Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  20
Author: Subject: Rude or weird postcrossers.
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 24-10-2019 at 03:25 PM

I have never received a rude hurray message (or any other message for that matter) either. One person complained that I had sent them a duplicate, but I just thought they were simply spoilt and should probably tidy up their wall of favorites (which contained three copies of the card I sent them).

Maybe it's the fact that rude messages are so rare that makes them stand out so much if we ever do receive one. Because this is such a friendly and positive community, an execption 'shocks' us more than it might do otherwise.
tad2106

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: tad2106

[*] posted on 24-10-2019 at 04:48 PM

I'm very new but I can't believe people can be rude over a card! I know some are serious collectors (although I didn't think this is what the site is about really) but crikey if getting a card that's not quite to their liking is the only thing that they've got to get upset about then lucky them! It's like anything else out there - there are always a few who have to take it all too seriously and away from the original purpose. As I say I'm new so have yet to receive (5 sent but not received yet!!) any, rude or not! :D
angeldreamer

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Angeldreamer

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Elenna  
I sent a UNESCO card to someone that had those in their wishlist. Their registration message started:

"Hello,

It's a pity, the cards of Finland are so rare, I shall have liked an Inge Look."

They also had Inge Löök on their wishlist - I don't like those cards and rarely buy them because of that (so yeah, didn't have any of those lying around).

They did say thank you and wished a happy new year after that but still, I really see no point in adding that first sentence to the message. :duh:
Perhaps that person needs to send out more cards himself if he thinks Finland is so rare, I love the stamps and cards from Finland and luckily I get them quite often (might have something to do with Postcrossing being hugely popular in that country? !) That person could also practice saying thank you.
angeldreamer

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Angeldreamer

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  
Really??? I am shocked to read that someone can "hate" a card so much and even have to tell about it...!
And I am shocked and sorry to read that people send homophobic messages! :o
same here, I hope those persons got reported!
TomoyoHime

Country Flag:
Ireland

Ireland
Postcrossing Username: LadyTomoyo

Mood: Where is that mailman!

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 02:25 PM

The weirdest comment I ever got was that I am difficult to please... Since then I did rewrite some parts of my profile, but the basics are the same: send me a tourist card and I am happy, but there is an "extra special wishlist" as well. I guess the person totally missed the first half of my profile and just read my "wishlist". So nothing rude, luckily.
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 02:44 PM

Reading this thread, I'm wonderimg if most of the rude Postcrossers are from the USA, because it seems that for the past 3 years, many Americans have forgotten their manners and feel free to spew their anger/bigotry/entitled whininess on social media. The rudest person I've encountered on Postcrossing was a fellow American who drew my address and was SO OFFENDED by my profile that she sent me a message scolding me for making Postcrossing "not fun," and telling me that she was tempted to not send a postcard, but then she would be "the one in the wrong" (instead of me?), so she was going to send me a "weird" card to punish me. I couldn't think of anything to write in response that wouldn't have upset her even more.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
Reading this thread, I'm wonderimg if most of the rude Postcrossers are from the USA, because it seems that for the past 3 years, many Americans have forgotten their manners and feel free to spew their anger/bigotry/entitled whininess on social media. The rudest person I've encountered on Postcrossing was a fellow American who drew my address and was SO OFFENDED by my profile that she sent me a message scolding me for making Postcrossing "not fun," and telling me that she was tempted to not send a postcard, but then she would be "the one in the wrong" (instead of me?), so she was going to send me a "weird" card to punish me. I couldn't think of anything to write in response that wouldn't have upset her even more.

The homophobic messages I got weren't from Americans. They both came from the same country. When I named the country in a different thread I was accused of country bashing...
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 08:00 PM

I am sorry that happened to you. I read your profile; some may take issue with paragraph one, but that is no excuse for what she wrote.

Sadly, these Social Media snowflakes know no bounds and think they can parrot their nonsense here as well.
Jillz92

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jillz92

[*] posted on 25-10-2019 at 08:11 PM

:alien384:

Seriously, some people are so... I don't know, pathetic or crazy?
I can't imagine how someone can be offended by a profile? And send you a weird postcard to punish you:duh:, sorry that made me laugh, how old she? 2?

Yeeeez wondering why some people are postcrossing if they are just so frustrated.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 04:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by angeldreamer  
Quote: Originally posted by Elenna  
I sent a UNESCO card to someone that had those in their wishlist. Their registration message started:

"Hello,

It's a pity, the cards of Finland are so rare, I shall have liked an Inge Look."

They also had Inge Löök on their wishlist - I don't like those cards and rarely buy them because of that (so yeah, didn't have any of those lying around).

They did say thank you and wished a happy new year after that but still, I really see no point in adding that first sentence to the message. :duh:
Perhaps that person needs to send out more cards himself if he thinks Finland is so rare, I love the stamps and cards from Finland and luckily I get them quite often (might have something to do with Postcrossing being hugely popular in that country? !) That person could also practice saying thank you.

I was reading that as sarcastic, like "I get so many from Finland but still don't have an Inge Look"...but maybe it's because I can't believe someone thinks Finland is rare, though for me too it is much less frequent than Germany and the USA. In fact in my recent deluge of cards post-inactivity, I got only one from Finland (and...it was an Inge Look - I don't even particularly care for them, I mean they are nice but I don't list them as a wish or prefer them over other cards).

Quote: Originally posted by TomoyoHime  
The weirdest comment I ever got was that I am difficult to please... Since then I did rewrite some parts of my profile, but the basics are the same: send me a tourist card and I am happy, but there is an "extra special wishlist" as well. I guess the person totally missed the first half of my profile and just read my "wishlist". So nothing rude, luckily.

I had that too: "it was difficult to choose a card for you because I live in the countryside, not a city". My profile says my favourite things are "pictures of places, especially city views", but I am happy with everything else (except insects). I really don't know how to make it clearer...

Quote: Originally posted by tad2106  
I'm very new but I can't believe people can be rude over a card! I know some are serious collectors (although I didn't think this is what the site is about really)

Correct, collecting is not what this site is about. It is spelled out clearly in the FAQs and was the information I was looking for to persuade me to sign up. People will tell you that "there are many ways to do Postcrossing and none of them is wrong", but I could see a precise intention in the way the site is presented and set up - of course people can get something else out of it, including cards for their collection, but it is not primarily what it is about :)
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  

I had that too: "it was difficult to choose a card for you because I live in the countryside, not a city". My profile says my favourite things are "pictures of places, especially city views", but I am happy with everything else (except insects). I really don't know how to make it clearer...

I fairly often receive cards that apologize for not sending a cat card. Cats are on my list of things I like, but I think my profile and "favorites" are broad enough that nobody should think they need to apologize for sending tourist cards or whatever!

Some people, I think, are just super-polite and maybe if their English is not too good they interpret things very strictly.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 03:07 PM

Rude or weird postcrossers?

I've just received a card, the entire writing-half of which is a request for stamps or coins :puzzled: He's included a sticker with his name, address, landline phone numbers (2), mobile phone numbers (2) and a hand-written email address which is illegible. I think that is weird. Coins = money. He's written to a complete stranger asking for money. :shocked2: I wonder what his success rate is.
sonataca

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: sonataca

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  

I've just received a card, the entire writing-half of which is a request for stamps or coins :puzzled: He's included a sticker with his name, address, landline phone numbers (2), mobile phone numbers (2) and a hand-written email address which is illegible. I think that is weird. Coins = money. He's written to a complete stranger asking for money. :shocked2: I wonder what his success rate is.

I really wonder who in their right mind would actually call anyone to arrange a swap...:alien8:

Btw, I'm not at all surprised. Many people think this website is one of their options to build their collections. Because there are postcrossers from 210 countries.
Jillz92

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jillz92

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 05:13 PM

OMG wow:shocked2: :freak:
BlacksburgLibrary

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: BlacksburgLibrary

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 06:03 PM

We have a dropbox where people can write cards that we send out through our Postcrossing account. I [serafaina] screen them carefully and make sure the ones that are mailed out are appropriate. I make sure that the religious and political ones go to people who specifically say they want religious/political cards.
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 06:03 PM

I don't think he was asking for money as such, but for coins, many of which have very little value. I remember having to explain to someone that out smallest value banknote actually had considerably more value than he had expected.

It doesn't seem to me so different from people asking for fridge magnets and so on.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  

I don't think he was asking for money as such, but for coins, many of which have very little value. I remember having to explain to someone that out smallest value banknote actually had considerably more value than he had expected.

It doesn't seem to me so different from people asking for fridge magnets and so on.

But fridge magnets, while interesting (I collect them myself and would never dream of asking other postcrossers to post them to me at their own expense.....besides, I'm kinda picky about which ones I put up on display....) have no intrinsic value. Coins do. If he's successful in his worldwide appeals for coins, there's an income stream. :money:
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 06:27 PM

But fridge magnets, while interesting (I collect them myself and would never dream of asking other postcrossers to post them to me at their own expense.....besides, I'm kinda picky about which ones I put up on display....) have no intrinsic value. Coins do. If he's successful in his worldwide appeals for coins, there's an income stream. :money:

I doubt whether many of them would buy a fraction of a fridge magnet, and I also doubt if he is very successful in his appeals. If you factor in exchange rates and charges, I don't think he'll be a millionaire any time soon.

fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 06:28 PM

Whether coins, fridge magnets, or even a return postcard, I think spending the entire postcard writing space asking the recipient to send you something for nothing is tacky and against the spirit of Postcrossing. :thumbdown:
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  

Whether coins, fridge magnets, or even a return postcard, I think spending the entire postcard writing space asking the recipient to send you something for nothing is tacky and against the spirit of Postcrossing. :thumbdown:

I agree, except for the word 'tacky', perhaps.

I've just had a close look at his profile. Seems he had three entire years off this activity and then resumed. (Pointless speculation alert)........Maybe someone died, if so it's rather sad. :(
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 08:55 PM

Anyway, today I received a card with the stamp on the front, the picture side. As a result nearly half the picture side is besmeared with grubby post office machine marks and logos. There's no point me scanning it because it looks so ghastly. Question is, why would anyone stick the postage stamp on the picture side? And such a cheerful written message on the reverse too. :puzzled:

(Filed under W for weird postcrossers.....)
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 09:18 PM

Anyway, today I received a card with the stamp on the front, the picture side. As a result nearly half the picture side is besmeared with grubby post office machine marks and logos. There's no point me scanning it because it looks so ghastly. Question is, why would anyone stick the postage stamp on the picture side? And such a cheerful written message on the reverse too. :puzzled:

Does the stamp match or resemble the card? Because, if so, it is a maxi card or maximum card, and quite sought after by some. I remember being mystified the first time I received one.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 26-10-2019 at 10:08 PM

As nyassa says, it sounds like a maxicard to me, too. I have received several maxicards issued by the Australian post office and I think they are great!

My advice is to just get used to postmarks on the front of the card -- I get them all the time, whether or not the stamp is on the front. The sorting and stamping machines are not picky, they just stamp barcodes and cancellations wherever their machine logic says they belong. They also seem to enjoy putting big smears right in the middle of the picture side as well. It is the main reason I ask for postcards in an envelope if it is convenient and not more expensive for the sender. I know that some people appreciate these "travel scars" (and I accept that fully!) but especially for nice handmade cards and vintage cards I just hate to get them all stamped or smeared on the image side.
Heepy

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Heepy

[*] posted on 30-10-2019 at 10:31 PM

I once contacted Postcrossing with an issue and they advised me to send a polite note to the sender of the particular (folded) card. I did that, but the reply exploded into nastiness. I tried very hard to compose the messages in a friendly manner, but the more polite I got, the nastier the other person got. So, I just stopped trying to explain.

I also received a postcard recently with a stern lecture about nudity on it. Not against, but for it. It mentioned the devil and Bible etc.

And, I received a postcard that demanded a specific one in return. They had looked up the number of one I sent and demanded that one.

But, no rude Hurray messages yet.

yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 01:38 AM

I often send coins to member who mentions it in their profile. Usually I send 3 coins, all the lowest value coins. Total value is 0.025 USD. It doesn't make them rich
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  20

Go To Top

Imprint