Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: holidays
elikoa

Postcrossing Username: elikoa
Member Is Online

Mood: Impatiently waiting for some postal action

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 01:08 PM

On the other hand, I am also considering changing my settings to send within the country where I live (UK) when I'm away, I imagine British users would prefer a poster from another country than from within the UK :) (of course it all depends if I get any British addresses during that time).
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 01:12 PM

Slightly off topic but it doesn't quite seem worth it of its own thread: when people say they want postcards from UNESCO World Heritage sites, is this a specific series, or any postcards from any of those sites? My home town is one, so I'd imagine people would like a postcard from there...even sometimes regardless of where I post it from...
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elikoa  
Slightly off topic but it doesn't quite seem worth it of its own thread: when people say they want postcards from UNESCO World Heritage sites, is this a specific series, or any postcards from any of those sites? My home town is one, so I'd imagine people would like a postcard from there...even sometimes regardless of where I post it from...

I think the question is better suited for the Questions & Answers thread, but anyway...

Any postcard showing an UNESCO World Heritage Site will qualiy as an UNESCO postcard.
Norway_girl

Country Flag:
Norway

Norway
Postcrossing Username: Norway_girl

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 01:51 PM

On the other hand, I am also considering changing my settings to send within the country where I live (UK) when I'm away, I imagine British users would prefer a poster from another country than from within the UK :) (of course it all depends if I get any British addresses during that time).

I can only answer for myself here. But I've set my profile to also send and receive within Norway because I actually want to receive postcards from Norway as well. If I did not want to receive postcards from other places in Norway, I would not have ticked that option. And I would guess that there are other members out there that send within their own country for the same reason. If a Norwegian postcrosser sent me a non-Norwegian view because (s)he believed that I would rather receive a postcard not from my country, I would probably be a bit dissapointed.
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Norway_girl  

I think the question is better suited for the Questions & Answers thread, but anyway...

Any postcard showing an UNESCO World Heritage Site will qualiy as an UNESCO postcard.

Ah, thanks. I will head to that other threads for future questions :)
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Norway_girl  

I can only answer for myself here. But I've set my profile to also send and receive within Norway because I actually want to receive postcards from Norway as well. If I did not want to receive postcards from other places in Norway, I would not have ticked that option. And I would guess that there are other members out there that send within their own country for the same reason. If a Norwegian postcrosser sent me a non-Norwegian view because (s)he believed that I would rather receive a postcard not from my country, I would probably be a bit dissapointed.

Hm true. I guess I saw it from my perspective where for now I don't care too much about postcards from the rest of the UK, or to send within the UK. I might change that in the future for variety.
(I just have this picture in mind that if I sent within my country I wouldn't send views but more like illustrations and things like that. Don't know why, I guess the UK doesn't excite me much after having lived here a long time :/ you just reminded me that people might want views from their own country too... :))

So it goes back to the wider context of whether people like to receive holiday postcards or not.
chrisy

Country Flag:
England

England
Postcrossing Username: chris_y

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 07:52 PM

Hm true. I guess I saw it from my perspective where for now I don't care too much about postcards from the rest of the UK, or to send within the UK. I might change that in the future for variety.
(I just have this picture in mind that if I sent within my country I wouldn't send views but more like illustrations and things like that. Don't know why, I guess the UK doesn't excite me much after having lived here a long time :/ you just reminded me that people might want views from their own country too... :))

So it goes back to the wider context of whether people like to receive holiday postcards or not.

I'm in the UK too (hi! /waves) and I selected that option after being on here a few months. I had a few reasons, but mostly I thought I might get cards from Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland in addition to the usual ones from more exotic locations.
Incidentally, most of my UK cards have come from England and I don't think any of them were viewcards (I did receive a nice view of Stonehenge from Russia once!)

I'd be happy to receive a non-UK card from the UK, but I think this is personal preference and you should try to judge whether the recipient would like the card. Some people are quite vocal on their "from your country only", which I take to mean they want cards from where you live (card from same country as the ID).

I send non-UK cards when I think they meet the preferences. I don't particularly like sending "tourist" cards of places I've never been to, I do it sometimes but it makes me uncomfortable. If it's a viewcard I like to write about the place depicted. Anyway, I'm drifting off the point.
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chrisy  

I send non-UK cards when I think they meet the preferences. I don't particularly like sending "tourist" cards of places I've never been to, I do it sometimes but it makes me uncomfortable. If it's a viewcard I like to write about the place depicted. Anyway, I'm drifting off the point.

Well yes it'd have to be somewhere I have been :)

I received a postcard last week from a Canadian member, sent from Canada, but the postcard was from a holiday in Cuba! Very exotic and I was happy that this person shared something about a holiday (she wrote about the holiday as well).

I also received a postcard from Japan, but it's a postcard of Spain. I admit I liked this one a little less because the postcard is very touristy and of a very popular place, and because the sender didn't write about the holiday on the back. But still, I will remain on the side of approving of holiday cards. After all, there are a lot of factors that make us like a postcard more or less. And if I happen to be on postcrossing for a long time, I will have more chances to receive more cards from Canada or Japan :)

In the meantime, I found the solution to everybody's problems (I am bein semi-serious here, I imagine there are proper reasons why this doesn't exist): there should be a Holiday ID code! So when someone is on holiday or wants to send a holiday postcard, you can select 'holiday code'and get something like HH, and it's not linked to a country.
I imagine this might be a bit against the whole concept, and more work for the admins perhaps, and I'm probably not the first one to think about it, but I'm just sharing a thought :)
Eva76

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic
Postcrossing Username: Bluefox76

[*] posted on 28-12-2016 at 11:22 AM

I like all sorts of cards and I have been quite lucky so far, as I only received one truly horrible card. Horrible for three reason: Ugly view of city (free card, smaller size than average card), person was from Russia, but card was from Slovakia, but the worst was just empty card-only Happy Postcrossing. On the other hand I received very beautiful cards with lovely stamps for Xmas with decorations on card or envelopes, I was very touched by some people care :)
Happy festive season everyone, Eva
elikoa

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 28-12-2016 at 01:14 PM

I am now away from home at my parents', in a different country. So this is also home. I decided I want to send from here and if I get someone who says they won't be happy with a card from a different country than the postcard-ID, then I can send the postcard when I'm back to where I live (next week).
But yay! I got someone who didn't seem fussy. Well she liked other things more than city views, but I have a feeling that she won't be unhappy with my card. Yay! Might buy a couple more stamps and postcards if I go to the city centre later... :)
Eva76

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic
Postcrossing Username: Bluefox76

[*] posted on 16-6-2018 at 10:57 PM

I just received American card with Caribou in Alaska.. sent from Malaysia..and I was happy :) My worse card was: blank, apart from word "hello", no nice stamp and ugly - view of some Slovakian cafe (not even real card), sent from Russia :)
gardenfaerie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: gardenfaerie

[*] posted on 25-7-2018 at 12:23 AM

Servus!!

I totally understand the mail can take a long time, and that's one thing if a person is actively recording received postcards.

But I currently have traveling postcards with two people who have not checked into postcrossing for six days each and one person who has not checked in for 16 days!!

While I can't say for certain, I expect they are on holidays and unable to check and record their postcards.

This is frustrating as I can't send new postcards because these people did not set their mode to traveling.

I would kindly ask that if you know you are going to be gone for some time, to set your mode to traveling.

Thanks!
gardenfaerie

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: gardenfaerie

[*] posted on 25-7-2018 at 12:27 AM

I don't care if someone sends me a card from a country they are not from, or a Christmas card in July... it's all good.

Someone sent me a greeting card (not a postcard) which I found confusing.
aerobear

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: aerobear

Mood: I like surprises!

[*] posted on 21-10-2018 at 11:29 PM

I’ve been having the best time sending Halloween postcards this month, with related stamps (black moon, jack-o-lantern, dragons, magic, monsters). So I was delighted to stumble across a profile today for someone who loves national holidays postcards, any time of the year. That’s part of the fun of Postcrossing: discovering Postcrossers with all kinds of interests. :D
Feuerstuhl

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Feuerstuhl

Mood: I am hard as marmalade and tough as raspberry jelly

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 06:19 AM

I think this thread is out-dated as nowadays there is the TRAVEL MODE:
https://www.postcrossing.com/help/what-is-the-travel-mode

Great addition! I sent two cards from Greece that way :)

Unfortunately, not everyone knows about this feature. Deleting this topic or making a comment in the first post might help...
WhiteRainbow

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: WhiteRainbow

[*] posted on 31-3-2019 at 05:08 AM

Hello :)
I want to give my friend a present .Its possible he may visit a lot of people all over the world this year, so the idea of my present is :
I want to ask different people from the 33 ends of the world to write him a congratulations letter and send to him in Russia.
I ask you to write a short congratulations letter to my friend, please. If you are agreed I will send you a name of a friend and the necessary address.
I will be very glad if you help me to make one person even happier. :bouncy:
Danilla

Country Flag:
Ukraine

Ukraine
Postcrossing Username: Danilla11

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 02:33 PM

Sending cards maks me happy as a child!:D Sometimes I even feel more like Santa Claus!
RalfH

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: RalfH

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Feuerstuhl  
I think this thread is out-dated as nowadays there is the TRAVEL MODE:
https://www.postcrossing.com/help/what-is-the-travel-mode

Great addition! I sent two cards from Greece that way :)

Unfortunately, not everyone knows about this feature. Deleting this topic or making a comment in the first post might help...

I think this tread can be unlocked from the top for it is really outdated.
topazann

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: topazann

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 10:34 AM

I used travel mode. It is fine. I turned it off a week before I got back so there would be postcards and calendars by the time I got back.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

Imprint