Postcrossing (Legacy) Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

NOTICE
The Postcrossing Forum is now at:

https://community.postcrossing.com

This is a read-only archive and can no longer be used.

Login will be disabled on this forum on November 2022.
Please check here for more details about this.

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  11
Author: Subject: Have a yarn
Aussiebear

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Aussiebear

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 01:03 PM

:D Thank you glenasena, misterteapot, binky & Mr binky for your very cute card from your Nagambie meet up. I'm sorry I couldn't join you and I hope you had a great time!
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Farewell old forum

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 12:39 AM

Stay safe all those in the areas affected by TC Debbie and the aftermath.

The rainfall figures are unbelievable!

BridgetLarsen

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: BridgetLarsen

Mood: Enjoying my island life And excited to be a post crosser

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 07:06 AM

Got a lot of wind, tied our outdoor furniture to the balcony railings. Lost power for 18 hours.

Lots of homes down south are badly flooded and the highway is cut off to go to NSW, bad start to the school holidays
rose_gold

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: rose_gold

Mood: Chill

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 12:39 PM

Lots of flooding near me , we were fine but others had to be evacuated. Getting ready for a big clean up next week :(
malleechick
Formerly known as aggysaunt

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: malleechick

Mood: Looking forward to the warm weather

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 06:19 AM

I'm a bit of a numbers person.. You know, I like significant numbers when I send my official cards.
So I was watching for AU-550000 to come up.
And I watched, and waited and waited and watched.
There were some days where only 100 cards were sent from Australia. How can that be?
Where is everybody? I was expecting, at least, that some of those users high up in the rankings would be sending cards, but even those numbers have dropped. What happened to the user who had sent over 10,000 cards? Gone? Completely?
And I missed out on the number I was waiting for. Telstra decided that the fixed wireless NBN wasn't going to be available for 48 hours in my area. :flaming:
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 06:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by malleechick  
What happened to the user who had sent over 10,000 cards? Gone? Completely?

Yes. Issues with the account and it was not resolved so was removed.
malleechick
Formerly known as aggysaunt

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: malleechick

Mood: Looking forward to the warm weather

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 06:40 AM

Perhaps we need to spread the word again about this wonderful past-time.
BridgetLarsen

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 08:31 PM

Whew its been a while since I came online, been busy buying a house and moving to our new Island home. You can read all about my adventures for the last 7 months on my blog.

http://bridgetlarsen.blogspot.com.au/2017/10/new-island-life.html

Indigoangel so sorry to read about your loss
Aussiebear

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 8-10-2017 at 01:56 PM

:) I hope you'll enjoy many happy years in your new home. We moved from Melbourne to a rural property about 100kms from the city in 2015 and we love it!
Aussiebear

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 18-1-2018 at 02:01 AM

:) I have some small size postcard soft sleeves that I don't need. If there are any Aussie postcrossers that could use them please u2u your address and I'll send some to you. :( I'm sorry but postage costs mean that this offer is only available for mailing to Australian addresses.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 06:11 AM

Happy Australia Day

Vicki
Hindmarsh Island
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Waykwabu

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 08:19 AM

Happy Australia Day all - we've had our barbie, kids & grandkids have all gone home, now it's time to flake out on the bed :D:D:D:D
Doumik

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: Dominique

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 08:51 AM

Happy Australia Day :)
IndigoAngel

Postcrossing Username: IndigoAngel

Mood: always . . :love: . . :love: . . an angel

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 03:52 AM

sneaking in here quietly ... coz i have been a little quiet ...

the gold coast commonwealth games philatelics are available - don't know when from
and yet there they are

the mascot and a gc218 postcards came up in a search for prepaid postcards in the auspost shop

https://shop.auspost.com.au/stamp-and-coin-collectables/gifts/gold-c...

suggest you grab yours before they run out coz run out they will!

i hope everyone is well
and coping with this extended heatwave that is australia wide

over the weekend there has been a big bushfire burning near orange - it is 40ish km as the crow flies from where i am

it is the first big fire of the summer out this way and given how hot it has been and how dry the groundcover is, we are grateful it is only the one (or three in my shire over this past weekend)

:singing: happy february - the lunar new year starts shortly -so:singing: happy new year :singing:

;)

Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 14-2-2018 at 01:08 AM

Some great maxicards coming out soon - Banksias next week and vintage jam labels and Finches in the not too distant future.

Australia Post will probably be issuing a stamp for every Oz gold medallist, as they did in 2006 for the Melbourne Games. I will be using them on my domestic mail if they do this.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 17-3-2018 at 02:02 AM

Election Day here in South Australia.

Hot day with total fire-bans in my area though it is very overcast and windy. The local Country Fire Brigades are all doing sausage sizzles at the booths so hopefully they make some well-needed money out of it all.

As an aside, several years ago my daughter (she is a CFS Captain) was doing sausage sizzle at her brigades local booth and a toddler went into cardiac arrest in the car park. My daughter did CPR while others went into the hall asking if there was a doctor or nurse inside voting. A nurse was there and she rushed out to assist and take turns with my daughter while they waited for the ambulance to arrive.

I pre-voted weeks ago so my interest in the candidates and media attention is extremely low. I understand that there has been record amount of people doing pre-voting, there was a queue out the door of the town hall when I pre-voted.

Vicki
IndigoAngel

Postcrossing Username: IndigoAngel

Mood: always . . :love: . . :love: . . an angel

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 04:43 AM

has autumn arrived yet? we still have high 20s, 29 the other day - days - which is many degrees above average - i did see some trees have started to change colour, so maybe autumn is on its way

i've just fixed up the au -> au tag with mention of my legs

to be honest i have not been travelling too well, and not on my legs at all as it turns out :P - for 4 weeks now i have been at medical centres and hospitals every single day and i tell you i am pretty much over it - i am housebound except when i shuffle down hospital corridors

somehow managed to get an infection on both legs, we don't do these things by small measures - a single bandaid just was not enough - :( no :( - i needed both legs super dooper bandaged

things must be on the improve :thumbup: as i've been changed to dressings changes every second day - woohoo - been again this morning to get my pretty legs prettied up - in triple compression bandaging if you can imagine how fashionable that looks!

living on pain medication (and bucketloads of water)- not being able to drive and the lack of mobility at home is doing my head in - i'm not allowed to stand nor walk for long periods - how long is long? oh no more than 5 minutes - that is not very far i tell you

the working diagnosis for now is some weird rare varicose vein/ deep vein problem - i did not know i had varicose veins - and now i might
apparently we girls often get them when we are pregnant - so for me that was quite a long time ago- and they can take years to cause problems

given i've not had to play with medical staff for over 20 years, i am now making up for all those appointments...

the now-not-so-new health service - was the base hospital previously- has this really cool 'ambulatory care unit' - the district nurses work out of this unit and they are the champions :love at first: of wound care/bandaging/dressings, they also do other procedures like iv stuff that needs doing daily, but you don't need to be in a hospital bed - if you live within city limits they'll come to you, but of course i'm outside that and i get an adventure to town every other day now

i know i am late, i'll ask anyhow - did the easter bunny/bilby come by your place and leave you lovely surprises? if not you might still find some heavily discounted chocolate with the word easter on the packaging in some supermarkets

and if you went away i hope you had a wonder-full time :love:
school holidays :duh: are almost upon us .... again ....

on stamps and maxicards - :spin: i am liking the new finches and the banksias :spin:

see you guys all missed my:saint: ramblings :P did you not haha :P i could contribute the ramblings to pain meds, or not..

happy days
;)
BridgetLarsen

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 13-4-2018 at 08:08 PM

Wow what a time you have had IndigoAngel. Mine has not been too good either but thats a story for another time.

I was looking at the stats for Australia (saw that France celebrated their 1,000,000 postcard-pretty impressive what they did.

I noticed that our prolific postcarder Laurent4 is no longer participating.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BridgetLarsen  

I was looking at the stats for Australia (saw that France celebrated their 1,000,000 postcard-pretty impressive what they did.

I noticed that our prolific postcarder Laurent4 is no longer participating.

He had 'ongoing postcard issues' that he was not willing to resolve so he left.

Vicki
BridgetLarsen

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 14-4-2018 at 11:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  

He had 'ongoing postcard issues' that he was not willing to resolve so he left.

Vicki

Oh no, I wonder what he is going to do with his postcard business then
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 12:14 AM

I have just spent 4 days in Waikerie, SA (a Riverland town on the Murray) and wanted to send some postcards.

Well that turned out to be an issue. I went into the post office and they didn't have any postcards, they told me they used to have the pre-paid ones but they were taken away a few months ago. I asked where the newsagent was and was told that had closed down. They said tourists often came in there looking for postcards. I bought stamps anyway just in case I found postcards.

I went back to my motel and looked through the info folder and saw there was an Information Centre. As I was on foot (David had the car) I decided to ring them before trekking there. They said they had postcards with specific Waikerie printed on them.

I set out and on the way passed a Craft/charity shop. I went in there to have a browse and spotted they had specific Waikerie postcards. Excellent local scenes and quality. I bought as many as the stamps I had. The photographer actually came into the shop while I was there to drop off some home-made biscuits for sale. We chatted.

I continued on to the Info Centre and guess what there were no postcards to be seen.

I was told that the servo just coming into Waikerie had postcards but because I was on foot that wasn't an option for me to visit.

I let the post office know about the craft shop.

So finding postcards in tourist country towns is becoming an issue it seems.
Iambowyum

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Bowyum

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 10:56 AM

Despite being in a busy tourist town, Byron Bay post office does not sell postcards of any sort. You can buy regular tourist cards at the information centre ($2 each!) and the same ones at the newsagents for $1.

There are prepaid cards of a Byron Bay beach, on sale at Lismore post office, 50km away!

I have been pleasantly surprised to find cards of several local small villages and towns, including Bexhill, Eltham, Federal, Rock Valley, Rosebank and Mullumbimby.
BenjiBJM

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: alvayer

Mood: Too cold.

[*] posted on 4-8-2018 at 01:56 AM

Everyone in my family thought that the local post office would sell postcards but it turns out they don’t, and our local news agent only sells 4 varieties of postcards.
The fact that post offices don’t disappoints me, and just shows that they don’t expect many people to be sending postcards anymore thanks to tech. Hopefully us postcrossers can make a slight difference...

Anyway, my little mini rant done. Sorry about that :smilegrin:
I’m looking for recommendations for where to buy postcards. I’ve found a good website that sells them cheap, but they don’t have a huge range. What are places that I could find postcards?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the “where to get postcards” section in the forum... my bad for not looking :rolleyes:
Some advice would still be appreciated though :)
Waykwabu

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: Waykwabu

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 10:21 AM

Hi Ben,

Have a look at http://postcard.pics-sydney.com.au/ they charge $1 a postcard and we always get a number of "freebies" thrown in as well.

Many suburban newsagents stock a few postcard of their local area, some have quite large selections.

If you visit the CBD, try the little tourist souvenir shops in Swanston St and Elizabeth St - cheap and a good selection.

Tourist information centre in St. Kilda Rd (opposite Flinders St Station ) has a selection - though the range has greatly reduce in past 18 months.

Visitor information centres in most rural towns ( if you are visiting) often have a good selection of their area.

As for post offices, most are run on a "franchise type" basis, and it depends on management if they stock postcards. ( Most LPO's make more money from selling their extensive stock items than they do from postal business :P:P:P:P )

And maybe the most economical is to use the "prepaid" postcards, ( the cost of the card + postage ) is cheaper than postage alone. Some larger PO's stock them and you can get them from the Aust Post website https://shop.auspost.com.au/search?keyword=australian%20prepaid%20po...

hope this helps a little !!
BenjiBJM

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: alvayer

Mood: Too cold.

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 12:02 PM

Yes it helps a lot!! Thank you :)
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  11

Go To Top

Imprint