Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The 'pain' of expired postcards!
blue_butterfly

Postcrossing Username: Blue_butterfly

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 04:38 AM
The 'pain' of expired postcards!

I'm still quite new to Postcrossing, having joined last summer. I adore it. I've just had my third expired card and they always make me so sad!! I realise it's all part of the game, but I always wonder did the postal service lose it? Is it sat in the person's house? Did they forget to register it, or just lose interest and they don't care?

It gets to me so much I think because I invest so much of myself in the postcard, I try to pick the nicest card to match the person's profile, write a positive message, obviously the cost of the card and postage is a factor, it's not always a cheap hobby!

Obviously I have no control over expired cards! How do I successfully resign myself to this?:D

klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: klaus3428

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 09:15 AM

Agree it can be disappointing when cards go missing.
Maybe think about it differently? For every missing sent card how many cards did you actually receive? In my case a quick estimate comes to about 40 to 1. Doesn't look that bad.
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 12:38 PM

Expired does not mean lost. Some of my sent cards took more than 100 days to be registered, simply for the postal service is very slow (Russia, China, Mexico, Brazil ...) and the destination is very remote and/or the addressee works/studies elsewhere (China) or is in hospital for a long time when your card arrives.
zeroday

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: zeroday

Mood: Postcards make me happy...

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 02:16 PM

I don’t worry about the 5% of expired cards...what continues to amaze me is the 95% of cards arrive to the most distant parts of the world...
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 03:42 PM

Over time you just get used to it I guess. :)

I have two that will expire in a few days, one to the Netherlands and one to Finland. Extra sad because both are to active users in countries where most cards generally arrive! I think these are genuinely lost somewhere in the postal system...

Some people feel that it helps to "complain" in the Stuck travelling thread, magically cards get registered. :lol: https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=24834 Worth a try if you feel like it.
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 03:48 PM

Like others have said before me...There is no way to escape an expired postcard, it happens and sometimes more times than others, but for the most part the postcards you took the time to select and write, arrive to a happy recipient. The solution to your worries is, you have to become a Postcrosser optimist and don't let those expired cards get you down. You did your part.:)
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sfander  
The solution to your worries is, you have to become a Postcrosser optimist and don't let those expired cards get you down. You did your part.:)

I support this 100 %. :)
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by zeroday  
I don’t worry about the 5% of expired cards...what continues to amaze me is the 95% of cards arrive to the most distant parts of the world...

... like the USA for example. ;) A card of mine to the USA was registered right now after 87 days.
Khannushka

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Khannushka

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 05:52 PM

The Postcrossing FAQ advises to contact the recipients in private messages. You can ask whether they received your card after it gets expired. I personally suppose that 60 days is enough to receive a card unless there are some serious postal problems. Have a look at the user's stats - perhaps the post in his or her country requires more time to be delievered.

It's always reasonable to upload the card image before sending - the messages like "have you received my card I sent (on that date)" are much less informative, while the description of the image would help to remember it.

Sometimes the recipients don't know English well, so it would be better to send them a message in their native language. I usually use Google Translate for users from some Asian countries - of course it's not perfect but it helps.

If the recipient replies the card didn't arrive, it would be proper to resend it. Today one of my replacement cards got registered, and I do feel joy about this :)

For active users I resend without asking (but two times I regretted about it - but these were only two times).

There is one more way to get the card registered. When the user says he/she didn't receive my second card too (or I suspect cheating), I use registered mail so the card can be traced through the Internet. After the card gets received it's usually registered... or I wait for two more weeks and complain the admins - two times the users' profiles were blocked because of this in several months' time, and the cards got registered automatically. But of course it's a very expensive way, I use it only when I'm very angry :flaming:
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Khannushka  
I use registered mail so the card can be traced through the Internet.

Sending a card with registered mail is tempting sometimes. But honestly, it's way too expencive to send a postcard this way, so I'll never do it! It costs 205 NOK (20,99€/23,79 US$) to send 1 postcard outside Norway as registered mail!
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 24-2-2019 at 03:46 AM

Like most folks here, I find that when postcards hit the expired status, I am disappointed. Yes, disappointed...but not bent out of shape :duh: That being so, I have never followed up on such a card. One it hits the mailbox, I have done my part. It is just a piece of paper..

But as others have pointed out, there are some countries where postcards go to die. A very long time ago, I decided to request addresses between 10:00AM-12:00PM in the morning. I noticed that about 90% of the addresses I got back each time were European :spin: Maybe one or two from Russia or China. Thus, the chances of my cards getting registered increase a bit. Not a perfect system, but it works for me.

IndigoAngel

Postcrossing Username: IndigoAngel

Mood: :love: always . . . . . . . an angel :love:

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 01:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainSoul  
Like most folks here, I find that when postcards hit the expired status, I am disappointed. Yes, disappointed...but not bent out of shape :duh: That being so, I have never followed up on such a card. One it hits the mailbox, I have done my part. It is just a piece of paper..

But as others have pointed out, there are some countries where postcards go to die. A very long time ago, I decided to request addresses between 10:00AM-12:00PM in the morning. I noticed that about 90% of the addresses I got back each time were European :spin: Maybe one or two from Russia or China. Thus, the chances of my cards getting registered increase a bit. Not a perfect system, but it works for me.

i'd like to think i've done my bit too when i have written my card and posted it, but at the other end not everyone thinks they have a responsibility to register the cards they receive - whether register in a timely manner, or register at all

i guess over half of my currently expired cards are going to ghostcrossers - i could check to be sure - but i have better things to do with my time than to chase cards - to write messages to people who do not reply either...

recently i've had expired ards travel to countries or us states where people are no longer living - oh yeah they say, i was studying and now i am home

and as for time of day, that seems to make no difference to my addresses - basically for me if a card is registered, or expires, to china, russia, taiwan, usa - the next address will certainly be to that country - it looks like i can have 7-9 'current' travellers to a country

for instance right now i have 24 cards traveling to russia - 15 are expired, the other 9 are at 15-41 days travelling

the expired cards to ghostcrossers is an ongoing discussion here and we are yet to arrive at a solution but it is really out of hand i think - sure there can be a number of life issues - illness, holidays, internet access - but this accounts for a very small % of my expired cards - most just do not register quickly if they are online (you can see months of no received cards and then a big number 'arrive') or they are just not seen for months and months

for the new members - the more cards you send/are registered, the more you'll be able to send - i've been here are long time and i can have up to 100 cards at a time (under 60 days travelling/not expired) - i usually have all slots filled

my february stats just arrived - apparently i sent 81 cards in february - yet my book says sent 93 - that difference is newly expired ones

happy days

;)
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 03:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by IndigoAngel  

the expired cards to ghostcrossers is an ongoing discussion here and we are yet to arrive at a solution but it is really out of hand i think - sure there can be a number of life issues - illness, holidays, internet access - but this accounts for a very small % of my expired cards - most just do not register quickly if they are online (you can see months of no received cards and then a big number 'arrive') or they are just not seen for months and months

Months of no received and then a big number arrive is probably because they had their account on inactive and then reactivated it. If they had a big number of expired travelling to them because of just not registering, admins would probably take action.

Go To Top

Imprint