Postcrossing Official Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Increased limits for supporters?
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States
Postcrossing Username: VeniceSunrise

[*] posted on 13-8-2013 at 11:21 PM

I also know - from what I read here on this forum and on several others - that there are people who can't afford sending many cards overseas but can do that within their own countries. I mentioned this before already. That's why they quit the official PC and do tags and swaps withing their own country. Not everyone is rich and many people are on a budget, but they want to keep their hobby.

In the US I can track my packages, and letters/cards take 1-3 days, and almost never get lost. I never had any lost myself, but I had plenty of mail lost when sending overseas. I'm very confident in the US mail services and would love to do part of my swaps within the US, even though I can send mail anywhere in the world, I'm blessed with a good job. But I understand those who can't, and I personally know a girl with two kids who was a postcrosser but had to give up because her kids' needs grew and she could only send a couple of cards at a time. And when they took forever to be delivered, she gave up. I'm sure, she would be happier if she could send 3 times as many cards for the same money within the US. And not wait for ages either.

But honestly, this is not my project, and I really shouldn't spent time worrying about it. I can survive with my present limits anyway. Just thought that there are some ways to improve things and it's only logical.
Nadjafee

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nadjafee

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 09:56 AM

This is one of the reasons I rarely visit this forum. People always complaining about receiving too many cards from the big countries. Why don't all the Germany, Americans, Russians just quit and everybody else will be much the happier for it??

gran8
formerly known as gran7

Country Flag:
UK

UK
Postcrossing Username: gran8

Mood: Happy to be with my family :)

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nadjafee  
This is one of the reasons I rarely visit this forum. People always complaining about receiving too many cards from the big countries. Why don't all the Germany, Americans, Russians just quit and everybody else will be much the happier for it??

For every one who complains, I bet there are 100 who don't - like me. I didn't start Postcrossing to "get" rare countries, or unusual stamps, but to connect, however briefly with someone I didn't know. As time has gone on, I have swapped on the Forum for cards I particularly like - I even mention them on my official profile - but I still love the "clunk" of the letterbox, NO MATTER where the next card comes from. So no, Nadjafee, I don't want the big senders to go away!

As far as paying for extras, I'm not comfortable with there being a sliding scale of members, even though I know this happens everywhere else, credit cards, shopping sites etc. But that's the point - this ISN'T everywhere else, this is something different, more of a community.

You can send AND receive on the Forum, and you get to choose where from/to. If you want to send more cards, then here's the place :)
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nadjafee  
Why don't all the Germany, Americans, Russians just quit and everybody else will be much the happier for it??

Don't worry, a few years ago people were complaining about all the cards from Finland but I - and others - always loved them. Now, of course I'm sorry they don't arrive more often. The same goes for German, American and Russian cards. They each have their own character and almost all of us appreciate them.
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gran7  

You can send AND receive on the Forum, and you get to choose where from/to. If you want to send more cards, then here's the place :)

Sometimes people don't have that much time for hanging around on the forum and reading tons of topics in order to find swappers. They may like the surprise factor we have with the official PC. Or having all the addresses emailed to them instead of writing back and forth those U2Us, asking for an address, which means no more surprise since they know what country the card will come from. And then cleaning their inbox because it's too full, and all the addresses are in there, which they'd lose unless they spend time copying them somewhere else. And if a card is lost, they may have to ask for the address again to resend the card if they've deleted that email. I could go on and on, but I guess everyone who spends time on this forum knows what it's like. I spend very little time and I already see how many steps one has to do to swap a few cards. It might be a hassle and time consuming. I'd rather spend the same time doing something fun, like writing my cards!
nordbaer

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: Nordbaer
Member Is Online

Mood: still here

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 06:01 AM

Surprising, how many disadvantages one can find in a good thing if one wants to find them...
People who post here daily should be able to find some appropriate tags amongst the "tons of topics"...
Looking into this thread https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=15902 makes it very easy to send and received cards...
Oh, and - we live in the age of Excel, so it should be possible for everyone to store an address...
nyassa

Country Flag:
United Kingdom

United Kingdom
Postcrossing Username: nyassa

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by VeniceSunrise  

Sometimes people don't have that much time for hanging around on the forum and reading tons of topics in order to find swappers. They may like the surprise factor we have with the official PC. Or having all the addresses emailed to them instead of writing back and forth those U2Us, asking for an address, which means no more surprise since they know what country the card will come from. And then cleaning their inbox because it's too full, and all the addresses are in there, which they'd lose unless they spend time copying them somewhere else. And if a card is lost, they may have to ask for the address again to resend the card if they've deleted that email. I could go on and on, but I guess everyone who spends time on this forum knows what it's like. I spend very little time and I already see how many steps one has to do to swap a few cards. It might be a hassle and time consuming. I'd rather spend the same time doing something fun, like writing my cards!

I don't often participate actively in forum swaps but when I do, there is no hassle.

1. Choose Round Robins, especially the large groups such as the monthly 50 or Alternative RRs. You get to write large numbers of cards more or less all at once and the addresses are sent to you all together.

2. Have the u2u with the addresses forwarded to your email address.

3. Set up a simple spreadsheet if you want to keep track.

Two or three steps for a lot of cards. Simples!
VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nordbaer  
Surprising, how many disadvantages one can find in a good thing if one wants to find them...
People who post here daily should be able to find some appropriate tags amongst the "tons of topics"...
Looking into this thread https://forum.postcrossing.com/viewthread.php?tid=15902 makes it very easy to send and received cards...
Oh, and - we live in the age of Excel, so it should be possible for everyone to store an address...

I don't know how about others, but I rarely visit this forum. And if I do, I only just go to a few tags that I have bookmarked. I still prefer the surprise we have with the official PC, so I don't participate in many tags anyway, and I doubt that in the future I will get very active in them.

I've been checking and posting in this thread lately only because this is a topic I'm interested in. I think I've posted here more than in the rest of the forum altogether. But thanks for the link anyway, I've never seen that thread. Maybe I'll look at some of these tags.

PS. Excel - yes, it's a way to keep track. Yet it still requires writing back and forth, requesting the address. Too much work, plus to me it makes a hobby look like a duty. Not my thing. I like the spontaneity of the official PC. I know of some people who keep an extensive track on the Excel and I've even seen the screenshots of those lists. My goodness, no, thanks, I'd feel so bored and formal, meticulously recording every detail... I'd rather get an email with all the info in it, send a card, move that email to a different folder and voila!

VeniceSunrise

Country Flag:
United States

United States

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 05:14 PM

nyassa, yes, that might work. I never even knew of 50 people RR. The RR I once participated had only 5 people. Thanks for the idea! :)

ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland
Postcrossing Username: ninja

Mood: :ninja:

[*] posted on 13-5-2018 at 12:43 PM

:thumbup: for this idea.

For me the low limit of traveling cards at the start is the most frustrating part of my first two months as a postcrosser. Because some cards take a long time to arrive, it feels like it takes forever to be able to send a new card, which is needed to eventually get a higher limit. With a few more cards traveling, it wouldn't matter so much if a few of them need a long time or expire, or if the recipient only logs in once a month etc. So I'd be happy to pay to increase the limit.
Draumar
formerly known as Birgitta

Country Flag:
Iceland

Iceland
Postcrossing Username: Draumar

[*] posted on 29-7-2018 at 05:14 PM

:thumbup: I would be more than willing to pay for extra slots, postcrossing should maybe have something called premium for those who would like to pay for the project and give them something extra and a non paying for those who does not wish to pay, supporting the project is fine but sometimes I wonder why people on top never give anything to the project, if they can afford to send so much then 10 euros is nothing.
Petre

Country Flag:
Netherlands

Netherlands
Postcrossing Username: Petre

[*] posted on 17-8-2018 at 04:08 PM

I would be in favor of extra options for sponsors, however it should not be something from the basic options that Postcrossing has.

- The extra slots I would not suggest the first 6 months. You want that option to be available to people who are motivated to stay on for more then a couple of months.

I would like to see small things that do not touch the basic working, but do make it more attractive to (stay a) sponser.. i.e.:

- the option to save a 'standard message' as hurray message. You can suplement/edit the message when registering a card. The receiver of the message would no know the differance, but it would make registering from a mobile divice a bit easier.
- to be able to have a bit bigger picture on your profile
- to increase the u2u storage limit on the forum
- to get special discounts from the webshop/partners of postcrossing
- acces to a part of the forum for sponsors
- acces to extended stats (own; country; overall etc.)

All of this does not limit or canibalize options for regular members, but could make donation a bit more interesting. Als if an option is 'tested' on sponsors and deemed useful for all, you could make it available for all members.

If it would help sustaine postcrossing better, I would be in favor.
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 18-8-2018 at 07:43 PM

I don't understand why anyone should expect a reward for a donation in sponsoring Postcrossing? To donate is giving without expecting a reward. The world would be a very sad place if we expected rewards for all the good charitable things we do and then say what will you give us in return.

There's a lot of folks that enjoy this site because it's free and in being free it allows them to pay for the price of a card and a stamp to participate. I'm retired now and I hope one day, if I don't have the cash, I'll be able to continue with Postcrossing, free of charge and not be segregated because I couldn't afford all the extras.
-Bille-
German Community moderator

Country Flag:
Germany

Germany
Postcrossing Username: -Bille-
Member Is Online

Mood: We need to keep hope alive and strive to do better. ☮ RIP Kofi Annan

[*] posted on 19-8-2018 at 06:44 AM

I absolutely agree with you Sfander :thumbup:

If I give a donation for a cause that is close to my heart, I do not expect anything for it - no matter if it's amnesty international, medecins sans frontieres, foodwatch or POSTCROSSING.
I am glad that I have found a hobby that I enjoy and I support it, because it is still possible for me at the moment.
And I do not want to have any advantages over others who do not donate for a variety of reasons.
At postcrossing we are all just people who have fun by writing and receiving postcards. nobody should be favored just because he can pay.

Thank god, Money don't makes the world go round at postcrossing.
Mundoo
Head Forum Administrator

Country Flag:
Australia

Australia
Postcrossing Username: mundoo

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 20-8-2018 at 02:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by -Bille-  

Thank god, Money don't makes the world go round at postcrossing.

But it certainly helps to keep the wheels on the track. :cool:
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sfander  
I don't understand why anyone should expect a reward for a donation in sponsoring Postcrossing? To donate is giving without expecting a reward. The world would be a very sad place if we expected rewards for all the good charitable things we do and then say what will you give us in return.

Not "expect a reward for a donation", but on top of donations a "buy more slots" or "more slots for premium members" model could make it easier for new and motivated members to become more active, while also increasing the money the site generates (and therefore give the owners more possibilities for future improvements etc.).

There's a lot of folks that enjoy this site because it's free and in being free it allows them to pay for the price of a card and a stamp to participate. I'm retired now and I hope one day, if I don't have the cash, I'll be able to continue with Postcrossing, free of charge and not be segregated because I couldn't afford all the extras.

It won't take anything away from you or anyone who enjoys this site because it's free. I think everybody here agrees that postcrossing should stay free to use exactly as it is now. Just give the option to become more active for those who want to. The users are already segregated between "old" and "new" members, also between members who can afford to send 1000s of cards and others who can't afford that. But this would allow new members to "catch up" faster with "old members" if they want to (and can afford to).

If I give a donation for a cause that is close to my heart, I do not expect anything for it - no matter if it's amnesty international, medecins sans frontieres, foodwatch or POSTCROSSING.

Same here, that's why I supported postcrossing too. But also I am willing to pay for hobbies I want to do more actively.

At postcrossing we are all just people who have fun by writing and receiving postcards. nobody should be favored just because he can pay.

We are all just people who have fun by writing and receiving postcards, but especially for new members it can be frustrating not to be allowed to write more postcards. How many postcards I write is currently not determined by how much time/money I want to spend on this hobby, but by how many slots the site allows me. Why not make it possible to participate more actively for people who want to and can afford to do so?

Or more general, for those who oppose this idea - would it make you enjoy writing and receiving postcards less, because other people can pay something to be able to write/receive more postcards?
Ieahleen

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: Ieahleen

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 06:23 PM

I already receive much more cards than I send because there are always more people that send and always not enough people that should receive cards...

I am totally against increasing the number of cards one can send in any way! There is already a great imbalance, this would make it worst
ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 18-10-2018 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ieahleen  
I already receive much more cards than I send because there are always more people that send and always not enough people that should receive cards...

I am totally against increasing the number of cards one can send in any way! There is already a great imbalance, this would make it worst

I don't see that logic. If I can send 5 cards I will receive 5 cards, if I can send 50 cards I will receive 50 cards. Does this make a difference to the overall balance?

I think the imbalance is because new members have to send some cards (at least 1) first before they receive any. Increasing the limits faster shouldn't make this any worse or better.
Sfander

Country Flag:
Canada

Canada
Postcrossing Username: Sfander

[*] posted on 19-10-2018 at 02:59 AM

@ninja, I don't understand why preferential treatments should be given to those able or wanting to donate to the project. It doesn't make any sense.

If it's more postcards you want, you can join all the available round robins and other exchange groups offered in the forum. I've been looking at them and they look like great fun, but right now, I've almost reached my limit on being able to send out more cards. :)

ninja

Country Flag:
Switzerland

Switzerland

[*] posted on 19-10-2018 at 08:18 AM

@ninja, I don't understand why preferential treatments should be given to those able or wanting to donate to the project. It doesn't make any sense.

It works in many other websites, that there are "free" and "premium" memberships with some extra benefits. Why does it not make sense here?

If it's more postcards you want, you can join all the available round robins and other exchange groups offered in the forum.

I did participate in some tags and RRs but I prefer the surprise we have with the official postcrossing.
Ieahleen

Country Flag:
Italy

Italy
Postcrossing Username: Ieahleen

[*] posted on 19-10-2018 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ninja  

I don't see that logic. If I can send 5 cards I will receive 5 cards, if I can send 50 cards I will receive 50 cards. Does this make a difference to the overall balance?

I think the imbalance is because new members have to send some cards (at least 1) first before they receive any. Increasing the limits faster shouldn't make this any worse or better.

If it would work like that I would not have any reason against it. It seems you have lost all the threads about imbalance between sent and received. This summer while I was inactive 12 of my cards got registered, so I should have gotten at most 12 cards (because I already had more received than sent before those 12 got registered, but don't remember the number). I got 17 cards.

User A, B and C both have one card due. D can send one card, they send to A, E can send two cards, they send to B and C. And F want to send three cards, and the system assign them A, B and C because even if they don't need more cards there are not other address in the queue. So, now A, B and C will get an extra card each, and next time they will need to send two cards before being able to get one back (or twelve)! (And next time also E will be able to send 3 cards!)

Now scale it to the number of active users that postcrossing have...

Occasional senders are those more affected, as they will need to wait more (send more) before getting anything back - instead of sending maybe one card a month and after a few weeks getting one card back, they send one card and receive 3-4 and will now have to wait 3-4 months before being able to receive an other card (because they still send one card per month)

If it is not an issue with the number of cards being sent in proportion of cards due there is something else going wrong.

On the side of caution, I am against being able to send more cards.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Imprint