have any crazy letters in it (besides perhaps 'ˇ') :)
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 08:52 AM

If I remember right, someone said that if a person wrote in Russian here at the forum while having Russian set as their language, their message looks "gibberish" for members that don't have Russian set as their language. Gibberish = ßŔ╚Š˛ etc in this case.

I have a special letter in my address; ° (an 'o' with a line across it). Normally, other members see that letter correctly. But I've noticed that several members from Russia and sometimes other Eastern European countries doesn't see that letter correctly. I have English as my forum language, and I suspect that those who doesn't see the letter correctly have picked another language in their settings here at the forum.

Go To Top

Imprint