Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  20
Author: Subject: Rude or weird postcrossers.
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  
Quote: Originally posted by englyn  
For me there's a difference between someone writing about their own day, which might include religious observances (which should be interesting to anyone interested in other cultures), and someone writing to evangelise others. I had contact with a very Christian postcrosser who obviously lived her religion, but without trying to convert other postcrossers, and I can respect that attitude (in fact, I might wish more religious people aspired to be like her!).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Exactly. There is a big difference between writing about your faith in terms of telling about yourself/sharing your culture versus proselytizing and trying to convert others to your religion. I wouldn't mind a Bible verse if someone said "my favorite verse is _____, it's meaningful to me because of xyz reasons," something along those lines. They are writing about themselves and that's perfectly acceptable. When it's just a Bible quote with no personal message it does come across as trying to convert and I wouldn't appreciate that.
elanlei

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: elanlei

Mood: rainy

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaptainSoul  
Quote: Originally posted by elanlei  
It must just be the massive population of the US, I imagine they have the same ratio of weirdos as anyone else. I do still think that religion should have no place in postcrossing. Sometimes I feel like praising Satan in my profile to annoy the fanatics!

Most interesting. People of faith you consider weirdos or fanatics? :rolleyes: Perhaps you should come out of your cocoon at some point and understand that faith informs a significant part of peoples' lives...even here on PostCrossing.

If half your profile is about god in this very neutral multicultural community you are a fanatic. Faith is a private thing and a thing to mention if you consider it to define you, but if you end up aggressively advertising your god you should just go knocking on doors. There are dozens of faiths represented here and it is offensive to force yours on others.

Postcards for me are about communication and connecting with people. There is no connection if you just toss religion at me. It's like someone shouting on the street to no one at all. Reading profiles that are all about god makes me think they are hoping to reach someone, probably in a less developed country in their mind, like really lazy mission work.
englyn

Postcrossing Username: englyn

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KAS  
But the world is full of non-religious holiday cards. At least where I live you have to actively go hunting for religious themed Christmas cards. The great majority of our holiday cards are secular and just feature nisse (https://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/NO-190605) and/or birds. I'm sure we can't be the only place where religious themed Christmas cards are unusual. ;) I did go looking for religious Christmas cards once so I'd have it in stock for those who ask for it - and after a long and arduous hunt I did find one with a church on it. ;)

You seem to be assuming I dislike Christmas cards because they're religious, which is not true in my case, although it appears to apply to some other people in this thread. I dislike them in the same way someone with a mild phobia dislikes their phobia trigger, because of the many unhappy memories associated with "Christmas". This isn't so unusual. I also know people who dislike celebrating their birthday or other culturally required festivals. :)

Edit: And I shouldn't have to explain this. Saying "No" should be enough.
englyn

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elanlei  
if you end up aggressively advertising your god you should just go knocking on doors.

Don't encourage them! ;)
Tuutia

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Tuutia

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 06:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fraggle27  
With the noted tendency around here of some senders to try to punish a recipient with a "bad" card if the sender doesn't like the recipient's profile I honestly didn't know whether adding "(No Christmas cards, ty.)" to my profile will result in fewer or more being sent. I live in hope.

I do have the "No Holiday cards" sentence in my profile. I think, I receive not as many cards. But I receive them, nevertheless. I never thought about what others might think about this exclusion. But PC is a hobby, I hope most people see it this way. Others have these elaborate wish lists (or suggestions), I'll keep my "Please no holiday cards" - and everything will be great. We can write post cards and we will receive them, if someone has these petty feelings to "punish" someone, it's their problem. Some cards I consider ugly are loved by others and vice versa.

Just Happy Postcrossing for everyone! :bouncing:

I think some might interpret "No holiday cards" as please no cards from your holidays (=travels) and therefore send a Christmas/Yule card.
Fraggle27

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Fraggle27

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tuutia  
Quote: Originally posted by Fraggle27  

I do have the "No Holiday cards" sentence in my profile. I think, I receive not as many cards. But I receive them, nevertheless. I never thought about what others might think about this exclusion. But PC is a hobby, I hope most people see it this way. Others have these elaborate wish lists (or suggestions), I'll keep my "Please no holiday cards" - and everything will be great. We can write post cards and we will receive them, if someone has these petty feelings to "punish" someone, it's their problem. Some cards I consider ugly are loved by others and vice versa.

Just Happy Postcrossing for everyone! :bouncing:

I think some might interpret "No holiday cards" as please no cards from your holidays (=travels) and therefore send a Christmas/Yule card.

Oh, that's the actual sentence I wrote in my profile:

~~ Please... if you have Christmas cards or other holiday specials - send them to people who really love them. I'd rather like something else. Thank you. ~~

I think I made it clear. But of course I know there's the risk it won't be understood. But in comparison to other years I receive fewer Christmas cards with this plea.
Honestly? I appreciate each and every card I receive. I just answered to the original post because of the mentioning that some post crossers would maybe "punish" others if they don't like their profile. That's petty, I think.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 08:30 AM

You seem to be assuming I dislike Christmas cards because they're religious, which is not true in my case.

I did, because you kept mentioning religion all the time.

I know one shouldn’t assume... ;)
englyn

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KAS  

You seem to be assuming I dislike Christmas cards because they're religious, which is not true in my case.

I did, because you kept mentioning religion all the time.

I know one shouldn’t assume... ;)

I responded to other postcrossers talking about religion, yes. About my own profile I said:

'With the noted tendency around here of some senders to try to punish a recipient with a "bad" card if the sender doesn't like the recipient's profile I honestly didn't know whether adding "(No Christmas cards, ty.)" to my profile will result in fewer or more being sent. I live in hope.'

Easy to get confused in one mixed conversation about a religious festival though. ;)
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 04:01 PM

Not from USA, and it gets worse.

In my thank you note, I said I couldn't read it without a magnifying glass, but had worked out what it was, and ended by saying I'm a committed atheist.

Within a couple of hours this person sent me an email, with, wait for it.......
The ENTIRE text of the postcard, typed out for me to read "properly" :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

How the .... did he/she have the entire text there when it had been posted? No I'm not going to ask.

It would be interesting to know if she writes the same thing to everyone.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  

In my thank you note, I said I couldn't read it without a magnifying glass, but had worked out what it was, and ended by saying I'm a committed atheist.

The ENTIRE text of the postcard, typed out for me to read "properly" :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

How the .... did he/she have the entire text there when it had been posted? No I'm not going to ask.

I'm glad someone picked up on that one. I can only assume the text was typed and then hand-copied on the card to me. And therefore everyone gets the same teeeeenytiny text of about 350 words. I wonder what the success rate is? Of converting non believers. Or indeed failure rate? In attracting opprobrium.
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lydacher  

I'm glad someone picked up on that one. I can only assume the text was typed and then hand-copied on the card to me. And therefore everyone gets the same teeeeenytiny text of about 350 words. I wonder what the success rate is? Of converting non believers. Or indeed failure rate? In attracting opprobrium.

I can't imagine that everyone would wade through that much teeny-tiny text. If the handwriting on the postcards I receive is unreadable, I just send a generic thank you message commenting on the card's image.
I like to begin my thank you messages by greeting the sender by name, but about 1/2 the time I have to guess or just begin with "Thank you for your postcard...."
One of the things I appreciate about Postcrossing is that it has motivated me to improve my handwriting.
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 04:13 AM

:puzzled: Today I received a postcard which is COMPLETELY BLANK. Just my name and address and a registration number. No words WHATSOEVER, not even the SENDER's NAME!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :duh: :borg: :info: :rolleyes: :shocked2: :thumbdown:

I have to say that in your short time on Postcrossing you have already had quite a number of "weird" experiences... Neither the fully blank or the religious converter have happened to me yet ;) [this is not a judgment of anything, just saying you seem to get a lof of these random things!]
(obviously now that I said this I'll get a blank card and a religious text next time I open my mailbox :P).

As for Christmas, as a holiday it has nothing to do with religion anymore and it is one of the 3500 reasons why I hate the 'festive season' (I think it should only be celebrated by thos who believe, not become a celebration of consumerism).
I mention this in my profile but quite casually as it is not a huge deal for me. If someone sent me a Xmas themed card with an interesting message I wouldn't complain that much really. This will be my 4th (!) Christmas season as a Postcrosser and so far I only recall receiving two Christmas cards, I guess they didn't read my profile closely/didn't understand English well enough/didn't care. Not a problem, I do think they were thinking they were doing something nice and I appreciate the intention. I think one of the cards was pretty insignificant so I don't think I still have it, the other one bothered me more because it was sent in November and I think it's overkill (another of the 3500 reasons I hate Christmas, there's no need to start 3 months before as it seems to happen in a lot of places).
If I got ONLY Xmas cards for two months straight I'd be a bit annoyed, but one or two really is fine and I can imagine the sender being all happy so I can tolerate it (same with all the types of cards I don't like, except for insects because I can't even look at them).
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  
:puzzled: Today I received a postcard which is COMPLETELY BLANK. Just my name and address and a registration number. No words WHATSOEVER, not even the SENDER's NAME!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :duh: :borg: :info: :rolleyes: :shocked2: :thumbdown:

I have to say that in your short time on Postcrossing you have already had quite a number of "weird" experiences... Neither the fully blank or the religious converter have happened to me yet ;) [this is not a judgment of anything, just saying you seem to get a lof of these random things!]
(obviously now that I said this I'll get a blank card and a religious text next time I open my mailbox :P).

As for Christmas, as a holiday it has nothing to do with religion anymore and it is one of the 3500 reasons why I hate the 'festive season' (I think it should only be celebrated by thos who believe, not become a celebration of consumerism).
I mention this in my profile but quite casually as it is not a huge deal for me.

Wasn't Christmas originally a pagan holiday (Yule) anyway, and only more recently became merged with celebrating the birth of Jesus? I'm not religious and for me Christmas is a celebration involving family traditions, light in the darkness, spending time with people you love, eating good food, and exchanging gifts (and I like giving gifts more than receiving). So I don't think Christmas must be limited to Christians.

I don't mind a few Christmas postcards as officials, as long as they aren't folded cards. I even put a few Christmas postcards that I really liked in my favorites. I prefer the secular themed ones but I've received maybe one or two religious Christmas cards over the years. I don't prefer them but oh well. Not a big deal. I wouldn't want to receive only Christmas postcards but this has never been an issue.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 07:04 PM

They're only the ones I've posted about. There's more.

I had a card completely written in German. I used googletranslate to interpret it. Frankly, I needn't have bothered but I thanked him nicely anyway.

I had a card wherein the poster told me the names of her five dogs, multiple cats, goat, rabbit and goldfish. The only possible response was "oh, ok". Why do people always tell you the name of their DOG? I never write about my husband or children or pets. :puzzled:

I had a card from a "Christian Mom and GrandMom". Why do these particular believers state their belief FIRST? Thinking about that, I never get a card from a "Muslim Mother..." or "Jewish Mother...." or, which might be slightly more interesting, from a gun-toting right-wing, Trump supporting, atheist?
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  

Wasn't Christmas originally a pagan holiday (Yule) anyway, and only more recently became merged with celebrating the birth of Jesus? I'm not religious and for me Christmas is a celebration involving family traditions, light in the darkness, spending time with people you love, eating good food, and exchanging gifts (and I like giving gifts more than receiving). So I don't think Christmas must be limited to Christians.

Full Disclaimer: I am one of those atheists who loves Christmas. (and edit to add: sorry to be so off topic, it just happened...)

My understanding is that a northern-hemisphere Yule celebration of some sort waaaaaay predates Christmas and that this celebration was shifted into a Christian holiday because the early religious authorities simply could not shut it down. The Biblical report of the birth of Christ puts it in another time of the year entirely, and many very strongly religious Christians do not celebrate the December 25 date of Christmas at all for this reason.

While on December 23 the days already start getting longer, it is not until the 24th or 25th that people notice it. Then the celebration starts. The sun is coming back, it is going to be spring again, if you can hang on there will be food once more. Count your blessings, thank your friends, drink a toast because in these long dark nights there is not much work to be done anyway.

To me Christmas is a wonderful humanist holiday. I am happy to share it with the Christ tradition because Christ was also a humanist, at least as I have read his story in the Bible. The New Testament Christ, I think, would have been far happier with people celebrating with "non-believers" than with punishing them in his name...
-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-
Member Is Online

Mood: It’s a Beautiful Day to Save Lives. #WearAMask

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 07:20 PM

Handshake, you've received only 40 cards as yet.
When I read all your posts I think that you've got only cards that are rude or weird.

To my mind it is hart to please you.

fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 07:42 PM

They're only the ones I've posted about. There's more.

I had a card completely written in German. I used googletranslate to interpret it. Frankly, I needn't have bothered but I thanked him nicely anyway.

I had a card wherein the poster told me the names of her five dogs, multiple cats, goat, rabbit and goldfish. The only possible response was "oh, ok". Why do people always tell you the name of their DOG? I never write about my husband or children or pets. :puzzled:

I had a card from a "Christian Mom and GrandMom". Why do these particular believers state their belief FIRST? Thinking about that, I never get a card from a "Muslim Mother..." or "Jewish Mother...." or, which might be slightly more interesting, from a gun-toting right-wing, Trump supporting, atheist?

Maybe because those things are important to those people. To be honest your railing against all these messages creates the impression that you only appreciate very specific types of messages and are somewhat judgmental to any that fall outside of your expectations. For only receiving 40 cards you sure seem to dislike a high percentage of them. If your received cards are so annoying to you, maybe Postcrossing is not going to be an enjoyable hobby for you.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by -Bille-  
When I read all your posts I think that you've got only cards that are rude or weird.

No! It's not hart (or hard) to please me, I only chatter away here about the weird/amusing ones. I have loads which are terrific. :bouncing:
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fire.maggie  

Maybe because those things are important to those people. To be honest your railing against all these messages creates the impression that you only appreciate very specific types of messages and are somewhat judgmental to any that fall outside of your expectations. For only receiving 40 cards you sure seem to dislike a high percentage of them. If your received cards are so annoying to you, maybe Postcrossing is not going to be an enjoyable hobby for you.

No! I'm not being "judgmental" about cards which "fall outside my expectations" etcetera. I am just chatting with, I thought, a :D and postcrossing is terrific fun, I've recommended it to friends and family. :thumbup:
postfan

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: postfan

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:05 AM

Staying away from the whole religion thing... It usually just goes no place good, quickly, on internet forums.

I guess I've just been fairly lucky in not encountering many rude or weird postcrossers.
Bavaricus

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: browntrout

Mood: German by birth - Bavarian by God's Grace ;-)

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 09:06 AM

I would write a card to you in German as well. After all you state in your profile that you speak a little French and German.
So, why should you put it in your profile on postcrossing if you wouldn´t want to receive messages in these languages?:puzzled:
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 01:34 PM

Speaking it is not the same as reading it in curly handwriting.....
Bavaricus

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 02:02 PM

Speaking it is not the same as reading it in curly handwriting.....

...still wondering though.
But let it be good.
-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-
Member Is Online

Mood: It’s a Beautiful Day to Save Lives. #WearAMask

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 03:38 PM

No! It's not hart (or hard) to please me, I only chatter away here about the weird/amusing ones. I have loads which are terrific. :bouncing:

Handshake, here in the forum are people from all over the world and we all have to write in english although a lot of us are non-native speaker.
I'm now for over 7 years here, but I've never seen that a native speaker has rectified the wrong orthography of a non-native speaker.
To my mind that is rude :mad:

Bavaricus

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 03:54 PM

Handshake, here in the forum are people from all over the world and we all have to write in english although a lot of us are non-native speaker.
I'm now for over 7 years here, but I've never seen that a native speaker has rectified the wrong orthography of a non-native speaker.
To my mind that is rude :mad:

Die hart, part 1:wow:
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  20

Go To Top

Imprint