Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10
Author: Subject: Rude or weird postcrossers.
cuzcopete

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cuzcopete

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
Reading this thread, I'm wonderimg if most of the rude Postcrossers are from the USA, because it seems that for the past 3 years, many Americans have forgotten their manners and feel free to spew their anger/bigotry/entitled whininess on social media. The rudest person I've encountered on Postcrossing was a fellow American who drew my address and was SO OFFENDED by my profile that she sent me a message scolding me for making Postcrossing "not fun," and telling me that she was tempted to not send a postcard, but then she would be "the one in the wrong" (instead of me?), so she was going to send me a "weird" card to punish me. I couldn't think of anything to write in response that wouldn't have upset her even more.

speaking as a fellow American...if you poke a bear you should not be surprised by the result. Having the political statement at the top of your profile will produce a backlash...I suggest you remove it. All of us are tired of the political nastiness, so why bring it into Postcrossing? I don't disagree with your sentiment but there is no need to include it in your profile.
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Heepy  
I once contacted Postcrossing with an issue and they advised me to send a polite note to the sender of the particular (folded) card. I did that, but the reply exploded into nastiness. I tried very hard to compose the messages in a friendly manner, but the more polite I got, the nastier the other person got. So, I just stopped trying to explain.

But, no rude Hurray messages yet.

It should come as no surprise that PostCrossing has its fair share of snowflakes. :P
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cuzcopete  

speaking as a fellow American...if you poke a bear you should not be surprised by the result. Having the political statement at the top of your profile will produce a backlash...I suggest you remove it. All of us are tired of the political nastiness, so why bring it into Postcrossing? I don't disagree with your sentiment but there is no need to include it in your profile.

Reading this, I had a look at the profile. That political statement is positively mild compared with some I have come across when looking at profiles at random.

As a philosophical debating point, I really don't understand why peoples' political beliefs are questioned, and suggested that they be removed; while religious beliefs are never remarked upon at all. Recently I came across a person who devoted three entire paragraphs to her particular (and "unusual") religious beliefs, yet no one queries this AFAIK. Why not? They're all beliefs and clearly important to those posting them publicly, yet some (religious) are tolerated and some (political) are not. :puzzled:
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 31-10-2019 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  
Quote: Originally posted by cuzcopete  

Reading this, I had a look at the profile. That political statement is positively mild compared with some I have come across when looking at profiles at random.

As a philosophical debating point, I really don't understand why peoples' political beliefs are questioned, and suggested that they be removed; while religious beliefs are never remarked upon at all. Recently I came across a person who devoted three entire paragraphs to her particular (and "unusual") religious beliefs, yet no one queries this AFAIK. Why not? They're all beliefs and clearly important to those posting them publicly, yet some (religious) are tolerated and some (political) are not. :puzzled:

I think that is really interesting but off topic - U2U being sent shortly
aerobear

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: aerobear

Mood: I like surprises!

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 01:02 PM

Not sure where else to post this, but I recently drew a Postcrossing newbie who had sent only one card and received zero. So I picked a super cool 3D card, decorated with stickers and washi, and wrote a really nice “Welcome to Postcrossing” message.
Two days later, the card was registered... because the account was closed! Weird.

Well, I really hope they actually receive the card, and maybe try Postcrossing again.

And I feel kinda bad that I wasted an expensive card on a ghostcrosser...
PasoDoble

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: PasoDoble

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 01:21 PM

@aerobear
It happened to me once or twice that my card was not registered by the addressee, but became registered as "account closed". Nevertheless, ID and picture appeared on my wall - e.g. https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/DE-8272386 - as I had scanned the card previous to mailing it.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa
Member Is Online

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 1-11-2019 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PasoDoble  
@aerobear
It happened to me once or twice that my card was not registered by the addressee, but became registered as "account closed". Nevertheless, ID and picture appeared on my wall - e.g. https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/DE-8272386 - as I had scanned the card previous to mailing it.

That's not too uncommon :) I think aerobear's perplexity was due to the fact that the member was new and had only sent one card and had had no time to receive anything yet... That's quite uncommon.

Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 12:00 PM

I have received a card which says on the front, it's printed on the front of the card, "I love you and think about you all the time".

:shocked2:

This is a peculiar thing to send to a complete stranger, isn't it? Not knowing how to acknowledge this, I praised the sender's handwriting.
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 12:19 PM

I have received a card which says on the front, it's printed on the front of the card, "I love you and think about you all the time".

This is a peculiar thing to send to a complete stranger, isn't it? Not knowing how to acknowledge this, I praised the sender's handwriting.

Do you think it's weird?
In "tag - other items" section, there is "noted in a folded card tag". I often send a folded card with romantic phrases like that :D
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 12:19 PM

That is quite a weird choice for a Postcrossing card... :duh:
Maybe they don't speak English?
ColorfulCourtney

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 08:39 PM

If it was printed in China or Taiwan, I would not be at all surprised. I have received such cards and also have washi tape and stickers from Asian countries with such sentiments on them.

To this day I am not 100 percent certain if the disconnect is a lack of knowledge of English and something akin to Google Translate taking over, or if the notion of what you can use the word "love" for is simply different (I can remember as a child being roundly scolded for using the word "love" to apply to things like ice cream or cake). But I would not stress over it, I doubt a request for your hand in marriage will be forthcoming!
englyn

Postcrossing Username: englyn

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 11:03 PM

It's also quite a famous song lyric about a country:

"Let me tell you that I love you and I think about you all the time
Caledonia you're calling me and now I'm going home"
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 05:24 PM

On the theme of a weird choice of cards, today I received one wishing me a happy new year 2017. I was intrigued so I looked through the sender's wall of sent cards. He has sent quite a number of Happy Mothers' Day and Happy Fathers' Day cards too. It could have been been quite a shock for some! :D
Phoebe Wai

Country Flag:
Hong Kong

Hong Kong
Postcrossing Username: PhoebeWai

Mood: Addicted

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 01:45 PM

Not sure if it's translation issue. How about sharing the postcard image and I could try to translate. :)
Phoebe Wai

Country Flag:
Hong Kong

Hong Kong
Postcrossing Username: PhoebeWai

Mood: Addicted

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 01:48 PM

I'm recently a bit annoyed facing request of having blank cards. Understand that it's people's freedom to choose if they want postcards written or blank, or how to deal with the postcards after receiving them, but I just feel bad when I knew someone asked for blank postcards and resell them. - Do you consider this kind of postcrosser like me who has hesitation to send blank weird?
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Phoebe Wai  
I'm recently a bit annoyed facing request of having blank cards. Understand that it's people's freedom to choose if they want postcards written or blank, or how to deal with the postcards after receiving them, but I just feel bad when I knew someone asked for blank postcards and resell them. - Do you consider this kind of postcrosser like me who has hesitation to send blank weird?

I never had to send to someone like that but I would be a bit annoyed too - I guess it's fine to put the message in a separate paper in the envelope, but I think it takes the fun out of it. To me, this is all about the connection between people and sending cards as a picture with a message, not special requests. From the way the website/project is constructed, I firmly believe that this was the intention, but you cannot avoid collectors so requests are tolerated. If I came across someone asking for blank cards, I am not sure I would do as they wish. It depends how they ask (if it's a nice profile or just demanding).
englyn

Postcrossing Username: englyn

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 05:06 PM

If it's for an official (not a forum swap) then anyone who asks me for a blank card will get a card with stamps, their address, the postcrossing ID, and my username. I personally can't imagine sending anything less on an official card. There might be a reason, I suppose, but I can't think of one?

If it's for a forum swap then the swappers can choose their own set of swap rules to follow.
Jillz92

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jillz92

[*] posted on 10-11-2019 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  
On the theme of a weird choice of cards, today I received one wishing me a happy new year 2017. I was intrigued so I looked through the sender's wall of sent cards. He has sent quite a number of Happy Mothers' Day and Happy Fathers' Day cards too. It could have been been quite a shock for some! :D

That's funny. Well some man are probably thinking about their past and about every women they had and which they made pregnant :P
ColorfulCourtney

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 10-11-2019 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jillz92  
Quote: Originally posted by nyassa  

That's funny. Well some man are probably thinking about their past and
about every women they had and which they made pregnant :P

Yikes! I hope not!!! I have gotten a number of "Happy Mother's Day" cards since I joined Postcrossing, I hope I haven't unknowingly slept with all of those people!!! :P
CaptainSoul

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Cliffside

Mood: Daydreaming At Midnight

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 02:36 PM

No, I would not consider you weird.You did not say where the request for blank cards came from. The Forum? Or the Official PostCrossing site. Let's assume it's an Official card. The rules strongly infer that the card is to be sent written and stamped. I always send my cards that way. Other Postcrossers try to be friendly and accommodating. They might send a blank card with a Post-It note showing the Postcard ID. This works if the postage rate for a card by itself or in an envelope is the same. But again, that is optional.

I do want to correct your thinking on one matter. Please don't buy into this absolute nonsense that people want blank cards because they plan to resell them. It doesn't pass the laugh test. I can tell you that after 40+ years of buying, selling and trading cards that the economics of doing so make that a silly proposition.
HMKM

Country Flag:
Unknown

Unknown
Postcrossing Username: HM

Mood: okay - previous signed up as mtts, Khasab

[*] posted on 16-11-2019 at 08:39 PM

Do not sent me list.
Expired postcard list with username.

Postcrossing members with one or both of these in their userprofile :tumble:are a bit weird to me.
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 17-11-2019 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by HMKM  
Do not sent me list.

Postcrossing members with one or both of these in their userprofile :tumble:are a bit weird to me.

I don't mind the lists of expired postcards on people's profiles, and when I see them, I quickly scan for my own name. If I'm on the list, I would register the ID number. (This actually happened a few years ago.)
So many of the postcards I receive arrived damaged by the US postal machines, that I think it's very likely that a lot of them have never made it to me at all.
I've kept track of the number of my expired "sent" cards over the years, and it hovers around 4%. Twice, a whole batch of my sent cards (all mailed on the same day) simply disappeared.
yummymayo

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: yummymayo

[*] posted on 19-11-2019 at 03:41 AM

I can only remember one outwardly rude "registered" message, but it said something like:

"Thanks for nothing. We were disappointed with your lazy card."

I don't remember what I sent them, but I was probably trying to send more unique and unconventional cards at the time. They probably had a long list of demands and didn't get the card they wanted.
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 19-11-2019 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yummymayo  
I can only remember one outwardly rude "registered" message, but it said something like:

I don't remember what I sent them, but I was probably trying to send more unique and unconventional cards at the time. They probably had a long list of demands and didn't get the card they wanted.

:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: but that's a terrible thing to say! Like seriously, the mere fact a card has been chosen and posted implies a form of effort...sure some cards look lazier than others (not implying yours was) but if I feel that's the case I just don't put a lot of effort in my registration message (like I'd say "thanks for the card, best wishes" rather than engage with the card/message if they've not given me much to engage with). But still...it's just a postcard!

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  
Quote: Originally posted by HMKM  
Do not sent me list.

I don't mind the lists of expired postcards on people's profiles, and when I see them, I quickly scan for my own name. If I'm on the list, I would register the ID number. (This actually happened a few years ago.)

You know, it has never even occurred to me to look at one of those lists to see if I was there...:smilegrin: Maybe I am under the misconception that my postal service is good, but I had a lot of cards from postcard pals going missing so I guess some officials might have been lost on their way to me too...
But then I don't think I would register something that hasn't arrived.
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 19-11-2019 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yummymayo  

That is an incredibly rude way to let someone know you received their postcard. Probably all of us have been disappointed by a card, but how many would go so far as to write, "Thanks for nothing?" I'm sorry that happened to you, and I'd feel like notifying the admins about it.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  10

Go To Top

Imprint