Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Return receipt? (Poste Italiane)
apost

Postcrossing Username: apost

smile.gif posted on 9-4-2019 at 05:29 PM
Return receipt? (Poste Italiane)

I'm curious about this kind of economic tracking method of Italy Post:

I recently got a "tracking number" starts with 5IUP, the sender told me when I receive the letter, he would get informed using that tracking number.

First of all, the letter is not a registered letter, no tracking info, otherwise there will be no need for a return receipt. (although some carrier like USPS only provide return receipt service for registered letter)

I wonder does this system work for international mail? The deliver post office has to know how to send the "success of delivery" message to Poste Italiane using a online system, or is it shipping the paper form of return receipt back to Italy?
klaus3428

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: klaus3428

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 03:54 PM

Most postal services offer a range of tracked products, not just for registered mail. This is possible because of the technology available today.
I often subribe to SMS messages advising me when something has been delivered (for example from USPS). Or I go to the track & trace portal of Royal Mail. There used to be a facility, for example from Deutsche Post whereby for a fee upfront you would receive a postcard advising you that the item was delivered (called Rückschein). Not sure whether this is still offered.
Probably doesn't answer your specific question - the tracking number you have looks odd, most numbers are very long as far as I can see.
apost

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by klaus3428  

Probably doesn't answer your specific question - the tracking number you have looks odd, most numbers are very long as far as I can see.

thank you this helped with my question. The tracking number starts with 5IUP, following a long number.
Does this tracking system still work if it is from Italy to foreign, non-EU countries? Because as far as I know, very probably the "success of deliver" is reported online, this requires every postal service in the world to know how to communicate with every tracking system, there is no universal protocol for this kind of receipt, the tracking number has no standard format like a registered mail.
Omaha

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: Omaha

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 06:38 PM

International mail exchanges are regulated by UPU (Union Postale Universelle).
In theory, international tracked letter have a number LX 000000000 XX, where the last two letters indicate the country of the sender.
Registered letters have a number RX 000000000 XX.
Most countries offer an advise of receipt option for registered letters, so I don't see how the "special" number you mention can work abroad..
apost

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 10:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Omaha  
International mail exchanges are regulated by UPU (Union Postale Universelle).
In theory, international tracked letter have a number LX 000000000 XX, where the last two letters indicate the country of the sender.
Registered letters have a number RX 000000000 XX.
Most countries offer an advise of receipt option for registered letters, so I don't see how the "special" number you mention can work abroad..

that's the point, the receipt code has nothing to do with the UPU standard XX000000000YY tracking number.

but I guess the deliver post office can ship a paper receipt back to the exchange office, then the exchange office can report the information to Italy online. So the delivery post office does not have to learn a comprehensive set of receipt protocols

michiel071

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Michiel

[*] posted on 17-4-2019 at 03:38 PM

Nowadays postal services are much more capable to track items internationally online. Sometimes not to all countries.

The UPU-treaty is not the only possibility for postal services to work together, there are regional unions (PostEurop for instance) or bilateral agreements.

Tracking can be done on several levels: all the way to the recipient who has to sign for delivery or on a basic level that it has passed certain sorting stations. In the Netherlands there is an app of the postal service which shows an image of the mail you are about to receive if it has passed the sorting machine. There is also a tracked product where the mailman reports that he has put the item in the mailbox (but the recipient doesn't have to sign).

davfv17

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: davfv17

[*] posted on 6-5-2019 at 09:58 AM

Hi :)
Poste Italiane's international tracked products are, as far as I know:
- Raccomandata Internazionale (international registered), with codes "RA xxxxxxxxx IT";
- Assicurata Internazionale (insuranced international), with codes "VD xxxxxxxxx IT".

These two are tracked until the border, and even until destination in some countries, see here under "monitoraggio":
https://www.poste.it/prodotti/raccomandata-internazionale.html

Tracking infos are via the official website, if the sender wants a paper receipt of the receiving, has to ask, compile it and pay additional fee.

A third product is Postapriority Internazionale, a faster service respect to the standard unregistered.
It has a barcode label, only for reading by italian post, that confirms the arrival of the letter at Poste Italiane's International Mail Exchange Centers, that are in Rome and in Milano.
From that point, letter is no more tracked and no return receipt is available.

When sending, post office leave to the sender only a small piece of paper, from which the label was taken off, with copy of the code.

I've never seen personally if its code is starting with 5IUP, but domestic faster service (called Posta1) has code 2IVC or 2IUP, so for exclusion I imagine that your letter is of the third type.

Go To Top

Imprint