Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: holidays
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 29-10-2012 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Crankypants  
I think it is fine to send cards from different countries. I am sure people would rather get a card from where I holiday rather from Australia.

What makes you so sure? Underestimation of Australian cards or extremely cool holiday destinations? ;)
meinherzsprichtstaub

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: meinherzsprichtstaub

[*] posted on 29-10-2012 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
I am sure people would rather get a card from where I holiday rather from Australia.

I would love to get a card from Australia! :D
I guess people may think like this about their home country (since it's all normal and boring to them), but for other people in the world your country might just be one of the most interesting and exotic countries in the world! :D
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2012 at 02:35 PM

Yeah, getting a card from Australia is awesome. When I was a kid, that was my number 1 travel destination. Now I have broaden my options, but I still think Australia is pretty cool.

Of course, I don't know where you are going on vacation, might be somewhere much cooler. But then again, it's all a question of perspective.
Zwiebelbaguette

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Zwiebelbaguette

Mood: "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

[*] posted on 3-11-2012 at 01:05 AM

Hm... I think it depends on the country you're visiting during your vacation. Let's take Crankypants for example, who's living in Australia, it seems quite a few of us would love to receive a card from Down Under, including me. Talking about myself, if Crankypants were to go on vacation in a "rare" country by postcrossing standarts, receiving a card from this land might be very exiting for me, but if Crankypants were to go on vacation in... I don't know the Netherlands, Germany or the US, it would be more exiting to receive a card that was sent from Australia.
No offense guys, I received many wonderful cards from wonderful people from the US and the Netherlands, it's just that I received less cards from Australia and if an Australian user were to get my adress, it would be more exiting if the card came from Australia, too. That's all. :)

About 3 weeks ago, I received a card that was bought in Austria from a russian Postcrosser, who was there on vacation and decited to send it to me from the Czech Republic while she was on her way back to Russia. I though this was actually quite funny. :D
lieena

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: lieena

[*] posted on 16-11-2012 at 03:22 PM

You can ask somebody to receive your mail. My parents have received mine for a year when I was studying. They got me ID and I registered cards (saw them during visit home). But I sent cards from the place I studied. I think it was good idea :)
Albacazapada

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Albacazapada

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 12:52 PM

Hi Everybody!
I "move" to New Zealand for 3 months and I would like to continue with postcrossing during this time. So I am going to set my profile to inactive and as I have already read here I am able to continue sending post cards. BUT isn´t it better to change my adress (well, I am travelling around so the adress is only a few days correct and so I don´t "want" to receive cards there...) and be member of New Zealand than of Austria?
Ultrawoman

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Ultrawoman

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 03:40 PM

I thnk it's better to change to inactive a few weeks before leaving.
If you change address, even if you stay at the same address for the whole period, you have to stop and inactive a few weeks before leaving also.
My experience is not everybody send righ after asking an address and it turns out I received cards in another country even when I was moved 4 months ago and had my profile inactive 4 weeks before the leave.

setting inactive a while before will give you all the cards you receive without losing somewhere you don't know, and senders don't have to wait 3 months on the registration.

you can keep sending anyhow.

Have a really good time down there!
Albacazapada

Country Flag:
Austria

Austria
Postcrossing Username: Albacazapada

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 03:56 PM

Ok many thanks for that advice :) Profile is already inactive.
I think it´s going to be great there ;)
HoustonJack

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: HoustonJack

[*] posted on 28-5-2013 at 01:38 PM

I'm a little late joining this thread but I want to add my two cents worth on one issue.

On whether to send a card from your holiday/vacation destination or not: it depends on the recipients desires if so stated. If the person you are sending a card to states on their profile they would prefer cards from your local area I am sure they would prefer you honor that rather than send a card from some resort town you have no connection to. Keep in mind there are probably Postcrossers living in these holiday destinations who are quite capable of sending cards of their hometown that will likely capture what that community is really all about better than someone who spent a few days there.

Black_wind

Country Flag:
Slovakia

Slovakia
Postcrossing Username: Black_wind

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 11:11 AM

I was studying in Czech republic for a year but i never stopped postcrossing. My parents or brother immediately sent me IDs in FB messages and then later were showing me the postcards during our Skype chats. I was never sending postcards from Czech republic though. I only requested addresses while i was at home. It was quite a slow year but...(here comes the other part of the dilemma) I didn't want to give people Czech postcards with Slovak ID (nor i wanted to change my address/country.I thought about making Czech account but it didn't happen in the end). I personally prefer postcards from the country matching the ID. But it happened to me like twice that i got different ones (Bulgarian ID-postcard from the UK f.e)...but it's not like it's some tragedy.Whatever postcards make me happy:cool:
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 02:41 PM

I do a little of both

I buy cards when I am away and send some when I am away and send some when I am home. If someone says they want a card from my home country, they will get one as I always carry a few with me in my luggage. It may be mailed from Portugal but it is a Canadian card if that is what they like.

I get addresses when I am away (I always have some form of computer with me) and I have a friend either e-mail me the ID's of cards that arrive or register them for me.

No one has complained so far - but maybe they are too polite to complain.

Quote: Originally posted by HoustonJack  
I'm a little late joining this thread but I want to add my two cents worth on one issue.

On whether to send a card from your holiday/vacation destination or not: it depends on the recipients desires if so stated. If the person you are sending a card to states on their profile they would prefer cards from your local area I am sure they would prefer you honor that rather than send a card from some resort town you have no connection to. Keep in mind there are probably Postcrossers living in these holiday destinations who are quite capable of sending cards of their hometown that will likely capture what that community is really all about better than someone who spent a few days there.

FrikandelMetAjvar
also was Larischka

Country Flag:
Montenegro

Montenegro
Postcrossing Username: FrikandelMetAjvar

Mood: I've got fresh air to breathe in, I've got sunshine on my skin

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 04:43 PM

It's really just a thing that depends on the countries, the one the ID is from, the one where the card is sent from and the one which is depicted on the card.

Like, when I send cards while on vacation, I never worry about postcrossers possibly not being satisfied with how the ID doesn't match the postmark - they're probably getting enough cards with a German ID sent from Germany to plaster their walls with them, so one or two sent from Montenegro, Serbia, Luxembourg etc won't hurt. (My vacation greetings from all of these countries were well appreciated!)

Vice versa it would be reasonable to be very disappointed when receiving a, let's say, German card from a postcrosser who's originally from one of the more "hard-to-get" countries.
piscean

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: piscean

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by FrikandelMetAjvar  
it would be reasonable to be very disappointed when receiving a, let's say, German card from a postcrosser who's originally from one of the more "hard-to-get" countries.

True. I have to say I felt quite disappointed once when I received a Dutch card from a postcrosser with a Swedish ID.

The most unusual instance, though, was when I received a "wrong country" card from a postcrosser in a not-so-common country (Ireland) but the card was from an even rarer country (Uzbekistan)!...
nisnoopy3

Country Flag:
Malaysia

Malaysia
Postcrossing Username: nisnoopy3

Mood: ❤ Mukuro (Reborn!) & ♡Shogo Makishima 【Psycho-Pass】

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 12:49 PM

Me as well. I have gotten a Belgium ID but the card is sent from her neighbouring country, Netherlands. :(

And this sender is trying to save some postage money by sending it from the neighbouring country, Germany (ID is from Switzerland) :mad:

Once, I received an envelope from a well-known country. But the sender sent 3 Ethiopian cards to me! The sender travel to Ethiopia often because of work. After a close inspection, I found out that the Ethiopian cards are printed using printing service and the photos are taken by the sender. Haha! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :smilegrin:

The sender did travel to Ethiopia often though :)
sofke8868

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: sofke8868

[*] posted on 28-8-2013 at 06:58 AM

I don't think the Netherlands has cheaper postage rates than Belgium... perhaps this user is just living near the border and goes often to the Netherlands... but even then... it would never occur to me to send a card with a Belgian ID from another country...

As for the Ethiopian cards, I can imagine there aren't many postcards available... I've been to sub-saharan Africa, which doesn't seem to have cards at all! The only ones I found were cards from tourist resorts (with a lot of publicity for the resorts) sold for 2,50€ a piece... I didn't bother to buy any :)

sk8ermum

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: sk8ermum

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 01:38 PM

Not quite related to Holidays, but as good as.
One of my sent postcards have gone to a girl in one country. She changes her country a few times a year as she lives in two different ones. My postcard went to her 'home' address, where her parents live. She lives/studies in another country.
She says if cards were sent to her home address, she will register it next time she's home... As it's been about 40 days, I asked how long till next time she's home. She says her mother said she has a few cards waiting.. Great!!

However, if that was me, I'd ask my mother to give me the number to register these cards, instead of waiting till I get home? (Will have been 8 weeks away at least when she goes home).

I stress if I go all day without registering my cards.. LOL So I'd feel mega guilty doing it this way... I don't mind she doing it so much, but it's gonna expire before she gets to register it.

Any thoughts?
AnneTanne

Country Flag:
Belgium

Belgium
Postcrossing Username: AnneTanne

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sofke8868  
I don't think the Netherlands has cheaper postage rates than Belgium... perhaps this user is just living near the border and goes often to the Netherlands...

Well, as a matter of facts, it really is cheaper to send from the Netherlands than from Belgium. For countries outside of Europe you pay 1 Euro in the Netherlands, 1.25 in Belgium. So by sending from the Netherlands you might be able to send 5 cards for the price of 4. And in the Netherlands you have websites like 'postzegelsmetkorting.nl' where you can buy discounted stamps, so you only pay 0.90 for an oversees postcard.

I live near the border, and I work in the Netherlands, so I might be tempted to send from the Netherlands (which I often do for other international post). But so far, I haven't done it yet for postcrossing, because I know Belgium is 'rarer' than the Netherlands, and the addressee might be disappointed...
blu1984

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: blu1984

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 10:16 AM

One question:
I'm leaving tomorrow to Dubai and will be on a cruise for 7 days in Arab Emirates, Oman & Bahrain.
I will send some cards from the ship, which will be posted then in one of those countries but with a German ID.

Any comments? Would you be happy?
THX
rjmom

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: rjmom

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 12:31 PM

I would love to get a card from Dubai, Arab Emirates, Oman, Bahrain from you. I most likely would not get a card from those countries, and you are traveling there so it has some connection to you otherwise. I just received a Cambodian card from a Taiwanese Postcrosser who had just traveled there. I was thrilled! Enjoy your cruise; it sounds exciting.
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

[*] posted on 20-11-2013 at 01:36 PM

As Germany is a fairly common country in the Postcrossing world, I don't think the vast majority of Postcrossers would be upset with a card sent in the way you described. I would not do it, though, if the profile specifically says "only cards from your country," or something to that effect.

LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-11-2013 at 04:01 AM

Well it happened to me today. I got my first postcard with a Turkish ID. The stamps are Turkish so I'm pretty sure it was mailed from Turkey. It is a picture of a street organ in Amsterdam. http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/TR-157697

I'm not surprised as a postcrosser from Turkey told me how much difficulty he has finding postcards in Istanbul.
cawindt

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: cawindt

[*] posted on 21-11-2013 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LyndaC  
Well it happened to me today. I got my first postcard with a Turkish ID. The stamps are Turkish so I'm pretty sure it was mailed from Turkey. It is a picture of a street organ in Amsterdam. http://www.postcrossing.com/postcards/TR-157697

I'm not surprised as a postcrosser from Turkey told me how much difficulty he has finding postcards in Istanbul.

That's odd. I have received many cards with Turkish IDs of Turkey itself. Turkey produces amazingly beautiful cards. I can't imagine that there's an issue finding cards, especially in Istanbul.
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 05:10 PM

Well this month my cards are Canadian but the stamps are American. (Haven't found any American cards yet). During the worst weather to hit Canada and the northern USA in years I have been relaxing near Dallas, Texas and I am not returning until the end of January. I am spending the next two weeks in San Padre Island on the Gulf of Mexico coast.
beija-flor

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: beija-flor

[*] posted on 16-2-2014 at 12:15 PM

I also was wondering abou this :) I'm new to postcrossing.

I personally wouldn't mind getting a postcard which is from a country that doesn't match the ID.
When I travelled to Chile e.g. I sent postcards from there which is probably more exotic than Germany (my home country) - 2 of them got registert and I think they were more appreciated than my german cards lol (one said it was the coolest card she got via PC though it was just a ordinary tourist card). It probably also depends on whether the card's origin country is exotic or not. When I went to the Netherlands I also sent cards from the NL but only to Russian adresses (to dutch adresses I would have sent german cards).
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 21-2-2014 at 02:24 PM

I tend to bring some Canadian cards with me and if it is a new postcrosser or one who hasn't got a card from Canada then I send a Canadian card. I also check to see if they say they only want cards from your country. If those two items don't apply then I send a card from my vacation.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

Imprint