Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Increased limits for supporters?
WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Country Flag:
USA

USA
Postcrossing Username: WRITESHOPROBERT

Mood: Umm...Where'm I Goin' ?

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 01:21 AM
Increased limits for supporters?

Limits?? OK, I understand the concept, but maybe shouldn't supporters have a different limit structure? I know that would mean adjusting the programming, but I did give you my gift of money.

Flame away!!
malleechick
Formerly known as aggysaunt

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: malleechick

Mood: Looking forward to the warm weather

[*] posted on 1-7-2011 at 03:09 AM

I think that the limits are fine. Yes you can get very angsty waiting in your early days on Postcrossing, but you build your numbers soon enough. And if you are not building them fast enough for your liking, then hang out here in the forums and learn about what happens, join in and join the tags and round robins.

Besides, my donation went to keeping what's here going. I reckon if you want more you'd have to pay much more!
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by malleechick  
I reckon if you want more you'd have to pay much more!

Isn't this a free project for everyone? What would one has to pay more for?

I'm a supporter and my badge expires at the end of this month. I'm not sure I should extend it. I didn't see a single reason in the last year why I should pay for a free project. Surely, it's a great project and most people here support it, even if it's not a monetary support. They spread the word about it, which is a support in its own way. But give us a good reason why people would want to pay if they could have everything for free anyway.

If someone doesn't want to send a whole lot of cards at once, they're free to send fewer cards, it's up to them. But if a person wants higher limits and after 200 or so cards it is clear that this person is doing the PC seriously, why not make those limits higher for them? It is because of these limits people have 2 or 3 accounts, which in reality messes up the true statistics of PC.

I think if a person wants higher limits, perhaps they could apply for them somehow and the admins could look up their stats and see that there's no cheating going on, and the person is postcrossing fairly. I personally have several thousand of postcards sitting around and waiting for their time. All were bought within last couple of years and I do want them to get going! Is there a way to have some kind of application for higher limits for the official supporters? Say, twice as much or something? Such an incentive would only encourage more people to be supporters.
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by malleechick  
I think that the limits are fine.

So do I. I'm a supporter but I don't expect special treatment for this. I'm a supporter... well, to support this beautiful project, because although it's free to use it is not to keep it running.
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 07:20 PM

It's absolutely fine if someone wants to send fewer cards, just like I said above. To each his own. But I'm not the only one who would enjoy higher limits. I know people who have several accounts just because of these limits. I myself have more than one. And yes, I'd create even more but I think it's just silly. Why not let those people who want to send more cards do it? I don't see a problem here at all.
Gape
formerly known as Pelle

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Gape

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 09:17 PM

Are you suggesting to purchase a membership? Like special offers for different states of memberships?
Special offers:
Donate more money and you'll be able to send more postcards!
Invest in the long-term "Gold"membership and we guarantee that you'll only draw the best-of-the-best and rarest countries/addresses. If you're not happy with your address you can change it for another or we refund you

[Note: I only exaggerate here!]

I donate money because I want to support the whole project without having any ulterior motives.
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:33 AM

No need to mock and exaggerate here. Who talks about the best countries here except yourself? Please be kind to stay on the topic of the limits and don't mix countries and other things in.

All I and the topic starter are asking if there could be any way to increase the limits for those who are willing and can afford to send more cards. A "paid membership" (your words, Gape) is only just a suggestion.

In fact, there really should be a way for a person to chose how many cards they want to send. With only 12-15 cards traveling at a time, it may get boring and people may give up. I personally know two friends of mine who quit because they got bored waiting for weeks. I myself am starting giving away cards because I can't send them to anyone via the official PC due to these small limits. Why not make an option for everyone after a number of cards sent (say, 200 or 300, which shows that this person isn't just hanging around) so that they might chose a number of cards they are willing to send? I've seen quite a few serious collectors here who, I'm sure, would only be happy to be able to send more cards.

And, in fact, if there is advertising on this site, this is in reality a commercial project. ;)
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:36 AM

Also, I really don't get it why those who don't want to send more cards get into this discussion and try to assure others that a small amount is just fine? If it is fine for them, great! But for others it might not be. We're not asking that all of a sudden EVERYONE has to send 50 cards at a time. We only suggest that there should be a way to send more cards for those who want to send more.
honzuki

Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:48 AM

Whoaa, we are just sharing our opinions, what we personally think, just as you are doing. No one was harsh, I think. This is a section where suggestions are discussed about, so we are... discussing. ;)
Gape
formerly known as Pelle

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 04:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by VeniceSunrise  
Also, I really don't get it why those who don't want to send more cards get into this discussion....

Ups, sorry ... My bad! I overlooked the passage "only join discussions if you agree with the OP opinion"!
Oh wait! Nope ...
Quote: Originally posted by WRITE SHOP ROBERT  

Flame away!!
... the OP is willing to hear different opinions! :thumbup:

With only 12-15 cards traveling at a time

... a few years ago you could only sent five cards at a time (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
I think it's a part of the "game" (Postcrossing) that the numbers of the sent cards increase by and by.
SuzyDoozy
formerly known as ibcreative

Country Flag:
New Zealand

New Zealand
Postcrossing Username: SuzyDoozy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gape  
Also, I really don't get it why those who don't want to send more cards get into this discussion....

Ups, sorry ... My bad! I overlooked the passage "only join discussions if you agree with the OP opinion"!
Oh wait! Nope ...
Quote: Originally posted by WRITE SHOP ROBERT  

Flame away!!
... the OP is willing to hear different opinions! :thumbup:

With only 12-15 cards traveling at a time

... a few years ago you could only sent five cards at a time (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
I think it's a part of the "game" (Postcrossing) that the numbers of the sent cards increase by and by.

You start off being able to send 5 and for every 50 you send your number increases by 1. As far as I know it's always been that way.
Gape
formerly known as Pelle

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ibcreative  

You start off being able to send 5 and for every 50 you send your number increases by 1. As far as I know it's always been that way.

This is from 2008:
Quote: Originally posted by paulo  
Hello all,

I've been considering a change in Postcrossing and I would like your opinion about it.

You all know that the current limit of traveling postcards is 5. That is intended so that no one can signup and harvest a lot of addresses and never sending them. This works, but for a long time user it might be a permanent constraint specially if in a country where post is a bit slow to/from the rest of world.

My current plan is to change this. New users would still start with 5 postcards as their limit, but over time, this would increase. Hence, for each 20 postcards sent, it would increase the limit by one until 100 postcards sent (limit would be 10). After that, it would increase by one for each 50 sent.

This is still a raw idea, but I would like to collect everyones opinions before going ahead. So, let the brainstorming start :)

Paulo

I thought it has changed since then!?
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 10:59 AM

Patience is a virtue =-D

But anyway, I would not mind paid "premium accounts" IF the only
advantage is being able to send as many postcards as you like.
Why not? No harm done and it means extra money for postcrossing.
But please no other crap like special walls, extra features in profiles etc. UGH! =P

I didn't see a single reason in the last year why I should pay for a free project
This free project cost money to maintain and survive.
To donate benefits all postcrossers including you =)
Jari-chan

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: Jari-chan

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 11:18 AM

I saw this all on facebook. Free gaming and stuff BUT if you pay money you get special weapons and other stuff and suddenly the game gets easier for you. Sure, that's nice but if you don't have the money to buy such treats the fun is gone for you. So I hope that here everything stays the way it is. I want to give money because I want to support the project, not because I want to send more cards and get this and that...
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Farrow  

To host a website costs $12 a month. ;) That can be easily covered with one supporter's donation of 10 Euros. Can we see where the rest of the money goes? Do the moderators get paid? Financial transparency of a publicly supported project would be always appreciated.

You're right, donations benefits all postcrossers. But if someone doesn't donate, should they feel guilty for "using" those who donate because they benefit from them? Kind of a welfare? No one should feel guilty for not donating. But based upon the puffed out pride of supporting the PC I've seen here and elsewhere, it is very easy for someone to start feeling guilty for not doing the same.

If this project was originally planned as a free one, they should also have thought of a possibility that no one would want to donate at all, and the project starter would have to run the site by himself only. Lots of projects end up that way.

Also, most projects have special benefits for loyal members, and this is normal all over the world. We have a completely free world-class museum (privately owned) in the area but yet they have a membership with extras for the members like special events and lectures. The museum is free to visit for anyone, so why bother with the membership and donate and support? Because then not only you support art (privately owned, yeah), but also get something more than others do. This is just an example of a free project and extra benefits for the members, just as an appreciation for their support and loyalty. Why not give the loyal postcrossers some encouragement and appreciation for their loyalty in a form of an "extra"? Like I said before, if someone can't afford to send more cards, they absolutely don't have to, it's all up to them. But why would they want to prevent others from sending more if these others want to and can afford it? Why force them be like everyone else, sing in unison, and not respect their personal choices if that doesn't harm anyone or the project itself?

VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 01:07 PM

Gape, I will refrain from commenting your posts due to the rude and patronizing tone of them.
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jari-chan  
I saw this all on facebook. Free gaming and stuff BUT if you pay money you get special weapons and other stuff and suddenly the game gets easier for you. Sure, that's nice but if you don't have the money to buy such treats the fun is gone for you. So I hope that here everything stays the way it is. I want to give money because I want to support the project, not because I want to send more cards and get this and that...

Sorry, I don't play games and can't compare a game to a postcard exchange. But then, if one pays for the extras and eventually gets bored, what prevents him to get rid of those extras and go back to normal? In PC no one can be forced to use those extras if they suddenly get bored. They just send fewer cards. It's that simple. But for some people sending more might be what keeps the fire going. People are all different.
honeybee829

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: honeybee829

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 03:29 PM

To host a website costs $12 a month. ;) That can be easily covered with one supporter's donation of 10 Euros. Can we see where the rest of the money goes? Do the moderators get paid? Financial transparency of a publicly supported project would be always appreciated.

$12 a month covers a small website. I wouldn't consider Postcrossing a small site. You also have to include the additional cost of hosting a forum.

They have to pay for bandwidth, backup servers, high speed internet connections, etc.
lncrou7

Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 03:43 PM

Why such a harsh reaction to what other people would like to do if it doesn't harm you personally?

A harsh reaction?! I didn't read anyone being harsh here.

I also think that the limits are fine. I already think we can send too much cards. There are even some postcrossers who complain that the quality of cards have decreased since people are allowed to send more cards. Because it is correct that in the beginning of Postcrossing, there was no postcard increases. Everybody could send 5 postcards at the time. I didn't mind that at all.

However, I also think that the generous people who support Postcrossing deserve some kind of perk associated with it.

VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 03:45 PM

Well, we can only be guessing how much it all costs until we can see the actual expenses, which I doubt will ever happen. And I think it's probably better to have a separate thread on the financial part of running this project if anyone need to discuss it. I don't really want to, to be honest.
Farrow

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Jesterday

Mood: Dreaming of Skye

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Farrow  

To host a website costs $12 a month. ;)

Hehehe... They wish =-D

Jari-chan, silly free to play games are not relevant here as long as "big spenders" do not get other benefits.

So yeah, maybe people who are willing to pay say 20 or 25 moolahs at once should be able to send cards freely.
Personally I don't care for it but what harm does it do if others do and can?
honeybee829

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: honeybee829

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 05:30 PM

Well, we can only be guessing how much it all costs until we can see the actual expenses, which I doubt will ever happen. And I think it's probably better to have a separate thread on the financial part of running this project if anyone need to discuss it. I don't really want to, to be honest.

I don't care about the financial part either but you brought it up and I wanted to let it be known that it costs a LOT more than $12 a month like you estimated. I would not be surprised if it costs thousands a month to run Postcrossing.

Anyway, so what? If Paulo makes a little profit doing this, good for him. He works hard on the site.

VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 08:05 PM

I don't care if he makes money or loses it. It's his own business. The whole topic is really on the membership/support and why we should do it. Or if there will ever be any appreciation for being loyal. I've just looked at top 50 postcrossers list and only 11 are supporters. Makes me wonder why.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 01:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gape  

It originally was 3

Vicki
Postcrossing Team
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 02:33 AM

I've just looked at top 50 postcrossers list and only 11 are supporters. Makes me wonder why.

Because it is not compulsory to pay money to use Postcrossing. Postcrossing is free to use.

It is a donation.

The donations go towards the running costs of Postcrossing.

When Postcrossing first started in 2005 there was no consideration of asking for donations. The donations option only was added (2 Dec 2005) 141 days after Postcrossing started after many members wanted to show their appreciation and help by donating some money.

The supporters badge actually appeared much later as a way of Postcrossing acknowledging those members who supported Postcrossing.

http://www.postcrossing.com/about/history

Gee I wish it only cost $12 month for a server! Postcrossing has several servers (spread across several continents) that support the main site, the forum site, the database, the back office, the emails, future development etc. All have varying amounts of capacity and bandwidth tailored to the demands of the members using Postcrossing at any one time.

We could have one server (we used to) but every report of 'so slow' or 'timeout' is a server not dealing with the capacity of usage. Postcrossing continually monitors loads and as membership increases (and more postcards are sent) we need to add more memory/hard-drive capacity/bandwidth/servers etc. All this costs.

The donations and the adverts you see on the main site and the forum all help towards covering the costs.

Postcrossing is not a corporation. It is owned and run by Paulo Magalhães with the help of the Postcrossing Team. Paulo is self-employed and there are Postcrossing expenses other than servers that have to be paid for.

To get an idea of the amount of traffic (and traffic is not just members) that Postcrossing gets it is interesting to view Alexa.com

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/postcrossing.com

Explore some of the options, the wayback machine is particularly interesting.

25 days after Postcrossing started there were:

736 users, 35 countries participating, 335 postcards received and 1476 postcards travelling

Compare that to now:

423,915 members, 214 countries participating, 18,633,674 postcards received and 446,838 postcards traveling

Okay back to the original question. Why are so few of the top senders not a supporter?

Because they don't have to be to use Postcrossing. Postcrossing is free to use.

I realise that I have digressed from the original suggestion of this topic which is a suggestion that supporters are given an extra allowance of how many postcards they can send at any time. The suggestion is noted.

Vicki
Postcrossing Team

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Imprint