Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Penpal Discussion Thread!
dandilion

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: dandilion

Mood: @(^0^)@

[*] posted on 6-9-2016 at 08:19 PM

Its great to stay in touch with penpals on social media besides/ in between letters. Well i do! I was chatting with my Turkish penpal, and this video chat lead into me travelling to Turkey next week to meet up with her and stay with her for a week! isn't that just super great??!
BridgetLarsen

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: BridgetLarsen

Mood: Enjoying my island life And excited to be a post crosser

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 07:12 AM

I started penpalling last year, thoroughly enjoyed it. Was writing all my letters by hand. Then mid last year I had an injury to my right hand and could not write, then this year I got arthritis in both my wrists so have had to type my letters, I do however write the opening salutation by hand and add a paragraph at the end with my handwriting and sign it by hand. All my postcards are written by hand. So I can do small bits of writing by hand but my letters are very newsy and i also decorate either my letters and/or envelopes when time permits.

For some reason I also have lost penpals and this was before I started typing them so who knows why people can write back. Most of the time I usually contact them if I have an alternate way to do so via email or facebook and I ask them if they would like to continue and its all good.

I also write another letter to them even if i had written last just in case my last letter got lost.

So am open to more penpals from all over the world probably from Gen X to older....but don't let that put you off if you are younger <smile>
FairyFoot

Country Flag:
Wales

Wales
Postcrossing Username: FairyFoot

Mood: 11+ years on Postcrossing!

[*] posted on 18-10-2016 at 07:25 PM

Do you ever wonder what happened to past penpals, the correspondence that did not last / just stopped? Would you want to reconnect, if you had enjoyed the correspondence?
Solstice_3

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: Solstice_3

Mood: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by FairyFoot  
Do you ever wonder what happened to past penpals, the correspondence that did not last / just stopped? Would you want to reconnect, if you had enjoyed the correspondence?

Yes especially as she still follows me on Instagram.
Tairyn

Country Flag:
Spain

Spain
Postcrossing Username: Hestela

Mood: I'm always happy

[*] posted on 15-1-2017 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FairyFoot  

Yeah, there is this one German penpal I had... we got on really well. We could talk about anything. I stopped writing after losing a family member (I guess I was depressed) and she never wrote me either to know if something was wrong with me or maybe a letter got lost... I was very dissapointed about that, but since I was the one who stopped writing I cannot complain. I think about her a lot and I have tried to find her on social media but with no luck...

Do (or did) you have any pals you have no idea why you keep writing to them?
EvelynRose

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: EvelynRose

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 10:11 PM

I personally don't mind typed letters. I have to type them myself since I have carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands. Whenever I hand write my letters after awhile my fingers go numb and it's hard for me to continue. I do love receiving hand written letters as well as typed.
Valera91

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Valera91

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Solstice_3  
I think it's a lovely idea personally. I've received and sent small thumbnail (ish) sized photos glued to the letter and written about what the photo shows. Recently I sent some of our local carnival as I was talking about it in the letter.

Hello my name is Valera from Russia, I would like to get acquainted for the exchange of stamps and cards.
If you are interested write to me at mail ecolog245@gmail.com
satinification

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: satinification

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 11:13 PM

One of my letters reached the addressee after 5 months of wandering and I am in touch again with that great Belorussian girl. A true snail mail. Maybe some of my other letters got lost too and that's why people stopped writing to me. Not everyone of them, but maybe like 2 or 3 from about 20 of pals.

Every one of my penpals is different and my relationship with them as well. I write longer or shorter letters - more or less personal.
WhiteWixin

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic
Postcrossing Username: WhiteWixin

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 01:13 PM

That is why I thought about changing email addresses just for letting know each other, that letter came. Do you think it is good idea, or you dont want to share anything else only address to home?
satinification

Country Flag:
Poland

Poland
Postcrossing Username: satinification

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 02:38 PM

We do have another possibility of contact, because if it is a person from that forum, we can send U2U and ask if the letter arrived.

Giving your email is a good idea to keep in touch when you don't have time to write a letter. Emails are faster and more reliable than snail mail. dandilion wrote earlier that she and her penpals use social media to contact. It's a good way too, but I rather prefer emails.

But sometimes I would just feel silly to ask if someone got my letter and decided to ignore it or the letter got lost on its way...
hellofarsun

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: farsun

Mood: college student

[*] posted on 18-12-2017 at 04:38 AM

Hello!

I would like to ask what are considered to be rude in writing letters in your country.
In example, it might be rude to write in red ink. Or it might be better to write on white papers.

Do you have something like that in your country's culture?
Waldbaum

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Waldbaum

[*] posted on 21-1-2018 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dandilion  
Its great to stay in touch with penpals on social media besides/ in between letters.

I agree! :)
TaintedVampyre

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: TaintedVampyre

Mood: Excited to start a new adventure :)

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 01:46 AM
Pros and Cons: Snailmail vs E-pals?

I'd like to get peoples opinions on the subject.
I fear e-pals seems too "instant" and the obligation to respond immediately is constantly staring at you in the face every time you check your email. Am I wrong? Am I thinking about this rightly?
- Krys
Solstice_3

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 07:30 AM

Personally I'm more for snail mail, I agree I would want to reply instantly to an email or feel like I should. Some people like to exchange a few emails before writing a letter which can help sometimes. I started one penpal friendship exchanging a few emails first and it went well.
scrutiny

Country Flag:
Hong Kong

Hong Kong
Postcrossing Username: scrutiny

Mood: Is having three valid mailing addresses overkill?! :D

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 09:35 AM

I'd agree with Solstice_3, TaintedVampyre - emails feel more like business work to me, but I understand that's sometimes what works better for other people. Basically I don't think there's a universal "wrong or right" way to think about it, it's just preference. Personally I haven't had much success with email pals (or just emails to friends) but I think that's because I associate sitting down in front of a screen with office work, and I can't get past that in my head. There is something more freeing about sticking with pen and paper, strangely - I feel like there's a lot more planning that is involved, in terms of time management and supplies, but the feeling of carrying letters with you and paper to reply on is fantastic. That said, all my current pals I found online, and we definitely exchanged messages online before committing to writing on paper. Strangely enough, with the pals I'm closest to, we've actually migrated to social media and/or instant messaging as the first point of contact, because it's easier. For me personally, I think that was a natural progression in the friendships, although it makes me miss receiving snail mail from them! :)
Corbomite

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Corbomite

Mood: Postcrossing: having too many postcards, but still not enough.

[*] posted on 26-5-2018 at 06:01 PM

Hello dear penpallers and snailmailers!

I am curious - how often do you (typically) write to a given penpal - every month? every week? couple times a year?
And: How many penpals at once do/did you have? I probably wouldn't be able to handle more than one or two, but that's just me.
Solstice_3

Country Flag:
UK

UK

[*] posted on 26-5-2018 at 09:19 PM

I have a good handful of penpals but they are all different, some I write to maybe 4 times a year but we write long letters, others prefer shorter letters more often. I send birthday cards and Christmas cards to all, and exchange gifts with some but not all of my penpals.
scrutiny

Country Flag:
Hong Kong

Hong Kong
Postcrossing Username: scrutiny

Mood: Is having three valid mailing addresses overkill?! :D

[*] posted on 27-5-2018 at 01:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Corbomite  

I am curious - how often do you (typically) write to a given penpal - every month? every week? couple times a year?
And: How many penpals at once do/did you have? I probably wouldn't be able to handle more than one or two, but that's just me.

I used to write a lot more frequently to a lot more pals, but most have lost touch or have become "real" friends who stay in touch on social media. I would like to write more but I'm taking it easy at the moment and also waiting for people to possibly reply. So I'd say, probably 2-3 letters/postcards per pal per year? I have 2-3 more regular ones at the moment, and a bunch of people who I write to less frequently (maybe once a year, if that). All of them are comparatively short letters for me. (I used to write around 15 pages for long letter pals.) :)
dandilion

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: dandilion

Mood: @(^0^)@

[*] posted on 27-5-2018 at 08:33 AM

I can handle as much as I currently have around 35/40 penpals.
Some are fairly new and ive only exchanged 1/ 2 letters with. Others have been penpals for about 10 years. I write back within a month or it can be up to 2 months. Most of my pals are on my facebook and we keep in touch there too.
All my letters are handwritten and occasionally i type them on my old typewriter.
justicepirate

Postcrossing Username: justicepirate

[*] posted on 21-7-2018 at 12:54 PM

I would love to write to another female anywhere in the world. I always respond to letters and it has been so much fun for me to write internationally, though I have not done so since I was 19 because I stopped receiving responses (I have penpals in the US where I live though).
mingshu

Country Flag:
Finland

Finland
Postcrossing Username: mingshu

Mood: visiting postcard festival tomorow ;)

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 03:17 AM

ideally i would like to write once a month with each but with most penpals it has hardly ever been so -with some it can be only 2 or 3 letters yearly ...when i was teenager i had a lot of penpals and could handle it better than now my work takes a lot of my energy -at best i can handle 2 letters weekly :D i have about 10 penpals -my oldest it´s now 28+ yrs we write :D

since postcrossing i´ve had some postcard pals too it´s also really nice though cannot share much on card and it takes time to choose a card, stamp etc too :) my oldest postcard pal in taiwan it´s now 7+ yrs we write cards -almost monthly :)

im so glad about these contacts that last and have also met several of my penpals :) some old penpals are in facebook now or transferred to just e-mailing but i find that so much less personal and it´s confusing me -i don´t have the feeling to follow up social media :umm: it´s nice to e-mail sometimes though and if anything need to know fast can communicate quickly :lol:
wakabeee

Country Flag:
Japan

Japan
Postcrossing Username: Wakabeee

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 02:51 PM

This is interesting question! And I really enjoyed reading other people’s replies.

For me, I usually write 2 or 3 letters a week.Though I can find time to write, I cannot do that when I am tired. So I usually write Saturday or Sunday.
I have around 10 penpals, but the pace is different as others say. Some of them are about three or four times a year. I send Birthday cards and Christmas cards to some of them as well.

I think new penpals are so quickly to reply. And of course , there’re some countries that can carry mails quickly each other, but some are slow.

Last year, i only had 3 pen pals. And we are so slow(but letters are long!) But I couldn’t exchange less than 10 times a year with them :snob: So I felt like I want to do more, so I made more friends and created snail mail Instagram account. However I noticed that people who have lots of penpals tend to be negligent to each person. I am wondering “enough” number of penpals... :bisou:
Frida_Polished

Postcrossing Username: Frida_Polished

[*] posted on 15-1-2019 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Solstice_3  
I have a good handful of penpals but they are all different, some I write to maybe 4 times a year but we write long letters, others prefer shorter letters more often. I send birthday cards and Christmas cards to all, and exchange gifts with some but not all of my penpals.

I have a couple of penpals now, I write postcards most days but if they send me a letter I reply with a letter too. If possible I try to reply within the next week after I receive the mail because otherwise I forget, so I just make some time during the week to do that.

Some penpals are super active and send a couple of things a month, others send evey other month. Just in case we keep in touch also via Instagram or email so we can check if everything is ok more easily.

I don't normally exchange gifts with my penpals, but sometimes I feel like sending some stickers or page markers. Most of the times I just prefer words, ideas and memories than gifts.

Because I write about different and complex things I keep a notebook with all the topics I've writen about and other useful information about their preferences and highlight some of the things they have answered, so every time I sit down I write something interesting to read for them.

Last year I sent Christmas postcards, this year I hope to send birthay cards too.
Anastasia1398

Country Flag:
Russia

Russia
Postcrossing Username: Anastasia1398

[*] posted on 8-2-2019 at 07:04 PM

Hello dears!
My name is Anastasia, I'm 20 years old and I really dream about a pen PAL. I twice tried to find a paper friend, but in response to his letter and did not wait. I hope it will come again. I won't tell you much about myself here, because I want to share everything on paper. Languages: Russian, English.
My address:
Ul. Minskaya 39-24
Samara
Russia
cpaige

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: cpaige

[*] posted on 22-4-2019 at 04:18 AM

I started exchanging letters when I joined a penpal club in 1989. Today I still exchange cards with one in France, one in NZ and one in Quebec Canada. We exchange now maybe twice or 3 times a year. It is so good to receive a letter/hand written. We do not email. I sit back in front room and have a drink and read the letter. During those 30 years I had ones daughter visit here, then ones niece visit and we as a family visited the one from Quebec. We shared moments of good times and sad times in our letters. Trust me after 30 years there are sad times!
I had about 4 more penpal but time has marched on. Two of those lasted about 5 years The best pen pal I had was the one I married in 1994 after being penpals for 4 years. I had wanted a pen pal from the USSR/ Baltic republics. I wanted to learn about growing up in the USSR and I wanted USSR stamps. Its now 25 years and 3 kids later.
I always say to people interested in how we met it was stamp collecting that introduced me to my wife. I recommend having pen pals, someone to share your thoughts with. You can actually get quit close to them without seeing them. OK today its a little different but you get my drift.
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top

Imprint