Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Most of my expired cards are to Russia, anyone else?
adoptedbyachicken

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 04:27 PM
Most of my expired cards are to Russia, anyone else?

I have read in the press here about issues with their postal system. I'm sure not blaming the members but anyone else noticing the same thing? Do you resend or just leave them? I have 3 expired to Russia right now, and 9 total, my all time high.

Also I'm just curious how many cards sent to me have expired. Is there any way to look that up on the site? I know I register every one I get but wondering how many are out there lost. I did register one and from not that far away then saw that it was expired by a few days. Guess that one got held up somewhere.
yvi-1

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 04:32 PM

Answers:

1) No, my expired postcards are to everywhere around the globe including my own country.
2) No, I do not resend.
3) No, you cannot see how many postcards traveling to you have expired. The reality is that there is no way to differentiate between an expired postcard that is actually lost and a postcard that was never sent.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 01:42 AM

My experience is the same as yv1-i.

1) Expired are to different countries. Some are to people who are no longer active on postcrossing so I assume they got them but because they lost interest won't register them.

2) I never resend. I have spent my money once on a postcard and a stamp. I have fulfilled my obligation to postcrossing when I requested the address. I am not going to waste my money with a second or third sending.

3) Not available and really serves no purpose to you other than maybe make you anxious about the unreceived postcards, which you can't do anything about anyway because you don't know who sent them (if they were sent in the first place - see comment about inactive members above).

I good discussion on knowing about how many expired postcards you have coming TO YOU is found in the following thread:

https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=35692

adoptedbyachicken

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 03:35 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. Again today a news report on their postal system having problems. Sad, I hope they work it all out. I'd hate to be the one not getting the mail! I have other expired cards from all over, and in the past my cards to Russia went through fine so it's interesting that I see this change while they are in the news.

I have resent some cards that expire if the user is still active but I think now I will not anymore. Yes, the cost is a big factor.

I like the discussion on the other thread, but still think I'd like to know about my expired cards. Just curious, but I can see how some stress could result. Interesting how many numbers and facts you have to juggle to make this all work.

Thanks again!
carolisha

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: carolisha

Mood: ask me for my new address!! ;)

[*] posted on 20-9-2010 at 06:28 AM

That's really interesting ... most of my expired cards are either to China or to the USA ... =)
darkcosinus

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 03:22 PM

Yeah, something definitely had happened n the last 2 months, as my postcard sending and receiving ratio suddenly dropped. I never had any problems with sent or received cards, but now...

SENT: 2 cards stuck to Lithuania and France - more than 30 days.

(NOT)RECEIVED: cards are traveling to me from Norway and Sweden for more than 60 days now

I suppose and confirm something is definitely wrong (again, sadly) with Russian post...
debboooo

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands

[*] posted on 21-1-2011 at 07:05 PM

I've been a member since 3 months now, and I've sent 4 cards to Russia now. 2 have arrived, 2 are still on their way.
One is been traveling for 57 days now.. I think it's gonna expire.
I´m wondering how long it will take for the other card to arrive.

To bad that from all the cards I have sent (22) already one it going to expire..:snob:
projekt

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 8-7-2011 at 08:48 PM

Hm ... that's interesting. I've been a member for almost two years now, and (fortunately) not a single postcard to Russian postcrossers has expired so far. :)
cicus

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: cicus

Mood: :-@

[*] posted on 11-7-2011 at 05:53 AM

I hadn't thought about this, but counted now: 3 out of 10 expired ones are to Russia. 2 of them live far away so that's more understandable, but how can a postcard to St. Pete get expired? It's 4 hours away:mad:

Sometimes I resend if the receiver is an active member.
soilian

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: soilian

Mood: No Mood, indeed

[*] posted on 13-7-2011 at 05:11 PM

Russia isn't a big problem for me. I have 2 expired cards to it and 3 ones that have already dropped out from my sent list. USA is the black hole for me with 1 expired card and 12 "drop outs". I have sent totally 2,132 cards by now.
Nadz

Country Flag:
Malaysia

Malaysia
Postcrossing Username: Nadz

Mood: start working... less time for anything related to postal system

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 02:54 AM

so far 3 expired cards, 2 to Russia (60+ days) and 1 to Belarus(60+) days. :( Member inactive, prob with postal system or holiday season... i guess...
LyndaC

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: LyndaC

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 27-2-2013 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by darkcosinus  
Yeah, something definitely had happened n the last 2 months, as my postcard sending and receiving ratio suddenly dropped. I never had any problems with sent or received cards, but now...

SENT: 2 cards stuck to Lithuania and France - more than 30 days.

(NOT)RECEIVED: cards are traveling to me from Norway and Sweden for more than 60 days now

I suppose and confirm something is definitely wrong (again, sadly) with Russian post...

My sent and received have dropped right off the chart. In November I had 35 and 34 in February both are under 20 and only one day to go. Two more cards are within 2 days of expiring. A calendar from Russia has been in the mail for almost 2 months now and even the lotteries I have won haven't shown up yet. I can only hope that there is something in the mailbox tonight.

My expired are a mixed bag but I did have a postcard from Belarus get registered recently after 88 days so there is still hope!
soilian

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: soilian

Mood: No Mood, indeed

[*] posted on 28-2-2013 at 11:47 PM

Most of my expired postcards are going to Russia at the moment but that's only because I have had the repeated countries option on for a long time. When I have had most of my cards going to Russia it's very likely that some of them will expire as well. :)

Their postal system isn't very realible or fast. That is a known fact. Just about two weeks ago, though, one of my postcards got registered after 359 days of travelling. :) That was the original postcard I had sent almost year ago, not a replacement sent later.
jalutaja

Country Flag:
Estonia

Estonia
Postcrossing Username: jalutaja

Mood: I am a person with a worrisome difference factor

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soilian  
Most of my expired postcards are going to Russia at the moment but that's only because I have had the repeated countries option on for a long time.

Well, even with repeated country option - meaning that ALL my travelling cards are going to Russia this moment and 6 cards in row that are the latest registered are ALSO to Russia, only one of my expired cards for last year was meant to go to Russia.

I have had much more trouble with cards to USA (may-be people in USA have just less serious attitude toward the hobby?) than with cards to Russia.

Then again - while I have 118 registered sent cards to Russia, I have 220 set cards to USA - so it makes sense I have had more trouble with cards to USA than with cards to Russia
siobhan

Postcrossing Username: siobhan

[*] posted on 2-3-2013 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soilian  
Just about two weeks ago, though, one of my postcards got registered after 359 days of travelling. :) That was the original postcard I had sent almost year ago, not a replacement sent later.

Wow, that's great - and so close!

Of my 27 currently expired cards, there's only one to Russia, but two to China, Brazil, France and Taiwan, and even three to Ukraine. And that is despite the fact I occasionally send to repeated countries and thus send more to Russia than I otherwise would. But I also have expired cards to Germany, the Netherlands, Finland, UK, Estonia, Japan ... all countries with reliable and fast postal services.
rusuh

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 07:05 PM

yes, mostly my expired cards were russia and the gang
e.g lithuania, belarus, ukraine (these 3 countries used to be quite fast the postal
service but these days have been so slow)
Sophie54

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Sophie54

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 06:39 AM

Non of my cards to Russia are expired:thumbup: and I have sent 900+.
Maria-Laura

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Stuureenkaartje

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 05:32 PM
` Fire in Russian post warehouse May 2013

Hi,

Hello My name is Maria. I started 7 weeks ago with postcrossing. I already received 11 cards and waiting to sent a new ones.
Unfortunately I had to sent 4 cards to Russia which are not arrived until now.The cards are already 52-49-39-39 days “on-the-go”.
Waiting is not my strongest point so I decided to make contact with the Russian postcrossers. One of them could tell me someting very interesting.
She noticed that she get less cards since 15 May because there was a fire in a major warehouse of the Russian post.

http://www.itar-tass.com/en/c154/737089.html

Interesting to share. Maybe here is not the right place, but can the moderator tell me where else?

I am still happy with my new hobby:):D

greeting from Maria
JustKatie

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: JustKatie

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 04:16 AM

My expired cards have so far been eventually registered.

It is interesting that so many people have this problem. I think this might be part of the issue: Some countries, such as Russia and China, have translators that translate our English into their language. Really, we can't expect every mailperson to know English! So, sometimes there is a long queue, especially since both countries were in the most recent Olympic games right?
moonlightlaura

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: moonlightlaura

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:22 PM

Alot of mine have been expired from Russia and China. I had posted an idea on this issue on the suggestion board, but was attacked for the idea so I deleted it :)

Also, I do not resend postcards. If someone writes to me and ask me if I received their card and I haven't, it is there choice to resend, but I am not going to contact the people I sent to once already and ask them if they want me to resend. That is wasting my time and money.

I don't blame the members, I blame the postal service. I believe there are some thieves in the system and they could be taking the cards for themselves, or they could actually be getting lost, I dont know.

Also since I am the only USA person who has posted on this issue so far, I can attest to the postal service here. It is horrible. They don't care about mail being delivered, and I have also received several pieces of mail badly damaged beyond recognition. So yes, I agree our postal service might be the worst in the world.

Quote: Originally posted by adoptedbyachicken  
I have read in the press here about issues with their postal system. I'm sure not blaming the members but anyone else noticing the same thing? Do you resend or just leave them? I have 3 expired to Russia right now, and 9 total, my all time high.

Also I'm just curious how many cards sent to me have expired. Is there any way to look that up on the site? I know I register every one I get but wondering how many are out there lost. I did register one and from not that far away then saw that it was expired by a few days. Guess that one got held up somewhere.
rjmom

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: rjmom

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 01:51 AM

I have no expired cards to Russia. The country with the most expired cards is Germany (3). The next is Lithuania (2). Because I send a lot of cards to Germany the percentage of expired cards is relatively low, but my loss rate to Lithuania is 50%. The German Postcrossers are pretty active, so I think those cards were lost.
Turquoiseozzie

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Turquoiseozzie

[*] posted on 30-5-2014 at 11:55 PM

Most of my expired cards are to China & it doesn't seem to be the postal system. I get a lot of addresses in China where I can tell straight away the card probably won't be registered. Sadly I have similar problems with the US. Many people there seem to start out enthusiastically with Postcrossing & by the time I get their address they have lost interest. I also have problems with Taiwan sometimes. But recently, the Netherlands is starting to come up on my expired list.
Roadrunner73

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Roadrunner73

[*] posted on 22-7-2014 at 11:57 AM

I haven´t any expired cards to Russia.
Well, o.k., sometimes they need more than 60 days, but the longest time it took until they have been registered was about 75 days. So the russian mail is, due to my experience, slow, but reliable.
AnimeOtaku

Country Flag:
Cuba

Cuba
Postcrossing Username: AnimeOtaku

Mood: So sad I've lost so much time not sending cards. They make me so happy.

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 04:06 PM

All my expired cards were sent to Rusia. My country has a very slow mail service, so combining that with Russian post service we have expired cards.
Miloudi

Country Flag:
Greece

Greece
Postcrossing Username: Miloudi

Mood: Postastic :D

[*] posted on 28-3-2016 at 10:17 PM

I have about 10 expired cards, some of them are in Russia and China.
But I agree about horrible USA system. One of my cards received after 2 weeks, but one of them 10 months after I sended the envelope! The user was also pretty impressed from that!
Most times, I resend one more time. If they will not get it, its not my own responsibility then.
Because of the immigration problem, mail in Greece started being slow as well...
At least in my city...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Imprint