balutkid

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: LoloBert

Mood: Ecstatic that you are sending me a postcard

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 12:37 PM
inquiring about expired cards

First of all, I am guilty as I write this. I too have sent messages asking if a lost card might have gotten lost in a pile of mail. Usually, this message goes out to a postcrosser who seems to not register card frequently. So, yes, I'm guilty.

And maybe I woke up feeling particularly prickly, but this email this morning really has gotten under my skin.

"“Hallo dear Rob, here is once more (redacted) out Dresden and I wish you to ask have you my postcard from 12.11.18 (71 days) real not receive or have you forget to register the postcard (redacted)? I have send my postcard to you in one envelope. Is your address correct:( Redacted)? Please excuse me the I ask this once more. Please answer me. Many thanks. Greetings (redacted) out Dresden in Germany”

When I went to Redacted's profile page I noticed that she lists her expired cards with the names of the profile, in my case LoloBert. I think that is just a little over the top.

OK. I've vented. Now I need a cup of coffee, or two, or three. And then the world will be much better.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 12:44 PM

Are you mad about this person inquiring about their card (which I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about, if done politely), or about them posting your username on their profile? The latter is discouraged by postcrossing ( https://www.postcrossing.com/help/why-do-some-members-have-a-list-of... ), but that, as always, means nothing - you can do it, it's not forbidden. Though I agree these lists of expired cards are a habit I would love to see die out.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 12:45 PM

I think it's ok to send a message and ask politely if a postcard has arrived.

I've seen some profiles listing whom they have expired postcards to. But I can't understand why? How can that list be helpful? Is the receiver of the card likely to see it and get a reminder to register the card? (No, after all we don't know who sends us an official!) Is it interesting to read for others? (No)

Edited to add: If it bothers you that the person has that expired list in their profile, with your name on it, you can always answer them and ask them to remove the list. Maybe include the link that siobhan gave you as well..
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 01:10 PM

Someone recently sent me a message inquiring about their card to me, giving me its number - it had only been travelling for 30 days, which is not long at all. It was waiting in my PO box the next time I emptied it.

I used to message people about lost cards but haven't bothered for a couple of years - it's mostly not worth the effort.
TomoyoHime

Country Flag:
Ireland

Ireland
Postcrossing Username: LadyTomoyo

Mood: Where is that mailman!

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 01:19 PM

I think he is not happy about the fact that she asks again. Reading her message it sounds like it isn't the first time she asked about it.

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
Are you mad about this person inquiring about their card (which I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about, if done politely), or about them posting your username on their profile?

I used to have a list on my profile of expired cards, with the usernames of the people. I then read a comment that it (usually) isn't the fault of the receiver that a card doesn't get registered, and that it sounds like you blame them when you make a list like that. I could see reason there... I deleted the whole thing.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 22-1-2019 at 06:22 PM

I have opened a topic in the past:
'My name is in someone's userprofile on expired postcard list. Shall I register it?'

In the end Postcrossing made a guideline Siobhan refers to.
To avoid your name on a name and shame list do complain to the team. They have more authority then you have.
For Europe is a new privacy law, Postcrossing is based in Europe.

I'm with you. Expired postcard lists are in your Travelling list as well. Not any need to show in userprofile.

Let's get serieus. Ban the expired postcard name lists.
humanityera

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: humanityera

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 06:36 AM

I think its ok for someone to privately message you. Twice I was asked if an expired card ever reached, and once someone forgot to ad the ID number so they sent me the number along with a description of what the card looks like, so that I can register it when it arrives. And I think this is ok too to say in your profile, "I got a card with a red rose on it from USA, if you can tell me the number to register it" because sometimes the person forgets the number and the system cant find it so they hope the sender sees it that way. But listing expired cards, that is just stupid. Its part of the "game" that some cards will reach quickly, some will be cards to nowhere due to some countries having super slow post, some will be registed after expiry, some will arrive late, and some will be lost in the abyss
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 02:54 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to remember that when I joined back in 2010, there was a list of prompts about what I could write in my profile, and one of the prompts was "expired cards." I just checked, and of course, the information about setting up a profile has been up-dated, and there is no prompt like that now. If I'm remembering correctly, could that be where "old" Postcrossers first got the idea of listing expired postcards? And now, new Postcrossers are mimicking what they see on some profiles?
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 03:31 PM

I cannot remember anything like that from when I joined in 2008, but it was a long time ago. I'd find it weird if that had been a suggestion - listing expired cards was just as much of no use then as it is now. Also when you're new and setting up a profile, you wouldn't have expired cards yet to begin with.
But I'm sure new postcrossers are copying what they see on others' profiles, it's just what people do.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
when I joined back in 2010, there was a list of prompts about what I could write in my profile, and one of the prompts was "expired cards."

I can't remember this, but when I joined in 2009, I did list expired cards on my profile because everyone (so it seemed) did it. It seemed to be the "done thing".

I stopped doing that and changed it to a list of number of expired cards per country (which I just like to know because statistics :) and I'm not organized enough to keep this list anywhere else) when I received a message from the recipient of this card which said something like "I didn't receive this, but my mom saw it in the list on your profile and told me, so now I register it anyway".

I personally really hate when people send me messages asking about an expired card they sent me. I always register everything that I receive and finally had to write that on my profile. I still get the occasional really annoying message about "have you received this bla bla".
lydacher

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
"I personally really hate when people send me messages asking about an expired card they sent me. I always register everything that I receive and finally had to write that on my profile. I still get the occasional really annoying message about "have you received this bla bla".

When I get a messages like that, I write back and ask them to describe the postcard's image and tell me the date they sent the card. That's usually the last I hear from them. Sometimes, I learn that their postcard has only been traveling for a week or two, so I respond with "Let's wait a bit longer." I guess my point is that I expect senders to track their postcards carefully before asking me to do them a favor.
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 06:37 PM

I have never listed expired cards, but since October 2018, I have had quite a few cards go missing or getting registered late. It's easy to see in some of those cases that the Postcrosser does not seem to realize they are suppose to register the cards upon receipt...Instead, they register the cards once a month in 'batches', which drives me crazy! After all, I sent the card a.s.a.p. like I'm suppose to do, they can at least have the courtesy of registering it in a timely fashion.

They don't seem to understand that while withholding the registration, sometimes they cause the card to become expired. When I see a batch registerer, I don't hesitate to email them and remind them about their commitment to register the cards when they get them and not when they feel like registering them. This has proven fruitful for me and some cards are getting registered.

BTW, some of them are new users and don't seem to realize it is important to register the card when they get them. A kind email to remind them and a little encouragement on how much fun Postcrossing is, I think also helps them to decide to stick with the project when perhaps they were thinking of quitting and not coming back. It seems to work for me and I'll keep on doing it until I'm told not to.:lol:
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 03:01 PM

Hey Rob - that is a real bummer. I have never been a fan of shaming people publicly. Whether it involves expired cards or individuals who are thieves regarding private swaps.

In the case of the former, what purpose does it serve? Zip! None! Oh wait..it does one thing; it aggravates people. You have no reason to feel guilty. None whatsoever.:)
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 09:48 PM

I just sent a card to a person whose profile consists mainly of a list of 59 expired cards, (user name and country, no number, no "date sent"). My message was equally interesting.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 30-1-2019 at 02:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
Correct me if I'm wrong. I seem to remember that when I joined back in 2010, there was a list of prompts about what I could write in my profile, and one of the prompts was "expired cards.”

That has never been suggested by Postcrossing.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
Alex_

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: AlexUnderscore

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 09:38 AM

I have one card that's been travelling for almost a month now, and it's a Postcrosser in Europe so it shouldn't take that long. Looking at their received list, it's clear they register in batches - they registered a few at the beginning of December, and before that a load at the end of October, and before that some in September, and so on.

I'm almost certain the postcard has arrived by now, and they're just holding on to it to register whenever they feel like. Should I say something? Some of the posts in this thread have said that it's rude and annoying, but is it different if the recipient clearly isn't registering upon receipt?

Even if I did, I wouldn't know what to say. I was thinking I should be a bit disingenuous and pretend I don't know what's going on by saying, "My postcard to you has been travelling for a month now. Has it really not arrived yet? I can send another one if so", because I imagine that'll get a better response than leading with something more confrontational like, "I know you're holding on to my postcard, please register it, may I remind you of the community guidelines, etc".

But I don't know. Perhaps I should just wait. Presumably they'll register it eventually, right? I'm just impatient to free up that slot. :D
lydacher

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 01:36 PM

Alex, you wrote: "Even if I did, I wouldn't know what to say. I was thinking I should be a bit disingenuous and pretend I don't know what's going on by saying, "My postcard to you has been travelling for a month now. Has it really not arrived yet? I can send another one if so", because I imagine that'll get a better response than leading with something more confrontational like, "I know you're holding on to my postcard, please register it, may I remind you of the community guidelines, etc".
But I don't know. Perhaps I should just wait. Presumably they'll register it eventually, right? I'm just impatient to free up that slot. :D[/ rquote]

Alex, I think it's okay to write and politely ask if the postcard has gone astray, but I wouldn't do it after only 1 month of traveling, no matter what the average traveling time is to that country. I would wait until the postcard is within a few days of expiring and then write something like, "A postcard that I sent to you on (give the date) is about to expire, and I'm hoping it wasn't lost in the mail." It may be best to not give the card's ID# in your message (because that puts more pressure on the recipient), but to wait for the recipient to respond.
I know it's hard to wait, especially when we're new to Postcrossing, but participating in Postcrossing teaches us to be patient and also, to accept that a certain number of our sent cards (mine is 4-5%) are just going to expire, no matter what we do.
Alex_

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: AlexUnderscore

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 01:56 PM

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I'll give it more time. Patience is a virtue, but it's also very difficult :P

Thank you! :)
Gealach24

Country Flag:
Sweden

Sweden
Postcrossing Username: KarroS

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 03:03 PM

I send a message when the card expires. I know it's easy to forget to register a card, expecially if you receive several at the same time.

On one occasion I received seven or eight cards, read them all and then sat down to register. Half an hour later I remembered seeing a card from a not so common country, but I didn't remember registering it. I looked through the cards again and there it was. If I hadn't suddenly remembered the card, I would have appreciated a reminder from the sender.

vjr123

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: vjr123

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 03:37 PM

I recently had a card that randomly took 63 days to get to Germany - when the recipient registered it, she said she couldn't believe how long it had taken to arrive, so I know she had just got it. Around the same time my boyfriend sent a birthday card to a relative in Germany and it also took a couple of months to get there! Not sure what is going on but sometimes it does just take longer than normal. So I wouldn't assume cards have arrived and probably wouldn't send any message before a card expires.
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vjr123  
I recently had a card that randomly took 63 days to get to Germany - when the recipient registered it, she said she couldn't believe how long it had taken to arrive, so I know she had just got it. Around the same time my boyfriend sent a birthday card to a relative in Germany and it also took a couple of months to get there! Not sure what is going on but sometimes it does just take longer than normal. So I wouldn't assume cards have arrived and probably wouldn't send any message before a card expires.

Did you use stamps of Universal Mail instead of Royal Mail? See https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=112924
Or didn't you pay postage for air mail?
vjr123

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 10:07 PM

No, definitely not universal mail and paid normal international air mail price - just a blip going to Germany recently that's all. All my other cards to Germany with same stamps have been travelling 3 to 4 days as usual.
vjr123

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 1-2-2019 at 10:07 PM

No, definitely not universal mail and paid normal international air mail price - just a blip going to Germany recently that's all. All my other cards to Germany with same stamps have been travelling 3 to 4 days as usual.
humanityera

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: humanityera

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 06:07 AM

I had a card reach Germany after 51 days, and normally Germany only takes 8-10 days. Lately everything I have been sending to Germany has been either much slower or going missing.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 2-2-2019 at 08:14 AM

Seems to me too that Germany has been a little slower than usual. I have two slow ones travelling there now, both to active user, one is at 29 days and the other at 18. Median travel time to Germany for me is 6 days.

By the way, two days ago I got a message asking about an expired card again and I got so annoyed haha :lol: Extra irritated because this thread was so recent too... But I realize most postcrossers aren't on the forum. This particular message wasn't "did you receive my card such & so", it was "I sent a card that has expired. I have sent another if you would be on the lookout for it." - which I also found very - very - annoying. I read that to mean "don't mess up receiving this card too", which may just be me, but still.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint