AMDGIHS2019

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: AMDGIHS2019

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 03:40 AM
Some Suggestions for Profile Enhancements

Hi, Postcrossing.com Moderators:

(01) How about putting a date-time stamp on the bottom of the Profile showing the time of lastUpdate? It can be useful to know when a Member last updated their Profile. That timestamp should not count towards the 3000 character count we're allowed in our Profiles. And somewhere on the site, please state that all date-time references are in Portugal time (UTC±00:00).

(02) Put a "Favorite" button on the bottom of the Profile page just like the one for postcards along with the "See Who" feature. If we can "favorite" postcards, why not "favorite" Profiles, too?

Thanks.

Tuutia

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Tuutia

[*] posted on 29-4-2019 at 10:29 AM

What would be the reason to favourite a profile?
I understand one can place cards as favourite in the hope of receiving that card some day (like I do), but why a profile?

And, would hearts disappear while updating a profile?
Would you get a notice when a profile you favorited, changes? Because maybe there's something in the update you don't like anymore.
AMDGIHS2019

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: AMDGIHS2019

[*] posted on 30-4-2019 at 02:47 AM

Profiles are different from Postcards.

I didn't know that someone would mark a Postcard as a favorite to signal to others that you want a Postcard like that sent to you. Thanks for letting me know.

I understand "favorite" more simply. It just means you like it. If someone wants to explain why they like a Postcard or what the implication of that liking might be ("Please send me one, too"), then they can make a Comment on that Postcard. We don't now have that same capability with regard to Profiles.

The reason to favorite a Profile would be to say simply I like your Profile. That could start a conversation. It might also encourage some Members perhaps to update their own based on what they've seen of others' Profiles. What makes a good Profile? If a Profile had been favorited and I could see that, I would definitely take a look to see why others had done so and maybe learn from or just enjoy it. Just like for Postcards.

Yes, the hearts would disappear if the Profile was updated and we should get a notice when Profiles we've favorited have changed. Just like for Postcards, you could un-favorite a Profile, too. Perhaps Profiles could be archived for several versions (maybe 3?) along with the favorites.

We could work out the details all together later as we go along.

The point is to give Profiles, which are probably as important as any data on Postcrossing, a little more of the functionality that is associated with Postcards themselves. Yes, they are different. But I think enhancing their sharing and visibility is a good thing.

Thanks.

Go To Top

Imprint