Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How to write a good penpal ad (includes links to penpal sites)
Aurore

Country Flag:
France

France

Mood: relieved & happy!!!

[*] posted on 31-10-2008 at 10:39 AM

http://www.penpalsnow.com is also a good website to find penpals (especially from the US)!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
JulieD

Country Flag:
United States

United States

Mood: :frog:

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Buffheart
Thanks for all the sites, but how do you trust them? I don't want to post my address on unknown site like that because I don't want some perv to see it. Then again, I suppose I suppose I already give out my address here...

With a lot of the sites I've been to, you just use an email address. That way you can write back and forth by email to see if the person is a good match for you. Only then would you exchange addresses. :)
maroni

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2009 at 07:43 PM

I have two interested links.

http://www.stichting-inside-outside.org

http://www.voiceforinmates.com (do not be fooled by the first impression of this website (datingsite). The initial idea works).
moodycow

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom

Mood: chillin!

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 08:11 PM

Just thought i would share this brill penpal website with you

http://www.interpals.net

I enjoy it and have made many penpals through it, hope you do to! :)
FairyFoot

Country Flag:
Wales

Wales
Postcrossing Username: FairyFoot

Mood: 11+ years on Postcrossing!

[*] posted on 1-6-2009 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurore
http://www.penpalsnow.com is also a good website to find penpals (especially from the US)!

I seem to get a lot of "spam" via this one - Africa scams. Also, those that don't read your profile and are looking for more than penfriendship. Haven't yet had a genuine reply.

Latest one:
Quote:

Greetings my dear,
How are you today? hope all is well with you, sorry to worry you with my Proposal for a relationship, but I beleive that you will grant my request in good faith and understanding,

My name is [name removed], I just went through your profile at penpalsnow.com, and I have no options than letting you know that I am interested in having a relationship with you,
If you don't mind, i would like to establish a good relationship with you in a true love,
you can send an email to my private email address [email address removed], so that I can send you more details about myself with my picture.

I believe we can move from here. But bear in mind that Love has no colors barrier, no educational back ground barrier, no social-economic barrier, naither religious, language, nationality or distance barrier, the only important thing is understanding, caring and love.
I am waiting for your positive respond,
Yours Sincerely new friend, [name removed].
redjarl

Country Flag:
Israel

Israel
Postcrossing Username: redjarl

Mood: Hope is the thing with feathers

[*] posted on 31-7-2009 at 12:06 AM

One question: do you have the same avatar there?
Synnin

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia

Mood: new job, new life, new city, old Love.

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 02:53 PM

LOL Alice :D
twistingoak

Country Flag:
USA

USA

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 03:02 PM

Then's when you write back and attach a picture of say an 80 year old man and tell him how much you appreciate his offer and are looking forward to marriage.
marcopolo

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: marcopolo

Mood: collecting passports.. do you have an expired one you don't need?

[*] posted on 12-4-2010 at 09:09 PM

ok..this is not exactely a penpal site but it makes possible to get in touch with people from all over the world who love learning languages. It works according to the tandem criteria: you teach your language to another person who will teach you his/hers.

http://www.sharedtalk.com/
_earth_vs_soup_

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: earth_vs_soup

Mood: can't wait for tomorrow

[*] posted on 5-9-2010 at 05:48 PM

The listing in the first post could stand to be updated. Unfortunately Nanou's Penpal Corner looks to have never reopened after maintenance, and Mom Penpals Worldwide has been deleted.
busweet

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: busweet

Mood: Lots of time on my hands for writing letters!

[*] posted on 25-9-2010 at 03:20 AM

My favorite penpal site is http://www.sassociations.net! I have found a LOT of great penpals here. Most people list several interests and write something about themselves, so you can find out if you are interested before writing the person.
Lettering

Country Flag:
Spain

Spain
Postcrossing Username: Lettering

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 06:44 PM

These are tips for letter-writing rather than how to post an ad, but hopefully someone out there will find these helpful when writing a letter:

http://penpallingandletters.blogspot.com/p/tips-to-write-letters.ht...
jayemarie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: jayem

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 12:12 AM

Can I just re-plug interpals.net? Definitely my favorite. It's the most high-tech site I've seen, and has a seemingly endless supply of fascinating people as members!

I'd also like to say something about writing a good penpal ad--it's always helpful to see what kind of correspondence someone is searching for (if it's something specific): do you always want to write 10-page-plus letters? Do you type or handwrite your letters? Do you think pretty, decorated letters are important? Are you impatient with pals who take more than a certain amount of time to write back?

giudiki

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy

[*] posted on 17-5-2011 at 09:35 AM

I don't understand if http://www.ipfworld.com/index.html is free or not. Could you help me?
escamilla

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 26-5-2011 at 09:06 PM

Thanks. I'm new here, but from years of experience on penpal sites and elsewhere, I can confirm that these directions are sorely needed. =)
moorlicht

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: moorlicht

[*] posted on 31-1-2012 at 10:24 AM

Thx for your ideas Julie ^^. I write a post with very small text for a postcard pal. Now I go and change it ;)
icl

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: ICL

Mood: : )

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 03:00 PM

Hello I've been a very happy Postcrossings Member for around a year and a half, I've had nothing but super nice experiences with the members. I have also tried playing around with other PenPal sites, mostly no luck. Interpals is nice in that they have good screening controls - you can block individuals or whole countries.

I was excited to read this thread, to discover this forum, really, because I have been hoping to connect with a Swede I could do some language exchange with. I have posted on the appropriate thread here (some hits, but no replies) so I tried looking into the sites recommended at the start of this thread. I know these sites are not 'officially' endorsed by Postcrossing, but the fact they were used and liked by members here, where I feel safe, was a good reason to try with confidence. I went for PenPals International. Perhaps when you posted the site a few years ago it was good, but it has deteriorated since then. It was very hard to navigate, clunky, the site had errors in the language, and was flooded with people with six hours asking for me "forever friendship my lovely". That's the nicest thing I would share on here. It was pretty upsetting. So I am writing to say I don't recommend Pen Pals International. Perhaps I am too thin skinned and should just ignore them and keep working to find the genuine people, who are probably on there, but I felt vulnerable and nervous about my information (like my address and email which they insist you give out to register). So I deleted the account. I will try shardedtalk as that seems to be good for language exchange, and I have not heard of it. I appreciate people taking the time to put up their experiences and thoughts to help us find good connections so we can happily write! Thanks :)
RuihanWang

Country Flag:
China

China
Postcrossing Username: RuihanWang

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 04:35 PM

it is nice of you
sarasherra

Country Flag:
Egypt

Egypt
Postcrossing Username: sarasherra

Mood: Hopeful

[*] posted on 18-9-2012 at 08:33 AM

Thank you for the tips ^.^
TwoBirds

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: TwoBirds

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 07:51 PM

I came across a rather terrific little magazine dedicated to penpals, yesterday. It is the first issue so it has a lot of information for new penpal enthusiasts (or those considering it), how-to's, penpal etiquette, resources, etc. It has a flavor that should appeal to penpallers of all ages (especially females). I was amazed at how fun and well put together it was, and thought some of you might enjoy it also. Here is the link: http://www.joomag.com/magazine/postal-travels-magazine-feb-2013/099...
rookery

Country Flag:
Portugal

Portugal
Postcrossing Username: rookery

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 01:32 AM

Something that I always like is when people say something about their interests -- favourite books and movies, their hobbies, and so on. I don't necessarily look for people who like the exact same things (although that is nice too) but it helps me get an idea of what the person is like and if I find something intriguing or interesting I definitely start talking to them.

Quote: Originally posted by icl  
Hello I've been a very happy Postcrossings Member for around a year and a half, I've had nothing but super nice experiences with the members. I have also tried playing around with other PenPal sites, mostly no luck. Interpals is nice in that they have good screening controls - you can block individuals or whole countries.

I was excited to read this thread, to discover this forum, really, because I have been hoping to connect with a Swede I could do some language exchange with. I have posted on the appropriate thread here (some hits, but no replies) so I tried looking into the sites recommended at the start of this thread. I know these sites are not 'officially' endorsed by Postcrossing, but the fact they were used and liked by members here, where I feel safe, was a good reason to try with confidence. I went for PenPals International. Perhaps when you posted the site a few years ago it was good, but it has deteriorated since then. It was very hard to navigate, clunky, the site had errors in the language, and was flooded with people with six hours asking for me "forever friendship my lovely". That's the nicest thing I would share on here. It was pretty upsetting. So I am writing to say I don't recommend Pen Pals International. Perhaps I am too thin skinned and should just ignore them and keep working to find the genuine people, who are probably on there, but I felt vulnerable and nervous about my information (like my address and email which they insist you give out to register). So I deleted the account. I will try shardedtalk as that seems to be good for language exchange, and I have not heard of it. I appreciate people taking the time to put up their experiences and thoughts to help us find good connections so we can happily write! Thanks :)

I don't know if you're still looking for some good tandem sites, but I knew a few a while ago. I'm not sure if they fit into this thread, but if they don't, I can PM you some links that have worked for me in the past.

I'm pretty sure that sites asking you for your e-mail address is completely normal, most of them do so they can verify that you're not going to spam them and so you can retrieve your password if you lose it. Still, I'd be very creeped out if they asked me for my home address, so I completely understand!
Nissus

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Nissus

smile.gif posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:40 AM

Does anyone know of a really good template to use when posting a penpal request? Like, I used to look at a penpal group on Livejournal and a lot of people used very similar templates to list their interests and what they are looking for, I was wondering if we had anything like that? Thanks and hope everyone is having a good day! //Mary
Ozdust

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Ozdust

Mood: Just sent off some great tags!

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mingshu  

http://www.penpalpost.com

This now directs to a Spam site
eduardobr6161

Country Flag:
Brazil

Brazil
Postcrossing Username: eduardobr61

[*] posted on 29-4-2017 at 08:31 PM

I have found my penpals on https://www.penpaland.com
koikoigrace

Postcrossing Username: koikoigrace

[*] posted on 21-2-2019 at 10:54 AM

i recommend this website https://www.letspal.com Learning english and make friends
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint