Author: Subject: Automatic card registration after 6 months of inactivity
Telopea

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Telopea

[*] posted on 22-3-2019 at 08:24 AM

True, I agree with you but......
I don't think the criteria of difficult, slow country comes into play and we don't know if the member has just had a break if there are registered cards until we get the address. It is really the question of not being online for over 6 months or so and that comes out after a longer travel time. If I understand correctly, an address does not go into the pool if someone has not logged in for over 2 months. We are talking here about the people who are absent for much longer. And yes, there are always some - sadly - who play the system.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 23-3-2019 at 04:17 PM

The majority of my inactive users are those who log in for one day, I draw their address that day or after, and then they never log in again after that. These aren't "suspicious" countries, but they've gone to Germany, China, and the US where I have no trouble otherwise, it is just that they are the ones who decided they have no interest in this project after all.
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 24-3-2019 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stevyy  
Devil's advocate here:

Scenario after this implementation:
Lazy/mean user: Adress in difficult country, 'suspicious' future recipient: 'Hmmh, do I want to 'waste' card/money/stamp?' *shrug* 'Ah, don't care, my cool card will show up in my gallery in six months anyway'

No it doesnt show up "anyway", only if the recipient never logs in again. You don't know that before. And even if - for one "lazy/mean" user, you'll probably have hundreds of honest users who did their part and sent a card, and finally wouldn't get the disappointment of expired cards being deleted just because the recipient has decided to abandon postcrossing.

You can always find one bad user abusing any feature. That shouldn't be the reason not to make it better for everybody else.

Disappearing users are the #1 frustration of everybody here, I think. I really hope something could be done about this.
Telopea

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Telopea

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 10:38 PM

I agree with ninja 100%
I don't know if admin actually reads this page and does something about it. I met a local lady at one of our shops and she mentioned that she was a postcrosser until last year but is not interested any more. It is a lot of money for an expensive hobby and she mentioned that it frustrated her to have so many expired cards that just dropped off the system in the end.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 5-4-2019 at 02:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Telopea  
I don't know if admin actually reads this page and does something about it.

All the Admin do read this page.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-
Member Is Online

Mood: We need to keep hope alive and strive to do better. ☮ RIP Kofi Annan

[*] posted on 5-4-2019 at 06:51 AM

If I understand correctly, an address does not go into the pool if someone has not logged in for over 2 months.

As I know an address doesn't go into the pool if the user hasn't logged in more than 30 days.

Actually the last 3 weeks 3 of my long-on-the-way cards are registered by postcrossing after 209, 311 and 338 days and the accounts are closed.
So you see that the team is looking to those members who didn'd logged in for a long time and had a big difference between sent and received cards or never registered a card.

I don't know the exactly course of action, but mundoo or ana wrote some time ago in another thread that they try to contact the members several times and an account can be suspended or closed by postcrossing after a reasonable time.

But: They can look into every account - so if there are problems you can contact the support for looking to a profile.
Because it took time to contact inactive members, do that not 2 days before the year is gone ;)
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 5-4-2019 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by -Bille-  
But: They can look into every account - so if there are problems you can contact the support for looking to a profile.

Doesn't help. I tried it recently for two long expired postcards - one to a user with almost 30 sent and received cards who hasn't logged in since last May, the other one to a user with 4 sent and 0 registered cards, who hasn't logged in for over 7 months now. First card has passed the year and was deleted from the system in the meantime, second one is at 330 days.

The answer was "Postcrossing has emailed those members reminding them about the postcards they should have received. After a short time of no response their accounts were marked inactive and their addresses were not given out." and "there is nothing further we can do."
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 14-4-2019 at 05:39 PM

I met a local lady at one of our shops and she mentioned that she was a postcrosser until last year but is not interested any more. It is a lot of money for an expensive hobby and she mentioned that it frustrated her to have so many expired cards that just dropped off the system in the end.

This makes me wonder how many users from "rare" countries that we lose. If I lived in a country where postage was considerably high, it might take a lot more of my money to do this project in the first place. It would be annoying enough to have a card expire to an active user, but to have multiple cards expire to users who simply chose not to log again and nothing is done about it would probably make me want to quit the project too.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint