ABA-Donna

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: ABA-Donna

puzzled.gif posted on 22-8-2018 at 06:16 PM
Fate of my expired postcard

Hi!

I stopped to be an active user several years ago, mostly due to real life issues and stamp prices, however I still send a few postcards from time to time.

This year I requested just one address and, as you may have guessed already, the postcard from me is now on the 'expired' list. Postcard's travel time is over 100 days, the user has been last seen 3 months ago, and his sent to received ratio is 28:17, so my postcard clearly isn't alone.

I'd like to know if there's something I can do with it except sending him a message? I have a foggy memory of postcards being registered automatically after longer period of time, or perhaps a year back in the days when I was active, but I've never had many issues with expired postcards (usually users were active). After reading a few forum posts I guess that's not the case (anymore)? I know sometimes things just happen and people are not able to log in but since it happened to my one-and-only postcard sent this year, it's really disheartening.

I also have a small off-topic question:
Since I don't send a lot these days, it often goes along this scenario:
>I have equal amount of sent and received postcards
>I get one or two addresses
>My postcards are registered
>I get way more than one-two postcards and end up with 2-5 more received postcards than I've sent
>I have to send 2-5 postcards to make up for the difference knowing I won't receive a single postcard for this.

Is the only solution for this participating in private exchanges instead or there is something I could do to get only one postcard per postcard I've sent, for example setting my account as inactive as soon as I notice my postcard has been registered?

Thanks for the answers in advance!

Have a nice day! (:
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 23-8-2018 at 11:53 AM

No, expired cards don't get registered automatically. When a postcard has travelled for 60 days, it turns expired and allows you to send another card. After 365 days it gets deleted from the system. IF a member deletes the account, it will be registered automatically. And there might be certain special circumstances where the admins register a postcard when the receiver hasn't done so. But that happens only to a tiny percentage of cards.

You can either message the receiver and ask about the postcard, or you have to wait and see if it get registered. I don't send any message when my postcards expire. It's too bad when the postcards don't show up, but that's part of the "game".

Unfortunately, there's many of us that get several postcards back when sending 1 card. I wish I didn't get extra postcards like that. But people in rarer countries seem to get extra postcards because the system tries to maximise the country selection that the members get.
You can always check out the Tags, Trades, Notebooks, Round Robins and Pen-Pals part of the forum. Private swaps, tags and RR's are great ways of keeping a 1:1 sent:received ratio. (but of course, every now and then a postcard can get lost in the mail)

Go To Top

Imprint