Postcrossing (Legacy) Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

NOTICE
The Postcrossing Forum is now at:

https://community.postcrossing.com

This is a read-only archive and can no longer be used.
Learn more here.

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Postage Rates.
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Waykwabu

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 06:59 AM
New Postage Rates.

Saw on the news last night that Aust Post want to increase domestic rate up to $1.10, from 1st. Jan., though Xmas card and pensioner special rates would remain unchanged. They didn't say anything about overseas rates, but I would guess it won't be long as they say letter dept. is running at a loss ( but parcels div'n are booming with online purchases ).
Azzi

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Azzi

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 10:27 AM

I was just looking through the new Stamp Bulletin (361) and see they are bringing out a $3.20 and a $2.50 international stamp in Sept. It says to reflect the increases in postage but I can't find any other info on the proposed increases or the date the increases come into effect. :flaming:

At least the postcards and maxicards are still the same price.

Has anyone read anything?
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 10:43 PM

As is their normal practice Australia Post is being secretive about this increase - the Bulletin is the only indication I can find that the postage rate is going up.

Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 09:35 AM

spoke to the lady at the local PO, she confirmed domestic rate would rise to $1.10 on 1st January - but she was unaware of International Rate rises, even though they are coming in September !!!!!!!
IndigoAngel

Postcrossing Username: IndigoAngel

Mood: always . . :love: . . :love: . . an angel

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 02:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Waykwabu  
spoke to the lady at the local PO, she confirmed domestic rate would rise to $1.10 on 1st January - but she was unaware of International Rate rises, even though they are coming in September !!!!!!!

po woman "confirmed domestic rate would rise"
mmmm - there is a submission/ request to increase - perhaps that is as close as an approval to increase ...

i thought $1 was too much - domestic rate in the usa is 35c for a postcard and now 55c for a 1oz letter and international mail is less than half what we pay - $1.15 (us)

i think the international rates shall increase in october as they often do
but nothing on their website

i did notice the latest postage rates booklet is 1 august, and the only change i've spotted is an increase to the post office box rental ... where i think 10% would be a suitable 'on-time- discount rather than the $5 it has been for years, back when it used to cost $75 a year... now we're up to almost double $130/135 - normal boxes

and if you're losing volume, maybe decreasing the rate makes sense for people to send more mail - there's nothing like seeing a real birthday or christmas card in the letterbox - of course i speak today to the converted...

:o
IndigoAngel

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 09:06 AM

posted online today
new prices effective 30 september

https://auspost.com.au/business/shipping/check-postage-costs/pricing...

i can't keep the format correct in copying the table ...

Weight up to 50g
Zone 1 New Zealand $2.30
Zone 2 Asia Pacific $2.50
Zone 3 Rest of the World $3.20

and $20 for rotw to 500g...

Seasonal greeting cards All zones

Only during November and December, seasonal greeting cards up to 20g, enclosed in a sealed small letter size envelope and endorsed CARD ONLY
$2.20
Telopea

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Telopea

[*] posted on 2-10-2019 at 04:30 AM

thank you! I went to post some cards yesterday and was told of the increase. We have two weeks grace and after that it is up to the postoffice and sorting people if they accept it. If they can't send it back to sender it can be destroyed but I don't think this has ever happened to my cards.

Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 20-10-2019 at 06:50 AM

Oh dear ! just been to the local PO to get a couple of $3.20 internationals, was told they haven't arrived yet, and would have to use the old $3 stamps and add on an extra 20c stamp !!
IndigoAngel

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 09:26 PM

that's crazy waykwabu :o the new pricing came in on 30 sept and a month later the new stocks are still to arrive and you live in a major city (i think)...

there is no international 20c stamp - it'll be 2 x 10 or a 25 and who is going to overpay...

anyhoo now it is november - use the christmas rate :bouncing: and maybe your post office will have the new stamps in january...

;)
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 16-11-2019 at 09:55 PM

Interesting conversation on radio the other morning about "supply and demand" in the market place .
Normally, if demand goes up, so does the price. If demand goes down, the price drops to stimulate demand. Then they referred to Aust Post with the drop in demand for mail services. They do the opposite and up the prices !!! :D
KeoLin

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: keolin

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 01:35 AM

Hello!

Even though postage is increasing, they are bringing out newer international prepaid postcards, which is always helpful. I’ve needed to tighten the budget a bit, but they are reasonably priced. I keep a list of people who enjoy little extras, and when my finances allow, I will pop something in the mail.

Have a great day!!
Kareen
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 05:42 AM

Rather to my surprise, my local post office has prepaid cards available (one design only, $2.20) relating to the Lismore area, along with mugs and shopping bags. I have not seen them advertised online, and I was told at the PO that they are a trial issue. It will be interesting to see if they get a mention in the next Stamp Bulletin.
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 05:58 AM

After posting the above, I looked online and the latest Bulletin is there. No mention of the Lismore cards, but new postage rate stamps were issued on 16 December, $1.10 is the new rate. And prepaid cards are going up to $2.40.
helent

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: helent

[*] posted on 28-12-2019 at 02:47 AM

Confusing info on the Aus Post website, as usual.

There is a new stamp issue in the shop, Australian Fauna: https://auspost.com.au/shop/collectables/stamp-issues/australian-fau...

There is a $1.10 stamp, and the pre-paid postcards are $2.40, as Iambowym mentions above.

And also, a $2.20 stamp (but still no $2.50 stamp), and a $3.30 stamp (but not a $3.20).

Possibly flagging some adjustments to those international rates?

And to confuse us more, the stamp issues page lists this issue as being released on 1 June 2020.
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 28-12-2019 at 04:00 AM

Apart from the ordinary letter rate stamps Australia Post also issues stamps for larger letters - the $$2.20 and $3.30 stamps are intended for this purpose. In practice I have found that if you are mailing a larger letter the post office does not apply these higher value stamps - they either use a label or several base rate stamps. It's my opinion that they are issued mainly to get more money out of stamp collectors.

There is no increase to the international stamp price at the moment as far as I know.
helent

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 29-12-2019 at 02:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Iambowyum  
Apart from the ordinary letter rate stamps Australia Post also issues stamps for larger letters - the $$2.20 and $3.30 stamps are intended for this purpose.

That makes sense, thank you. I'm just so thrown by the fact that they still haven't released a $2.50 stamp - they really don't want to encourage letters and cards!

The release date on the website has been updated for the Fauna issue too, which helps remove my confusion.
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 29-12-2019 at 10:17 AM

Azzi mentioned earlier in this thread that Stamp Bulletin 381 announced a $2.50 international stamp (featuring a bilby) intended for use on mail to Asia. However, it is not a new issue - it was introduced originally in 2006 and has been reprinted thirteen years later! I can buy it at my post office, but I don’t know how widely it is available.
helent

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 10-1-2020 at 11:10 AM

Yay, a $2.50 stamp! https://auspost.com.au/shop/product/gutter-strip-10-x-2-50-year-of-t...

Go To Top

Imprint