Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom


Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Increased limits for supporters?
nordbaer
Member
******


Avatar


Posts: 2818
Registered: 10-5-2007
Location: Düsseldorf
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer
Member Is Offline

Mood: recovering

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 06:30 AM


I do not like the idea of buying the possibility to send more cards.
(I also wouldn't like it if I were not allowed to send the maximum of 100 cards.)
Could be the start of something more - "pay xx $ and postcrossing will automatically register all your cards before expiring!" or "for only xxx $ you get the PC-Gold Card with unlimited card sending, automatical registering of all your cards one day after sending and one dinner per year with a member of the PC-Staff! (For xx $ more you make sure it will always be Paulo...)"

I think that with the many ads Postcrossing is commercial enough meanwhile.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
siobhan
Member
******


Avatar


Posts: 1786
Registered: 17-5-2009
Location: Leverkusen, GER
Postcrossing Username: siobhan
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 09:52 AM


Quote: Originally posted by VeniceSunrise  
Or if there will ever be any appreciation for being loyal.


It's me that should pay back to Postcrossing because it gave me so, so many wonderful moments and lots of joy, not Postcrossing that should reward me for having been a member for so long and sending so many cards ("loyalty"). I am rewarded by the cards I receive back, the nice thank you messages and kind words on postcards, the people that I met. I feel like I owe Postcrossing, not the other way around.

By the way, the supporter's badge only turns up in your profile if you donate 10 € or more. You can support Postcrossing without it being visible to everyone. I wouldn't want such a badge, I don't like standing out.

I guess it's worth discussing to increase limits after a certain point, but for some reason I do not like the idea of paying for it at all. But I also think it's worth remembering that it's not always easy to limit yourself, it's often easier to have a restriction from outside. Of course in theory no one has to send more than they want to or can afford to, but in practice it's not so easy to make yourself stop sending postcards in a given month when you've used your budget but there are still so many days left until the next month and you have free slots. I regularly send more than I think I should, although I hardly ever exhaust my personal card limit. Obviously, if you can afford to send more, these limits can be annoying, especially in the beginning.
I also wonder if making it possible to buy extra travelling slots would unbalance the distribution between "wealthy" countries and "poor" countries on Postcrossing even more, and if that is desirable. But it's not something I've really thought through. ;)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
nordbaer
Member
******


Avatar


Posts: 2818
Registered: 10-5-2007
Location: Düsseldorf
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer
Member Is Offline

Mood: recovering

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 10:10 AM


:thumbup:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Nadjafee
Member
*****




Posts: 245
Registered: 6-4-2013
Location: Munich/Nuremberg
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nadjafee
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 10:28 AM


After roughly 4 months of membership, drawing new addresses immediately when one of my cards gets registered, my sending limit is now at 10.

I would prefer it to be at least 20, but paying for it does not seem like a good option for me. I like that the sending limit is tied to your cards being registered, and only sending more cards will increase your limit further. I could imagine the increase to be determined by other milestones, too - like how long you've been an active member, or lower the necessary amount for the next increment. But buying card allowances ... feels really wrong to me.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Gape
formerly known as Pelle
***




Posts: 28
Registered: 6-11-2016
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Gape
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 10:31 AM


Caution!: Be informed that following text is not suited for thin-skinned people who take life too seriously. Stop reading now if you feel affronted by my blunt speech!
It is okay to discuss about a kind of paid membership, but it's not okay to equate a donation with a membership. A donation is a gift! No one should feel pressured to donate. Did you ever asked for the cake after you passed the gift to the birthday child? I defy anyone to do it! I donate blood; does that mean I can waltz into the next hospital and ask for a bag of blood? I have got an organ donor card - so I am the first one who's getting a new heart if I need one? I donate for an orphan asylum in Africa - next time I'll ask for child to take it with me!
Some people can't donate money because they don't have enough of it. How should they feel when they see that other people have more privileges because of a donation!?

View user's profile View All Posts By User
Jari-chan
Member
***


Avatar


Posts: 24
Registered: 20-4-2013
Location: Steinbockland
Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: Jari-chan
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 10:50 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Nadjafee  
But buying card allowances ... feels really wrong to me.


Would feel wrong to me, too.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Gape
formerly known as Pelle
***




Posts: 28
Registered: 6-11-2016
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Gape
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 12:03 PM


Quote: Originally posted by fuzzinella  

I mean, will PC always and forever be the way it is?


That's a good question and it's worth to find a way to keep this beautiful project running! :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User
sannah82
Member
*****




Posts: 498
Registered: 14-3-2008
Location: SE Minnesota
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: sannah_
Member Is Offline

Mood: GermanMathMama

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 03:26 PM


Quote: Originally posted by fuzzinella  
I wonder what it will be like in a few years, when Paulo has become old and bald-headed ...


"In a few years"!?! :D
Don't make Paulo read that! *giggling*
View user's profile View All Posts By User
sannah82
Member
*****




Posts: 498
Registered: 14-3-2008
Location: SE Minnesota
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: sannah_
Member Is Offline

Mood: GermanMathMama

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 03:54 PM


Quote: Originally posted by WRITE SHOP ROBERT  
Limits?? OK, I understand the concept, but maybe shouldn't supporters have a different limit structure? I know that would mean adjusting the programming, but I did give you my gift of money.

Flame away!!


I gave my "gift of money" for support. Voluntarily. Nothing else. I don't expect anything back except for the purpose of the project itself.

And being a member for more than five years now, I have a limit of 62 cards to send, but my median of cards traveling is about half that much.
I appreciate the change of policy (sending more than five cards at a time) very early during my membership. I used to have a second account, too, back in 2008 which I closed after a few months when I discovered the forum as another opportunity to send more cards than my official limit.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
honzuki
Member
*****




Posts: 710
Registered: 31-8-2011
Location: Tahiti
Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 06:18 PM


Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
It's me that should pay back to Postcrossing because it gave me so, so many wonderful moments and lots of joy, not Postcrossing that should reward me for having been a member for so long and sending so many cards ("loyalty"). I am rewarded by the cards I receive back, the nice thank you messages and kind words on postcards, the people that I met. I feel like I owe Postcrossing, not the other way around.


:love:

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
I also wonder if making it possible to buy extra travelling slots would unbalance the distribution between "wealthy" countries and "poor" countries on Postcrossing even more, and if that is desirable. But it's not something I've really thought through. ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Gape  
Some people can't donate money because they don't have enough of it. How should they feel when they see that other people have more privileges because of a donation!?


:thumbup:
And I, too, am kind of embarrassed by the badge. It's not like I give millions... :embarassed:
View user's profile View All Posts By User
VeniceSunrise
Member
****




Posts: 179
Registered: 4-11-2011
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 06:55 PM


Thanks, Vicki, for explanation. It is much appreciated. I still think though that the actual number of members is smaller because people create several accounts.

Just as a side note, I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I've seen quite a few people in the US sub-forum alone who complained about the cost of international mail. It might even be possible that some only do US to US swaps because of that. I was wondering what would happen if there was an option to send/receive to/from their country only? Sometimes people quit because of temporary financial hardships. The int'l postage is 3 times as high as domestic, actually even a bit more ($.33 vs $1.10). By quitting completely, they disrupt the actual statistics. But perhaps they can afford the domestic shipment. It could be something like an option that they can switch on and off. But this way they wouldn't quit and the amount of cards sent will still grow nicely. Actually, faster because it takes 1-3 days within the US for a card to be delivered. I'm sure in other countries this could also be an option some people might enjoy. I understand that this might not be much fun for some, but on the other hand we wouldn't have most cards travel between only a few biggest and most active countries. Part of the amount from US, Germany, Finland, Netherlands, Russia, China, etc. would go to others in their own country who have selected this option (then they would receive cards from their own countries only, unless they switch back to regular). Thus, there would be a bigger diversity among those who send internationally because of decreased numbers of cards from the biggest players. Again, this is just a thought, I personally can send anywhere and any amount, but I'm sure there are some people who would love to have such an option.


Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  

I do not like the idea of paying for it at all.


Neither do I. But how else can we get an increase then? After 200 cards you get only 1 card increase for every 50 cards. That's why people have several accounts. So, 424,391 members that I see right now should really be divided by two. In a couple of other forums (not here) I've seen so many people who have 2-3 accounts, and I think they make up at least half of all people participating in these forums. But I think they're more than half actually. They're from some of the most contributing countries. Here on PC some people even put in their profiles the links to their other accounts.

Also, often cards travel a very long time. 100 days is not uncommon. All this waiting can actually put one's enthusiasm down. Just like it happened to two of my friends I've mentioned before. They gave up waiting.


Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
it's not always easy to limit yourself... in practice it's not so easy to make yourself stop sending postcards in a given month when you've used your budget


But this should be only a given person's worry, not the rest of people. PC is not responsible for one's overspending. So, if someone who can't manage his budget complains about overspending and wants others to have the same limits so it would be easier for him not to spend, then it's a not fair for those who are good managers of their expenses.

Quote: Originally posted by siobhan  
Obviously, if you can afford to send more, these limits can be annoying


Exactly!


Quote: Originally posted by nordbaer  
I do not like the idea of buying the possibility to send more cards.
(I also wouldn't like it if I were not allowed to send the maximum of 100 cards.)
Could be the start of something more - "pay xx $ and postcrossing will automatically register all your cards before expiring!" or "for only xxx $ you get the PC-Gold Card with unlimited card sending, automatical registering of all your cards one day after sending and one dinner per year with a member of the PC-Staff! (For xx $ more you make sure it will always be Paulo...)"


I really don't understand where some people get these weird ideas. Before we had "special countries", now - automatic registrations and dinners... Are we discussing dinners here? Hello?

If you don't want to send more cards, that's fine. No one is forcing you. But if others do want to send more, why prevent them? Why try making them like everyone in the crowd? People are different and have different interests and needs. It's really not that hard to try to understand this.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
VeniceSunrise
Member
****




Posts: 179
Registered: 4-11-2011
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 07:05 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Nadjafee  
After roughly 4 months of membership, drawing new addresses immediately when one of my cards gets registered, my sending limit is now at 10.

I would prefer it to be at least 20, but paying for it does not seem like a good option for me. I like that the sending limit is tied to your cards being registered, and only sending more cards will increase your limit further. I could imagine the increase to be determined by other milestones, too - like how long you've been an active member, or lower the necessary amount for the next increment. But buying card allowances ... feels really wrong to me.


Excellent point! But if there's no way to increase the limits, then what can we really do if not pay for it? I'd rather have all this for free too! Not because 10 Euros make a difference, but because paying for extras might breed favoritism and pride. Rewards like these really should be earned, not bought. But if they can't be earned, I'm willing to purchase them, no problem here. I'm open to any possibility.

I wish they changed the rules and after 200 cards you'd get, say, 1 card increase per each 20 sent, not 50. So with each 100 cards you get 5 more cards to send. 20 cards can be easily sent in one week. This only motivates and encourages, and for some crazy collectors it would be a gift from heaven. :bigsmile: 50 cards sounds like an eternity, especially with these long traveling times.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
lncrou7
Member
*****




Posts: 410
Registered: 16-12-2010
Location: AUSTIN, TEXAS, USA
Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2013 at 08:06 PM


Quote: Originally posted by VeniceSunrise  

I was wondering what would happen if there was an option to send/receive to/from their country only? Sometimes people quit because of temporary financial hardships. The int'l postage is 3 times as high as domestic, actually even a bit more ($.33 vs $1.10). By quitting completely, they disrupt the actual statistics. But perhaps they can afford the domestic shipment. It could be something like an option that they can switch on and off. But this way they wouldn't quit and the amount of cards sent will still grow nicely. Actually, faster because it takes 1-3 days within the US for a card to be delivered. I'm sure in other countries this could also be an option some people might enjoy. I understand that this might not be much fun for some, but on the other hand we wouldn't have most cards travel between only a few biggest and most active countries. Part of the amount from US, Germany, Finland, Netherlands, Russia, China, etc. would go to others in their own country who have selected this option (then they would receive cards from their own countries only, unless they switch back to regular). Thus, there would be a bigger diversity among those who send internationally because of decreased numbers of cards from the biggest players. Again, this is just a thought, I personally can send anywhere and any amount, but I'm sure there are some people who would love to have such an option.


But this would only work if the option was available to people from countries with lots of members only. Imagine, for example, what would happen if the 5 members from Nicaragua decided to turn on that option and send cards only among themselves?


Quote: Originally posted by VeniceSunrise  

If you don't want to send more cards, that's fine. No one is forcing you. But if others do want to send more, why prevent them?

Because that's how the system works. Why would Postcrossing have to agree with everything that some people want? Yes, everyone is allowed to wish the site to be whatever they would like it to be, but that doesn't mean it should and will be like that.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator
*********


Avatar


Posts: 5832
Registered: 30-11-2005
Location: Hindmarsh Island Australia
Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo
Member Is Offline

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 12:59 AM


Quote: Originally posted by fuzzinella  
Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  

Postcrossing is not a corporation. It is owned and run by Paulo Magalhães with the help of the Postcrossing Team. Paulo is self-employed and there are Postcrossing expenses other than servers that have to be paid for.


I have always thought that PC was his only job and wondered how he´d make a living out of it ;)


For several years in the beginning both Paulo and Ana had a 'day job' each to fund the running of Postcrossing.

I can remember SMSing Paulo discreetly at his workplace several times when one of the sites crashed and he needed to reboot a server.

These days Postcrossing is a full-time job and there is no time for a 'day job'.

Paulo and Ana don't live extravagantly. The Postcrossing Team also do a fair bit of voluntary work connected with both sites and the project.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator
*********


Avatar


Posts: 5832
Registered: 30-11-2005
Location: Hindmarsh Island Australia
Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo
Member Is Offline

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 01:01 AM


Quote: Originally posted by honzuki  

Quote: Originally posted by Gape  
Some people can't donate money because they don't have enough of it. How should they feel when they see that other people have more privileges because of a donation!?


:thumbup:
And I, too, am kind of embarrassed by the badge. It's not like I give millions... :embarassed:


You can always request that you not have the badge if you donate. Many members do this. They are just happy to donate and don't want the recognition shown.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator
*********


Avatar


Posts: 5832
Registered: 30-11-2005
Location: Hindmarsh Island Australia
Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo
Member Is Offline

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 01:12 AM


Quote: Originally posted by fuzzinella  

I wonder what it will be like in a few years, when Paulo has become old and bald-headed and wants to retire on Postcard Island.


How did you find out about the island??????? :wink1: :wink1:

View user's profile View All Posts By User
VeniceSunrise
Member
****




Posts: 179
Registered: 4-11-2011
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 01:24 AM


Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  

But this would only work if the option was available to people from countries with lots of members only. Imagine, for example, what would happen if the 5 members from Nicaragua decided to turn on that option and send cards only among themselves?


Easily - have this option available only to the countries that have the biggest number of members. If I move to Monaco tomorrow, I wouldn't want to send cards to people who live there! :bigsmile:

But I think such an option would only help unload some amount of repeat country cards from the biggest players. And everyone is happy. Who isn't tired of a zillion cards they get from certain countries, let me not name them? I have a penpal who stopped postcrossing because she kept getting way too many repeat countries and was bored. If part of the big countries' cards were sent to these countries (between those who chose to), this would only help decrease the repeat country cards.

Also, this option might help some people reach higher limits. This is one of the reason why I brought this topic up. Or, perhaps, maybe this option should be available only after a number of cards sent, I don't know. But I'm positive there are people who would love such an option.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
VeniceSunrise
Member
****




Posts: 179
Registered: 4-11-2011
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 01:53 AM


Quote: Originally posted by lncrou7  
Why would Postcrossing have to agree with everything that some people want? Yes, everyone is allowed to wish the site to be whatever they would like it to be, but that doesn't mean it should and will be like that.


They don't have to agree with anything at all. It's their project and they decide. I just thought that since this is a Suggestions for Improvement forum, suggestions are welcome. I have just expressed some of them. I'm not alone with the idea of increased limits. Not a big deal if these suggestions will never be accepted, it's not the end of the world. I thought PC would only benefit if people sent more cards.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
honzuki
Member
*****




Posts: 710
Registered: 31-8-2011
Location: Tahiti
Country Flag:
France

France
Postcrossing Username: honzuki
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 06:09 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Mundoo  
You can always request that you not have the badge if you donate. Many members do this. They are just happy to donate and don't want the recognition shown.


Thank you for letting me know ! I will send a message.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Nadjafee
Member
*****




Posts: 245
Registered: 6-4-2013
Location: Munich/Nuremberg
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nadjafee
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 09:49 AM


I admit I don't understand the idea of sending and receiving only in your own country. The main idea of Postcrossing is that it is worldwide. I have sending and receiving within my own country enabled. But the mix is what makes Postcrossing so great.

If you want to exchange only with specific countries or people or only want to receive specific cards, there are always the forums. They are so big now that it's possible to find RRs for practically any theme or country there. This will also enable you to send out as many postcards as you like.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
nordbaer
Member
******


Avatar


Posts: 2818
Registered: 10-5-2007
Location: Düsseldorf
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer
Member Is Offline

Mood: recovering

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 10:01 AM


:thumbup:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
grizzabella
Member
****


Avatar


Posts: 153
Registered: 26-8-2012
Location: northern Germany
Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: grizzabella
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 10:38 AM


If you have too many cards and want to send more, you can send me one or two or three or even ten or as much as you like every day :D
View user's profile View All Posts By User
VeniceSunrise
Member
****




Posts: 179
Registered: 4-11-2011
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 11:23 AM


Gladly, if I can also receive as many.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
lncrou7
Member
*****




Posts: 410
Registered: 16-12-2010
Location: AUSTIN, TEXAS, USA
Country Flag:
Seychelles

Seychelles
Postcrossing Username: lncrou7
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 01:49 PM


Quote: Originally posted by VeniceSunrise  

They don't have to agree with anything at all. It's their project and they decide. I just thought that since this is a Suggestions for Improvement forum, suggestions are welcome. I have just expressed some of my them. I'm not alone with the idea of increased limits. Not a big deal if these suggestions will never be accepted, it's not the end of the world. I thought PC would only benefit if people sent more cards.


Suggestions are welcomed, no problem with that. I only wrote that because you seemed to say that people who disagree with this particular suggestion wanted to prevent people from sending more cards.

I understood your point like this: if the limit increases, it will not affect the people who don't want to send more cards, therefore, they shouldn't try to stop this from happening. The people who want to send more cards will be happy, and those who don't should just be happy for them since it doesn't affect them. However, some people have reasons for not wanting this increase, they think that an increase would actually affect them. Therefore, their reasons are as valid as anyone else, and have nothing to do with just wanting to stop other people from getting what they want.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
VeniceSunrise
Member
****




Posts: 179
Registered: 4-11-2011
Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 11:18 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Nadjafee  
I admit I don't understand the idea of sending and receiving only in your own country. The main idea of Postcrossing is that it is worldwide. I have sending and receiving within my own country enabled. But the mix is what makes Postcrossing so great.

If you want to exchange only with specific countries or people or only want to receive specific cards, there are always the forums. They are so big now that it's possible to find RRs for practically any theme or country there. This will also enable you to send out as many postcards as you like.


I just read another thread here https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=58041&page=2 and this is exactly why these things happen - too many people participating from certain countries. That's why people get many of the same countries drawn at one time.

If people had an option to send/receive within their own country only, even if it was 10% of all postcrossers in a given country, all other countries would get fewer cards from these countries with largest number of participants. Even 1 out of 10 cards would make a difference. Plus PC would have many more cards sent overall. If it takes me up to 3 days to get my cards delivered within the US (and I've heard of 1 day in Germany, for example), in one month I can send 10 cards, and in one year - over 100. That's only if I had 1 card to send at a time. But if it takes 100 days to Russia or China, I can only send 3 or so cards a year with such slow delivery! This is insane. And this might be one of the biggest reason why people quit, being tired of waiting. And no one wins, we all lose. Look how many inactive accounts there are!

I think there are many ways to improve the system. Yes, PC is about international mail, but we also do receive cards from our own countries anyway. Why not make this option available? I'm sure most people will still prefer int'l mail but many people will benefit from sending withing their own country. Or they can send part of their cards overseas and part withing their own country. I don't see a problem why not. There are lots of students here who aren't wealthy at all and this option might be a huge help for them moneywise. PC is about the cards, not just mere country collecting. It's the same as traveling to a place for a "I've been there" check mark, but in reality spending 30 minutes at a train station and not seeing the town.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
 Pages:  1  2  3

  Go To Top

Imprint