Author: Subject: "Seasonal" posting
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Handshake

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 05:51 PM
"Seasonal" posting

I handed two cards over in the Post Office today. The bloke (mistakenly) thought I had asked if they'll get there by Christmas. He said "Canada will, Philippines almost certainly won't."

I haven't been here for a "Seasonal*" er... season yet, so please bear with me. :saint:

Am I right in thinking that all cards from and to everywhere will get progressively more and more piled up in global sorting offices until the "Season*" has passed, and then some? The answer has to be a yes, so what do people do? Just keep requesting new addresses and posting anyway, or hold off requesting address+posting to far away countries for about two/three weeks starting next week? But that doesn't work either: you can't specify which regions to post to. I can't believe it all grinds to a halt just because of some "Season", so what happens? :puzzled:

*trying to avoid specifying the actual "Season" because some people can't abide it, inevitable as it is.

pa. On previewing this post, it seems a pretty stupid question so just ignore it.

pps. No, don't ignore it! It's a perfectly valid question from someone who hasn't been here before at this time of year. Thank you! :)
zeroday

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: zeroday

Mood: Postcards make me happy...

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 06:25 PM

Holiday mail always slows down globally every year...
lydacher

Postcrossing Username: lydacher

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Handshake  
I handed two cards over in the Post Office today. The bloke (mistakenly) thought I had asked if they'll get there by Christmas. He said "Canada will, Philippines almost certainly won't."
I haven't been here for a "Seasonal*" er... season yet, so please bear with me. :saint:
Am I right in thinking that all cards from and to everywhere will get progressively more and more piled up in global sorting offices until the "Season*" has passed, and then some? The answer has to be a yes, so what do people do? Just keep requesting new addresses and posting anyway, or hold off requesting address+posting to far away countries for about two/three weeks starting next week? But that doesn't work either: you can't specify which regions to post to. I can't believe it all grinds to a halt just because of some "Season", so what happens? :puzzled:
*trying to avoid specifying the actual "Season" because some people can't abide it, inevitable as it is.
pa. On previewing this post, it seems a pretty stupid question so just ignore it.
pps. No, don't ignore it! It's a perfectly valid question from someone who hasn't been here before at this time of year. Thank you! :)

I'm taking a break from sending until the new year begins, for a few reasons:
1. I'm not interested in receiving Christmas cards or sending them, except to a few of my friends who observe Christmas.
2. The USA mail does get bogged down during December, and surely the postal workers won't be upset if they don't have my usual stack of postcards to process.
3. I don't have stats on this, but it's my impression that in the past, more of my postcards have gone missing in December and in August (when it seems like virtually everyone in Europe goes on an extended vacation--makes me jealous). :-)
4. The money I save on postage during December and August gives my Postcrossing budget a much-needed boost.
5. The breaks help justify my frantic sending sprees twice a year.
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 08:24 PM

You can send your cards to Indonesia. Xmas season is not busy time in here
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Stevyy

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 08:51 PM

UK's top user's median for 42 cards to Philippines is 22 days, so I doubt Season does play a role here.

Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 08:54 PM

'Season' is a very busy time for postal services, with folks (and some business too) remembering dear ones and real mail. In AT, we even have Urlaubssperre (no vacation for blue collar work force) and Verstaerker (additional workers).

Don't know exactly what you mean by global sorting centres, a few hubs aside where prepared trays/bags from several countries meet to be forwarded, sorting is a task for the resp. national service, which usually has one (or two or three ...) departements for international exchange. Of course, they feel the December increase too.

More mail than usual -- slowdown everywhere in the process.
(Admittedly, there might be a slight preference for national mail in these weeks, as for the international mail you can always blame the second country involved ;)).

But mail is moved still and does arrive too, esp. now when we still are at 'Season's beginning (postal services usually have 'deadlines' about when mail has to be posted to be delivered before the holidays), so I would (resp. I will) send however you feel (my traveling time in Dec does differ only slightly).

PS: I am too stupid to manage the quotes ;)
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 01:31 PM

My postcards today to Russia Japan and Ukraine won't arrive before Christmas, methinks. Esp the first one.
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 02:05 PM

My postcards today to Russia Japan and Ukraine won't arrive before Christmas, methinks. Esp the first one.

RU possible before Orthodox Christmas, but yes, this will be probably the slowest.

UA is kind of fast, at least from AT, so I would expect the card to arrive. Again, Christmas increase in orthodox country does set in a little later than here in the West.

JP I'd have no doubt at all ... even if it leaves UK only by the end of the week (and as said, Western postal services are busy, but they have experience too ... it's not a total breakdown in speed or performance), Japanese postal service would still have more than a week for delivery.

Sun here in the northern hemisphere will rise again from his/her/its astronomical low in a few days ... it's time to believe in a bright future again :cool::P:)
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 04:36 PM

I ignore the fact that it's the Christmas season when sending postcards. :P First of all, if I want to participate in the "Postcards for a Good Cause" campaign I have to send postcards now, as this is only during December. Secondly, even if cards are a bit delayed, that's not really a problem, is it? Most cards still make it relatively fast, and I doubt anyone would notice a delay of 1 or 2 or even 3 days. It's not like you can set your clock by international travel times anyway, and that's not even considering individual registration behaviour. If I stopped sending, nothing would arrive at all. ;)

I also can't say I've noticed more cards getting lost during December/January, but I'm not really keeping tabs on that. In my personal experience postcards getting lost or not being registered comes and goes in waves - sometimes you have a lot expiring at once and then none for a long time. It's just the way things are.
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: KAS

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 05:54 PM

I usually don't send very much the first three weeks of December. That's more because of holiday business than because of any consideration about slow mail delivery, though. In the past couple of years I have maxed out my travelling in the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve :P Because I tend to be home alone then and have time on my hands :lol: Might do that again this year - if I do, I'll have 100 travelling at once! Scary stuff.

I have the idea that more than usual expire in February/March, but that's probably just because I send so much more than I usually do in the week before New Year's! More sent = more expired, right.
englyn

Postcrossing Username: englyn

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stevyy  

'Season' is a very busy time for postal services, with folks (and some business too) remembering dear ones and real mail. In AT, we even have Urlaubssperre (no vacation for blue collar work force) and Verstaerker (additional workers).

Österreichische Post are amazingly fast at the moment. I've received and sent cards to Austria this week in only three days each. :love:

Deutsche Post are looking slow by comparison! :P
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 01:22 PM

I also don't think it makes a huge difference. The longest delay is because of non-working days in countries that have them, so obviously most people won't receive any mail on the 25th (though I assume some countries don't observe that), but well it's a day. Or more if people have the 26th etc., but you know... it's like weekends.

Russia probably slows down the first two weeks of Jan, but again more because of the above reason than anything else. And still I've never found it to be a lot different than usual. My longest travelling or totally lost to Russia had nothing to do with holiday seasons. In fact, August tends to be worse, because of holidays (please people go inactive when you can!) or people disappearing to holiday houses (I always thought that if you're in Russia there's no point using inactive status for holidays, the post is too erratic :)).
Stevyy

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:13 PM

On Monday, I've posted a few cards to DE from the (wonderful) meet_up we had here last Saturday. In economy mode, so I did expect some days traveling time. Esp. with Western Christmas slowdown.

What's to say: two of them have arrived already. After only two days! Compliments to all involved.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 06:48 PM

I've got two slots freed up now, but there's no point me (going to the trouble of) sending any postcards this near to Christmas.

But that will give me more to do in late December? Early January?
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 12:58 PM

I've got two slots freed up now, but there's no point me (going to the trouble of) sending any postcards this near to Christmas.

Hehe I think there is a point even now, so I'm writing officials today :frog: :)
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 05:56 PM

But that will give me more to do in late December? Early January?

You are right. Better not sending now.
I just checked my traveling cards. Most of the cards are traveled to members whose last seen 1 or 2 weeks ago. I believe they are in holiday and will not comeback until 2020.
Handshake

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KAS  

Hehe I think there is a point even now, so I'm writing officials today :frog: :)

Okay okay....I have sent some more today. More in hope than expectation. I wrote happy new year on them (to Malaysia and Belarus IIRC). :)
KAS

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 07:36 PM

I wrote happy new year on them :)

Me too! :lol:
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Waykwabu

[*] posted on 24-12-2019 at 04:27 AM

We don't really notice any slowdown, as it draws close to Christmas the posties often work extra shifts just to clear the backlog. In our area the postie often does two deliveries (instead of one) on Christmas Eve. And enjoys throwing treats to small children who have just finished their school year !!

Go To Top

Imprint