Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Would you like to know the exprired cards that were addressed to you?
yes, I'd love to know
--- 282 (80.8%)
no, I don't want to know
--- 47 (13.47%)
I don't care --- 20 (5.73%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Would you like to know the exprired cards that were addressed to you?
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 24-10-2009 at 09:01 PM

I wouldn't want to know. As others have said, it would only make me sad to see what I never received, especially if there were cards from countries I never received anything else from. I still wouldn't get them, so what's the point?
woven
formerly known as Manji

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: woven

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 18-11-2009 at 02:07 PM

Yeah, I would. :P I don't need to know the ID or the sender's name; I just would like to know the country. :)
toucans

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: toucans

Mood: Still addicted to postcards!!

[*] posted on 28-2-2010 at 12:04 PM

I voted yes. In fact a couple of years back I started a similar thread. There's a huge gap between my sent and received cards, so I guess a lot of cards were sent to me which didn't arrive, or maybe other users requested an address, got mine and never sent the cards. It would be interesting to know if there are particular countries from which postcards are sent and which do not arrive.

Yesterday I had a message from a user in Russia who said she/he had sent me a card 90 days ago which had not been registered. They wanted me to register it then they would send another card. Naturally I said I would only register a card I received.
yvi-1

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2010 at 02:02 PM

So, I guess I have to ask, why. Why? What does knowing this information get you? Does it give you any actionable information? While, in theory, I could bring up an obvious problem with my postal system, I would specifically need to know that the postcard was sent and I am sure that is something that we will never know.

I like statistics like many others but this is one case where the information seems quite useless for the average member to know. My sent/received statistics are great because I can share that information with people who don't Postcross. For instance, I find it astonishing that Finland has so many active users and send so many postcards. I love to tell people this. The stats page is also great to see which countries are "missing".

On the other hand, this expired postcard information would be quite useful for the people who run the Postcrossing site. They could use it to try to reach out to certain countries more by improving the help/about pages. For instance, it may be the case that most expired postcards are actually never sent (no matter what country). So there might be something the admins can do to try to minimize this. Perhaps postcards sent to certain countries go missing quite a bit. This could indicate that either receivers are not registering or their addresses are messed up. Again, the admins can try to address this problem through help.

What I don't see, is how the information about expired postcards is useful to the average member other than to very likely bring up bad feelings.

More generally if you knew that about 500 postcards expired daily originating quite equally with the normal distribution of countries, how would that add to your experience of Postcrossing?
Mickaela

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: Mickaela

Mood: Life is hard but it's unique

[*] posted on 28-2-2010 at 11:17 PM

yvi-1, I'm sure the Postcrossing team have some way of looking at the expired cards count... but since, as you said, we will never know which cards were actually sent and lost, and which were never sent, I guess they can't really utilize the information anyway :(
szirmaik

Country Flag:
Hungary

Hungary
Postcrossing Username: szirmaik

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 12:56 AM

First I voted yes - but now I'm not that sure... imagine, you would get to know that your address was drawn by a user from an exotic country who has never sent the card afterwards! I think I would get a heart attack in this situation... so maybe it's better to stay in blissful ignorance :D
Charliebug

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Charliebug

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 02:31 AM

I don't know if this is covered anywhere else in the forum but it could relate to some unregistered cards discussed here. I've just recently learned that it's not a good idea to address an envelope or postcard to Asia using cursive writing - particularly to China and Japan. This is especially true if you are sending to a village rather than a large city. I'm not sure about other Asian countries. I have been advised to type and print out the address and stick it on the envelope or postcard.

yvi-1

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 02:54 AM

For countries using an alphabet other than Latin letters, it would be great if members put two addresses on their profile - one in Latin letters and one in their native language. For those of us who choose to print the addresses with a printer, we are assured that the native language address is recognized by the local postal workers. Many folks don't like to print addresses out so the Latin letter address is necessary (also for admins to be able to verify a correct address).
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 03:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yvi-1  
For countries using an alphabet other than Latin letters, it would be great if members put two addresses on their profile - one in Latin letters and one in their native language. For those of us who choose to print the addresses with a printer, we are assured that the native language address is recognized by the local postal workers. Many folks don't like to print addresses out so the Latin letter address is necessary (also for admins to be able to verify a correct address).

This already happens. Many have the 2 as their address. I have printed the address and cut off the 'latin' one and glued the non-latin one to the postcard. I have struck it with Chinese, Japanese and Russian members I have sent a postcard to.

The main thing to remember is that you need to write in ENGLISH the country name at the bottom so it gets out of your country and into the right mailbag for the destination country.
yvi-1

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 04:02 AM

Yes, I have received such addresses. I should have said "it would be great if MORE members". Definitely the country needs to be in the native language or the sender. I often get postcards from Russia where "USA" is written in their language.
yvi-1

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 07:43 AM

@jalutaja: And as I said, you would need to know for sure that the postcard was sent to make this decision. Perhaps every single expired postcard to you was never sent. I would say that is more an administration issue. To be sure a postcard was sent to you, you would need to contact the member who received your address. Apart from the fact that I doubt that piece of information would ever be given to you (because people would be hounded by private messages), there is much more information that is necessary to make the decision of getting a PO Box - like does mail get lost in my country at a higher rate than other places; does mail get lost in the sending country at a higher rate than other countries; is the lost mail specific to your mail distribution center; etc. In the end, getting a PO Box based on # of expired postcards (without any additional information) will not likely help the situation.
carolisha

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: carolisha

Mood: ask me for my new address!! ;)

[*] posted on 20-9-2010 at 06:33 AM

I would like to know it, too. It would be interesting to see how many postcards were expired ... but as I read in other comments, it is not possible to figure out if the postcard has ever been sent or not ... This will always be an unsolved riddle........
allezn

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: allezn

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 02:04 AM

I'd like to know, simply because I love the knowledge, hahah, if that makes sense. It just makes me happy to know that there's someone out there who send me postcard(s). Whether the postcard(s) manage to arrive safely at my mailbox or not is a different matter. Of course I'm ecstatic when they do, but if they fail to do so, well, then it's part of the snail mail experience, I guess.

Sometimes I imagine the lost postcards aren't truly lost, but merely are found by some people and brighten their days even for a bit.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 06:26 PM

People are curious by nature. So in one way, it would be interesting to see a "travelling to me list". BUT, I'd rather not see the list, as I would be sooo disapointed if a travelling postcard were from a rare and exotic country!
Bluepoppy

Country Flag:
Great Britain

Great Britain
Postcrossing Username: bluepoppy

[*] posted on 15-12-2013 at 10:39 PM

a) I am curious
b) my theory is that many more expired cards are caused through inactive/disinterested/or cheaters than through the post office losing them, so it would be very interesting to see if my theory is correct or not
Quahtreenuh

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Quahtreenuh

Mood: amused

[*] posted on 15-12-2013 at 11:54 PM

I said yes but what I really mean is that if someone has me listed on their profile in an expired list, I would want to know that. Not that I have any idea what I would do about it.
ColorfulCourtney
formerly known as cdeinesj

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: ColorfulCourtney

Mood: =^..^= =^..^= =^..^=

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 08:15 PM

I'm about to have my first sent card expire -- tomorrow. Another will probably follow in a couple of days. In both cases the user is active and I'm sure the card just went astray. I think one card to me also is lost or stuck in transit.

I would like to know mostly because I could then check to make 100% totally sure I didn't absent-mindedly file something away without registering it, but also so that I could maybe contact the user. Lots of users scan their postcards, some front and back, so at least I could get a scan of what they had meant to sent me. I know if someone asked me for the same I'd be more than happy to send it.
YOIYUMTEWA

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: YOIYUMTEWA

Mood: content

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 09:44 PM

I don't know if I want/need to know about cards that were supposedly sent to me, but never arrive.

But I do register cards as soon as they arrive.

When a card expires, I think BOTH of the people, the receiver and sender, should have their names thrown back into the pot to receive a card.

Granted, if someone is trying to "game the system" and not really send a card, then it get automatically credited as a sent card upon expiration, they will then get their name put in to receive a card.

But if they HAVE actually sent a card, it could actually be lost in the mails, or the receiver has gone inactive or is just not registering cards.

In any of these cases, the card will disappear forever from postcrossing at the end of a year. Why not actually credit that card to the sender at that time? If the sender is trying to "game the system" they will have to wait for over a year to get a card.

If the sender is an active and honest user, they will be sending and receiving other cards during that year, and these disappeared cards being credited to them, at last, will be a reward of sorts.

Roadrunner73

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Roadrunner73

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 11:47 AM

As there is such a big difference between sent and received cards on my account, it really would be interesting to know about those cards who have never reached me.

But as someone said before, it would be depressing to know that there are cards from exotic places which have been lost on their way.
Retha

Country Flag:
South Africa

South Africa
Postcrossing Username: LovesTheWorld

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by scrutiny  
at the same time, it seems a little one-sided to keep on promoting the number of postcards successfully arrived through this project, but not mention a thing about the ones that don't arrive. It's a bit like a company that only publishes the yearly profits without outlining the departments that downsized or lost money.

I sort of agree.

I would like Postcrossing to give stats on:
a) The amount of cards arriving through the project
b) the amount of addresses sent out
c) The amount of first-time fail card numbers (people who register and never send, thus getting nothing. This is not a loss for the person whose address they drew, because his/ her address goes into the pool again when the card expires.)
d) The amount of non-arrivals from people who have sent cards that arrived.
heli89

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: heli89

[*] posted on 19-8-2015 at 04:56 PM

I just want to know if a card to me expires if the sender wants to send me a second "compensation card".
Otherwise I would not want to know that a card to me expired. I would be sad if I knew that it was a card from an exotic country or a card with a special picture, just chosen for me...

Some weeks ago I got a mail from a postcrosser who wrote that a card he sent to me expired, he told me the ID and asked me if I wanted to register it anyway. I told him that I just register cards that really arrive and asked him for another card. It was no problem for him to send me a second card and that one arrived and I registered it. :)
I also ask people if they just forgot to register a card and if they want to recieve a second card when a card that I sent to them expires. Especially when they are active members.

So I think it is a matter of communication and depends on the individual case. ;)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint