Postcrossing (Legacy) Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

NOTICE
The Postcrossing Forum is now at:

https://community.postcrossing.com

This is a read-only archive and can no longer be used.
Learn more here.

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The new Forum for the Postcrossing community
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: paulo

[*] posted on 21-10-2020 at 09:13 AM
The new Forum for the Postcrossing community

I'm happy to announce that the new Forum for the Postcrossing community is finally ready!

If you had not heard about the new Forum before, please take a few minutes to first read about why this is happening.

A new Forum for the Postcrossing community was long overdue and it has been in the works for almost 2 years: researching, testing different software, installing, configuring, polishing rough edges, nailing bugs, theming and making it suitable for our community — it's been a long road, but it's finally here. Many of you have helped over the last months to test everything, submitted feedback, even caught bugs — thank you all :thumbup::thumbup:.

As mentioned before, we have allocated a 3 months transition period that starts today and will run until the 20th of January, 2021.

This long period is to smooth the transition for everyone to move from this forum into the new one. We will be actively welcoming everyone on the new forum during this time, helping everyone to get to know the corners of the new house, listening to suggestions for the decoration of the walls and the disposition of the furniture (suggestions and feedback is welcome!), as well as helping out with copying any content that is important to keep so that everyone can move into the new house as soon as possible!

From today onwards, the sign ups on this forum are closed and no new threads can be created. This is to encourage new content/threads to be created on the new forum, while allowing existing ones to wrap up and come to a stop. You can still participate in the existing threads and send/receive U2U's during this transition period.

After January 20th, 2021, this forum will become read-only (archive mode). It will no longer be possible to add new content to it and it won't be possible to use the U2U's anymore from that date onwards. We aim to keep it in archive mode for as long there is a clear interest (and use) to keep it around and it is feasible for us to do so.

If you need help or have questions about how to move into the new forum, please check this thread and we'll do our best to help.

Please do join us in the new home for the Postcrossing community — we look forward to seeing you there!
nekelin

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: nekelin

[*] posted on 21-10-2020 at 09:45 AM

:love:

(Because, no like button. ;) )
yudi

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: yudi

[*] posted on 21-10-2020 at 10:30 AM

:thumbup::thumbup:
Torchwood3

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: CarolSH

[*] posted on 21-10-2020 at 08:52 PM

Can you help please? Am I just not seeing it, but does the
new forum have a "favorites" where I have kept the round robins I am active in?
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer

Mood: eclipse

[*] posted on 21-10-2020 at 09:03 PM

It's easy.
Favorites are called "bookmarks" in the new forum.
At the bottom of each topic (tag or RR or any else you'll find a button to bookmark this topic (left to the blue "reply" button).
You can access your bookmarked topic if you click on your avatar in the right upper corner of the screen and then on the little bookmark symbol (in the middle between the bell and the envelope symbols).
Or you can do it more simple by typing g and than b on your keyboard.
Hope this helps.
:)

Oh, by the way: Have you read your message from @postbot? By doing the short tutorial you can learn a lot of things... :)
Torchwood3

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: CarolSH

[*] posted on 21-10-2020 at 11:29 PM

Thank you Nordbear. I clicked to watch the tutorial but it did nothing. I'll try again.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 08:51 AM

Did you do what the Postbot told you in their first message? To bookmark their message? If you do bookmark it, the tutorial will continue.
Zveroboy

Country Flag:
Ukraine

Ukraine
Postcrossing Username: zveroboy

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 09:26 AM

Do we have something like signature in the new forum? The place where I give links to my favourites, collections and some short information that I can send/ receive only written and stamped without envelope?
Or I have to write in every time when I tag somebody in favourites tag?
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer

Mood: eclipse

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 11:00 AM

After 20.1.2021, when this old forum is read-only, will we also be able to read existing U2Us?
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Zveroboy  
Do we have something like signature in the new forum? The place where I give links to my favourites, collections and some short information that I can send/ receive only written and stamped without envelope?
Or I have to write in every time when I tag somebody in favourites tag?

There's no signatures in the new forum and we highly discourage on the new forum to always type the same things with every single reply as it adds nothing to the discussion. Please note that it is part of the new forum guidelines to not sign posts since they are already clearly identified.

Instead, add the text/links you want to your forum profile text which is easily reachable to others with a click on your avatar (or double-click for the full profile).

The new forum also allows to select a "Featured topic" link that shows prominently on your usercard if there's a particular topic you'd like to bring attention to (eg: some game you are a host for).

Quote: Originally posted by nordbaer  
After 20.1.2021, when this old forum is read-only, will we also be able to read existing U2Us?

Yes, but only for some time. We aim that at some point in the future to disable the logins too and, with that, also remove all U2U's from the database. We don't know yet when this will be.

Our concern is that leaving this old forum software running indefinitely when it's so old and unmaintained (for over a decade now!), it can become a security (and a liability) problem. Particularly worrisome in the context of U2U's which may contain personal data even by those who don't need it anymore.

We don't have a date at this point for doing that change — it will depend on how much "use" this forum will still have after the transition. We will however make sure there's a clear notice (in advance) before we disable logins.

Because of this, our recommendation is that any important information stored in U2U's is slowly moved elsewhere (there's an option to forward it to your email) and then deleted here.
Zveroboy

Country Flag:
Ukraine

Ukraine

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  

There's no signatures in the new forum and we highly discourage on the new forum to always type the same things with every single reply as it adds nothing to the discussion. Please note that it is part of the new forum guidelines to not sign posts since they are already clearly identified.

Instead, add the text/links you want to your forum profile text which is easily reachable to others with a click on your avatar (or double-click for the full profile).

It sounds good, but it doesn't actually work. Look at this favourites tag.
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/send-me-a-card-from-my-album-of...
There's no discussion, we just tag other person and we need to see favourites of each other easily. But in every single post everybody copies and pastes links to flickr, google, pc favourites or other collections (everything what they had in signature). This forum format doesn't look comfortable for games like tags
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 08:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Zveroboy  

This forum format doesn't look comfortable for games like tags

I do understand the reasoning for that context, but we can't model the whole forum around the needs of a particular type of tag game — the forum is also for discussion (and other types of tags too) and seeing the same thing being posted over and over again isn't helpful. It's reasonable to guess that if one would set a signature to use in that particular tag, they wouldn't update/remove the signature when they posted in other topics too.

Just an idea: what if the rules in those tags would request (or at least suggest) participants to include such links in their profile bio text?
mike12

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: mike12

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 09:38 PM

Actually the TAG section is the second most active/visited section of the forum.

And I must admit: I do not like the new forum, do not like it at all

First, it required new browser but even with the browser upgraded I can 't log in.
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 22-10-2020 at 09:56 PM

@mike12: Please send me a message with the browser name and version and I can try to check whether it should work or if the issue is something else.
Zveroboy

Country Flag:
Ukraine

Ukraine

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paulo  
the forum is also for discussion (and other types of tags too) and seeing the same thing being posted over and over again isn't helpful.

But what is helpful? Badges? Or messages like "This is the first time zveroboy has posted — let’s welcome them to our community"?
I was active in Tags and RR, not in discussions. And there's only one good thing for me - no problems with cyrilic letters.
jacqueline

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: Tufta

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 09:25 AM

How would we get into the new forum? Only through the link?

paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 09:35 AM

Very soon we will update the main website menu with the direct link. Right now we are allowing some time for the existing forum members to join in first before inviting others to join it too.
Lleyton

Country Flag:
China

China
Postcrossing Username: Lleytoncassidy

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 09:56 AM

Will the new forum feature in the blog as well? For more exposure?
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 01:04 PM

Definitely yes, we want it to be the new home for the community. But we also want to do it slowly to make sure we fix any issues that may come up and that there's already plenty of ongoing activity on the forum for people to arrive and be able to participate. We also want to help people as they arrive and have questions and it will be harder if it's all at once.
Dolphin8

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: Dolphin8

Mood: a little sunshine, a little rain

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 04:08 PM

Hiya Paulo,

I appreciate all the work that you all do and indeed after a good few years an update is needed.

I think the approach to allow 3 months for people to familiarize themselves with the new format is fair however I think in reality people will need more than 6 months to for this. This taking into account that not all users log in to the forum daily or very frequently.

Can I ask a few questions:

1. It looks like there is 0 history on the new "forum". Will +10 years worth of data data from here migrate over to the new site or do we start "fresh" with no data, no signatures, no messages, no post history etc.?

2. I am using Google Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit) and logging in on the new site was very buggy. No matter how many times I clicked on "Click here" to read that initial message it would not allow me to move forward.

3. Would it be possible for the ads to be a little bit less intrusive? I understand fully the need for ads. It would be great if it did not cover half of the laptop screen. (my laptop screen 23 cm and add 15 cm). Oh, I just noticed now there are multiple similar ads when scrolling on the site. ://///

Other than that, as with anything new (especially with technology) it will take some time to getting used to it.
EugeneOnegin

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: EugeneOnegin

[*] posted on 23-10-2020 at 04:50 PM

[updated]
Hello Paulo!

I joined the new forum yesterday and I have a small idea of how to improve it. Is it possible to make fonts on the page with the Categories darker (and maybe others in other places like these ones too), please? It's a little bit difficult to read the text. I made the text size larger because I thought that it would be better and easier to read but it seems to me that the problem is in the font's color. When it's a small piece of text (like when you open a theme and it shows where this theme is located) it's OK, but when there are many words written like that it's not OK. But maybe it's just a problem of mine only (:

And yes, someone mentioned it before. Will you make a signature on the new forum like here? Users very seldom open bio of others because it wastes time. It's very convenient to have a link on Flickr or on favorites or to write that it's better to send cards in/without an envelop, etc. It makes everything easier.

And thank you very much for your great work!

P.S. postbot is so cute <3
aegisW

Country Flag:
China

China
Postcrossing Username: aegisW

Mood: plesase let me know when you recieve my card

[*] posted on 24-10-2020 at 09:21 AM

What about the problem in tags?For example,I tag someone in the old TAG forum,no one tag me until the 20th of January, 2021.So what will happening?My tag just disappear?And replaced in new forum tag?
As I see,there are two parallel same tag both in old and new forum,with different tag members.two different members tag in two different forum with same topic of the tag.(Like we have two China meet the world tag,both in old and new forum,but different content)What will happening to the last tag person after 20th of January, 2021?That is not fair to him/her
I think you should just mirror it,not like this.
mike12

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: mike12

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 08:25 AM

nothign is working!
I keep trying to log in but the system throws me back to the main site, I have to log in again and nothing happens!

switching to the new forum is the worst decision Postcrossing has ever made!

paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Dolphin8  
I think the approach to allow 3 months for people to familiarize themselves with the new format is fair however I think in reality people will need more than 6 months to for this. This taking into account that not all users log in to the forum daily or very frequently.

Ultimately, there's no reasonable period that will fit 100% of the people. Some members have stopped using the forum long ago and we can't give a transition period that is so long that it drags forever. The consensus with everyone we asked was that 3 months was a balanced choice.

1. It looks like there is 0 history on the new "forum". Will +10 years worth of data data from here migrate over to the new site or do we start "fresh" with no data, no signatures, no messages, no post history etc.?

It's a fresh new forum. We know this makes it harder, but it is impossible to migrate the data. The accounts here are separate from the main website (which is something we really want to fix) and it's not doable to import the data and assign it to the right author, specially since many posters are no longer around.

On the other hand, it's also an opportunity to have a fresh start and leave behind some things that were no longer relevant and do things better with what we learned here.

2. I am using Google Chrome Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit) and logging in on the new site was very buggy. No matter how many times I clicked on "Click here" to read that initial message it would not allow me to move forward.

That's definitely not the right behavior, but you are also not on the latest version (86.0). Could you try updating Chrome? I suspect that will fix it.

3. Would it be possible for the ads to be a little bit less intrusive? I understand fully the need for ads. It would be great if it did not cover half of the laptop screen. (my laptop screen 23 cm and add 15 cm). Oh, I just noticed now there are multiple similar ads when scrolling on the site. ://///

We do plan to revisit the ads in some time — right now we want to collect feedback before making any changes.

Half of a laptop screen sounds odd. Can you open a topic on the new forum about that with a screenshot so we can take a look?
paulo
Super Administrator

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal

[*] posted on 25-10-2020 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EugeneOnegin  
Is it possible to make fonts on the page with the Categories darker (and maybe others in other places like these ones too), please?

We can take a look. But could you open a topic on the new forum about this? That way others can contribute with their experience too so we can see what can be done about it.

And yes, someone mentioned it before. Will you make a signature on the new forum like here?

I do understand how they are useful for some of the games, but I'm afraid signatures are not going to be possible on the new forum.

We hope that over time the games also adapt to what the new forum can offer. Some hosts have already found great ways to improve the games and I'm sure new things will be thought of. We are also listening to feedback and tweaking settings to make the new forum better fit the community, but signatures are not going to be part of it.

P.S. postbot is so cute <3

I hope you managed to feed the capybara! :lol:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint