Author: Subject: Return the previous version of the Postcrossing site
Khannushka

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Khannushka

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 06:25 AM
Return the previous version of the Postcrossing site

Please return the previous version of the site.
The current version is terrible.
The great distance between the cards together with the small images...
The previous version looked much more harmonious.

Moreover, now it's impossible to see the wall of sent postcards and my favorites' list. I also have problems in watching the map.

That's how my profile looks like now. At least impolite to cut my face in such way, isn't it?

ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 08:18 AM

Looks like something is broken in the layout there on your browser. I don't think this is intentional. I'm sure Paulo is already on it!

Apart from that, it looks like a nice new layout to me!

Edit: Maybe you're running an ad blocker which is interfering with the new layout?

Also Distance sent is missing from the new layout..

Edit 2: I found distance sent (and received), it's just a bit less visible.. on hovering the mouse on the number of cards sent and received :)
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Khannushka  

That's how my profile looks like now. At least impolite to cut my face in such way, isn't it?

That is certainly not how it is meant to be displayed — something is not quite right. We tested with all major browsers and detected no issues, but it is impossible for us to test all edge cases.

Can you tell me with which browser and OS are you having this?

Also, if you have a ad blocker installed (or any other addon/extension that manipulates the page on your side), can you try temporarily disable it to see if that's what is causing it? I'm attaching a sample profile so you can see how it is meant to look.

Screenshot 2018-11-29 at 08.56.35.jpg - 105kB
Khannushka

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  

Can you tell me with which browser and OS are you having this?

Also, if you have a ad blocker installed (or any other addon/extension that manipulates the page on your side), can you try temporarily disable it to see if that's what is causing it? I'm attaching a sample profile so you can see how it is meant to look.

It's Mozilla Firefox, Windows 10.

PS: You were right - that's the ad blocker. Every time I turn it off everything is visible, but after I turn it on again everything starts looking terrible.

Nevertheless, I still dislike the large gaps between the cards on the wall. And the information with sent and recieved cards through the years was important and useful for me.

Why do we need such broad columns in the tables? The card IDs, country names and dates don't need so much place.
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 06:27 PM

It's Mozilla Firefox, Windows 10.

PS: You were right - that's the ad blocker. Every time I turn it off everything is visible, but after I turn it on again everything starts looking terrible.

It does seem that it is your ad blocker that is doing something odd to the page. I tried today with 3 different ad blockers for Firefox and the layout worked correctly — the ad area just got blank. If you can't whitelist Postcrossing, maybe try a different ad blocker?

Nevertheless, I still dislike the large gaps between the cards on the wall. And the information with sent and recieved cards through the years was important and useful for me.

We will try to include the number of postcards per year in the stats page when we update it.

Regarding the spacing of postcards on the wall it is exactly the same as before? The only difference is that now we are able to display one more column of postcards since there's more page width available.

Why do we need such broad columns in the tables? The card IDs, country names and dates don't need so much place.

The tables of sent/received postcards need the space to be able to fit all the possible columns (you can select which ones you see using the "show/hide columns"). If one selects to show all columns, and takes into account that country names can be as long as "Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha", then having the full width of the page is useful.
Khannushka

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia

[*] posted on 29-11-2018 at 07:30 PM

Quote:

It does seem that it is your ad blocker that is doing something odd to the page. I tried today with 3 different ad blockers for Firefox and the layout worked correctly — the ad area just got blank. If you can't whitelist Postcrossing, maybe try a different ad blocker?

It's right. Easier to whitelist, really.

Quote:

We will try to include the number of postcards per year in the stats page when we update it.

I do hope for this. The old mode was really convenient.

Quote:

Regarding the spacing of postcards on the wall it is exactly the same as before? The only difference is that now we are able to display one more column of postcards since there's more page width available.

Surprised to know it... perhaps it's a kind of optical illusion if the gaps are the same. But when the card wall was vertically oriented, with less cards in a row, there seemed to be more order. (Of course my point of view is subjective, but that is that).

Thank you Paulo! I do hope for improvements of the site which will make it look more convenient, like the previous version.
Narsku

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Narsku

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 11:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  

Thank you! The year-by-year list on my page was my absolute favourite thing about the old layouts, it was just so nice to look at, and told so much about my Postcrossing history. If we can't have that back, a yearly stat would at least be a consolation.
tigerqueen

Country Flag:
Chile

Chile
Postcrossing Username: tigerqueen

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 01:43 AM

I hope you got the issue fixed. I personally LOVE the new website! I think it's gorgeous and easy to read. Hopefully you will love it too eventually! :D

Go To Top

Imprint