Author: Subject: Unregisterable postcard
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 11:32 AM
Unregisterable postcard

Today I received a postcard from Germany which I cannot register. Why not? Because (I presume) one digit is missing from the ID number, it's not long enough for a 2019 card from Germany.

With the ID number provided, I have found a card sent in 2011 by someone who hasn't been seen for a year. It couldn't possibly be from him anyway, since I've only been here for a few months.

The postmark is blurred but seems to indicate it was sent on 25th November which seems very fast; and as well as the incomplete ID number, there is no name from the sender or any clues, just a phrase carefully written in pink ink. I'm guessing it's from a very long time member, with the brevity of hand-written message, no salutation or sign-off? Oh well.......
thubcabe

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: thibcabe

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 11:37 AM

Did you contact the admins ? I'd think that the sender just forgot to write one/the last digit... :)

2 days is usual from Germany by the way (I receive 90% of my German cards 2 days after the postmark ! :cool: )...
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 11:44 AM

When you are in the registering menu, you have the option search-the-postcard-ID, it's a paragraph somewhere right (on PC).

As you won't have dozens of cards from DE traveling to you, the admin-team should find the correct ID soon.

German IDs from 25th of Nov are around DE-874xxxxx atm, maybe it's only the last number missing, then you could try for yourself.

Good luck

(long-time-member and short message? interesting which conclusions come to your mind fairly quickly)
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 12:31 PM

Hey! The admins found the card very quickly, there was one digit missing (and a digit in the middle of the range of numbers). You're right Stevyy and I was wrong, it's not a long time member, it's a newbie, well not as new as me but with less traffic.

It's good to know that unregisterable cards can be rendered registerable so quickly. :thumbup:
angeleye

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: angeleye

Mood: We are exploding colours that shine in purple and green and red

[*] posted on 28-11-2019 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  

It's good to know that unregisterable cards can be rendered registerable so quickly. :thumbup:

Yes, I received a card recently with a wrong ID. With the information I could provide about the card I got a message with the correct ID within minutes. So quick! :roll:
fire.maggie

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: fire_maggie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2019 at 07:16 PM

Postcrossing's algorithm and admin team do a great job locating missing IDs. I've never had them not be able to find an ID for an official card that had a missing or wrong ID. :thumbup:
elanlei

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: elanlei

Mood: rainy

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 04:12 PM

I got a card the other day with most of the left half torn off along with the ID. Took barely minutes to get the correct ID.

Go To Top

Imprint