Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Postcrossing 1.0 - Max. 5 cards travelling...
Shaula

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Shaulalala

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 11:36 AM
Postcrossing 1.0 - Max. 5 cards travelling...

Hi there! I started postcrossing 13 years ago. Those were the days there was a limit of 5 cards travelling at the same time and Finland was number 1 :D. Frustrating at times but for me it was also a challenge. :-) Nowadays I can send over 50 cards at the same time and it has taken the fun out of PC for me. I've tried it a few times but I felt like doing a mass production. I received many cards but felt like I didn't pay enough attention to every card received. Limiting myself to 5 cards is no fun at all. There was a certain joy when you could finally send another card! :bouncy: I really miss that.

Are there people like me who feel the same? Do you think it would be possible to add this function in the future? What are your thoughts?

(And yes, I had to create a new account for the forum ;-))
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 10:18 PM

I can send up to 100 cards but there's no way I can keep up with that, both financially or time wise so I set myself a limit. Usually it's 35 but right now I'm keeping it at 30 because I'm extra busy.

Just because you can send that many doesn't mean you have to.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 06:22 PM

I know we are in the minority, but I also preferred Postcrossing when everyone could only send 5 cards at the time.

I don't mind the fact that we can send more now, but I think the added cards go up too fast. Like it goes up to 6 as soon as you have sent 5 postcards. I think it should go up to 6 much later. Also, I think there should be a maximum of slots you can reach, for instance, once you are able to send 20 cards, that's it, the amount won't go up anymore.

Those are quite unpopular ideas though, so I don't think they will ever get implemented.
akroma

Country Flag:
Estonia

Estonia
Postcrossing Username: Akroma

[*] posted on 11-5-2019 at 11:37 AM

I agree with SuzyDoozy.
The limit for postcards to be sent at the moment exists only in your mind. If you want to send 5 at the same time, then send so many. If you want to send 100 at the same time, then send so many. I see no point to make any contrived limitation, e.g. 23 free slots, for everyone. This project is just for fun, not for any compettion.
SnowApple

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: SnowApple

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 12-5-2019 at 09:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 5 at a time and then increasing it is for the newer members? I know it can be a little frustrating when you're a new member and you can only send a minimum at a time, and maybe the countries you send to take a little longer, so the increase is to keep you in the project?
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

[*] posted on 13-5-2019 at 05:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SnowApple  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 5 at a time and then increasing it is for the newer members? I know it can be a little frustrating when you're a new member and you can only send a minimum at a time, and maybe the countries you send to take a little longer, so the increase is to keep you in the project?
You are completely right. However, the issue here is that some of those who have already unlocked many, many slots wish to have the option to go back to only five because they miss the simmering with excitement when you can finally send a card again!

At the moment, I can send 10 cards at the same time. And I don't want more slots either. 5 might be too little, but 10 is definitely enough. It would probably be different if I hadn't encountered the forum though. Sending 100 cards at once makes the individual card to a cheap mass production in my eyes.
But to each their own :) I would like to not have 100 open slots one day. The "5 left" or whatever the count is on the main page, always makes me feel like I should use all of the slots.
But I don't want to stress myself like that, so I don't :P I send too many postcards in private swaps already. At the moment, I don't have a single official postcard travelling because the last two expired recently.
Just because you have 100 slots, doesn't mean you use or even want them.
And when my slots increase, the higher count ("43 cards left") will probably rather discourage me from sending cards than encourage. I would never be able to send them all! That's a crazy amount...
But Postcrossing could use this feature to encourage people like me and the others here who don't like those masses by giving them the option to choose their own limits. Like how you can choose with a vocabulary-learning app how many words you want to learn each day, with a food guide how many calories you eat, and there are probably more fitting examples for gaming apps but I don't know much about those. It can add a little suspense! So you always have a goal whether you like to send and receive masses or not. This could just be an addition.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

[*] posted on 13-5-2019 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SnowApple  

Everyone starts with 5 and then the number increases. However, it wasn't always like that. When Postcrossing started, everyone could have a maximum of 5 cards travelling at the same time, no matter how many cards you had previously sent. Members wanted to be able to send more cards so Postcrossing then implemented the increase. Some of us preferred it like it was before.
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 09:45 AM

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation, Incrou7!
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 02:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Shaula  
There was a certain joy when you could finally send another card! :bouncy: I really miss that.

I know what you mean. :)

Quote: Originally posted by Feuerstuhl  
The "5 left" or whatever the count is on the main page, always makes me feel like I should use all of the slots.

I had this problem (or «problem», if you like) for quite a while and seriously considered simply deleting my account and starting over. This was especially bad around the time I could have 40-50 travelling at once.

And I’m only semi over it, actually :D I can have 96 travelling now, but currently only have 22. Generally I have 20-30 travelling at once, except when I go to big meetups. And I still want to delete my account sometimes, but then I would have a problem with few open slots at meetups again and I change my mind. :) Again ;)

I like the system the way it is, with growing numbers and a final stop at 100 travelling. My problem with it is only my problem and mine to handle as I choose.
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 04:24 PM

For me, in the earlier days of my Postcrossing, I found it difficult to have to wait for a slot to open because it all depends on when your sent cards get registered and of course, some go missing too and you are left waiting 60 days before that slot can open. Today, I can send 37 cards and I do. I love it and I give every card I send or receive individual attention. To me, it isn't about mass, it's about getting a chance to say hello to someone in a far away place and sharing a little of one self. It's still lots of fun for me, especially when the Hurray messages start rolling in because that says the card arrived and everything worked the way it was suppose to.

It is quite expensive for me these days, but as long as I can find cheaper postage (ebay etc), I continue to send as often as I can. There is no pressure to send just because a slot has become open. I'm fortunate to be retired now and can have the time to give to Postcrossing.:)
loamparticle

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: loamparticle

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 11:11 PM

I've been a member for just over half a year and I get really frustrated with only being able to have 10 cards traveling at once. It seems to be taking forever for the limit to increase, and every time I draw an address for the slow to travel countries I get extra annoyed. Luckily a certain other postcard site allows people to send a lot more cards far more quickly and will even increase limits on request so I find myself far more active there even though I prefer the features of Postcrossing. If the limit was 5, I'd probably give up on Postcrossing and just stick to the other site.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 08:33 PM

I usually have 5-6 going anyway.... maybe sometimes 7-8... I can send 12 but only once I had 12 on the go at the same time.
I got to 0 a couple of days ago then got 2 addresss and then I forgot to post them so I will do it tomorrow. Might get another 1 or 2 during the week.
I personally find that time and money limit me more than the allowed number. Obviously I wasn't there when the limit was only 5, waiting for my first to arrive was tough as it took over a month.
vjr123

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: vjr123

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 01:27 PM

I think being able to set your own limits would be great. I currently have 15 slots and usually have the maxiumum number travelling. But recently the number of slots is increasing more and more quickly of course. It would be nice to be able to limit myself to 15 if I wanted to. A bit like when you get a letter from your credit card company offering you an increased spending limit and you can choose to stick to a lower limit. :D
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 01:50 PM

I can have up to 16 cards at the same time and usually have 10-12 cards travelling...
But now I'm sending less cards so I can use my slots in GR and US ! :cool:

The 5-slot limit would be a problem when you're using Travel Mode and are only a few days somewhere and want to send a lot of cards... ;)
Princess-Jo

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: J-Francis

Mood: Receiving beautiful postcards

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 04:26 AM

I like to be able to send more

Go To Top

Imprint