Author: Subject: Updating Community Guidelines
moonlightlaura

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: moonlightlaura

[*] posted on 31-3-2019 at 05:47 PM
Updating Community Guidelines

I have been having issues with people sending FOLDED NOTECARDS instead of POSTCARDS. I had also received a LETTER with the Postcard ID written on it instead of receiving a postcard. I have reported these issues, and nothing has been updated on the Community Guidelines about any of this. If this site is to send postcards, the Community Guidelines need to state POSTCARDS ONLY, NO LETTERS OR FOLDED NOTECARDS. Because of this, I have added a note on my profile to please send me postcards only, not folded notecards or letters, and since I did that, there was a notice saying I am demanding certain cards to be sent, which I am not. I only want to receive POSTCARDS. Please update this in the Community Guidelines. I am not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but it is a big problem for me. I do not collect letters or folded notecards; I only collect postcards. It would be a big help if the Community Guidelines stated the above. I appreciate you reading this. Thanks!
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

[*] posted on 31-3-2019 at 06:56 PM

"Always send a postcard to each address you request from Postcrossing. There are no exceptions to this."
(Community Guidelines)

Pretty clear to me. I think the problem is rather that some people who participate in postcrossing don't speak English very well so there are bound to be misunderstandings.
Tell those people or report them so that they don't repeat the same mistake, and wait for the next card. Shit happens. You don't have to register letters and folded cards. :)
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 02:12 AM

@moonlightlaura and Feuerstuhl: This has happened to me more than several times and each time I registered the folded cards and sent a Hurray message thanking for the card and as best I could, explained that a folded card was not a postcard.

The last time this happened to me, the envelope the card came in had a return address... So, I sent a very nice postcard to them, showing them what a postcard looked like and explained this is what was expected on Postcrossing. I still am waiting for a reply or even a thank you. I won't hold my breath. I find it hard to believe in this day and age with the internet and all it has to offer, that people do not know the difference between a postcard and a greeting/folded card. All you have to do is key in 'postcard' and there isn't a folded card in the lot to be seen.

As for updating the Community Guidelines:
I recently received an email asking about a postcard that was taking more than 30 days to arrive. The sender was rather new at Postcrossing and for this reason alone, I replied to her email explaining that sometimes the mail takes a long time for no explanation at all and she shouldn't worry about cards and just sit back and enjoy. She was very thoughtful and was thinking on sending a second card. I told her my experiences when I was new and that I had stopped sending a second card because it gets too expensive and cards do go missing....etc. I also recommended she look up the community guidelines to help her understand about cards that take a long time.

To make a long story short...She emailed me back and told me that the Community guidelines, F.A.Q. in 'My Postcard should have already been received section' and it stated that..." If 30 days have passed since the date in which you've mailed your card, we advise you to contact the recipient through private message and ask whether the postcard has arrived (the ID might be blurred, illegible, etc.). ". I had never seen this before, not in those words and I have read the Guidelines often, but never read that it was 'advised' to email the recipient about missing card before...So, the sender was just doing what was advised for her to do.

This explained a lot to me because I have been getting more and more emails about missing postcards. Perhaps Postcrossing could reword that a little or make it sound less a 'must do task'. The sender just felt she was doing what she was suppose to do. This could get out of hand quick if the wording isn't changed soon.

Sorry to have gone on so long, but I needed to explain.:)
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 02:54 AM

I am also very curious about some of the terms mentioned in the Guidelines. For instance, what is considered a regular sign in time to stay active with Postcrossing?... Is it once a week, once a month or 3 times a year to remain an active member whether or not you are just checking in, or just sending or registering received cards?
How often are you expected to sign in regularly to remain a part of the Postcrossing community and if so, what exactly is that time frame to still consider yourself a member of Postcrossing? I am confused by the lack of any sense of commitment here to set rules and follow them...Is there a reason for this?

Also, Is there some way to let active Postcrossers know when a Postcrosser has set their account to inactive? Thank you.:)
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 03:33 AM

@Sfander, wow, that sounds rude. Did you report them? Because that is what you should do in my opinion if they don't even reply to you. It might just be a language problem but at least contact the support team so that they know there is a problem child.

I once received a folded card but that was when I still had a wishlist on my profile and the sender had obviously tried to fulfill my wishes and I loved it so I don't want to complain.

I can, however, see why people might have trouble discerning a postcard and a greeting card if they are not familiar with traditional mail. Or why they might think a letter is nicer. 'It is a card, I sent you mail, you should be happy, I would be happy to receive it' :D
This is not a website for postcard collectors but for connecting people with the whole world via postcards. So we have both extremes here. Those who send a postcard with the ID and one sentence, and those who don't care about the postcard at all and pour their heart into the message.

When I was new, I also contacted the recipients of a card that hadn't been registered yet. I remember one being very nice to me and explaining that mail delivery was rather slow at her place, and one postcrosser not even replied to me despite being online regularly. It has never been registered either but I refuse to resend it. I thought that was incredibly rude! This apparent rudeness is also a reason for people to quit Postcrossing so I think there should be done something about it. It doesn't seem to be uncommon to ignore questions after unregistered postcards. That a postcard may take longer than 30 days is not that unusual, e.g. to Russian countryside. And apparently, they interpret it as a request to register a card that hasn't arrived yet? Or something? I still think not replying at all, especially if you see it is a new member, is very rude.
But this maybe faulty advise about the 30 days cannot be found in the Community Guidelines but the F.A.Q.!

Just recently I also found a statement in the F.A.Q. that is wrong.

F.A.Q.: "Your private data stored in Postcrossing is not sold or traded with third parties. No one will have access to your data without your explicit permission, as specified by our Privacy Policy."

Privacy Policy: "We rely on some third party companies and individuals to provide certain services on our behalf, either because they are necessary to bring you our service or because they help us improve it. These third parties may have access to some personal information, but Postcrossing ensures that entities that have access to personal information are credible and offer high guarantees of protection, never transmitting more information than that which is necessary to provide the contracted service."

:/

But maybe the Community Guidelines could be updated, too. They still advise you to set your account to "inactive" when you are on holidays, instead of promoting the travel mode.
And if services like TouchNote are allowed, then this section is also wrong:
"The addresses given to you are private information and can only be used for Postcrossing purposes. Do not share them with anyone or make them public on the internet."
moonlightlaura

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: moonlightlaura

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 11:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Feuerstuhl  
"Always send a postcard to each address you request from Postcrossing. There are no exceptions to this."
(Community Guidelines)

Pretty clear to me. I think the problem is rather that some people who participate in Postcrossing don't speak English very well so there are bound to be misunderstandings.
Tell those people or report them so that they don't repeat the same mistake, and wait for the next card. Shit happens. You don't have to register letters and folded cards. :)

This does seem clear, but I also think that they need to put in their guidelines that folded notecards and letters are not postcards. You are right that some people may not speak great English and I understand that. The ones who sent me letters and folded cards spoke wonderful English, and they had multiple cards sent and received on their profile, so they should know what a postcard is.

One time I put on my profile that I refused to register folded notecards and letters and someone reported me to Postcrossing and they sent me a message telling me I had a certain number of days to remove that or my account would be deleted and that everything I receive that has an ID needed to be registered. So, I deleted what I wrote. It just makes me mad that some people can write stuff on their profile and they are never told anything, and I NEVER said I was NOT going to register POSTCARDS, I just said I was not going to register folded cards and letters and I am the one who gets a warning.

I also was never going to say anything public about this either, but when I contacted Postcrossing three times about this situation and they said they were gonna handle it and they have not, then I think something needs to be said. If you have rules, then everyone should follow them. I am not trying to be ugly here, but I do not appreciate getting a warning when they have other profiles who have stated the same thing and nothing was done to them. That's just my take on it.
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 04:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by moonlightlaura  
The ones who sent me letters and folded cards spoke wonderful English, and they had multiple cards sent and received on their profile, so they should know what a postcard is.

In that case, I have no idea... Why do they do it? I haven't been a postcrosser as long as you have. This never happened to me.

One time I put on my profile that I refused to register folded notecards and letters and someone reported me to Postcrossing and they sent me a message telling me I had a certain number of days to remove that or my account would be deleted and that everything I receive that has an ID needed to be registered.

As I see it, that is completely within the rules :puzzled:
How long ago was that?
I can see how such a message can seem a little off-putting but in the end you are still following the rules that you don't have to register anything that isn't a postcard.

See this thread: https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=120585
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 08:20 AM

I am not trying to be ugly here, but I do not appreciate getting a warning when they have other profiles who have stated the same thing and nothing was done to them. That's just my take on it.

I'm not saying I don't understand you, but postcrossing is only a small team and they simply can't see everything. My guess is that your profile was reported to them by someone, so they took action - if the other profiles you seem to know that have a similar line didn't get reported, postcrossing may simply not know about them.

Go To Top

Imprint