Postcrossing (Legacy) Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

NOTICE
The Postcrossing Forum is now at:

https://community.postcrossing.com

This is a read-only archive and can no longer be used.
Learn more here.

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Zazzle postcards
casabear

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Burmese

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 06:37 PM
Zazzle postcards

I just received a bunch of Zazzle postcards that I ordered, hand picked and want to know if these type of cards are a problem with a lot of members. I'm new to this, only received 11 postcards so far, and all but two were the typical cardstock, normal size postcards. I personally don't care much what someone sends. I enjoy it all. I was wondering though if people have a problem getting Zazzle cards. I notice the cardstock is heavier than a normal postcard, and they are about 1/2" shorter in width than a normal postcard. Thanks!
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 07:22 PM

There have been threads on this but I cannot find them.

In short: Some people do request "no Zazzle" in their profiles. If you see that, I would pick another card. Also if someone has a size request and your Zazzle cards do not fit it, I would pick something else. Otherwise, I think they are fine to send.

As a postcard-producer I think Zazzle has great image and good paper quality and the unusual size does not bother me, but I do not like the shinier back, and the (in my experience) very poor trimming. So I do not use them any more. As a postcard-recipient I do not at all mind getting them, to me it is the image and message that counts.

yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 08:18 PM

I read many profile clearly write they dont want zazzle card, touchnote card and member from China dont want taobao (?) card.
I dont know all of these cards so I have no idea why people dont want them :)
CaliSmiles

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: RuhRohRaggy

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 08:59 PM

I have seen on a few profiles that some postcrossers request not to receive such cards, but I honestly do not mind receiving them. I don't think the quality is bad, so I am unsure why it is a problem for some. I think you are okay to send them as long as the profile doesn't specifically say that they would prefer not to receive such cards.
bluegreenfigs

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: lilacs-and-figs

Mood: Stay well, everyone ♥

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 09:08 PM

Hi casabear

I have only received a very few Zazzle-produced cards, and I also have some in my stock to send to others who request particular hard-to-find themes.

The sizing irritates me a bit because it makes no sense! I thought it must be a typical U.S. paper size because the Zazzle description has the gall to announce that they are "standard" size - but they obviously aren't a standard U.S. postcard or casabear wouldn't have noticed the discrepancy! :)

However, I feel the same way as ColorfulCourtney - it's the image & message that make the postcard, and I'm happy to send and receive them.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
casabear

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 09:50 PM

The Zazzle cards I received are nice cards. I choose pictures that are of Wisconsin areas I love and various other unique cards (trains, cats, books). I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of sending them back. I will not order again from them because 1. they are about 1/2" smaller width wise than a normal standard postcard. 2. They are thicker (which I suppose isn't a bad thing?)
I ordered probably about 20 of them. Sigh? Now I'm nervous about sending them even if the person doesn't specify. I wouldn't have a problem getting one of these. This is a little frustrating seeing as it would probably be more of a hassle to return them than keeping them.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 10:35 PM

I think you'll go through 20, as long as you have some other options for those who specifically say they don't want them (and even then, you are not obliged to fulfill wishes).

When I started out, I got postcards printed from my own photos, I was very happy with the quality, but I ended up sending most of them outside of Postcrossing as I got so nervous about all the "no handmade/selfmade" people. The ones I sent were liked enough (a couple of them are "favourites") and occasionally I see profiles welcoming those so I wish I had more. I can order more at some point of course (there was a minimum order and I would have been fine with less so not ready to have loads made at once again).
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 11:31 PM

Too bad you ordered that stuff; I have a bunch of them that I would have given you for Free. I think Zazzle cards are crap; I wouldn't send them to anyone. :thumbdown:

Thing is many others feel the same way; a few attempts to rid myself of them on eBay failed. Sorry if this sounds harsh but you did ask for thoughts.
Tuutia

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Tuutia

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 06:03 AM

In my opinion the quality of Zazzle is not consistent. I've received one that feels almost plasticy, and is rather thin, and normal cardy ones. Also the image in one is like someone took a somewhat bad photo of a card, and printed that, but some have been so normal, that I've only noticed they were zazzle from the size and logo.

The matteness (you mentioned in other topic, or not being shiny) shouldn't be an issue, as some cards are glossy, some matt, some have both. Some cards are thicker than others, many are other size than the standard, and cards from postcard boxes often are smaller than normal, cards from postcard books are often larger. There are not that many that say no to zazzle (aloud, or written). And if it is a problem for someone, you are not responsible of that. They have to deal wit their own emotions, and if they signed up here, they should understand they can't order cards.
Of course it's nice to find a card that fits someones wishes, I always try to do so, and make someone happy. But if someones has an attitude that she/he is not easy to please, I won't care, as that's a bad attitude to have when dealing with strangers, in my opinion.

My last 33 that I have here for example: 12 are standard size, 12 are smaller, 9 are bigger
or 12 are glossy, 6 are totally matte/very smooth, 14 are not glossy, but not totally matte, and one is partly glossy, partly matte.

If I were you, I would not return those Zazzle cards. In the end, 20 cards are not that much. For me it's the picture, and text that matters the most, and of course the surprise element of getting a card from a stranger <3.
casabear

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 06:09 AM

Tuutia,
Thank you so much for your very kind, helpful post. This meant a lot to me. I guess I want to "please" people & make their day a little happier when they get something in the mail that is not advertising or bills. The more I think about it, if someone is upset because they got a nice "Zazzle" postcard, then I think they might have joined Postcrossing for the wrong reasons. Thanks again for being so nice & helpful!
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 11:42 AM

I think I might have got a Zazzle once (no time to check and I am actually packing to move so no idea where it would be) and the only thing I didn't like was the picture, which clearly the sender must have liked so that's personal taste. As I recall, the message was lovely so it was a pretty happy day. But then I am not fussy, I'm here for the interaction not the collection.
Elenna
Finnish Community and Fanclub Anime moderator

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Elenna

Mood: Mood loading...

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 12:04 AM

I know many artists sell their work printed as postcards on Zazzle, also artists whose postcards I collect and whose postcards aren't available elsewhere. Those I don't mind at all.

On the other hand I've received some that clearly are illegal copies with no trademark, bad picture quality etc. Those I think were something that should never have been bought or sent in Postcrossing.
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 05:21 PM

@CaptainSoul, I don't know why you said they were crap? Any Zazzle cards I have ordered or received are always in your standard postcard size and of heavy and of good quality. So far, so good and I have received many of them.:)

As for copyright...I'm an advocate for the right of the artist who produced the card and would not use any bogus copy of someone's work. To me that's theft. I have never received a Zazzle card that did not have a copyright. There are old and vintage postcards out there that have had their copyright run out and they are quite legal to print.
casabear

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 20-6-2019 at 06:14 PM

I would never say they were "crap". My problem was they are about 1/2" smaller in width than a standard postcard. Some of the pictures aren't as clear as others. I'm not talking about "watercolor" paintings. I did order one of those. That should look more muted as it is a watercolor painting. The other thing I noticed. I ordered a number of lighthouse photo's & paintings of various lighthouses around Wisconsin. When I ordered them, they told me what particular lighthouse. When I got a number of these postcards with lighthouses (for example), there was nothing on the back of the card other than Zazzle. I know I would not have ordered "random" pictures of unknown lighthouses. I chose them because they were particular ones. I'm thinking somehow the name /location of lighthouse was missed in printing. Some are very nice (other than the smaller size), others not. Yet the company was very accommodating to my problem(s) which I was very appreciative. Depending in the future what I am looking for I may or may not order through them again.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by casabear  
The Zazzle cards I received are nice cards. I choose pictures that are of Wisconsin areas I love and various other unique cards (trains, cats, books). I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of sending them back. I will not order again from them because 1. they are about 1/2" smaller width wise than a normal standard postcard. 2. They are thicker (which I suppose isn't a bad thing?)
I ordered probably about 20 of them. Sigh? Now I'm nervous about sending them even if the person doesn't specify. I wouldn't have a problem getting one of these. This is a little frustrating seeing as it would probably be more of a hassle to return them than keeping them.

Oh goodness no, don't even think about returning them!! Depending on how involved you get with this hobby I would suggest keeping them and also picking up other cards from time to time. Many of us have waaay too many cards on hand and I would like to send you some of my extra Wisconsin cards to help you get going! As you read over the profiles of names that you draw you will see that some members hope to get basic tourists cards while others like special themes such as cats, food, bridges, nature, sports etc. Having a good variety on hand (both Zazzle and commercial cards) will help you find just the right one to send! Don't stress over this...you are doing just fine.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 05:22 PM

I ordered a number of lighthouse photo's & paintings of various lighthouses around Wisconsin. When I ordered them, they told me what particular lighthouse. When I got a number of these postcards with lighthouses (for example), there was nothing on the back of the card other than Zazzle. I know I would not have ordered "random" pictures of unknown lighthouses. I chose them because they were particular ones. I'm thinking somehow the name /location of lighthouse was missed in printing.

You can write the name and location of the lighthouse in your message and tell the receiver why you think this lighthouse is special or meaningful...profiles that mention lighthouses will enjoy the image as well as your personal discussions. Again, no worries!!
casabear

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 06:03 PM

Thanks so much for your kind and truly helpful response.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 12:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sfander  
@CaptainSoul, I don't know why you said they were crap? Any Zazzle cards I have ordered or received are always in your standard postcard size and of heavy and of good quality. So far, so good and I have received many of them.:)

As for copyright...I'm an advocate for the right of the artist who produced the card and would not use any bogus copy of someone's work. To me that's theft. I have never received a Zazzle card that did not have a copyright. There are old and vintage postcards out there that have had their copyright run out and they are quite legal to print.

Well I am happy that you are happy. But for me they are still crap. Please see some of this junque that I can't give away. And...oh by the way, these are the better ones

Barcelona-003.jpg - 72kB

Japan-002.jpg - 64kB
casabear

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 12:36 AM

Maybe it's me, but I don't think they look bad. I guess I"m getting disillusioned by Postcrossing. I thought it was more about the message than the picture.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 07:04 AM

I guess I"m getting disillusioned by Postcrossing. I thought it was more about the message than the picture.

There will always be people who do postcrossing differently than you. I'm in it for the message, but yes, lots of people think the picture is important and some are even serious collectors. We want different things and have to live with that.
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Waykwabu

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainSoul  
Quote: Originally posted by Sfander  

Well I am happy that you are happy. But for me they are still crap. Please see some of this junque that I can't give away. And...oh by the way, these are the better ones

as the old saying goes

" one man's meat is another man's poison " :):):):):)
piscean

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: piscean

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KAS  
I guess I"m getting disillusioned by Postcrossing. I thought it was more about the message than the picture.

There will always be people who do postcrossing differently than you. I'm in it for the message, but yes, lots of people think the picture is important and some are even serious collectors. We want different things and have to live with that.

It's rarely all black and white though. I am a collector and do have a wish list of specific themes I prefer. But I fully accept that I cannot expect people to have those available to send - and am just as pleased with a nice thoughtful, informative or amusing message. Or with interesting stamps that give me a flavour of the sender's culture. There's a lot more to a postcard than just the front. :D

The only thing that disappoints me is when I'm sent a random, meaningless card lacking any personal or cultural connection, with no real message ("Hello, happy Postcrossing from X"), when it's obvious that the sender couldn't be bothered to give it (and me) any thought or effort.
nowaglas

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: nowaglas

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 12:47 PM

I love zazzle cards!

*** note to self -- send a bunch to CaptainSoul!

:P
:P

Ron, I hope you know I am kidding with my funny comment - I only send you what I think you may like in non-zazzle
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 01:18 PM

Maybe it's me, but I don't think they look bad. I guess I"m getting disillusioned by Postcrossing. I thought it was more about the message than the picture.

You are too new to be getting disillusioned. You will receive many wonderful cards from people all over.

What you need now is perspective. To get an idea what this is about please take a look at what KAS wrote:

Quote:
There will always be people who do Postcrossing differently than you. I'm in it for the message, but yes, lots of people think the picture is important and some are even serious collectors. We want different things and have to live with that.

Thousands of members post pictures of received cards on their walls for others to enjoy. One day, yours will be among those :)
Torchwood3

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: CarolSH

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 06:32 PM

I have sent and received Zazzle cards. I have no problem with them.( I agree the quality of the image can differ according to the pic submitter.)
Some people do not understand that buying postcards locally can be very difficult in the US. Places just do not carry them anymore.
So, let's be kind, be happy that someone took the time and money to think of you, and appreciate them. Postcrossing is a free wonderful way to send a hello, I am thinking of you message around the world. And maybe to somebody who really needs a kind thought. And remember, when you send a card, you are a representative of your country.
( Of course I do draw the line at sending blank piece of paper. Ugh. Why would someone do that?)
Thanks for reading.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Imprint