Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why do my message totals decrease?
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

shocked.gif posted on 7-10-2006 at 11:40 PM
Why do my message totals decrease?

Some members here keep track of how many messages they have posted, and notice at times that their total has decreased.

The reason the message totals decrease is because forum maintenance (me) reduces very large or inactive threads.

No-one looks at the first 20+ pages of a tag or off-topic thread when it is 49 pages long.

Every month old unused topics are aged and removed. Some, like the lotteries and OT are aged and removed after a month, other topics after three months of inactivity, some 6 months and the communities at 12 months of inactivity.

I figure that if no-one has commented or participated in a thread since the beginning of the year then it isn't active anymore and is probably duplicated in a more recent thread.

A lot of the off-topic threads and Tag threads have grown to extremely large sizes and I sympathetically remove the older/earlier messages seemlessly joining the ongoing thread into the first message.

So if you notice your message total has decreased it is only me or one of the moderators at work tidying up.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 22-12-2010 at 11:54 PM

I do have a criteria I use on a monthly basis.

The very active/results quickly threads like the Lotteries and the Infinite threads get reduced to the last month messages and by the time the next housekeeping cycle comes around there are two months worth of messages in those sections.

Other sections like stamps and Personal announcements have the last 3 months worth of information left. Again by the time I do the next cycle there are 4 months worth there.

Some sections like Trades and swaps, Penpals and Tags have 6 months left there and again by the time the next cycle comes up there is 7 months there.

All the Communities have 1 years worth of messages in them.

The RAS, countdowns, bingo and news/events all have a hand tidy-up as needed and it is usually a light prune often back to the last 6 months of messages.

The beginning of each year sees some sections pruned back to the last year.

And very large threads are regularly pruned if they have several thousand messages in them, because they bog the database down and affect the performance on the server.

I (and my moderators) keep a tidy forum. It is dynamic, vibrant and ongoing and not stale and old. I do a balance between current discussions and bloat, juggling server and database performance with members expectations.

Vicki
Forum Administrator

hmassese

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: hmassese

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 04:46 AM

I have been on here more than a year and have offered lots of swaps. Unfortunately for me I follow the rule of asking for my swap offers to be deleted when they are not necessary. BUT this means my number of posts drops and I look like a new user still and people worry about that when they swap with me. It's good to clean up but it is unfortunate that I am paying for it!
Denian

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: Denian

Mood: In no mood

[*] posted on 28-7-2011 at 08:43 AM

Your registration day still shows on the left bar, so everyone sees how long have you been here. :)

Dromera

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Dromera

Mood: Busy busy busy!

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 09:30 AM

I was just wondering... Shouldn't it be possible to change the postcount number so that it goes up every time you post something, and that number remains the same, even if some of your older posts are deleted? That way, people would keep their old post-count-number, while the older posts can still be deleted and do not clog the server.
I don't know a lot about programming, but I know some people who do, and they tell me this should be really easy to implement, so it may be something to think about? Not that I personally have a problem with my post-count not showing the actual number, but you know, some people do...
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dromera  
I was just wondering... Shouldn't it be possible to change the postcount number so that it goes up every time you post something, and that number remains the same, even if some of your older posts are deleted?

The forum software we use doesn't have this function. Sorry.
Fez

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Fez

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2014 at 06:24 AM

I was wondering how it came to be that after a 3 year absence I'm suddenly a "new member" once more. :D
I remember being quite active in the tagging forums and I know I must've had more than one or two hundred posts.

beck

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Beckla

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 16-2-2014 at 01:17 AM

Quick question… it looks like all of my posts that took place before this past September (with the exception of two) have been erased and I have dropped from over 400 posts down to 32. Is that normal? :(
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 03:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by beck  
Quick question… it looks like all of my posts that took place before this past September (with the exception of two) have been erased and I have dropped from over 400 posts down to 32. Is that normal? :(

If the majority of your messages were in topics that were not being used or popular and depending on what the topics were in regards to their aging then it it quite feasible.
runningjurgen

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: runningjurgen

[*] posted on 7-9-2014 at 09:26 PM

when reacting, tagging, swapping,... with other users, i will Always look at the number of posts. More that the time active on the forum, this numbers tells me something about the user: is he/she active? in which topics?.... Now I know this number is not the "real number", this method will not be 100% useful for me. too bad :(
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 12:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by runningjurgen  
when reacting, tagging, swapping,... with other users, i will Always look at the number of posts. More that the time active on the forum, this numbers tells me something about the user: is he/she active? in which topics?.... Now I know this number is not the "real number", this method will not be 100% useful for me. too bad :(

You can still get a measure of the member's activity by clicking the Find button under their message. You then can see what topics they are participating in and the dates. This will give you a good guide to their activity.
chanellejoann

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: chanellejoann

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 03:26 PM

I was just thinking about this because I joined postcrossing back in 2010. I am sporadically active because I am in college/work, etc and every time I come back to start participating more it shows I'm a new member. Which is fine but when I want to participate in certain round robins, I'm not able to fully because it shows I'm a "new member". Such as the OFFERS & REQUESTS RR. I can't host a group until I "prove myself" (for the 20th time) by joining 2 groups and making sure they receive my cards. It's a little frustrating but I understand there is probably not a way around it.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 01:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chanellejoann  
I was just thinking about this because I joined postcrossing back in 2010. I am sporadically active because I am in college/work, etc and every time I come back to start participating more it shows I'm a new member. Which is fine but when I want to participate in certain round robins, I'm not able to fully because it shows I'm a "new member". Such as the OFFERS & REQUESTS RR. I can't host a group until I "prove myself" (for the 20th time) by joining 2 groups and making sure they receive my cards. It's a little frustrating but I understand there is probably not a way around it.

I have lowered the message count needed to display the status 'Member'.

New member now only shows for new members with a low message count.

Vicki
Forum Administrator
chanellejoann

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: chanellejoann

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 05:30 PM

Thank you!!

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  
Quote: Originally posted by chanellejoann  

I have lowered the message count needed to display the status 'Member'.

New member now only shows for new members with a low message count.

Vicki
Forum Administrator

Go To Top

Imprint