Postcrossing (Legacy) Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

NOTICE
The Postcrossing Forum is now at:

https://community.postcrossing.com

This is a read-only archive and can no longer be used.
Learn more here.

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  20
Author: Subject: [[ World Languages RR (moved to the new forum) ]]
Chieusa
Japanese Community moderator

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: Chieusa

love.gif posted on 7-5-2008 at 08:32 PM
[[ World Languages RR (moved to the new forum) ]]

World Languages RR - moved to the NEW FORUM (from Group 285)
You can still use this thread to report the received cards for Groups 282 and 284.

:) If you are not sure how this RR works, please read the following post or ask me

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Do not write postcards in English unless it is marked as "In English" or "English Translation".
Naturally No unwritten cards for this RR.

2) It would be a nice gesture to check others' profiles when selecting and writing cards, however, there is no obligations for senders to grant everyone's wishes.
As long as postcards are not used or offensive, senders can decide which card to send.

3) For regular groups, we assume you know the language a little bit at least. (For Special groups you don't have to know the language!)

4) Each group has one member per country (with exceptions - Pig in a Poke, Teach Me, etc.)
If another person from a same country wants to join, I'll be happy to create another group!
When a group is open for months it will be reduced to fewer members, each from a different county. If it is open for so long with only 1 active participant, the group will be terminated and changed into a different one (You can request to start the terminated group again so that we will have a fresh start!)

5) Always Post in this thread to join the RR.

6) You will send me your address only once. And please let me know when your address has changed.

7) Send cards in 2 weeks (3 weeks for special groups). Your name will be deleted from any open groups, when I find out you owe cards, way past the due date, here or in other RRs. Send them first, then join this RR.

8) Please U2U me, if you don't want me to give your address to an Angel.
================================================
:saint:If you have received an Angel card for this RR, please post in the thread. Angels, thank you very much!
Angel Acknowledgements are here :saint:
==============================================
Group 285 ---> opened in the new forum

~~~ TRAVELLING GROUPS ~~~
GROUP 284 : Writer's Chosen Language
You will write all your postcards in the non-English language you have chosen. addresses sent Nov 1. Please send cards by Nov 15

1. ting23127 (Taiwan) - will write in Arabic - English translation for languages other than Chinese, French or Korean. sent Nov 3
2. lbg83 (USA) - will write in Spanish. English translation for non-Latin or non-Cyrillic (if Cyrillic, please write neatly!)
3. Gaucha (Spain) - will write in Dutch. English translation for non-Latin languages. sent Nov 1
4.Lleyton (China) - will write in Chinese. English translation for languages other than Chinese and German.
5. Chiaki4654 (Japan) - will write in Japanese. English translation for languages other than German, Chinese, French, please sent Nov 2

GROUP 280 : Chinese - addresses sent May 25. Please send cards by June 8
1. keries (China) - sent July 4 - rec mengmeng19, chunhei, Geiko
2. mengmeng19 (mcrxmy) (Taiwan) - sent May 28 - rec ALL :D
3. miraclemaker (USA) - sent June 6 - rec ALL :D
4. Geiko (Spain) - sent June 7 - rec ALL :D
5. chunhei (HongKong) - sent June 2 - rec ALL :D

GROUP 281:Send me a card in my language (Special) - addresses sent May 3. Please send cards by May 24
You will write postcards to each person in the requested language.
1. nora1194 (Indonesia) - write me in Bahasa Indonesia - sent May 24 - rec ba_yeats, chunhei
2. chunhei (HongKong) - write me in Chinese using Chinese Characters - sent May 11 - rec ba_yeats, nora1194, ZengPiao
3. nubivagant (Portugal) - write me in Portuguese - sent May 25 - rec ba_yeats, nora1194, chunhei
4. ba_yeats(USA) - Spanish - sent? - rec chunhei, nora1194, nubivagant
5. ZengPiao (China) - Chinese - sent May 22 - rec chunhei, ba_yeats, nubivagant

GROUP 282 : Writer's Chosen Language - addresses sent August 11. Please send cards by August 25
1. oiloncanvas (Portugal) - will write in Portuguese - English translation for languages other than Portuguese, French, Italian or Spanish. - sent August 17 - rec cicus
2. cicus (Finland) - will write in Finnish - English translation for all non-European languages. Cyrillic is fine. - sent August 18 - rec aisasami
3. viviansiiii (China) - will write in Chinese - English translation for languages other than French - sent August 19 - rec oiloncanvas, EverettGal
4. EverettGal (USA) - will write in French. English translation for languages other than French, Spanish or Norwegian. - sent August 12 - rec cicus, aisasami
5. aisasami(Japan) - will write in Japanese. English translation for languages other than Japanese and Spanish. - sent August 24 - rec EverettGal, cicus

GROUP 283: Send me a card in my language (Special) - addresses sent August 29. Please send cards by September 19
You will write postcards to each person in the requested language.
For example, if you picked German then you will send 4 cards written in different languages and receive 4 cards written in German.

For languages with non-Latin characters (such as Russian, Chinese, Thai, etc), please mention if you like to receive cards in the authentic characters, in Latin alphabet, mix them or any form is OK.
One per county. Multiple members OK per language.
1. May Gao (China) - write me in Japanese - sent Aug 31 - rec both :)
2. frodokun (Japan) - write me in German - sent Sep 4 - rec both :)
3. jesserz (USA) - write me in Russian, using cyrillic characters - sent Sep 16 - rec May Gao
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 08:33 PM

World Languages Round Robin (RR) Questions & Answers
* You don’t have to be a native or fluent speaker. But we assume you know the language, a little bit at least (except Special groups).
* Unless specified, please do not write the postcards in English.
* The purpose of World Languages RR is to enjoy reading and writing in a foreign language. So you will write on the postcard even the recipient prefers unwritten cards.
* For a regular group, there will be 5 people in a group (You send out 4 cards and receive 4). When a group is open for too long, I usually launch it with fewer members.
* Each person in a group is from a different country. (except Special Groups)
* If you had sent cards in the past for this RR, you can join more than one group.
* Since many users do not like handmade, self-printed or AD cards, please check the user's profile if it's OK to send him/her such card. Please note that recycled, used or AD cards are not handmade!!
* The deadline to send cards is 2 weeks from the day I send you addresses (3 weeks for special groups). Please post in the thread if you need to extend the deadline due to unexpected events.

No-send situations (so-called “cheaters”)?
Everyone is welcome to participate. But if you didn't send a postcard(s) way past the deadline, in this RR or other RR's/tags, I am sorry but your name will be removed, and you cannot join until you send all the cards you owe.

Who is an "angel"?
When someone didn't send you a card, occasionally I will have a generous and caring Forum member (this person is called an “Angel”) send you a card. This will be a RAS (Random Act of Smileness) card, and often times, it is not from the country your original sender lives.
If you do NOT want me to give your address to an angel, please U2U me and let me know. If it's OK to do so, but I need your permission beforehand, please let me know also. (+members: Bear+ , neamsterdamka+, Lamilla+, hanule+, carbon624+, akbarakbar+, nubivagant +) (W members: DER, xxzhw, Varastettu Lapsi)

How to participate
* Post in this thread, stating the Group number, please. Then send me your address via U2U. (I will keep your address, so you don't have to re-send it when you join this RR again.)
* If there is not a group for your language, please request it in this thread. I will be happy to create one for you!
* If a group doesn't have enough people, I might shrink the group size.
* If 2 members from the same country wanted to join a group, I will create 2 groups, so that there will be no multiple members from one country.
* When the group is complete, I will check if everyone in the group is still active, then send you a U2U with addresses.
* Please send cards within 2 weeks after the date I sent you the addresses. In case you won’t be able to send them by the deadline, please let us know by posting in this thread.
* When you sent/received a card, please post in this thread, so that all of us can keep track.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Special Group: Pig in a Poke
Thank you, cicus, for this great idea!
* 10 people to form a group. You will send only 1 card to a person out of the 10 people, and write in her/his native language!
* It is most likely the language you DO NOT know. Feel free to use online-translators and other resources. When you request a language with unique alphabet (Russian, Thai), you can choose either authentic alphabet or the Roman alphabet, or "doesn't matter".
For regular groups, use the auhentic characters.
*To sign up, post in the thread and rememeber to tell us your native language (if it is English, use the second language instead). More than 1 person from one country can join.

Special Group: Teach me!
* 4 members to form a group; 2 people who want to learn the language (students) and 2 people who are native or at the near-native-level of the language (tutors)
* First, the students will send postcards to the tutors. Novice-level learners are welcome!
* AFTER receiving the postcard from the student, the tutors will write corrected or re-phrased sentences on new postcards and send them to the students in 3 weeks.
* You will write in the assigned language. But for this group, it's OK to write some English for supplemental reasons (asking questions, explaining grammar, etc.).
* We can have "Teach Me English" group for English learners.

Special Group: Translate me!
* Each member will offer language(s) to translate from English. Let us know if you want the translation in the original characters, in Roman alphabet, or in both.
* Each member will post up to 3 sentences (or more if they are short) in English
* You will receive addresses and sentences to translate. Send postcards with the translation.
* One member per language

Special Group: Writer's chosen - sending
* You will write postcards in whatever language you have chosen.
* When joining please tell me if you want to receive a card with translation (You can be specific: for example, "English translation only for non-Latin characters" "English translation needed for languages not included in Google Translator" etc.
* One member per country.
Special Group: Send me a card in my language"
* You will receive postcards in whatever language you have chosen.
* If your language is Non-Latin, please tell me if you want to receive a card written in Latin alphabet or the original characters.
* One member per country.

Special Group: (In English) Learn about ENDANGERED/EXTINCT languages
* This is an educational swap group that you write each other in English.
*You will pick one of the languages that are endangered (spoken by a very small number of people)/extinct (dead. no longer spoken by anybody). Then on your postcards you will share information about the language and some interesting linguistic and/or cultural information.
* You do not need to be fluent in the language you've picked.
Atlas/List of endangered languages
http://www.unesco.org/culture/languages-atlas/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_endangered_languages
List of extinct languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinct_languages
*One member per country. One member per language.
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 27-10-2008 at 06:41 PM

:thumbup: List of language groups we had in this RR

A: Arabic
B:
C: Chinese, Croatian, Czech
D: Dutch
E : Estonian
F: Finno-Ugric languages, Finnish, French
G: German
H: Hindi, Hungarian
I: Indonesian, Italian
J: Japanese
K: Korean
L:
M: Malay
N: Norwegian
O: Occitan
P: Polish, Portuguese
Q:
R: Romance Languages, Russian
S: Scandinavian languages, Serbian, Slavic languages, Spanish, Swedish
T:
U: Ukrainian
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

and other endangered and unique languages!

Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 04:12 PM

Recent Angel updates:

:saint: Angel Acknowledgements Thank you!!!

Lori and her Angel team for Groups 17 (to mingshu), 53 (to pepsimaja), 110 (to Herstory & ephemera) , 115 (to volvmom).
masito for Groups 17 (to Blackie), 63 (to misagan), 115 (to MaHaKo)
anagahan for Group 23 (sent to dottisilvia)
BraveJ for Group 23 (to dottisilvia)
Chieusa for Groups 50 (to LilzGold), 138 (to Antartique), 200 (?surprise)
*Tiffie* for Group 50 (to Jetske)
cdnstar for Group 53 (to RKR)
marcie08 for Groups 53 (to RikeH), 110 (to sannah82), 113 (to Marnie, to ephemera, to misagan, to sannah82), 118 (to pepsimaja)
wanda164 for Group 56 (to ulvikaru)
gaquero for Groups 62 (to alissonmt), 100 (to jyxzn), 104 (to volvomom), 123 (to RajkoG), 172 (Aquila83)
RKR for Group 65 (to delenn_mir)
Jetske for Group 89 (to RKR)
sannah82 for Groups 92 (to ctrekoza), 166 (to RikeH, gaquero, hanitles), 162 (to Sunsky), 200 (to masito), 201 (to hanule)
Elenna for Group 110 (to marcie08)
RajkoG for Group 115 (pinuccua)
Blackie for Group 119 (to libelula)
Goyesca for Group 123 (to Moniquemonique, to ephemera)
Cockie for Group 138 (to fire.maggie)
Svetlana for Group 162 (to Sunsky)
MichaelaD for Group 173 (to cicus, LucieZezulkova )
Inkentum for Group 200 (to sabine22)
sabine22 for Group 200 (to cfcfede)
Inkentum for Group 200 (to napalm)
Twinmummy for Group 200 (to Robin_Goodfellow and ?surprise), 201 (to sunsky)
sabine22 for Group 200 (to anagahan)
Norway_Girl for Group 200 (?surprise) , 201 (to Tanea)
LucieZezulkova for Group 201 (?surprise)

Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 10-9-2010 at 03:54 PM

reserved for later use
habibikun

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: habibikun

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 05:00 AM

hello. i'd like to join group 268 - javanese language (not japanese) with english translation. i come from javanese ethnic in indonesia. i'll manage to write my cards in javanese letters (which most javanese people don't use them, except in javanese class when i was a junior high school student and it's only in east java) sadly.
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 10:29 PM

Updated :D

Welcome, new participant!
* habibikun from Indonesia has joined Group 268 (writer's chosen ENDANGERED language) with Javanese.
frodokun

Country Flag:
Japan

Japan
Postcrossing Username: frodokun

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 04:31 PM

Hello:)
I'd like to join group 268 : Writer's chosen ENDANGERED language with English translation.
I'll try to write my cards in Ainu language.
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_language )

I'll U2U my address.
Tolkien

Postcrossing Username: Tolkien

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 09:41 AM

I would like to join group 270. Thank you
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 13-1-2016 at 05:55 AM

GROUP 268
I took Calialf's spot since she is not active for more than 2 months.
As soon as I verify the addresses, I will send out U2Us. Thanks!

[EDIT] Addresses were sent out for Group 268. You have 3 weeks to write in the endangered language!
habibikun

Country Flag:
Indonesia

Indonesia
Postcrossing Username: habibikun

[*] posted on 16-1-2016 at 09:35 AM

GROUP 268 : Writer's chosen ENDANGERED language with English translation (Special)

All cards written in Javanese with translation & stamped sent today from Sidayu Gresik Post Office (I'm on vacation at my hometown) but i wrote the cards while waiting for flight at Balikpapan airport. ^^
mikebond

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: mikebond

[*] posted on 23-1-2016 at 09:08 AM

GROUP 268
All four postcards in Venetian have been sent today (Saturday 23) from France.
mikebond

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: mikebond

[*] posted on 23-1-2016 at 09:46 AM

I don't know if I'm allowed to join another group, since I'm already in one (268), but I maybe could take the last place in group 270 (Spanish), which has been open for months.
anagahan
Ex-Yugoslavian Countries Community moderator

Postcrossing Username: anagahan

Mood: Please do not write North Macedonia on ANY mail sent to me. Just "Macedonia" would be enough. Thank you!

[*] posted on 23-1-2016 at 09:57 AM

would it be possible to open a "Teach me Norwegian" group? Id be on the student part of the draw....thank you :)
frodokun

Country Flag:
Japan

Japan

[*] posted on 23-1-2016 at 04:26 PM

GROUP 268 : Writer's chosen ENDANGERED language with English translation (Special)

I sent all cards today :D
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 24-1-2016 at 02:40 AM

Welcomeback!
* mikebond, thank you for taking the last spot for Group 270: Spanish.
* anagahan, I have created "Teach me Norwegian" group for you :)

I will send the addresses for Group 270 (Spanish) soon.

Feel free to request new groups ;)
Izmya

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic
Postcrossing Username: Izmya

[*] posted on 24-1-2016 at 10:06 PM

My I join group 261 with Czech? Thanks :)
Izmya

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic

[*] posted on 24-1-2016 at 10:07 PM

What about Slavic languages group?
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 24-1-2016 at 11:50 PM

Addresses were sent for Group 270 (Spanish).

Welcomeback!
* Izmya, you are in Group 261 (Write me a card in my language) with Czech.
And I have created Group 262 (Slavic Languages). Let me know if you want a translation for the group.
Thank you for the suggestion!
jeanettemiami

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: Jeanettemiami

[*] posted on 25-1-2016 at 06:08 PM

#270 -- group ready to go out the door and in the mail!
Caramiga

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: Caramiga

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 05:52 PM

Thank you Chieusa for the really nice card for the group 249, you're an angel :)
Izmya

Country Flag:
Czech Republic

Czech Republic

[*] posted on 26-1-2016 at 07:49 PM

Muchas gracias Chieusa!! Thank you for great Angel card (group 249). I just love postcard from Washington..I think I should come again and buy some :)

I would prefer the Slavic Languages with translation in case the azbuka alphabet..thank you :)
Chieusa

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 27-1-2016 at 05:50 AM

I didn't expect the angel cards to arrive so quickly.
@Caramiga, Did my French make sense to you???
@Izmya, Yes come visit! But if you buy all the local cards here, I won't have cards to send you any more~
frodokun

Country Flag:
Japan

Japan

[*] posted on 28-1-2016 at 08:57 AM

I've received the card from habibikun!
Thank you for Javanese and beautiful view (^v^)
Tolkien

Postcrossing Username: Tolkien

[*] posted on 29-1-2016 at 10:44 AM

Group 270: Spanish
All cards sent :lol:
 Pages:  1    3  ..  20

Go To Top

Imprint