Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Automatic card registration after 6 months of inactivity
MimiEsmeralda

Postcrossing Username: MimiEsmeralda

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 11:57 AM
Automatic card registration after 6 months of inactivity

Hey people!

Just a thought I have after having several cards expired to inactive people. Wouldn't it be an idea to automatically register travelling cards after the recipient is inactive for say 6 months?

When browsing this forum I see that one of the main annoyances is people going inactive after being due a card. So many topics on newbies with 5 sent and 0 received and some users really doubt whether to send a card or not. Wouldn't it be much easier if the cards are automatically registered after some time? Most of the inactive users never log on again, putting a threshold of 6 (arbitrary) months also makes sure the expired cards to active users are not automatically registered.

Another option is to add a number of cards to this system, say if more than 5 cards are travelling to a recipient that is offline for 6 months or so? To make sure it is not just one expired card, as we all know that happens.

Just curious what people think of this idea and also what the developpers think.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 07:53 PM

I agree. I was thinking the year mark, but 6 months would be nice. I think it's fair to have it auto-registered since we did our part and sent the card. It's quite a bummer that we have to lose out just because they are the ones who lost interest in the project.
MimiEsmeralda

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 08:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I think the danger with puting it at a year would be that some cards are expired for so long they get pushed out of the system. Users must be 'active' to have their address be giving out, so in theory my card could have been travelling to them for 13 months when they have been inactive for 12 according to the system. (Eventhough reality is often that they have already been offline for some weeks when I draw their address).

Having said that, the 6 months I suggested is arbitrary and it can be put anywhere between 3 and 11 months as far as I am concerned. I do think 3 months might be too little as some cards take a long time to arrive.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 30-9-2018 at 11:05 AM

Then suddenly YOUR number of received cards went up for the automatic registration of expired postcards you never received sent to you.....

How would you fix that?!

delenn_mir

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: delenn_mir

Mood: I see... sun!

[*] posted on 30-9-2018 at 11:12 AM

But the idea is to automatically register cards if someone is inactive (meaning doesn't log in) for 6 months, not just automatically register all expired cards to someone after 6 months.

If I send a bunch of cards, they are received and cards are sent back to me AND I am not logging in for half year and don't register those sent to me, I think it only fair to those users who sent the cards to me for the system to register them automatically.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 30-9-2018 at 11:48 AM

Oh. I see clearly now!

I don't know if it a good idea. It might give some weak souls the idea of silently make a selection of which addresses will be sent a card. And which not.

I prefer Postcrossing would act more acurate to complains about those inactive accounts.

If no reaction to Postcrossing's email warnings: suspent and or delete account. That is manual labour. Well, maybe that could be programmed so it goes automatic...

So I don't know which is best.
Automatic
Manuel
But the current situation should be updated.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 30-9-2018 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HMKM  
Then suddenly YOUR number of received cards went up for the automatic registration of expired postcards you never received sent to you.....

How would you fix that?!

I think Postcrossing must force-close the inactive account. I think any account that has been inactive for 10+ months (because cards expire after 2 months and drop into oblivion after 12 months) without being set to "inactive" should be closed by Postcrossing. The idea as I see it is something like this:

I draw the address of someone who has been inactive for 29 days. The user has 5 sent and 0 registered and is due a postcard. My card has now been traveling for 11 months. The Postcrosser has not been active in that time and still shows as 5 sent, 0 registered. I think Postcrossing should force-close this account and register any incoming cards. The user, if they are still interested, will have maybe some disappointment because yes, they will have to start over again. But I and others who have sent to this person will at least get some credit for my sent card.

I know it is "bad" for Postcrossing because now they have N-1 members (multiplied across all the inactive users), and they presumably generate income based on how many subscribers they have, whether or not they are active. But it is more fair, I think, to the senders who should get at least some credit for sending a card to someone who has dropped out.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 03:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  

and they presumably generate income based on how many subscribers they have, whether or not they are active.

This is not true.

The income we generate is from donations (a BIG THANK YOU to those wonderful supporters) and from users clicking on the adverts.

The amount of members we have does not generate any income for Postcrossing.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
MimiEsmeralda

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 01:50 PM

Oh. I see clearly now!

I don't know if it a good idea. It might give some weak souls the idea of silently make a selection of which addresses will be sent a card. And which not.

I prefer Postcrossing would act more acurate to complains about those inactive accounts.

If no reaction to Postcrossing's email warnings: suspent and or delete account. That is manual labour. Well, maybe that could be programmed so it goes automatic...

So I don't know which is best.
Automatic
Manuel
But the current situation should be updated.

I agree that the current situation should be updated. I reported inactive profiles, but got a disappointing reply (in short, postcrossing does not control when people log in or not and an e-mail has been sent). Really feel that it is a time pressure point that not more action is taken. However, that should not be an issue on our side.

So, while I agree with you, I don't really get the bold sentence in your quote. To me it seems that it would rather have the oppossite effect. There are quite some threads on this forum started by people who draw a profile that has been inactive for some weeks and they ask, what do I do, do I send a card? But I feel it will never be registered... While most that seek help on the forum will send a card in the end, how many users are not on the forum(the majority of postcrossers) and feel the same and just don't send a card because of the risk. When they know that their card will be registered automatically after some time of inactivity I think they will be more likely to send out a card.

MimiEsmeralda

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ColorfulCourtney  

I think Postcrossing must force-close the inactive account. I think any account that has been inactive for 10+ months (because cards expire after 2 months and drop into oblivion after 12 months) without being set to "inactive" should be closed by Postcrossing. The idea as I see it is something like this:

I draw the address of someone who has been inactive for 29 days. The user has 5 sent and 0 registered and is due a postcard. My card has now been traveling for 11 months. The Postcrosser has not been active in that time and still shows as 5 sent, 0 registered. I think Postcrossing should force-close this account and register any incoming cards. The user, if they are still interested, will have maybe some disappointment because yes, they will have to start over again. But I and others who have sent to this person will at least get some credit for my sent card.

I know it is "bad" for Postcrossing because now they have N-1 members (multiplied across all the inactive users), and they presumably generate income based on how many subscribers they have, whether or not they are active. But it is more fair, I think, to the senders who should get at least some credit for sending a card to someone who has dropped out.

I am not sure if I favour a situation where the account will be really deleted (if that is what you mean?), but I definitely think the account should appear closed to other members and it should be handled the same as if it were deleted from the users end. I do however think it might be stored on the server, so when somebody decides to log in, they can have their old profile back. On the other hand, if there would be plenty of warning that an account will be closed after a year of inactivity it should also be ok. Where do you draw the line? Storing inactive profiles on the server forever also makes no sense. I see logic in both things, if well communicated.

Your comment did make me think of another thing that I noticed though. Postcrossing keeps listing inactive members and to me it comes accross as a bit of false advertising. It is impossible to see how many users are really active (I know you can select it in the search results, but it is a hassle when you just want a quick country overview), instead you just see the number of people registered up to now (- the few that actually delete their account). This is especially visible in the rarer countries. To take Greenland as an example, because I lived there, it says there are currently 3 members in Greenland. If you then look at it they have logged in over 1, 3 and 4 years ago. So basically there are no active members in the country at this moment. Would be nice that profiles are taken off after being inactive for some time (a year perhaps?). Like above, their profile can be still available when they log in, but at least it doesn't appear to be there to the rest of us. I think the numbers on the site would look totally different and maybe it is not great advertising, but it would shed a more honest light on the project in my opinion.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MimiEsmeralda  
Your comment did make me think of another thing that I noticed though. Postcrossing keeps listing inactive members and to me it comes accross as a bit of false advertising. It is impossible to see how many users are really active (I know you can select it in the search results, but it is a hassle when you just want a quick country overview), instead you just see the number of people registered up to now (- the few that actually delete their account). This is especially visible in the rarer countries. To take Greenland as an example, because I lived there, it says there are currently 3 members in Greenland. If you then look at it they have logged in over 1, 3 and 4 years ago. So basically there are no active members in the country at this moment. Would be nice that profiles are taken off after being inactive for some time (a year perhaps?). Like above, their profile can be still available when they log in, but at least it doesn't appear to be there to the rest of us. I think the numbers on the site would look totally different and maybe it is not great advertising, but it would shed a more honest light on the project in my opinion.

I totally agree. I assumed that advertisers were the reason, but Mundoo has clarified that, so I really do not know what the advantage to Postcrossing is to keeping all of these inactive accounts around. I think even with the inactive users (I am talking basically a year of inactivity without setting the account to "inactive") taken out of the system, Postcrossing would still have hundreds of thousands of members and would definitely come across as a successful and active community.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 01:40 PM

:thumbup: +1 for auto-registering cards travelling to users who haven't logged in for 6+ months

:thumbup: +1 for "hiding" profiles from country stats etc. that haven't logged in for 1+ years. I'd prefer not to have them deleted though, it's still nice to see who the actual people behind the profile were if you look at older sent/received postcards.
Khannushka

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Khannushka

[*] posted on 24-10-2018 at 08:54 AM

Oh. I see clearly now!

I do support.

However, I can imagine a situation when a person leaves Postcrossing for a large period of time NOT because of irresponsibility. Moving to a country where postal services are too expensive (Denmark), to a place with Internet or postal service problems (such cases still exist in our world), God forbid military conflict, or health problems, or other needs and interests. I know several girls who decided to leave Postcrossing because they had children and it required a great amount of time... but in some years they might want to return.

I wouldn't like to see Postcrossing as obligation. And if I would like to give up (of course after registering all the cards received) I do want to have an ability to come back.

I would consider automatic postal messages in order to confirm whether a person has received the cards - of course in case of half-a-year inactiveness. The uploaded images of the cards also would help them to remember. If he or she clicks the button "No, I have not received", nothing happens. If a person clicks "Yes", the card gets registered. If the letter is ignored for several weeks, the account gets suspended and cards registered automatically.
Skelly6

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: Skelly6

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 09:18 AM

I drew an address. The user had sent 1, recieved 0. the user had been a member for approx 1 month. The user had not been seen for 3 weeks when i drew the address. I queried if there was something I could do and got short shrift! Sent the card. User still on sent 1 and recieved 0 and hasn't been seen in over a month ..

I have another where the user hasn't been seen in over a month and was at approx 10 days when i drew the address.

My son has 1 expire [not seen in over a month] and 2 others who haven't seen in over a month ... he's disapointed that he's stuck waiting whilst he, and I, are filling our obligation by sending.

I do not envy the PC team at all in trying to sort the users form the non-users - it must be a difficult task for them!
Skelly6

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: Skelly6

[*] posted on 28-10-2018 at 09:39 AM

just checked - one of my card has been travelling for only 16 days but the recipient hasn't been seen in over month ...

another travelling 9 days, recipient hasn't been seen in 24 days ...

its not a major problem, its a gamble posting cards out etc. and I'm perfectly happy to wait, its just frustrating!
Adil

Country Flag:
Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan
Postcrossing Username: kzswap

[*] posted on 30-11-2018 at 12:35 PM

Here is the example of abandoned fresh account. I think auto registration after 6 month should be used for such accounts as well. I've sent card to this user. Seems like this person decided not to participate in Postcrossing. It's obvious.
https://www.postcrossing.com/user/wanyu1229
Coconut7

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Coconut7

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 05:12 PM

It might give some weak souls the idea of silently make a selection of which addresses will be sent a card. And which not.

That would be mean, but: You cannot predict if the user you suspect to not register the card will be inactive in a while or not.

I tend to support the idea of the automatic registration because I do not think anyone is disadvantaged. The user who is inactive for six months won´t care about it. Abusing the system is hardly possible. Many users who have made bad experiences with these kind of expired cards will be happy about not having sent a card without any kind of feedback or consequence.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 13-12-2018 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Adil  
Here is the example of abandoned fresh account. I think auto registration after 6 month should be used for such accounts as well. I've sent card to this user. Seems like this person decided not to participate in Postcrossing. It's obvious.
[url]https://www.postcrossing.com/user/wanyu1229
[/url]

I agree, that is very frustrating. I also want to point out abandoned accounts for children, like this one who I sent a card to and has expired.
https://www.postcrossing.com/user/LadaEvminova
I think it is very fair to say that the kids either lose interest in the project and/or parents don't want to pay for the cost of postcards and stamps. When it is at such a low number like that and any user has been inactive, it is fair to assume that they won't be coming back.
balutkid

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: LoloBert

Mood: Ecstatic that you are sending me a postcard

[*] posted on 14-12-2018 at 02:38 PM

I am in total agreement, here are several cases.

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/alenka98 Currently 297 days

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/Daisy361/received currently 275 days, hasn't registered a card since September . I actually gave this one the benefit of the doubt and sent a follow up card. Still nothing.

https://www.postcrossing.com/user/Yagmurozdeniz Currently 266 days.

I know all three will fall into the great chasm of lost cards soon enough. But I do feel just a little cheated.

Boyana
formerly known as bmeschewski

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Boyana

[*] posted on 14-12-2018 at 04:06 PM

I support the auto registration of cards after 6 months of inactivity. Not to mention that in reality then probably receive more than what they send since their address get recycled after yet another card to them expires. (Like if they sent 5 cards they could receive up to 15 because they never register received cards).

Only problem them becomes that now you need a whole lot of new members to request drawing addresses and send cards to the active members who just got their expired cards registered. How do you solve for that. Maybe implement in phases - phase one, register all expired cards to inactive users that haven’t been online for 11+ months. This should be a relatively small number as by that point a lot of their unregistered cards will have been traveling more than 12 months.

Then when the algorithm normalizes, auto register any 10.5+ month inactive user and just work down to 6 or even 8 months mark.

Just a thought
loamparticle

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: loamparticle

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 03:09 AM

I agree that cards should be automatically registered after 6 months of inactivity. In fact, I'd suggest a shorter time frame like 3-4 months. It is hard enough as it is to accumulate sent cards with only a handful of slots to begin with. Sending cards and never having them count as sent because the recipient stops logging in just adds to the frustration and potentially results in more people quitting and thus the problem compounding itself.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2019 at 12:45 AM

I agree. I think 6 months is long enough that people won't try to abuse this feature by not actually sending cards when they draw an address.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 14-3-2019 at 07:05 PM

Someone once suggested a "graveyard" for expired cards. I think this would be great for the auto-registration, in case it would somehow mess up the balance of the system. I--and I think it might be safe to assume ithers may feel the same--do not care so much about whether or not I get a card in return, but would like SOME sort of credit for a sent postcard, especially if it is a unique card that I may never find again.

Telopea

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Telopea

[*] posted on 21-3-2019 at 10:22 PM

Hi everyone, I do hope Admin is reading this suggestions. It would be great if something could be done. Now I have so many expired cards it is not funny and lots of these members lost interest after a very short time. If I conservatively put a $ 3.00 on all the expired cards it is the amount of $ 138.00 that is just lost. Also I chose the cards with consideration and uploaded them. I agree, some of these cards are unique and can never be found again and no - I also don't need a card in return.
There must be a way these cards could just show up on our wall as expired or inactive receiver or something like that.
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 22-3-2019 at 07:51 AM

Devil's advocate here:

Scenario after this implementation:
Lazy/mean user: Adress in difficult country, 'suspicious' future recipient: 'Hmmh, do I want to 'waste' card/money/stamp?' *shrug* 'Ah, don't care, my cool card will show up in my gallery in six months anyway'

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint