Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  24
Author: Subject: Rude or weird postcrossers.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 30-7-2020 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aerobear  
Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  
The briefest inspection of my sent cards shows that I don't send that kind of postcard. Was I supposed to be glad and thank him/her? :puzzled:

Bit of a shame you yeeted those ad cards, as there are Postcrossers in the forum who might have liked to have them. Or someday you might have drawn a profile for a person who really loves ad cards. Either way, it costs nothing to thank the person, who was trying to be nice.

Yeeted? What is yeeted? I did thank the sender politely, I always send polite hurray messages. I just didn't mention the "yeeted" cards. And it's no big deal, but over a month ago I sent some unwanted used stamps which a postcrosser sent me, to another postcrosser who has (as yet) failed to acknowledge receipt or thank me. This wasn't to a "slow" country. Ho Hum. :rolleyes:
Nadjafee

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nadjafee

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 07:07 AM

The briefest inspection of my sent cards shows that I don't send that kind of postcard. Was I supposed to be glad and thank him/her? :puzzled:

Bit of a shame you yeeted those ad cards, as there are Postcrossers in the forum who might have liked to have them. Or someday you might have drawn a profile for a person who really loves ad cards. Either way, it costs nothing to thank the person, who was trying to be nice.

Yeeted? What is yeeted? I did thank the sender politely, I always send polite hurray messages. I just didn't mention the "yeeted" cards. And it's no big deal, but over a month ago I sent some unwanted used stamps which a postcrosser sent me, to another postcrosser who has (as yet) failed to acknowledge receipt or thank me. This wasn't to a "slow" country. Ho Hum. :rolleyes:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/worterbuch/englisch/yeet
Axolotl_
formerly known as JayJennyJane

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Axolotl_
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 07:42 AM

Today I drew a profile of a user whose profile seems really rude to me. He explicitly states that a card is worthless if not sent from country of origin and written in the language of that country (even if he doesn't understand it) and requires not to get such nonsense. I find it quite sad that I won't be able to have a proper communication with him due to that. Also, his profile is just rather unfriendly in general. I'll send him a city view and tell him about my city's history in German, even though he probably won't understand a word. :mad:
aerobear

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: aerobear

Mood: I like surprises!

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 02:25 PM

... over a month ago I sent some unwanted used stamps which a postcrosser sent me, to another postcrosser who has (as yet) failed to acknowledge receipt or thank me. This wasn't to a "slow" country. Ho Hum. :rolleyes:

I see it was the USA. Sadly, the USA is now a “slow” country, by order of the new Postmaster General. It is a political move, and you can google the details if interested, but it is very sad and interfering with Postcrossing in a big way.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Axolotl_  
Today I drew a profile of a user whose profile seems really rude to me. He explicitly states that a card is worthless if not sent from country of origin and written in the language of that country (even if he doesn't understand it) and requires not to get such nonsense. I find it quite sad that I won't be able to have a proper communication with him due to that. Also, his profile is just rather unfriendly in general. I'll send him a city view and tell him about my city's history in German, even though he probably won't understand a word. :mad:

Some observations about your recent experience:

►The person's whose address you drew will be a short-timer on PostCrossing
►You responded in a very adult way; do not be upset
►Although I usually don't recommend it, this person is the perfect candidate for a "Happy Postcrossing" message on your card (In German or any other language you know :P.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 03:02 PM

I see it was the USA. Sadly, the USA is now a “slow” country, by order of the new Postmaster General. It is a political move, and you can google the details if interested, but it is very sad and interfering with Postcrossing in a big way.

This was brought home to me the past several weeks. Days would go by when there would be a bill or a card in my post office box. Then another time, it would be stuffed with mail of all sorts.

Last week, I ordered a very large number of postcards from my dealer. He sent them via Priority Mail in a box. With larger items like boxes, the post office personnel put a yellow card in my post office box and then I retrieve the item from the counter clerk. This time (July 30th), the clerk said there was "nothing" for me! I asked her to check again, and again she said nothing. I asked to speak to the supervisor Cathy.

Wait for it..........boom....now they found my box. :rolleyes:I still spoke to Cathy. She researched the tracking. Come to find out my box arrived on July 27th! It was sitting in the back for 3 days. Keep in mind that this happened to an item shipped within the US. Lord help us regarding International mail.:mad:
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainSoul  

You keep saying that with apparent confidence, but do you have any data or statistics to back it up? It's not like nobody's ever seen profiles of long-time members that are weird or rude - I know I have.
Axolotl_

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 08:23 PM

Some observations about your recent experience:

►You responded in a very adult way; do not be upset
►Although I usually don't recommend it, this person is the perfect candidate for a "Happy Postcrossing" message on your card (In German or any other language you know :P.

The Postcrosser has sent more than 2,000 cards, so no short-timer. :D But I informed the team about him and they'll try to point him into a friendlier direction.
RoniRavioli

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RoniRavioli

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 10:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  

You keep saying that with apparent confidence, but do you have any data or statistics to back it up? It's not like nobody's ever seen profiles of long-time members that are weird or rude - I know I have.

To be honest, I feel like the rude, demanding people are more likely to be (not always, but most often) people who have been here for years and sent and received lots of cards. At least from my experience. It's like the longer they are here the more comfortable they get and the more cards they have (so that normal cards aren't special anymore and they ask (sometimes in a rude manner) for expensive cards like Gotochi and don't want cards showing certain topics).

Most of the long time postcrossers are very lovely, of course.
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RoniRavioli  

To be honest, I feel like the rude, demanding people are more likely to be (not always, but most often) people who have been here for years and sent and received lots of cards. At least from my experience. It's like the longer they are here the more comfortable they get and the more cards they have (so that normal cards aren't special anymore and they ask (sometimes in a rude manner) for expensive cards like Gotochi and don't want cards showing certain topics).

Most of the long time postcrossers are very lovely, of course.

I think the rudeness (or what we may perceive as rudeness) has less to do with how long people have been with Postcrossing than it does with their "orientation" toward Postcrossing: Is it about me, or is it about other people?
If it's about me, then I am going to expect people to pay attention to my requirements, demands, favorites, etc.
If it's about other people, I am going to try to please others with my choices and be gracious about what I receive.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 04:53 PM

I don't need statistics to support a viewpoint. It's just common sense. When demanding and impolite people don't get their way, after awhile they often lose interest and move on to something else. Enjoy your day...
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 05:03 PM

I don't need statistics to support a viewpoint. It's just common sense. When demanding and impolite people don't get their way, after awhile they often lose interest and move on to something else. Enjoy your day...

Some do, others don't. It sounds a bit like wishful thinking to me. ;) Many postcrossers lose interest after a while, for a variety of reasons. And I do believe that many demanding people actually do get what they like in many cases, because many people simply like to fulfil wishes and try their best to please others. I'm still not sure more rude people quit than others, but obviously everyone is entitled to their viewpoint. :)
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  

I think the rudeness (or what we may perceive as rudeness) has less to do with how long people have been with Postcrossing than it does with their "orientation" toward Postcrossing: Is it about me, or is it about other people?
If it's about me, then I am going to expect people to pay attention to my requirements, demands, favorites, etc.
If it's about other people, I am going to try to please others with my choices and be gracious about what I receive.

Hi Lydacher,
Is it about me, or is it about other people? Why the either/or?

It's both, from where I sit. I have a reasonable expectation that people will try to send me cards I like, and mostly they do. I try to please others with my choices, and an overwhelming majority of thank you messages are enthusiastic.

Choosing the right card and writing something appropriate to that person, then getting a terrific thank you message is, for me, about 80% of the fun in this. I could send WAY more cards than I'm allowed to atm.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 05:39 PM

@RoniRavioli :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

In my personal experience, the pickiest people also tend to be long-timers. They are the ones (again, in my personal experience) who ask you to check their hundreds of received cards if not also multiple Instagram or Pinterist accounts to make sure you do not send them the same "Inga Look" they had before, they are the ones who are the quickest to point out that a folded card is not a postcard (and usually with "not" in bold), and they are also more likely (once more, in my experience) to claim that ad cards, homemade postcards, etc. are also not "real" postcards

Yes, a few times I roll my eyes over newbies. In comparison, however, I am much more often thinking, god in heaven, these people have received more than a thousand cards, why do they care if one of them is a half of a greeting card?
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 1-8-2020 at 06:39 PM

GoodGod CC, do people really ask you to do that? Check multiple accounts elsewhere before sending them one?

I must be very peculiar. When I get an address I carefully read the profile, quickly check how many they've sent already which could be anywhere from 5 - 10,000+, chose a card, write it, scan it, post it. That's another card done. :spin:
thelopho

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: thelopho

Mood: soft and positive

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 04:58 PM

I used to have some of my collections on my PC profile. But then I gained experience in sending cards to people with giant albums of received cards and got rid of the links in my profile. I want to make people happy but when they already have all the cards I own it makes me very worried! Postcrossing isn't supposed to make me anxious, right? Or maybe I just take things too personally?
As for my profile, I left a link to my collections in general but mentioned that it's not necessary to check them and I love duplicates too. Hope I'm not rude, I don't want to make others uncomfortable...
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thelopho  
I used to have some of my collections on my PC profile. But then I gained experience in sending cards to people with giant albums of received cards and got rid of the links in my profile. I want to make people happy but when they already have all the cards I own it makes me very worried! Postcrossing isn't supposed to make me anxious, right? Or maybe I just take things too personally?
As for my profile, I left a link to my collections in general but mentioned that it's not necessary to check them and I love duplicates too. Hope I'm not rude, I don't want to make others uncomfortable...

You're right. Postcrossing isn't supposed to make you anxious. It is supposed to be FUN, a pleasant thing to do, there is a cost (cards and stamps) but the payback is generally worth it in terms of goodwill exchanged between complete strangers. That's the way I see it anyway.

Are you taking things too personally? I'd have to say that you're taking things too seriously. As I've posted before, it's only postcards! Not precious pieces of the holy grail or vitally important scientific discoveries, just postcards! Small pieces of cardboard with a picture on one side and some writing on the other! That's the way I see it anyway.

There are far, Far, FAR worse things going on in the world, than some people possibly thinking you are "rude" for linking to your collection or not linking to your collection. Ignore them and keep sending postcards! :bouncing:
RoniRavioli

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 4-8-2020 at 07:52 PM

My comments weren't directed at anyone in this thread, your profiles are fine;)
Axolotl_

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 09:33 PM

Not exactly rude.. but left me wondering.
I just drew a profile of someone who states to send only a single topic of cards each month, even if the recipients don't like it. On the other hand, the person lists many wishes and asks not to get certain kinds of cards. I don't really get it.
Again, not a short-timer, over 1,000 cards sent.
Nakkinenä

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Nakendorf

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 09:10 PM

Not a very common case. Sometimes people ask for postcards of specific topics for different months of the year. But visa versa is something new for me.
This "even if recipient doesn't like it" is not a very gentle approach to people. For example, if recipient says "please no insects, I have phobia" but the sender has insects as topic of the month.
Tuutia

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Tuutia
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 04:49 AM

Does this person have written in the profile "even if the recipient don't like it"?
Maybe the cards are common themes like views, multiviews, flowers, maps and seasonal cards?

It might be she/he sends a certain amount cards in each month, and buys them beforehand. I agree, not rude, but a little weird (and interesting I think :) ).

Axolotl_

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 08:25 AM

The person's profile says:
Quote:
I have so many Cards collected and I like to bring joy to other Postcrossers.
Unfortunately I lost a little bit the overview.
So I decided to send each month only Cards with one Topic. Even that’s not really your favorite, please don’t mind. I think all the Cards I send are nice Pictures.
I hope you like them, even if you got a Card you don’t like so much. Please let stay the Pictures in it.

It just comes to me as a bit ignorant, as it seems like the person has enough postcards to choose from. But still, we can't choose which cards to receive and ultimately, you just have to send a card, no matter the picture. I just don't like the double standards here.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 01:23 PM

Not exactly rude.. but left me wondering. I just drew a profile of someone who states to send only a single topic of cards each month, even if the recipients don't like it. On the other hand, the person lists many wishes and asks not to get certain kinds of cards. I don't really get it. Again, not a short-timer, over 1,000 cards sent.

I tend to disregard those profiles with very exacting preferences (likes). I send what I think is a nice card (not something they dislike); I've done my part. :)

canchita

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: canchita

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 09:46 AM

I received an empty Hurray-message this week from someone who registered 40 cards at the same time, and it made me a bit sad.
I know registering a card is all we technically have to do, the message is a bonus, and there might even be a good reason for the empty message (them being ill and someone registering the cards for them, them actually hating the card and doing the bare minimum, ...) but it certainly feels like a case of "can't be bothered". Ach well...
RoniRavioli

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 10-8-2020 at 11:54 AM

My last two cards were registered without a "thank you". That felt so weird because it had never happened before and then suddenly twice.

Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  24

Go To Top

Imprint